Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 225817 times)

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #765 on: November 11, 2010, 09:59:57 am »
It's awesome that Eggman's theme music from Sonic 06 and Unleashed is in Colors! That's my favorite theme for ol' Egghead.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #766 on: November 11, 2010, 01:47:24 pm »
Just read the whole Eurogamer.net review and wow...

Read on.

Here's what they thought were the game's shortcomings:

The draw distance issue:
If there's one flaw, it's that the game's sheer pace sometimes falls foul of the Wii's limitations. Smaller items, such as gold rings or obstacles, start off as pixel-hash in the far distance; in speedy forward-motion sections, terrain features or collectibles don't really resolve until the middle distance, by which point you should have already made the decision and begun your manoeuvre. Things are at their worst when you're in the top-end rush of a turbo-boost.

Pre-school humor and dialogue in the cutscenes:
Sonic Colours won't be for everyone. The humour of the interstitial cut-scenes leans to the preschool side of gentle, and in one way that's fine and dandy; kids will enjoy the game, and rightly so. For an adult, it can be a little too much to stomach. There are none of the cleverly-penned characters you might find in, say, a Ratchet and Clank, and the game as a whole is pretty old-fashioned in a lot of ways.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #767 on: November 12, 2010, 07:47:02 am »
DS version:
[spoiler:2tqihq2d]Super Sonic is ONLY in the final boss fight, and the final boss is a MONSTER OF THE WEEK. Thank god they kept that nonsense in the DS version and let the Wii have the good stuff.[/spoiler:2tqihq2d]

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #768 on: November 12, 2010, 01:45:40 pm »
I guess it was someone else at Gametrailers who nominated this for Best Platformer at E3.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #769 on: November 12, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »
Did anyone notice that Aquatic Park has the LONG stretch of land at the start(Similar to the 360 version of Chun-nan!)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #770 on: November 12, 2010, 10:01:14 pm »
Yeah, it was an awesome throwback and I liked it.

In other news, gamespot have given the game an 8.0  . Talking about madness lol.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/soni ... eview.html

I knew me actually liking a sonic game in a long time couldn't just have been a coincedence

If the reviews keep up like this, people might actually think again after watching that awful review at gametrailers.

Metacritic went to 77 yesterday. It's back on 79 now and lots of good reviews haven't been added yet. To be honest, this game just deserves an 8 minimum.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #771 on: November 12, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »
Been playing this game all day. So far I think this is easily the best 3D Sonic game ever. A special shout out for the level designs, the platforming/puzzles are just superb, gameplay is great, graphics are the best I've come across on the Wii yet. The music, I've yet to find music in this game that isn't at least good. (Apart from that fucking vocal track, god damn that shit needs to go... Or at least ONLY appear in the credits, not the intro as well!)

I like pretty much everything so it would be better for me to list the things I think could be improved, if I was to nit pick... Which I will.

1) Sometimes you cannot back track in areas where you really should be able too. This may be due to hardware limitations but the game generally doesn't like back tracking. It seems like the game loads in 'sections' these sections are pretty damn big and you can back track in them. But if you try to go back a section you are usually met with a dead end or an invisible wall.

2) The Sonic Simulator mode really should have been split screen instead of both on one screen... It really would be a much better idea. Secondly, The option for VS racing like in Adventure 2 Battle would be superb... Would work perfectly in these stages too.

3)Dr Robotniks PA system quotes are TOO QUIET, You have to really listen to hear them and there is no option to adjust music and voice separately.

4)While I like the game being MOSTLY in 2.5D sections I would like to see the 3D sections be more interesting... It isn’t that I don't like what I'm playing in 3D I do, but it serves as more of a 'speed, go go go get to the next area' and I wouldn't mind a bit more exploring and platforming in 3D as well as these speed sections.

Less important things I would add in Colours 2!
-More things to find hidden in levels, I swear trying to find and collect all the Red Rings adds so much replay and reason to explore. I want MORE hidden things in levels to collect and find.

