Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269195 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #600 on: October 28, 2010, 02:10:01 pm »
Are we complaining about Canon story in Sonic games?

You guys need to take a long hard look at yourselves!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #601 on: October 28, 2010, 02:12:17 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I said Sonic Colors takes place in the same continuity as Sonic Advance, not that it is a direct sequel. Stop bending my posts into things they are not, that is Fluffy's job.

I have given all the proof. Stuff like "WELL ORBOT IS IN BOTH EVEN THOUGH HE LOOKS DIFFERENT", "WELL IT IS A PLATFORMER ON A CONSOLE EVEN THOUGH IT IS DESIGNED AROUND SPINOFF GIMMICKS" and "WELL IIZUKA SAID IT IS A BIG GAME, LETS IGNORE MIKE HAYES WHO SAID IT IS NOT" all do not mean shit, but yeah, because I dislike Wii that somehow means all of the facts I have shoved into all of your faces is somehow not correct.

I am not going to argue this anymore. I have even made lists that retards can understand. Of course I should not be expecting much from people who try and make the original set of Sonic games look bad in front of Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Where was I bending your posts? Check this out:

Me typing to you, trying to make sense of what you were saying:
However if this is being argued, it boggles my mind:
Sonic Advance (GBA) -> Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) -> Sonic Advance 3 (GBA) -> Sonic Colors (Wii)

you typing to me, clarifying what I had written:
Sonic Colors takes place in the same continuity as Sonic Advance

Even then, my post makes perfect sense. You're stating, despite the many posted interviews with SEGA PR and the game's producer stating otherwise, that Sonic Colors is NOT a main series Sonic game, that it is NOT the follow-up to Unleashed and that is IS in fact the next game in the continuity established in Sonic freakin' Advance 3. Again, why is this? Does Cream appear in the game? Is there a buddy system like SAdv 3?

Sorry, but I gotta type a big fat "what to fuck" to that line of thought.

I am not going to argue this anymore.

Easy way out for a man with no sources and a very screwy viewpoint.

Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Are we complaining about Canon story in Sonic games?

You guys need to take a long hard look at yourselves!

I'd agree with you Mademan, but Sanus's view is so wonky that I just HAVE to try to figure out just what line of thought brought him to this sort of thinking.  :mrgreen: Too bad he's done arguing it. :(

Quote from: "crackdude"
Either get your shit consistent or explain what bothers you so much in this game that it can't be considered main series..

Agreed. I say we turn things down from an 11 to a 3, chill out, and If Sanus can't post something that makes us "get" his thinking, then I say we create a new forum group:
Crazy Old Man

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #602 on: October 28, 2010, 02:21:04 pm »
By what you're saying Sanus, Sonic Heroes is a spinoff. Gameplay is revolving a gimmick, it is in the "non-human" world, Cream is on it (which OBVIOUSLY makes it belong to the Advance continuity).

Either get your shit consistent or explain what bothers you so much in this game that it can't be considered main series..

Even though I have? Nothing bothers me around this, it is just annoying how people are trying to make the game seem more important than it is.

The gameplay is around playing multiple characters, but each set of characters plays exactly the same. It still has the same fundamentals as the rest of the main series, if anything leveling up is more of a gimmick than anything.

Cream is... Such a bad example. That is a character that exists in the franchise as a whole. Why would they not use her, especially when she is one of Sonic Team's favorite characters? They even added her into Sonic Adventure DX.

Quote from: "ezodagrom"
And what about this?
Sonic Colors is the follow up to Sonic Unleashed.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/21/so ... tion-game/

PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR

Why are you guys being so hard about this? Before the game got any attention the PR was different, even Iizuka said it was not part of the same series as Sonic the Hedgehog 4... What the fuck do you guys want from me? Do you not understand how PR works?

Iizuka is known to lie constantly anyways, I am not sure how he is proof over people who own whole branches of SEGA.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #603 on: October 28, 2010, 02:40:42 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Even though I have? Nothing bothers me around this, it is just annoying how people are trying to make the game seem more important than it is.

The gameplay is around playing multiple characters, but each set of characters plays exactly the same. It still has the same fundamentals as the rest of the main series, if anything leveling up is more of a gimmick than anything.

