Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269548 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #435 on: September 15, 2010, 07:45:47 am »
If they manage to make the whole stage as epic as marble zone than that would make me a happy person
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #436 on: September 15, 2010, 04:15:08 pm »
I hated that zone. >_>

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #437 on: September 15, 2010, 04:18:45 pm »
That's because your a noob 8-)

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #438 on: September 15, 2010, 04:58:38 pm »
your a noob

lol
you're

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »
I take my sweet time with a demo of Sonic Colors and give my opinion overall after experiencing these levels and the ones from E3.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/blog/2010/0 ... -hands-on/

Also, first footage of Planet Wisp Act 2

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2010, 06:49:24 pm »
Why is act 2 so short? I have noticed all acts apart from the first are pretty short, which is kind of a turnoff. But yeah I shouldn't complain since there seem to be like 5 of tem. Still very nice gameplay footage nonetheless.. Looking forward to this game and might buy it on launch day :D

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »
The secondary acts being so short is really annoying, why can they not just make them all similar sizes?

What bugs me the most still is how all of the levels are still the same, just like in Sonic Unleashed. There is nothing to differentiate the worlds outside of art style, when in all of the Genesis games each level had it's own kinds of gimmicks or even special platform designs, even the Adventure games had them too, the first one especially. In Colors the only gimmicks are the Wisp powerups, and even then they all act the same in each zone.

Also, why make a 3D Sonic game if 90% of it is exclusively in 2D and the 3D stuff is boring straight away paths? Very far from "SONIC IS BACK!!!!!".

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2010, 07:20:15 pm »
Cool opinion Sanus.
Made by SEGA

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #443 on: September 19, 2010, 05:08:22 am »
Each Zone is a new theme with a new Wisp to try out. The levels are as large as the old 16-bit games, but with an emphasis on exploration. You can go back with a different Wisp and find new paths and secrets. For example, your first time through Tropical Resort, you will only have the Laser Wisp.

However, after you acquire the drill Wisp in Sweet Mountain, you can go back to TR and drill into the dirt to find new areas and secrets.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
The secondary acts being so short is really annoying, why can they not just make them all similar sizes?

What bugs me the most still is how all of the levels are still the same, just like in Sonic Unleashed. There is nothing to differentiate the worlds outside of art style, when in all of the Genesis games each level had it's own kinds of gimmicks or even special platform designs, even the Adventure games had them too, the first one especially. In Colors the only gimmicks are the Wisp powerups, and even then they all act the same in each zone.

Also, why make a 3D Sonic game if 90% of it is exclusively in 2D and the 3D stuff is boring straight away paths? Very far from "SONIC IS BACK!!!!!".

What is this I dont even

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2010, 06:28:18 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

Not really :P

I didn't say Sonic Colors was "the best Sonic game ever". I actually made it a point to say I did not yet think it was as good as the classics. Sonic Adventure had it's own level specific gimmicks, but who really gives a fig when each level in the game is basically one straight path with a few minor detours and the coding's all buggy? I certainly don't.

The wisps are a lot cooler then any of SA's "level gimmicks" and add a level of exploration to the game play that simply didn't exist in the Adventure games.

The game works very well, the wisps are very diverse and creative so far, nothing impairs the game's speed and sense of exhiliration. The game punishes you with alternate paths instead of insta-death bottomless pits. There is a decent amount of jumping, dodging, and avoidance in the 3D areas, so it's more then just "boring straight aways", and Planet Wisp was actually a pretty decent example of that. This game does a LOT right. It's true, there are no level specific gimmicks, but I fail to see how that's a game killer. It's not in the least, when we've got levels that have, so far, each specialized in the usage of specific wisps. And finally, the game being mostly 2D (even though it's far more evenly split then "90%") does NOT in any way detract from the fact that this is Sonic's best console game since his Genesis games.

The game could be better, that's a fact. But being great instead of neigh infallible doesn't mean the game is suddenly mediocre. Sonic Colors, bar some incredible screw up in the later levels, is a great game. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, he's back. And hopefully, his anniversary game will reflect and improve upon the design we see here, with level specific gimmicks and more platforming during the 3D sections.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #446 on: September 19, 2010, 11:21:44 pm »
I whole heartedly agree.  At this point, if the game can deliver a high quality experience with a certain level of polish and finesse, I'll forgive it for not being exactly what people think a "sonic game" really is.  

The only thing that bothers me at this point are those auto dashpad sequences that are left over from the SA days.  Hitting a dash pad and surrendering all character and camera input is not what I'd consider fun.  It might have been interesting at first for something like the whale chase in Emerald Coast, but in today's day and age it's totally unwanted.  I think Sonic &  Sega all stars racing had the right idea when they locked the camera behind the character during loops, really giving the sensation that you yourself were involved in this physics bending thrill.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #447 on: September 20, 2010, 06:09:18 am »
Quote from: "nuckles87"
I didn't say Sonic Colors was "the best Sonic game ever". I actually made it a point to say I did not yet think it was as good as the classics. Sonic Adventure had it's own level specific gimmicks, but who really gives a fig when each level in the game is basically one straight path with a few minor detours and the coding's all buggy? I certainly don't.