-2 Player VS mode... Needs to be done like Adventure Battle (Split screen), none of the Sonic Wind, Chaos Sphere rubbish but using Wisp Powers against each other would be a bit of a laugh I think.

-Sonic Simulator, create a level.
Shit I would love this so much, I would love to be able to create my own Sonic Levels in the Sonic Simulator and then share them with others like the Sonic Level Creator on Play Sega.

-Special Stages on each planets world map. I would like to see special/challenge stages on the world map that challenge you. Each focusing on a specific Wisp power and pushing you to beat it in a fast time or even just get to the end with out dying. Like a Yellow Wisp digging hedge maze or a orange rocket where you need to rocket from one wisp to the next... I dunno I think it would add a ton of replay value with little effort.

-Chao garden... Yes I'm a sucker for the chaos.
Made by SEGA

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #772 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:06 pm »
UGH you guys are so lucky.

I'm getting this on Tuesday. Maybe I'll even wake up early to get it ASAP.

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #773 on: November 13, 2010, 07:22:14 am »
Why are the 'user ratings' always higher than the 'critics ratings' when they're involving Sonic?

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #774 on: November 13, 2010, 08:13:44 am »
@fernandeath

Funny how sonic 4 is the only sonic game where that is not the case

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360 ... -episode-1
user score is 5

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #775 on: November 13, 2010, 11:31:36 am »
Wow CrazyTails you don't even sound like a Sonic 4 hater at all! :)

And why's everyone so hang up on review scores? I know the game is great and all, but hadn't we agreed thousands of times before that review scores were useless?

Stop caring about numbers and post some more interesting quotes from reviewers.
SEG4GES

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #776 on: November 13, 2010, 11:33:49 am »
And yes Sharky, we NEED a chaos garden.
SEG4GES

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #777 on: November 13, 2010, 02:44:19 pm »
@sharky

Most points you mentioned are pretty spot on.
Quote from: "Sharky"

1) Sometimes you cannot back track in areas where you really should be able too. This may be due to hardware limitations but the game generally doesn't like back tracking. It seems like the game loads in 'sections' these sections are pretty damn big and you can back track in them. But if you try to go back a section you are usually met with a dead end or an invisible wall.
It especially gets anoying when you are hunting for those red coins. You will have  to restart all over if you get the idea that you went past one of them.
2) The Sonic Simulator mode really should have been split screen instead of both on one screen... It really would be a much better idea. Secondly, The option for VS racing like in Adventure 2 Battle would be superb... Would work perfectly in these stages too.
Agreed. The throwbacks to sonic 1 are still awesome though :p

3)Dr Robotniks PA system quotes are TOO QUIET, You have to really listen to hear them and there is no option to adjust music and voice separately.
I think that may have been intentionally. It never bothered me personally, but I think they just did it to add the idea that your in robotniks amusement park throughout the whole game but at the same time doesn't anoy or interfere with the music .
4)While I like the game being MOSTLY in 2.5D sections I would like to see the 3D sections be more interesting... It isn’t that I don't like what I'm playing in 3D I do, but it serves as more of a 'speed, go go go get to the next area' and I wouldn't mind a bit more exploring and platforming in 3D as well as these speed sections.
This is I think the only thing I disagree. As stupid I think GT's review was, they are right about sonic's controls in 3d environment, they are pretty bad and only work for speed segments or just minor things for variety. I would love more 3d gameplay but with unleashed/colors mechanics it doesn't work that well imo.

-Chao garden... Yes I'm a sucker for the chaos.
And this a thousand times :p

@crackdude.

How is that hating, I was just trying to enlight fernandeath with some facts :S

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #778 on: November 13, 2010, 03:25:17 pm »

Offline ezodagrom

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #779 on: November 13, 2010, 03:53:10 pm »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
http://www.destructoid.com/review-sonic-colors-187691.phtml?s=50#comments

what a ****** troll.
This is why I think Destructoid shouldn't count on metacritic.