Cream is... Such a bad example. That is a character that exists in the franchise as a whole. Why would they not use her, especially when she is one of Sonic Team's favorite characters? They even added her into Sonic Adventure DX.
Wait what?

"each set of characters plays exactly the same"
Still, NONE play like ANYTHING ELSE before and after in the Sonic series. Three different gameplay types at the same time? Controlling 3 characters? That stuff is way more gimmicky than wisps! Wisps are POWER-UPS. inb4 Sonic 3 is not canon because it's full of gimmicks as well.

Put your face back in 2004. Cream's debut was on Sonic Advance 2, which came out the year before.
And let me rectify: they FORCED her into Sonic Adventure DX. No one was asking for her. Hell, barely anyone who hadn't played SAdv2 knew her. And I doubt a bunch of cameos barely counts as "adding" a character. What's next? Nights belongs to Sonic canon as well?
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #604 on: October 28, 2010, 02:44:05 pm »
even Iizuka said it was not part of the same series as Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Find the interview or it didn't happen.

I'm certain that even when you DO dig it up, we'll discover that Iizuka was saying that Sonic 4 is a 2D game, whereas Sonic Colors is a 3D game. Wow. Big revelation. Did you also know that Sonic 3 is a different game compared to Sonic Adventure 2? One operates in the 2D platforming genre, the other operates in the 3D platforming genre. Different styles of platformer, same game series. Still, you line Colors (a 3D game) up to occur after Sonic Advance (a 2D game) so I don't know how you'll read all of that.

PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR PR

How has PR all of a sudden become some sort of villain? Is there some other way for video game fans to communicate with game companies and receive a reply? Short of busting into SEGA itself and assaulting a programmer at his computer, PR is what we've been relying on for years. Don't trust something said by one PR person? Ask somebody else. If the words of Iizuka, RubyEclipse and AAUK all line up, then you've got your answer. As evidenced by the many posted interviews (again, we've posting words direct from SEGA, you've relied on... uh, what are your sources again?) we've come to the fact that Colors is the follow-up to Unleashed. You, on the other hand, seem to have such an extreme hatred for the guy behind the game that you won't even believe his words.

While I could just give up on this discussion, I really do want to get where you're getting this thinking from.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #605 on: October 28, 2010, 02:59:14 pm »
Still, NONE play like ANYTHING ELSE before and after in the Sonic series.

They all work the way you would expect them to. None of them turn into rockets, for example.

That stuff is way more gimmicky than wisps! Wisps are POWER-UPS. inb4 Sonic 3 is not canon because it's full of gimmicks as well.

Wisps are needed to beat levels, like flickies in Sonic 3D Blast. You can beat all of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 without shields.

Power ups=/=Things needed to beat every level

Put your face back in 2004. Cream's debut was on Sonic Advance 2, which came out the year before.
And let me rectify: they FORCED her into Sonic Adventure DX. No one was asking for her. Hell, barely anyone who hadn't played SAdv2 knew her. And I doubt a bunch of cameos barely counts as "adding" a character. What's next? Nights belongs to Sonic canon as well?

Not sure where you are going with this. It is just a character that appears in the games. Almost every single character... With the exception of like, Eggman Nega appear in both sets of the mainline and spinoffs.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Find the interview or it didn't happen.

I'm certain that even when you DO dig it up, we'll discover that Iizuka was saying that Sonic 4 is a 2D game, whereas Sonic Colors is a 3D game. Wow. Big revelation. Did you also know that Sonic 3 is a different game compared to Sonic Adventure 2? One operates in the 2D platforming genre, the other operates in the 3D platforming genre. Different styles of platformer, same game series. Still, you line Colors (a 3D game) up to occur after Sonic Advance (a 2D game) so I don't know how you'll read all of that.

Nope!

"GAME managed to glean some interesting information, such as the Sonic games being split into two worlds; the human world and the non-human world (of which Sonic Colours falls into the latter)."

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/2010/0 ... interview/

How has PR all of a sudden become some sort of villain? Is there some other way for video game fans to communicate with game companies and receive a reply? Short of busting into SEGA itself and assaulting a programmer at his computer, PR is what we've been relying on for years. Don't trust something said by one PR person? Ask somebody else. If the words of Iizuka, RubyEclipse and AAUK all line up, then you've got your answer. As evidenced by the many posted interviews (again, we've posting words direct from SEGA, you've relied on... uh, what are your sources again?) we've come to the fact that Colors is the follow-up to Unleashed.

