Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269219 times)

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #570 on: October 22, 2010, 04:55:29 pm »
fluffy, the more you post, the more scared I get.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #571 on: October 22, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »
xDDD

What? I'm just sayin', keep the fat mustached Italians away from Tails. Not even Pasqually is allowed to touch him. (Well... okay, maybe Pasqually can give Tails a hug, but no more than that!)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #572 on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:44 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Sonic Colours hasn't been trying to emulate a classic Sonic game... I think that was established right at the start.

They have said constantly how it is similar to the old games even though they usually are not because they misunderstood the styles.

I don't give a shit if it takes some ques from Mario. The original Sonic was designed because Yuji Naka played Mario games he admitted recently and frankly Mario Galaxy is a great game to emulate. Better that then any of the recent 3D Sonic games.

Because he played Mario games? No, it was designed to compete with Mario. They took some minor concepts, but made them way better in the process. Sonic Colors just strives to be the SAME as Mario games, much of the art, music and even sounds are extremely similar to them. It just makes SEGA look like copycats, especially when they released this the same year as Super Sonic Kart & Banjo-Kazooie All-Stars.

It just does not really feel much like a Sonic game - Or even that much like a SEGA game to me. Unleashed and Chronicles had these issues too. I assume it is just part of their new style for the series.

Sonic Colours is also made entirely in Sonic Team...

What about the story and script? Probably a lot of other things too, I have seen you talking about them. Every single line I have heard from Robotnik in this game is way more enjoyable than anything I have heard him say in a game since Sonic Adventure 2, and even there he did not have that many great quotes.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #573 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50:04 pm »
I thought Fluffychickens are supposed to scare you?
INB4 long detailed rant post about Sonic col-
o wai

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #574 on: October 22, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »
If you were talking about me... I barely mentioned it in my post. Nothing was ranting about the game either...

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #575 on: October 22, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »
I didn't finish it, sorry. Was saying some post coming about Sonic Colors compared to Mario.

Ha ha, just nevermind it. :)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #576 on: October 22, 2010, 10:10:52 pm »
Hey Sanus, seriously your exagurating a bit on the sonic colors copying mario thing. Yeah it's obvious they have copied stuff but sonic colors still looks like a sonic game, music sounds more sonic like than ever, the level design also resembles a lot of the classic style of level design. Meaning lots of more platforming than just mindlesly running.

"It just makes SEGA look like copycats"

I do kind of agree with you. After all stars racing and now this. They can do more original than this. Though as sonic colors is, the game looks great and most importantly, it looks like a 3d sonic game that could actually be lots of fun(for me at least). Have you seen the video's, the screens? Good stuff man.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:00:33 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #577 on: October 22, 2010, 10:32:23 pm »
Alright Sanus. Yes the script is written outside of Sonic Team but this is not exactly a negitive of Sonic Team. plenty of the best developers have outside talent write their scripts.

I thought you ment developed outside of Sonic Team.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #578 on: October 23, 2010, 03:25:34 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Hey Sanus, seriously your exagurating a bit on the sonic colors copying mario thing. Yeah it's obvious they have copied stuff but sonic colors still looks like a sonic game, music sounds more sonic like than ever, the level design also resembles a lot of the classic style of level design. Meaning lots of more platforming than just mindlesly running.

"It just makes SEGA look like copycats"

I do kind of agree with you. After all stars racing and now this. They can do more original than this Though as sonic colors is, the game looks great and most importantly, it looks like a 3d sonic game that could actually be lots of fun(for me at least). Have you seen the video's, the screens? Good stuff man.

[youtube:rn0g7o0g]LeRSCN0Ajn0[/youtube:rn0g7o0g]

Seriously though. I do not want to go into much detail about it, but things like Sweet Mountain just are not Sonic-like at all, but are in many Mario, Yoshi and Kirby games.

I cannot really agree with the music being "More Sonic-like than ever" because than that would mean this is something beyond what was ever possible in the series before! I do not think it really sounds like Mario music, but does not really remind of Sonic either.

I never really complained about the gameplay outside of stating I think it seems boring from what I saw.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #579 on: October 24, 2010, 12:33:40 am »

This looks hot.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #580 on: October 27, 2010, 08:36:45 am »
a reply to Sanus's comments in the Sonic 4 thread:

Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
i think something was lost in translation with what iizuka said. i think he meant that some games we see the humans and other times we wont. Eggman is human, so how is it impossible for humans to exist in the Sonicverse? crackdude makes an excellent point. the game is in space over the same planet as seen in Unleashed. We dont see humans as they are down on Earth and Sonic is up in space. Would colors be more of a sonic game if it shoehorned in references to SA2, featured Shadow backstory and had Emerald Coast return? this is a main series game in the same series as SA through to Unleashed, plain and simple.

I am not sure how much clearer I can explain this, seriously. Iizuka only said it was the next 3D Sonic game, not that it was a sequel to Sonic Unleashed or anything...

