Author Topic: East vs. West: Gaming in screen.  (Read 18924 times)

Offline Sega Stylista

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: East vs. West: Gaming in screen.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »
George, don't overlook this jewel in our ongoing East vs west discussion:

LMAO! at what marketing departments do to game art.

As if the generically urban and gritty Cole wasn't bad enough he got replaced by a Gen X variant, lol!

Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Nice topic , and what just is so bad about Dark Violent games anyway, or FPS's. Lets all hate Shinobi for its blood and violence, lets bash Yakuza for its dark look , guns and extreme levels of violence and blood , lets bash Bayonetta for Guns Guns and more Guns .... Oh wait ... They're SEGA games its ok then  :roll:

Of course all those games are stylized. . . what is stylized about Halo, CoD aor any of the generic western gun games? Nor, more to the point, are any of those games "gun" games by any stretch.

It's not the usage of guns that make them outright western it is the style behind it or lack of style, taking Vanquish as a perfect example.

I agree, ME is "Sega Style".
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 03:43:37 pm »
Here I fixed the game to appeal more to you:

The art is not as good as the first game, I agree. But that is not even in game. You make fun of this game for having urban gritty environments and praise Yakuza? Double standards. Most comics take place in a dark city, like Batman and even the Ninja Turtles. If you don't like comics, I suggest not even bothering looking at a comic influenced video game.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 03:55:48 pm »
I disagree about games that have guns in it do not have 'style'. I mean, early Shinobi games had tons of guns and amazing art, but the later releases had less guns and significantly worse art at times! Halo, for instance has had a ton of really just outstanding art sometimes. Did you ever beat Halo 3? That has some of the most beautiful effects and art I have seen in a game since Panzer Dragoon Orta.

Even bland stuff like Killzone has nice art at times. Did you ever see the menu designs in Killzone 2 for instance? Shit, it might be worth playing just for the awesome menus! I mean, it all comes down to gameplay at the end of the day, and even like the ugliest games ever can be fun, while some of the prettiest games can be completely annoying and not worth anyones time.

One of my favorite games ever is the original DOOM, and that game is so fucking brown that it actually bothers my eyes after awhile. I do not see how something like this has worse art than Call of Duty games.

On the topic of Call of Duty games, ignore the shitty ones by Treyarch as this may be what you are focusing on unintentionally, the titles made by Infinity Ward are fucking outstanding though and have excellent art (not a joke, seriously just check it out!).

EDIT: I agree with Eastside on the art of inFAMOUS 2 though.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 04:35:34 pm »
^Call of Duty World at War was really good, I really enjoyed it.

And of course Call of Duty games aren't stylised, they were trying to make realistic depictions of war... Having said that though, although the actual gameplay wasn't 'stylised' World at War had some of the best briefing screens i've ever seen, with a beatiful WW2 propganda look. Take a look at this intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSTIXQ9CRs

As for Halo not being 'stylised' thats just ridiculous. The alien and armour designs are very cool, I especially like the Grunts who have to carry around methane tanks to breathe (and they can even be shot and leak during the game).
Also, you do realise that 'Style' can be dark or realistic right? It doesn't have to be off the wall or abstract.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 04:43:51 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
^Call of Duty World at War was really good, I really enjoyed it.

And of course Call of Duty games aren't stylised, they were trying to make realistic depictions of war... Having said that though, although the actual gameplay wasn't 'stylised' World at War had some of the best briefing screens i've ever seen, with a beatiful WW2 propganda look. Take a look at this intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSTIXQ9CRs

As for Halo not being 'stylised' thats just ridiculous. The alien and armour designs are very cool, I especially like the Grunts who have to carry around methane tanks to breathe (and they can even be shot and leak during the game).
Also, you do realise that 'Style' can be dark or realistic right? It doesn't have to be off the wall or abstract.

Well my point would be that their looks are pretty generic, whether that be war realism or armored space marine.  I'm not going to outright dismiss the art in Halo it's just that it has been overdone.  Vanquish looks more stylized by comparison.

Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I disagree about games that have guns in it do not have 'style'. I mean, early Shinobi games had tons of guns and amazing art, but the later releases had less guns and significantly worse art at times! Halo, for instance has had a ton of really just outstanding art sometimes. Did you ever beat Halo 3? That has some of the most beautiful effects and art I have seen in a game since Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I wasn't saying that gun games don't have style if you are replying to me directly. I'm just distinguishing from the stylized and non-stylized ones.  Never made it to Halo 3, I don't doubt it has great art 'sometimes' it's just that the general art of it has gotten old and similarly replicated too many times over.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:46:50 pm by Sega Stylista »

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 04:46:23 pm »
^What did you think of that propoganda styled briefing though? I don't see how you could call that generic or bland.

As for Halo being overdone, I can kinda see where you are coming from as it does have strong influences from Aliens and Predator and the like (which is fine with me, since it works well).

Even so, you can't really say it doesn't have it's own style or look about it. Even just looking up and seeing the Halo World itself in the first game is an incredible touch.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »
Quote from: "George"
Here I fixed the game to appeal more to you:

The art is not as good as the first game, I agree. But that is not even in game. You make fun of this game for having urban gritty environments and praise Yakuza? Double standards. Most comics take place in a dark city, like Batman and even the Ninja Turtles. If you don't like comics, I suggest not even bothering looking at a comic influenced video game.

