Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269729 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Sonic Colors announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #375 on: September 04, 2010, 06:18:10 am »
Board is here but disabled? Well this will probably fail.

Anyway, Eggman's assistant returns with a counterpart:

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #376 on: September 04, 2010, 02:00:34 pm »
Why are people complaining about COOP? OH NOEZ PUZZLE STAGE AUGH
How about we just tell Sonic Team to remove it. Happy?

Oh, and complaining about breaking the fourth wall? Do we even have a source on what he says? Wait before you complain.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #377 on: September 04, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
That is the worst thing I have seen about the gameplay so far. Those are some of the worst 2D levels I have seen in any game in a long time.

Really strange how the co-op stuff turned out.

Do you complain about everything?

It looks fine, the levels are built like a puzzle spesifically for multiplayer, it is like a challenge mode. I think it looks like a fun distraction from the main game.  Probably a lot better then most Sonic Multiplayer so far

Although I wouldn't mind a VS. mode on the normal levels like Sonic Adventure 2.

Why do you ignore all of my positive responses?

It does not look fine. They are basic block stages you can find in even the simplest of flash games. If you consider anything you saw there a 'challenge' then I really pity you... Look how there is literally no level design. It is far more basic than the original Super Mario Brothers. Why would you defend this?

The retro-themed music is just general stuff because it is popular in games now. It has nothing to do with Sonic, it does not even sound like Master System-quality stuff.

Quote from: "Autosaver"
Why are people complaining about COOP? OH NOEZ PUZZLE STAGE AUGH

If you consider holding a button the same time as another person to climb a wall a puzzle then you... I do not even know. That is not any kind of puzzle at all, it is just basic stuff anyone who can make a flash game in an hour could do.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Board is here but disabled? Well this will probably fail.

Anyway, Eggman's assistant returns with a counterpart:

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #378 on: September 04, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
Oh, and complaining about breaking the fourth wall? Do we even have a source on what he says? Wait before you complain.

I was the one who brought it up, and if you read my posts you would see I said I will wait and see.

Seriously mang, do you actually read posts the whole way through?

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #379 on: September 05, 2010, 02:36:20 pm »
There was a video of someone playing through all of the first act of Planet Wisp Zone, it was hilarious because there was one part where the player kept trying to roll and try to spindash, but he could not!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #380 on: September 05, 2010, 04:01:04 pm »
It does not look fine. They are basic block stages you can find in even the simplest of flash games. If you consider anything you saw there a 'challenge' then I really pity you... Look how there is literally no level design. It is far more basic than the original Super Mario Brothers. Why would you defend this?
I suspect these are very early levels... Even the IGN preview said they found it a lot more challenging then the main game. I don't see a problem with the 'level design'... It is designed around being a puzzle, not being a Sonic level.

I 'defend' this because it is my opinion that it looks like fun and has the potential to be a great addition.

The retro-themed music is just general stuff because it is popular in games now. It has nothing to do with Sonic, it does not even sound like Master System-quality stuff.

And you wonder why we disagree... This is such a bad attempt to downplay something that generally considered a positive thing. 'Retro Stuff is popular' Common...
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #381 on: September 05, 2010, 04:06:48 pm »
How is that a "bad attempt to downplay" something other people like? It has nothing to do with Sonic, so why is it in there? It does not matter if some people like it, my point is that it is not related to Sonic stuff and is therefore pointless and stupid.

Even Shadi said this mode looks boring, that is like getting Aki to admit he does not like something about Arsenal.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #382 on: September 05, 2010, 04:22:13 pm »
How is that a "bad attempt to downplay" something other people like? It has nothing to do with Sonic, so why is it in there? It does not matter if some people like it, my point is that it is not related to Sonic stuff and is therefore pointless and stupid.

Even Shadi said this mode looks boring, that is like getting Aki to admit he does not like something about Arsenal.

Lots of great things that are now considered part of the sonic series were not in the very first game... Like metal Sonic, half pipes, chaos... Everything had to be new at one point and I don't see why something like music (that most people actually like) is such a big issue.

Shadi has been downplaying this game since the start simply because it is on the Wii.
Made by SEGA

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #383 on: September 05, 2010, 04:32:13 pm »
Don't you guys think this is going to be the sonic's highest-rated game since Sonic Adventure 2 (DC)?