I do not know why you are trying to argue that it is without a doubt the next major Sonic game. If it does not take place in the same universe as every other one that is considered part of the main series then... It is not part of the main series.

I don't mind what your personal series order is, I personally consider 3D Blast a part of the main series despite also agreeing that it isn't actually considered so by Sonic Team or many fans.

However, if you're arguing that it is a concrete fact that Colors exists outside of the main series and that the game is some sort of reboot or is in some alternate universe where humans do not exist (meaning the Sonic seen in Colors has never experienced the events of SA1 through to Unleashed), then I'm going to have to say that you are flat out wrong. It is a main series game and it is the follow-up to Unleashed. It exists in the same universe that has a Green Hill Zone, a Station Square, a Soleanna and a Mazuri.

Here is the Iizuka interview you're referring to and here is the quote:
http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Platfor ... ic+colours

GAME.CO.UK: Could you tell us a bit about the story behind Sonic Colours? It looks more like the old games, which were set on Moebius, than the new-style Sonics set in Station Square...

We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side. The only human in the game is Dr Eggman, who tries to build this huge amusement park which, as you will see on the world map, ties all these planets together with a tractor beam.

Eggman is trying to use all of these planets for his own evil ends which will be revealed at a later time, and Sonic realises what he is trying to do and sets out to try and stop him. That is the main story behind Sonic Colours.

Okay, so he says two different worlds. But how does "two different worlds" suddenly mean "two different continuities"? The use of world in this sense is not to mean "two different planets in two separate universes", it is to mean that the humans have their own "world" and the talking animals exist in their own "world". Sometimes the worlds meet (Sonic Adventure, Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed) and other times the worlds do not meet (Sonic 1-4, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors). I can say that I live in my own world, doing all the human things I do. I can also say that lions in the jungle live in their own world, doing all the lion things that they do. We are each in our own worlds, but that is not to mean that the lion lives on some alternate universe of only lions and when I enter the jungle and meet the lion we have suddenly created a second universe of human/lion coexistence.  

Heroes especially proves my point. SA2 (filled with humans) introduced Shadow, who seemingly died, only to have returned in Sonic Heroes. Big and Rouge also return as a continuation of their characters as seen in Sonic Adventure 1&2 respectively. Despite Heroes having many links to to the mixed human/animal world of the SA series, Heroes does not feature a single human outside of Eggman. Does this mean that Heroes is a separate universe from SA1&2 and that all of it's events in the game (especially in Team Dark's story) had no impact on Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06?

Finally, here is an important sentence from the above interview:
Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side.

The use of "side" assumes that there is another "side" to the world in which the game takes place. Sonic's world has a human side, Sonic's world also has a fantastical non-human side. Per Iizuka's words, Colors is set on the non-human side. He does not say "alternate universe" or "alternate continuity". There IS a human side to the game, it's just that the game does not spend its time there. Evidence of that human side? Eggman's existence, the big blue planet as seen in Unleashed and, oh, the fact that the game is a follow-up to Unleashed. The quote below is pretty much the final word on the matter:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/21/so ... tion-game/

Takashi Iizuka, Producer, pointed this out during a presentation and said Sonic Colors is the follow up to Sonic Unleashed. Other games like last year’s Sonic and the Black Knight are branch titles.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #581 on: October 27, 2010, 02:15:51 pm »
I thought that Sonic just kinda went batshit after Sonic 1 through to Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I didn't really think any of them had any bearing on the others (apart from the characters coming back).

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #582 on: October 27, 2010, 05:43:56 pm »
Barry... What are you talking about with personal opinion on continuities? It is just a fact, I am not sure how you are missing any of this. Just because the game is higher quality than Sonic Advance 2 and is uses similar mechanics as Sonic Unleashed does not mean it is part of the main series. It takes place in the same series as the Advance games. Nothing wrong with this, just not the next major Sonic game. If it was part of the main series, it would be on all platforms at launch.

ITT Barry trying to warrant buying a Wii.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #583 on: October 27, 2010, 06:30:40 pm »
"If it was part of the main series, it would be on all platforms at launch."
Just like every Sonic game before Heroes :D

oh wait

Platforms don't matter. I just don't understand why you don't think it's a main game. It's the same universe as Unleashed, it has a regular Sonic plot, it has regular Sonic gameplay, it's been said to be one of the best Sonic games, it's made by Sonic Team..
What makes it a spinoff? I don't get it..
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #584 on: October 27, 2010, 07:03:57 pm »
I cannot believe you guys... Crackdude, that is the worst example yet, if that were the case, games like Shadow and Advance would be part of the main series.

===Easiest to understand list===

Main series:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Basic platformer
Sonic Adventure - Basic platformer
Sonic Unleashed - Basic platformer

Spinoffs:

Sonic 3D Blast - Platformer with extra gimmicks (Flickies)
Sonic CD - Platformer with extra gimmicks (Time travel)
Sonic Colors - Platformer with extra gimmicks (Wisps)

Do not begin to say some shit like "WEREHOG IS A GIMMICK". No, it is a genuine separate character.