You are being so silly about this man, actually are starting to be a bit of an asshole about this too, which I do not really appreciate. Look at older interviews, they discuss how it is not part of the main series. After lots of positive press came in, that changed. I doubt halfway throughout the development of the game they changed the story and everything as everything was set in stone by then.

You, on the other hand, seem to have such an extreme hatred for the guy behind the game that you won't even believe his words.

While I could just give up on this discussion, I really do want to get where you're getting this thinking from.

But he DOES lie constantly! Shadi even started to write up a list of all of the times he has done this recently. He has literally done it in every interview that has been released within the past few years.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #606 on: October 28, 2010, 03:09:46 pm »
"GAME managed to glean some interesting information, such as the Sonic games being split into two worlds; the human world and the non-human world (of which Sonic Colours falls into the latter)."

Dude, you didn't even post the actual quote. You posted what Shadzter wrote. Check back to the actual interview and you'll find clarification of what Iizuka meant. I detailed it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=338&start=580

You are being so silly about this man, actually are starting to be a bit of an asshole about this too, which I do not really appreciate. Look at older interviews, they discuss how it is not part of the main series. After lots of positive press came in, that changed. I doubt halfway throughout the development of the game they changed the story and everything as everything was set in stone by then.

I've done you the service of linking to interviews, as has ezodagrom and crackdude. You have just kept saying "Look at older interviews, they discuss how it is not part of the main series". Please find me these interviews, because I have yet to see anything claiming that this is not a main series game and that is is a part of the Advance continuity. And don't call me an asshole. I don't appreciate that. Thanks.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #607 on: October 28, 2010, 03:12:52 pm »
This is amazing!
Suddenly the EXACT SAME ARGUMENTS you used "against" Colors are invalid on Heroes?

The gameplay in Heroes was NOTHING like any other Sonic game.
Turn into rockets? Unleashed turned into a freaking Hogwolf!

My point with Cream is that she came out of nowhere. She appears as a good friend of Amy, which only happened because of the events in Sonic Advance 2. Hence, Sonic Heroes is in the same "non-human" sequence of games as Sonic Advance.

Of course I think all of this is bananas! But it's exactly what you're saying about Colors. And this is turning out to be a pretty weirdly amusing conversation due to the fact that I truly can't see your point at all lol
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #608 on: October 28, 2010, 03:28:21 pm »
Reposting this, as we've talked ourselves into a circle:

GAME.CO.UK: Could you tell us a bit about the story behind Sonic Colours? It looks more like the old games, which were set on Moebius, than the new-style Sonics set in Station Square...

We have two different worlds for Sonic games – one is human, and one is set on the non-human side. Sonic Colours is set on the non-human side. The only human in the game is Dr Eggman, who tries to build this huge amusement park which, as you will see on the world map, ties all these planets together with a tractor beam.

Eggman is trying to use all of these planets for his own evil ends which will be revealed at a later time, and Sonic realises what he is trying to do and sets out to try and stop him. That is the main story behind Sonic Colours.

Okay, so he says two different worlds. But how does "two different worlds" suddenly mean "two different continuities"? The use of world in this sense is not to mean "two different planets in two separate universes", it is to mean that the humans have their own "world" and the talking animals exist in their own "world". Sometimes the worlds meet (Sonic Adventure, Sonic '06, Sonic Unleashed) and other times the worlds do not meet (Sonic 1-4, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Colors). I can say that I live in my own world, doing all the human things I do. I can also say that lions in the jungle live in their own world, doing all the lion things that they do. We are each in our own worlds, but that is not to mean that the lion lives on some alternate universe of only lions and when I enter the jungle and meet the lion we have suddenly created a second universe of human/lion coexistence.

Heroes especially proves my point. SA2 (filled with humans) introduced Shadow, who seemingly died, only to have returned in Sonic Heroes. Big and Rouge also return as a continuation of their characters as seen in Sonic Adventure 1&2 respectively. Despite Heroes having many links to to the mixed human/animal world of the SA series, Heroes does not feature a single human outside of Eggman. Does this mean that Heroes is a separate universe from SA1&2 and that all of it's events in the game (especially in Team Dark's story) had no impact on Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06?

