Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269196 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #585 on: October 27, 2010, 07:09:27 pm »
Sonic Colours is not a mainline Sonic game, Hayes even stated recently again that Sonic Colours is for the younger audience. Sonic Heroes, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Unleashed were made in mind with everyone. Sonic Colours as noted by Hayes, is for the younger audience first and foremost.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #586 on: October 27, 2010, 07:40:15 pm »
(Directed from the s4e1 thread)

Imo if iizuka says it's part of the main series than we all need to stfu. He is the producer.

I mean imagine if you created a franchise and some random fan tells you your wrong about your own franchise.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #587 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Imo if iizuka says it's part of the main series than we all need to stfu. He is the producer.

He only said it is the next 3D game, not a sequel to Sonic Unleashed or anything. It is mostly 2D gameplay anyways. Also, Iizuka is known for lying constantly.

I mean imagine if you created a franchise and some random fan tells you your wrong about your own franchise.

He was not even related or interested in SEGA for the first two years Sonic existed. It is not 'his'.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #588 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:15 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
He only said it is the next 3D game, not a sequel to Sonic Unleashed or anything. It is mostly 2D gameplay anyways. Also, Iizuka is known for lying constantly.

Yeah but we could also argue that sonic unleashed isn't main because it's not a sequal to everything that came before it. I mean how the hell did all those pixar crack figures come from? Why is he gone from station square and is the world made out of real world inspired places.

Iizuka has said in many interviews that sonic colors is a main game and it does look like one in every way imo. I don't see a reason why I should argue about it when the "producer" confirms it is and since it takes place in space there is no way in contradicting that he could be in the same universe as he was in previous games.

The game could have been called sonic unleashed 2, would that have made it more canon for you?

He was not even related or interested in SEGA for the first two years Sonic existed. It is not 'his'.

Fair enough, but he still the big boss of the franchise (at least since recently)  :P

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #589 on: October 28, 2010, 12:54:59 am »
Yeah but we could also argue that sonic unleashed isn't main because it's not a sequal to everything that came before it.

Sonic Unleashed was a reboot.

Iizuka has said in many interviews that sonic colors is a main game and it does look like one in every way imo. I don't see a reason why I should argue about it when the "producer" confirms it is and since it takes place in space there is no way in contradicting that he could be in the same universe as he was in previous games.

The producer has only said that the game is the next 3D Sonic game, THE NEXT RELEASE. Not the next major game in the main series. I do not know why anyone would think this, especially when it is only on Nintendo platforms. He also said that there are two worlds that the characters are part of. This also has a style similar to the Advance/Rush games, not Unleashed, or the Adventure games, or the classic games... OR ANYTHING IN THE MAIN SERIES!

Before the game got any attention, it was stated that it was not the next major Sonic game. They have constantly said that this game is for a different market as Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and the main series so... I do not know what else to say. Just because it is a platformer on a console means nothing.

Again, this is all PR to make it sell better. Look, it is working on Barry, Crackdude and you just perfectly!

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #590 on: October 28, 2010, 06:09:17 am »
Takashi Iizuka, Producer, pointed this out during a presentation and said Sonic Colors is the follow up to Sonic Unleashed. Other games like last year’s Sonic and the Black Knight are branch titles.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/21/so ... tion-game/

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #591 on: October 28, 2010, 08:24:18 am »
Barry... What are you talking about with personal opinion on continuities? It is just a fact, I am not sure how you are missing any of this. Just because the game is higher quality than Sonic Advance 2 and is uses similar mechanics as Sonic Unleashed does not mean it is part of the main series. It takes place in the same series as the Advance games. Nothing wrong with this, just not the next major Sonic game. If it was part of the main series, it would be on all platforms at launch.

ITT Barry trying to warrant buying a Wii.

"It is just a fact"? Seriously Sanus, where the hell are you getting this "fact" from? Do you have quotes and links to interviews to back this up? When did a SEGA staff member state that Colors is a part of the Advance series and has no connections to Unleashed? Notice that we've all showen heaps of facts pointing to Colors being the follow-up to Unleashed and it being a main series game. What have you offered up?

Also, how can this game be a direct sequel to the Advance series? Is there some magical Sonic Colors cutscene that I missed showing Cream, Cream's mom, Gemerl and Emerl talking to Sonic about their past adventures in Sonic Advance? You're talking crazy.

As for that multiplatform comment, I think I've found the reason you're reluctant to accept our facts: you're a Wiicist.

Quote from: "crackdude"
Platforms don't matter. I just don't understand why you don't think it's a main game. It's the same universe as Unleashed, it has a regular Sonic plot, it has regular Sonic gameplay, it's been said to be one of the best Sonic games, it's made by Sonic Team..
What makes it a spinoff? I don't get it..

Agreed, he's giving me a headache. I almost think he's playing a joke on us. Next thing you know, he'll be arguing that the Mario in Mario Galaxy is not the same Mario as seen in Mario 64 but instead is a different Mario and that Mario Galaxy is in fact a sequel to Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. :P

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #592 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46:18 am »
This is all so confusing! And so pointless. Sonic has no solid plot to begin with. Gameplay wise this is regular Sonic. As such, and taking into account the producer said so or somehing, it's main series.