One straight path? Sonic Adventure 2 had a lot of straight away paths, but Sonic Adventure 1 has a lot of hidden extras and different routes to take. It was easy in that case, as a lot of characters shared some of the same levels so they would open up a bit. Still, that was 1998 for Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2 was designed with more of a score attack mentality than anything I think. They can do a lot more now, and for the record I think they have done a lot of good things to improve the controls after these games, though I think Adventure 2 still plays fine regardless.

The wisps are a lot cooler then any of SA's "level gimmicks" and add a level of exploration to the game play that simply didn't exist in the Adventure games.

My issue with the wisps is that they are just masks over basic level design that do not change outside of art. I do not think they are terrible or anything, but I do not see how you can say this stuff is way better than being sucked into a tornado with a hodgepodge of platforms in it in Windy Valley Zone, how the Sky Deck Zone tilts in all different directions altering the play field entirely, or how Twinkle Park Zone had those karts. All of this is not the most amazing stuff in the world, but they help make the experience more unique. Every level in Colors is bound to have the quick step straight away sections, pulleys and grind rails, and with most of this stuff you do not even have to press any buttons or hold anything. Nothing in the Adventure games was like that.

Something Shigs brought up is how the exploration has been helped by the player having to unlock the different wisps. Why are you not able to get to every section right from the beginning of the game like in the Genesis games? Most people who play these kind of games only play them once, so the majority of people are going to miss almost all of the level?

The game works very well, the wisps are very diverse and creative so far, nothing impairs the game's speed and sense of exhiliration. The game punishes you with alternate paths instead of insta-death bottomless pits. There is a decent amount of jumping, dodging, and avoidance in the 3D areas, so it's more then just "boring straight aways", and Planet Wisp was actually a pretty decent example of that. This game does a LOT right. It's true, there are no level specific gimmicks, but I fail to see how that's a game killer. It's not in the least, when we've got levels that have, so far, each specialized in the usage of specific wisps. And finally, the game being mostly 2D (even though it's far more evenly split then "90%") does NOT in any way detract from the fact that this is Sonic's best console game since his Genesis games.

Words like "Dodging" and "Avoidance" only make it so much more obvious to me that they are not dropping their twitch-based design that many of the newer Sonic games have now. All of the games designed around this are not very good so it is not helping me agree at all.

My problem with most of it being 2D is that the game is labeled as a 3D game. If they wanted to make a good 2D game they should have just worked on Sonic the Hedgehog 4 instead.

The game could be better, that's a fact. But being great instead of neigh infallible doesn't mean the game is suddenly mediocre. Sonic Colors, bar some incredible screw up in the later levels, is a great game. Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, he's back. And hopefully, his anniversary game will reflect and improve upon the design we see here, with level specific gimmicks and more platforming during the 3D sections.

Not saying it is mediocre, just trying to ague with how you just tossed the Adventure games to the side after only playing like three levels of this. Seems extremely harsh even with all of the problems those games have.

There is a lot of stuff I like, I think stuff like how the rocket move sends you into the sky diving motion from Unleashed is very clever, and there looks to be a level where you actually can go in the water without dying and there are whole platforms under there... I have missed that kind of setting in Sonic so much.

The fact is that they still obviously do not really know what makes a Sonic game a Sonic game anymore. I mean seriously, he cannot roll still. WHY!?  :cry:

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #448 on: September 20, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »
For those who love sonic colours updates, here have some more.

About this first one, if you don't like spoiling yourself too much of the game(since we have allready seen like 3 worlds). Maybe it's better not to see any "more". I personally regret I did and gonna stop from here on.

1.A new stage: Aquarium Park, wii & ds screenshots(SSMB)

2.Information about the new revealed blue wisp

And some facts about the game you may want to know as a fan or whatever.

• Cubot’s voice processor is broken – and stuck on “cowboy mode”.
• If you run out of Wisp power when underground in Drill mode you WILL die.
• FOXY FACT: Tails isn’t as keen on high speeds as you might think…
• Pits of death DO exist, however when you approach a section where this isn’t immediately obvious a hazard warning triangle will appear at the bottom of your screen so you do get some warning.
• FOXY FACT II: Tails’ toolbox is painted like the blue Tornado paint scheme, and even has his two-tail logo on it.
• Destroying all enemies in a built up area using a Wisp power or dash will get you a “SLAM” bonus.
• Starlight, star bright – is that a Motobug? Alright!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:26:47 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2010, 05:32:10 pm »
• Cubot’s voice processor is broken – and stuck on “cowboy mode”.
Why hello, 4Kids quality voice work. You love giving us random accents for no reason, don't you?

• FOXY FACT
Ooh, foxy. ^_^

These games should just be about Sonic and Tails from now on. Forget everyone else. :P