/repost

To add to that, let's bring the Advance games into it. We have Sonic Advance 1-3, which do not feature the human areas of Earth. However Sonic Battle, which takes place after Sonic Advance 2, features the human areas by way of Central City and G.U.N (both seen in Shadow the Hedgehog). Sonic Battle introduces Emerl. Emerl's story carries over to Sonic Advance 3 with the introduction of Gemerl, who Dr. Eggman created Gemerl from Emerl's "data".  Right there we have a clear connection between games taking place in the non-human world and the human world. Two worlds, one planet, one continuity.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #609 on: October 28, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »
People care about Sonic's canon?

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #610 on: October 28, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »
I've done you the service of linking to interviews, as has ezodagrom and crackdude. You have just kept saying "Look at older interviews, they discuss how it is not part of the main series". Please find me these interviews, because I have yet to see anything claiming that this is not a main series game and that is is a part of the Advance continuity. And don't call me an asshole. I don't appreciate that. Thanks.

I do not care. If you are not going to look for yourself then let us just say it is part of an entirely new universe, how about that?

To add to that, let's bring the Advance games into it. We have Sonic Advance 1-3, which do not feature the human areas of Earth. However Sonic Battle, which takes place after Sonic Advance 2, features the human areas by way of Central City and G.U.N (both seen in Shadow the Hedgehog). Sonic Battle introduces Emerl. Emerl's story carries over to Sonic Advance 3 with the introduction of Gemerl, who Dr. Eggman created Gemerl from Emerl's "data".  Right there we have a clear connection between games taking place in the non-human world and the human world. Two worlds, one planet, one continuity.

Emerl is not in Sonic Advance 3 I thought? These can take place any time, and again that does not really mean anything when all of the characters pop into both continuities.

The gameplay in Heroes was NOTHING like any other Sonic game.

The REAL gimmick of that game was that they tried to make it appear as if the series was going back to it's roots with simpler level designs and goals. I am not sure why you are continuing this, Sonic runs fast, Tails flies, Knuckles climbs... Oh wait, he cannot do that anymore, BIG DIFFERENCE!

The biggest change in that was that Sonic Adventure 2 was great, and Heroes was dookie poop.

Turn into rockets? Unleashed turned into a freaking Hogwolf!

Turning into a rocket to access a different portion of the level is a gimmick, playing as a different character is not... Come on man.

My point with Cream is that she came out of nowhere. She appears as a good friend of Amy, which only happened because of the events in Sonic Advance 2. Hence, Sonic Heroes is in the same "non-human" sequence of games as Sonic Advance.

Almost none of the characters have or need origin stories. What is your point?

Of course I think all of this is bananas! But it's exactly what you're saying about Colors. And this is turning out to be a pretty weirdly amusing conversation due to the fact that I truly can't see your point at all lol

It might be a loss of translation, but I think most people trying to say this is a major release in the series are just too set on proving to the world that Sonic is not a complete sack of horseshit series anymore. Just because a spinoff is not terrible should not really change anything, so I do not know why you guys keep going...

People care about Sonic's canon?

Not really, but I enjoy being right about any kind of subject, so that is a plus!

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #611 on: October 28, 2010, 07:00:32 pm »
Sonic Adventure is not part of the main franchise either. According to Sanus.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #612 on: October 29, 2010, 03:40:18 am »
This discussion makes me ashamed of calling myself a Sega fan.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #613 on: October 29, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »
[youtube:4hy8oogt]3pVHJeIUWOI[/youtube:4hy8oogt]
Why is Sonic's voice so deep? @_@ Hmmm.....

Also, is just me, or does he have Raphael's personality from the 1987 Ninja Turtles cartoon? xD Seriously, that's who he reminds me of all of a sudden.

Tails, on the other hand, is naturally still so very cute and wonderful. <333

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #614 on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:30 pm »
Yeah, Sonic sounds like a human now! I can't stop thinking about the older voices with the high/light hearted tone.

I love the part when Sonic talks to you. Reminds me of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. :3