Author Topic: Nintendo going mobile!  (Read 10299 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Nintendo going mobile!
« on: March 17, 2015, 09:36:35 am »
Yep...no in house development yet...but really sooner or later...

THOUGHTS

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
Re: Nintendo going mobile!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 09:55:13 am »
Seems like they'll still be focusing on their console/handheld business, with mobile games as a side thing. No direct ports, just unique games using their existing licences. So hopefully no bad touchscreen adaptations of platformers.

As long as they stay away from the Freemium model, I don't see this as a bad thing.
The only mobile games that I've really enjoyed have been Threes, and Chu Chu Rocket. Pay a reasonable price, get a fun game, end of story.
I hate games that keep prompting you for money in order to maximize your "fun".

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:46:10 am »
I got into a little twitter debate on the SEGAbits account in criticizing journalists who are congratulating Nintendo on being late to the party. Like, yeah, great job Nintendo! Congrats! Here is your sack of money you could have had a decade ago.

Nintendo is like that guy in high school that everybody knew and was friends with, he was described as having a "big heart" and was the nicest guy in the class. What people never talked about though was that he was learning disabled and was always behind everybody else, but instead of telling him that, people would congratulate him and pat him on the back for catching up with everybody else. Though in Nintendo's case, I think they could use more "what the fuck were you waiting for?" articles rather than back slapping.

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
I will say one more time, just for the record, Nintendo fans (the brand only side) or I say Pikmins are the worst and the most hypocritical people in the vg community, counting forums users, youtubers and journalists.

Bias for Sega but nothing for Ninty if they are trying because is Nintendo.
Please, these people need a good slap in their faces to awake in the real world.

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:16 am »
The way I'm seeing this is that the true war of the ecosystems in gaming on a broad scale has more or less begun with all 3.

Used to be a time where if you wanted it all, you had to give, now it seems each player is willing to experiment in order to eventually attract and keep people invested in their "platforms" on a wider level.

Microsoft is synergising products
Sony is expanding accessibility and services
and Now Nintendo enters the fray with its own take

Quite the crazy day today.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:25:32 am »
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:29:08 am by Aki-at »

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:41:47 am »
A perfect post haha

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 12:03:48 pm »
Me: Nintendo is late to the party, why should they be praised?
Nintendo fans: SEGA sucks now and they left the console market and only have Sonic and SEGA of America is closing!
Me: You're avoiding my point, SEGA was on mobile 15 years before Nintendo.
Nintendo fans: Thats cuz the Dreamcast was dying, also SEGA Networks didn't exist until 2012!

And it goes on like this...

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 12:07:40 pm »
It was in 1999 when Sonic, Golden Axe, Puyo Puyo and Sakura Taisen appeared on the Wonderswan, NeoGeo Pocket and Gameboy Color....

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »
I dont want to be rude, but at this point the Nintendo Fanboys, (Pikmins like Nirmugen said) are pretty much like this for me now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcE5aDTszrY

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:27:04 pm »
Best news that came out of this is the synergy between all platforms. A unified platform managed by the partnered company (DeNA) managing the whole thing.

I dont care about the mobile side. Worst case scenario, nin prioritizes mobile when the gains are the only thing that keep them afloat. Good scenario, they use it to expand mindshare and awareness. Use the gains to invest into what im assuming most of nintendo workers like to do most, which is making ambitious projects.

Overall im indifferent at the moment, leaning towards dissapointed at the beginning. Well untill i read more of Iwata's clarifications. Its a pretty interesting read

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/index.html

Offline Nirmugen

• Total Meseta: 11
  • Sneaking around in the city with blue,blue skies
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »
The problem is investors care a lot about this movement.  Price Stock rises but it is nothing about the WiiU, 3DS, Amiibos, etc.
This is good time for :Dena that not only propose this deal in 2010! but they are a big mobile enterprises on their own.
Profits will be up but let me tell you something: It's not about videogames in home consoles that put money in their pocket every month anymore.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 02:04:32 pm »
Jesus. No love lost with this decades-old rivalry here, hmm?

Anyway, nothing about this news interests me. Obviously the pressures are mounting against gaming-focused hardware. I'm not a mobile gamer (don't have a tablet/smartphone and the only mobile game I have played, was ported to the Vita and that's how I played it) and I don't take advantage of Club Nintendo.

Iwata's comments, he's toeing a fine line but he rightfully acknowledges that the strength of Nintendo comes from its IPs (WiiU THE STRONGEST), and thankfully for them they've got enough that are strong and active. It's kind of strange, but the IPs being exclusive to Ninty hardware has to have had an effect on that.

In any case DeNA should have an easier time than most others competitors entering the mobile sphere.

Contrary to this article:

http://bgr.com/2015/03/17/nintendo-ios-android-games/

no ports are planned, but a robust game like Advance Wars iOS isn't out of the question either apparently. Because Iwata suggests that Nintendo is reticent to make a ton of games (at least out of the gate) and is focused on continued support (which they did with like, Fire Emblem Awakening I think). See, but if they make Advance Wars iOS, then there should be a point later on where Nintendo hardware is irrelevant. Anyway They are apparently also expecting most all early titles to be successes.

Nintendo has been doing moderately well. I'm not sure that mobile profits would impact planning of the new console (the timing doesn't seem to be aligned) I really do hope that they come up with a system that is more powerful, though that's unessential to me. Parity is apparently a concern for developers nowadays.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 09:18:51 pm »
No surprise to me. Gotta go where the money is, even if Iwata said Nintendo would never make mobile games. lol

I do agree with Barry though. Annoyed with all the people who are just fine with this who were spelling Doom and Gloom for SEGA doing the exact same thing long before now.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 11:23:48 pm »
Lol, people on the Sega Forums are such a joke. All of these fucking people always talking about how shitty and irrelevant mobile games are, watch them do a 180 now that Nintendo games will be on mobile platforms..

No doubt that Nintendo will make a lot of money off of this though.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:37:58 pm by pirovash88 »
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88