Author Topic: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America  (Read 117852 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2015, 10:38:18 am »
ST hasn't perfected anything.  Gens was just their latest pass at putting make up on a pig.  It looks great but is fundamentally broken under the surface.  No amount of rainbow ring, homing attack chain, or empty boosting segment is going to change that Sonic controls terribly and that the levels are poorly designed.

You might find Mario games boring George, but at least they're polished, playable, and have reliable controls and physics.  I'm not sure what you even mean with that generalization?  Even if you didn't like Sunshine SMG, SMG2, M3dL, and M3dW are all phenomenal. 

The levels aren't poorly designed. There exactly the type of levels they should have been striving for for the longest time and I think it shows with how many people actively like Generations and have been screaming out for a sequel to it.

Granted they're not as good as Yasuhara's but than his level designs would run circles against any other platformer.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2015, 10:57:34 am »
The levels aren't poorly designed. There exactly the type of levels they should have been striving for for the longest time and I think it shows with how many people actively like Generations and have been screaming out for a sequel to it.

To be fair there's also tons of people who claim that Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is the best Sonic they've ever played.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:24 am »
To be fair there's also tons of people who claim that Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is the best Sonic they've ever played.

Well the people who I know that liked it didn't like the lesser Sonic games so there's that.

I did like certain stages in Sonic Adventure 2 though like Crazy Gadget and The Green Hill Zone left me hoping we'd see more layered stages like that. Haha what a short lived dream.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2015, 11:03:40 am »
Modern Sonic is a racing game+platformer...and there is nothing wrong with that.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2015, 11:12:22 am »
Do you guys feel that there are any current platformers that 'feel' like classic Sonic, since Sega seems to have abandoned that notion?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2015, 11:55:55 am »
Now would be a perfect time for Aki to mention Brock Crocodile! ;)

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2015, 12:01:46 pm »
Do you guys feel that there are any current platformers that 'feel' like classic Sonic, since Sega seems to have abandoned that notion?

I've read some recommendations of Freedom Planet suggesting it's an alternate-reality 2D Sonic game, if Treasure created Sonic.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2015, 12:11:37 pm »

Now would be a perfect time for Aki to mention Brock Crocodile! ;)

I can confirm that upon playing a preview build of Brock Crocodile (Kindly disclosed to me by the creator.) it indeed has the heart of classic Sonic.

I've read some recommendations of Freedom Planet suggesting it's an alternate-reality 2D Sonic game, if Treasure created Sonic.

Yeah that game was a Sonic fangame before being turned into it's own IP so it's the closet you'll get. Outside of like... The hordes of actual Sonic fangames.
And if not at least the level designs are Sonic like!11!!1!!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:02 pm »
I thought Brock was meant to be closer to Disney games in terms of gameplay? I didn't think Crocs were that fast. Having spend the better part of my adult life wrestling them, I think I'm qualified to comment on that.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2015, 12:32:14 pm »

Granted they're not as good as Yasuhara's but than his level designs would run circles against any other platformer.

That's the problem.  Ever since SA1 Iizuka and friends have been intent on delivering a "fast" experience at any cost.  Back then it was by putting automated dashpads on just about everything.  Now-a-days it's done by offering extremely restrictive level designs.  Instead of being a platformer, the game is basically a QTE.  I'm not saying it plays itself, but when you're given a tiny hallway to boost through with nary an obstacle in sight for about 30 seconds, the developer's intent is clear: to deliver a shallow sense of speed and adrenaline at the cost of player interactivity.  Coupled with an over abundance of homing attack chains and bottomless pits (WHY ARE THESE STILL HERE IN FORCE?) and you've got something that will appeal to hard score speed junkies and not much else.  Good physics and any semblance of exploration have been thrown out completely with the bathwater.  How Sonic moves through space makes close to no sense but they cover it up with boosts and homing attacks.  I can shout "speed should be earned" till I'm blue(ha!) in the face but people will continue to claim that Gens was a return to form even though it clearly isn't.

Anyway, I've made it fairly clear by this point where I stand so I'm going to stop beating a dead horse.  You love it, I don't; simple as that.  I'm trying to hold the series to a much higher standard than what Gens offers. 

Offline Trippled

« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2015, 12:37:33 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWW3PgWmTcQ

I found this very entertaining rant video for Sonic

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2015, 12:52:53 pm »
His comment about tails at 5:00 I feel his pain man

Offline Trippled

« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2015, 12:57:44 pm »
He has a good point tough. It really is a wonder that so many people still hang on this series, if really most of the games are "misses" rather than "hits".

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2015, 01:00:49 pm »
He has a good point tough. It really is a wonder that so many people still hang on this series, if really most of the games are "misses" rather than "hits".

I think it's been said a few times here now, Sonic is now a bad to terrible franchise that has a small handful of good games in it.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2015, 02:30:15 pm »
I think it's been said a few times here now, Sonic is now a bad to terrible franchise that has a small handful of good games in it.

You know to this day I have yet to play games like Sonic Riders and Sonic 06. The only "bad" Sonic games I've owned and played are Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed.

I wonder what fun would be had if I got to sample those, er, unique experience.

Anyway, I've made it fairly clear by this point where I stand so I'm going to stop beating a dead horse.  You love it, I don't; simple as that.  I'm trying to hold the series to a much higher standard than what Gens offers. 

Yeah let's agree to disagree but don't make it out that I am so easily pleased compared to your lofty expectations and end your statement with a cheap shot at me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:39:06 pm by Aki-at »