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #384 on: September 05, 2010, 04:43:43 pm »
Quote from: "fernandeath"
Don't you guys think this is going to be the sonic's highest-rated game since Sonic Adventure 2 (DC)?
If Sonic Unleashed taught us anything, it's that game reviewers will hate Sonic even when his games are good.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #385 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:25 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
Quote from: "fernandeath"
If Sonic Unleashed taught us anything, it's that game reviewers will hate Sonic even when his games are good.
Most reviewers praised the daytime levels, they didn't like the long barely passable Werehog levels and having to go back to the levels to search for medals.
And most reviewers actually like Sonic Colors so far. Gametrailers even nominated it for best platformer of E3, and said Sonic 4 wasn't good enough to be nominated: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best- ... -e3/701256
And Destructoid told the haters to give it a chance when posting the gameplay trailer: http://www.destructoid.com/sonic-colors ... 0801.phtml

Also, reviewers liked the Sonic Rush games: http://www.gamerankings.com/ds/939095-s ... index.html

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #386 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:23 pm »

Lots of great things that are now considered part of the sonic series were not in the very first game... Like metal Sonic, half pipes, chaos... Everything had to be new at one point and I don't see why something like music (that most people actually like) is such a big issue.

Now you are putting words into my mouth. I did not say anything like "It has to be in the first game to be in the series at all". What I said was that it has nothing to do with Sonic stuff, like the whole design of the multiplayer stuff just does not work with Sonic stuff at all. Half pipes and Metal Sonic all fit in good with the series, generic Flash game-quality levels with basic sounding 'retro remixed' songs from other places in the game do not.

I realize new concepts need to come into the series sometimes, but they should at least fit. I am also not saying this single handedly ruins the game either, just saying it is the worst thing I have seen from it by far. Considering how much we HAVE seen, it is a bit of an achievement.

Shadi has been downplaying this game since the start simply because it is on the Wii.

I am not so sure, he seems to like it a lot otherwise.

A lot of Sonic games still get good reviews. Mainly the portable stuff though (outside of the PSP crap).

Sonic Unleashed had a LOT of major issues, most of the reviewers just did not play it long enough to appreciate the good aspects, and I have a hard time blaming them.

Speaking of that, probably the biggest problem with Sonic Unleashed was the strange and poorly designed deaths in the game. The game could only be enjoyed through memory or general dumb luck. A lot of Sonic Team games are like this now, but based on the new "KIDZ" theme of Colors, I expect it to be a bit too shallow and hold your hand too much, but I guess this is an improvement from constant mindblowing frustration.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #387 on: September 05, 2010, 05:17:46 pm »
Some even hated the daytime stages(including me) and even on that aspect sonic colors seems to do better. I've noticed a lot of branching paths and platforming whereas sonic unleashed was more of a trial and error qte automation game (in my opinion that is)

Offline Sharky

« Reply #388 on: September 05, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »
Now you are putting words into my mouth. I did not say anything like "It has to be in the first game to be in the series at all". What I said was that it has nothing to do with Sonic stuff, like the whole design of the multiplayer stuff just does not work with Sonic stuff at all. Half pipes and Metal Sonic all fit in good with the series, generic Flash game-quality levels with basic sounding 'retro remixed' songs from other places in the game do not.

I realize new concepts need to come into the series sometimes, but they should at least fit. I am also not saying this single handedly ruins the game either, just saying it is the worst thing I have seen from it by far. Considering how much we HAVE seen, it is a bit of an achievement.

No I didn't put words into your mouth at all... When did a Chao Garden ever fit into anything Sonic related before Sonic Adventure?... It was far removed from anything in a Sonic game before. But it worked, was actually quite fun and addictive and brought new fans to the series.

The whole Chao concepts is far more alien to Sonic then a co-op mode where you solve challenges...

Also I challenge you to make this on flash... Hell I'll give you 6 months to learn flash, just so you can prove me wrong.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #389 on: September 05, 2010, 07:13:05 pm »

No I didn't put words into your mouth at all... When did a Chao Garden ever fit into anything Sonic related before Sonic Adventure?... It was far removed from anything in a Sonic game before. But it worked, was actually quite fun and addictive and brought new fans to the series.

The whole Chao concepts is far more alien to Sonic then a co-op mode where you solve challenges...

Also I challenge you to make this on flash... Hell I'll give you 6 months to learn flash, just so you can prove me wrong.

Story wise, Chao were meant to be protected and saved from a larger force that they could not stop on their own. This is not very different from the tiny friends from the original games if you think about it.

Sonic Adventure was designed to be different and removed from the whole series anyways, Sonic Colors is supposed to be a return to before that, like they constantly say. I do not know why you are bringing up the Chao anyways, that was supposed to bring in new fans who could not play action games, this co-op stuff is just an extra unlockable that they think current fans will enjoy. Again those are the weakest attempts at 'puzzles' I ever saw, the guy who played it had a hard time because of the holes and time limits.

And if I were to make flash games I would not make shitty ones. Look on a site like Newgrounds or something, all of the laziest flash games have that kind of level design, color scheme and sound quality.