Sonic Unleashed is more of a spinoff than this.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #593 on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:40 am »
I'll accept that this series progression works:

the 2D classics
Sonic 1 ->  Sonic CD (optional) -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic 3 -> Sonic & Knuckles -> Chaotix (optional)

the old 3D aka clusterfuck of visual styles and gameplay
Sonic Adventure -> Sonic Adventure 2 -> Sonic Heroes -> Shadow the Hedgehog (optional) -> Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

the modern 3D
Sonic Unleashed -> Sonic Colors

However if this is being argued, it boggles my mind:
Sonic Advance (GBA) ->  Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) -> Sonic Advance 3 (GBA) -> Sonic Colors (Wii)

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #594 on: October 28, 2010, 10:18:24 am »
I wouldn't even include Sonic 06 with those other games. It should be its own separate category. So many things in that story that just totally contradicted every other game. (Elise having the blue Chaos Emerald most of her life?? What???)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #595 on: October 28, 2010, 10:31:25 am »
Well, as much as I hate '06, I personally included it as it did continue Shadow's story and in the end the time travel caused the whole thing to never occur. So no harm done to the overarching series plot. If anything, the time travel fix basically stuck Silver and Blaze back in the future so they have no hope of ever returning to the main series (here's hoping!). Also, '06 marked the end of the continuing storyline that Sonic Team was attempting to build since SA1. Still, I don't blame people for personally removing it. Hell, I wish Sonic Team themselves denounced it for the series.

Unleashed could be seen as a reboot, as it drops the whole United Federation/Shadow/Space Colony Ark stuff. However I think it's more of a house cleaning than reboot. All that stuff occurred before Unleashed, but Sonic Team chose not to mention it. This satisfies both camps, as Shadow could be chilling somewhere on the planet, it's just that we don't see him. Out of sight, out of mind, but not out of existence. Same for Empire City. It could be a part of the United Federation, and Station Square could be a few miles away, but they chose not to explicitly state these facts. Saves from needless exposition as found in Shadow and '06.

It has been hinted that the DS version of Colors will include additional story details not found in the Wii version, including cameos by Amy and Knuckles. And the Wii version features many badniks as seen in Sonic 1-4. So right there is proof that when Sonic Team wants to bring a character from the previous main series games back, they'll simply do so, bringing it back into sight and back into mind.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #596 on: October 28, 2010, 01:18:15 pm »
2D:
Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3&K, 4
3D:
SA 1, 2, Heroes, 06, Unleashed, Colors
Portable:
SA 1, 2, 3, Rush, Rush Adv

Notable Spinoffs:
Chaotix, Jam, SONIC SHUFFLE LOL (jk), Sonic Battle, Shadow
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #597 on: October 28, 2010, 01:46:59 pm »
I said Sonic Colors takes place in the same continuity as Sonic Advance, not that it is a direct sequel. Stop bending my posts into things they are not, that is Fluffy's job.

I have given all the proof. Stuff like "WELL ORBOT IS IN BOTH EVEN THOUGH HE LOOKS DIFFERENT", "WELL IT IS A PLATFORMER ON A CONSOLE EVEN THOUGH IT IS DESIGNED AROUND SPINOFF GIMMICKS" and "WELL IIZUKA SAID IT IS A BIG GAME, LETS IGNORE MIKE HAYES WHO SAID IT IS NOT" all do not mean shit, but yeah, because I dislike Wii that somehow means all of the facts I have shoved into all of your faces is somehow not correct.

I am not going to argue this anymore. I have even made lists that retards can understand. Of course I should not be expecting much from people who try and make the original set of Sonic games look bad in front of Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #598 on: October 28, 2010, 02:06:56 pm »
I said Sonic Colors takes place in the same continuity as Sonic Advance, not that it is a direct sequel. Stop bending my posts into things they are not, that is Fluffy's job.

I have given all the proof. Stuff like "WELL ORBOT IS IN BOTH EVEN THOUGH HE LOOKS DIFFERENT", "WELL IT IS A PLATFORMER ON A CONSOLE EVEN THOUGH IT IS DESIGNED AROUND SPINOFF GIMMICKS" and "WELL IIZUKA SAID IT IS A BIG GAME, LETS IGNORE MIKE HAYES WHO SAID IT IS NOT" all do not mean shit, but yeah, because I dislike Wii that somehow means all of the facts I have shoved into all of your faces is somehow not correct.

I am not going to argue this anymore. I have even made lists that retards can understand. Of course I should not be expecting much from people who try and make the original set of Sonic games look bad in front of Sonic the Hedgehog 4.
And what about this?
Sonic Colors is the follow up to Sonic Unleashed.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/21/so ... tion-game/

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #599 on: October 28, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
By what you're saying Sanus, Sonic Heroes is a spinoff. Gameplay is revolving a gimmick, it is in the "non-human" world, Cream is on it (which OBVIOUSLY makes it belong to the Advance continuity).

Either get your shit consistent or explain what bothers you so much in this game that it can't be considered main series..
SEG4GES