It's not double standards because one game is stylized and the other is not, that is the distinction I keep trying to make.  And I played Infamous to the end.  It's style is very generic.  It's hard to describe Yakuza's style but it certainly has one and it is not generically urban.

Quote from: "MadeManG74"
^What did you think of that propoganda styled briefing though? I don't see how you could call that generic or bland.

hmm, I'm not following you on this. . .  Are you talking Vanquish? If so, then that is the western element thrown into the cinematic for the sake of the western audience.

Offline George

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »
Stylized? You can't explain. Comic book style is not stylized? I don't know what to say right now. I know you never make sense, but you are taking it to another level.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 04:55:34 pm »
Stylized? You can't explain. Comic book style is not stylized? I don't know what to say right now. I know you never make sense, but you are taking it to another level.

I wasn't replying to your comics statement nor do I have a problem with comics having read them as a kid. I'm not sure why comics entered into the discussion?

Of course comics are stylized as they have to rely on their visual appeal so heavily.

Go look at any NPD top 10, most of those games aren't stylized that is at the heart of the matter.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 05:01:48 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"
hmm, I'm not following you on this. . .  Are you talking Vanquish? If so, then that is the western element thrown into the cinematic for the sake of the western audience.

I'm talking about the video of World at War that I posted.

I can't see the logic behind saying Yakuza is more stylised than Halo is. They both have their 'style' as does any game.

Offline George

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 05:16:11 pm »

I wasn't replying to your comics statement nor do I have a problem with comics having read them as a kid. I'm not sure why comics entered into the discussion?

Of course comics are stylized as they have to rely on their visual appeal so heavily.

Go look at any NPD top 10, most of those games aren't stylized that is at the heart of the matter.
Infamous' the first one, is influenced by comics. Even the new one, even though I hate the art, looks a lot like New X-Men artwork.

InFamous is influenced by Comic books, thus I'm talking about why you feel the game is not stylized. Assuming you think comics are not stylized. The game used comic cutscenes to tell its main story with some really nice artwork. It is a shame that the artist is not returning to 2.

Look at the Japanese top 10, most of it is garbage too. So what? What does it matter what a game does in either region? This is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Infamous, which you started the discussion.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 05:50:56 pm »
I wasn't saying that gun games don't have style if you are replying to me directly. I'm just distinguishing from the stylized and non-stylized ones.  Never made it to Halo 3, I don't doubt it has great art 'sometimes' it's just that the general art of it has gotten old and similarly replicated too many times over.

I think Halo 3's art was fantastic all-round really, something that is even shown on the boxart. I am not sure how anyone can say this is not brilliant art design.

Sure, it is not Panzer Dragoon Saga-level art, but... Only one game is Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I can kind of agree with what you are saying on the general art has gotten old because it has been replicated so often, but in this case you would have to agree that the art used in games like the original Sonic games has become generic because it has been replicated many times by dozens and dozens of other companies.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 01:00:20 am »
lol,

you guys act like I'm crazy being the only person in the world with this view, but you can see other real Sega fans think similarly.

look at these replies I found on youtube looking up Jet music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAU6OYgN4fU&fmt=18

ApesOfBass
2 months ago 31
Way better than some bland-ass repetitive military game. Fuck you, Call of Duty.

ApesOfBass
1 month ago 6
@megamanacses
I'm talking about video games as a whole. Recently, the trend is to make bland and repetitive games, such as Call of Duty.
You deserve a smack in the face, good sir.

greenac88
1 month ago
@ApesOfBass
So true, man. Those games are overrated and overhyped.
JSR is an essential classic in the Dreamcast Library.

Suixa
1 month ago
@ApesOfBass Haha yeah, not to mention now games are all military/gun based, like call of duty, counter strike, halo... and many more o,o

Monitor1CC
1 year ago 17
Started playing JGR again recently, this is one of the best tracks, thanks for uploading. Do the Reps still make music? Anyways, JGR is still one of the best DC games in the whole library and its gameplay, style and music are all just as fresh and hip as ever almost 9 years later!

EverDownward
1 month ago 4
One of my favorite songs off of the original JSR. Has a ska feel to it, and I love that.

In one song, The Reps captured everything it meant to be a kid who skated the streets, tearing up the city, and just chilling out with your friends on a stoop on a Summer evening.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 01:08:48 am »
InFamous is influenced by Comic books, thus I'm talking about why you feel the game is not stylized. Assuming you think comics are not stylized. The game used comic cutscenes to tell its main story with some really nice artwork. It is a shame that the artist is not returning to 2.

Well, I was talking about the in-game graphics. They're bland and repeat the same colors and textures. I don't care or have a problem with the comic cut scenes.  I played infamous to the final battle with Kessler and devoted enough to it to dismiss its lack of style without a pro-Sega bias.

Look at the Japanese top 10, most of it is garbage too. So what? What does it matter what a game does in either region?

Mainstream is the enemy of Sega style whatever the region is, that has always been my premise.  If you are a fan of Sega and mainstream games that's your deal, but I just find it contradictory.  If we are on a Sega site supposedly holding up the pro-Sega view of things then mainstream crap is the enemy.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 02:12:52 am »
okay, I've made a huge breakthrough in the science of sega style: :afroman:

:mrgreen: