Author Topic: Rumor:New Sega Console In Next Generation  (Read 26509 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Rumor:New Sega Console In Next Generation
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2015, 11:27:45 am »
I don't think you need Camelot to reboot a good old SRPG Shining game, you have a perfectly good in-house team that created Valkyria Chronicles. I think they could handle a new Shining 3D game, with 80's anime cel shaded graphics just fine. I think they would put the Fire Emblem games to shame if SEGA pushed the product (how is Awakening going to sell 2 million and VC sell less (by now its getting to 2 million thanks to the new PC port).

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2015, 11:35:16 am »

Deep Fear was a In-House title and also a well funded console title . I'm not a massive fan of the Shining games myself, but the only way fan of the series will be happy is SEGA get Camerlot back on to make them and have said as much . And the glory days of SEGA all their mobile/HH games were 99% outsourced while the main SEGA Japanese teams worked on the console titles

The producers were in house but not anything beyond. The staff is linked to the likes of System Sacom that made Torico/Lunacy on Saturn.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2015, 11:35:25 am »
[quote]I don't think you need Camelot to reboot a good old SRPG Shining game, you have a perfectly good in-house team that created Valkyria Chronicles

You know the way fans of games are . Unless SEGA put Camerlot to work in a Shinning 'Force' game , most will not want to know. The Val Team are ace and they had a ace engine . Shame SEGA Japan will never really put them to work on a next gen title
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:38:03 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:49 am »
The producers were in house but not anything beyond. The staff is linked to the likes of System Sacom that made Torico/Lunacy on Saturn.

It was CS2 title  and was a In-House production . But like Capcom did with Code Veronica, Climax with Blue Stinger  or SEGA with Streets of Rage 1 and II, Shenmue and a host of other titles   outside staff helped out with the work load and coding
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:39:42 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2015, 11:39:22 am »
I was going to say they are diverse with all their production studios and potentially branching off into gambling etc more, but I figured we were talking purely about games right now.
Again, I said they are diversified. Part of that is mobile.
I do hang shit on them for Freemium Apps a lot, but we both know that I'm aware of their console/PC output (even if I have little interest in most of those games too).

As for PS3, point me to where this is? Not doubting you, since I don't follow this stuff very closely at all and you do, but I literally just searched for information on that and found a piece talking about how PS3 overtook Xbox 360 in 2014 in lifetime sales.

I'm genuinely interested in reading which sold best.

We are talking about games but a significantly amount of resources has gone into resort building, virtual reality technology and entertainment machines (both gambling and traditional gaming) all being pumped into it which is why I'd rather refer SEGA as a whole a multimedia company. I don't think they'll head to being a gambling only company though.

But if we want to strictly talk about their gaming capabilities I don't think it's fair to say that they focus primarily in mobile either. Their biggest allocation of resources still happen to be the traditional gaming market.

Its hard to pinpoint the final figure and really it's guess work from everyone. But Microsoft confirmed the Xbox 360 overtook the Wii's American sales and with UK to back it up its not a hard stretch to say it was the number 2 console last gen.

It's a shame really. In my opinion, their recent output has been far better and although they're not out of the consoles market completely, they do seem to be shying away from it.

Although, I would add I would like to see SEGA go after little projects more. Daedlic seem to be the only publishers who actually chase after these talented studios and help them. Daedalic are definitely being rewarded for their efforts too.

If this was 2013 I would agree with you but their mobile output had reduced and their retail output has increased.

I don't think they're shying away from console/handheld development, just the extremely risky ventures.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2015, 11:44:21 am »
It was CS2 title  and was a In-House production . But like Capcom did with Code Veronica, Climax with Blue Stinger  or SEGA with Streets of Rage 1 and II, Shenmue and a host of other titles   outside staff helped out with the work load and coding

True enough, "production" is always done inhouse. 7th Dragon, Platinum Games, Fighting Climax etc. is also done the same way by CS3. At Sega there are always producers, sound producers etc. that are part of the game.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
It's more like you don't want to hear it Sharky . Never said SEGA is skint or going to the wall. But as console games developer SEGA is all but dead and like Konami its best days are well behind it and its a shell of its former self. You know the likes of 7th Dragon and Sonic Racing aren't even In-House , PS02 is never ever coming to the west much like most of SEGA Japan output these days (what there is)  never mind like Sonic Generations is years old now .

I used to love and remember the old SEGA that was offered the best games on consoles and used to lead the field in the Arcades, and had a great PC output too , other than PC that SEGA is dead . All you see to care about is SEGA making money, lots of corps make money

I didn't even mention money. I mentioned console and PC games... Because people keep going on about SEGA going mobile only despite the clear as day fact that they aren't...

What I care about is SEGA producing and developing great games... And they still do. Hell, there isn't anything I'm looking forward too more than Total War Warhammer from any publisher. Except of course Shenmue 3. TW:Warhammer has the three game, one world scope of Shining Force 3 and looks incredible.
Made by SEGA

Offline Ri$k

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
What I care about is SEGA producing and developing great games... And they still do. Hell, there isn't anything I'm looking forward too more than Total War Warhammer from any publisher. Except of course Shenmue 3. TW:Warhammer has the three game, one world scope of Shining Force 3 and looks incredible.

Yeah, I still believe in SEGA... And its bad we can play PSO2 only in Japan... I love PSO....

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2015, 01:01:08 pm »
I don't know what is stopping Japanese games from coming over, while I generally agree that some aren't as marketable as, lets say, Hatsune Miku, or whatever, I do feel that SEGA America's marketing has been shit (even for western titles) for a long time. Isolation sales vs Europe sales are prove of that. I really hope they fix it but probably won't as most people there don't see a issue with marketing.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2015, 01:37:11 pm »
Sega arcade staff being nominated for engineering and game design for the sand sculpting game and the continued expansions of card arcade game Sangoku Taisen

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150701_709696.html

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2015, 01:41:15 pm »

True enough, "production" is always done inhouse. 7th Dragon, Platinum Games, Fighting Climax etc. is also done the same way by CS3. At Sega there are always producers, sound producers etc. that are part of the game.

Lets not even try and kid ourselves that production on Platinum games was done In-House at SEGA and the likes of 7th Dragon are nothing like Deep Fear really. Deep Fear was a Big production and money thrown on the project , not like the cheaper safer way of making a HH title  . Everybody see's Ikaruga as a Treasure game even though G-Rev helped out with the coding , I really know of no-one that gives the likes of SEGA or Konami the credit for Guardian Heroes or Gradius V they're always seen as Treasure titles same goes for Capcom and Code Veronica (even thought outside help was done on the coding) , mind you I guess it can work both ways as no-one see's Daytona USA 2001 as Genki title even though they did most of work

I didn't even mention money. I mentioned console and PC games... Because people keep going on about SEGA going mobile only despite the clear as day fact that they aren't

Its clear as day SEGA Japan are and you can highlight the odd PC title here and there , but it doesn't cover the fact that most of SEGA Japan is going mobile , its obvious to anyway other than you that's the direction SEGA Japan is going. Next you'll be making out that becasue some 3rd parties make the odd Wii U game that counts as develoers backing the system

SEGA make a few Vita games that doesn't mean its going to get serious backing or is the direction SEGA is going in . Its quite clear SEGA Japan is all for Mobile that the direction they're heading and backing the most

What I care about is SEGA producing and developing great games... And they still do. Hell, there isn't anything I'm looking forward too more than Total War Warhammer from any publisher. Except of course Shenmue 3

What good games are SEGA Japan making at the mo and lets not even count Shenmue III as other than the rights SEGA is doing so odd to the title ?. You tell me what amazing looking PC/Console games were can expect from SEGA Japan this year ?

I agree with you about Warhammer btw, that shows you when a developer is allowed to spend big and not make a bloody hh or mobile game, but a AAA PC game with a serious tech to pwoer it . I only wish SEGA Japan once great studios were allowed to do the same on the PC/Consoles 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Ri$k

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2015, 01:44:29 pm »
Sega arcade staff being nominated for engineering and game design for the sand sculpting game and the continued expansions of card arcade game Sangoku Taisen

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20150701_709696.html

Not big suprise, Sega is n.1 in Arcade Machines. I am happy they have talented engineers. And they are hiring new taletned people... Mabye they are really developing console or some new hw.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »

Lets not even try and kid ourselves that production on Platinum games was done In-House at SEGA and the likes of 7th Dragon are nothing like Deep Fear really. Deep Fear was a Big production and money thrown on the project , not like the cheaper safer way of making a HH title  . Everybody see's Ikaruga as a Treasure game even though G-Rev helped out with the coding , I really know of no-one that gives the likes of SEGA or Konami the credit for Guardian Heroes or Gradius V they're always seen as Treasure titles same goes for Capcom and Code Veronica (even thought outside help was done on the coding) , mind you I guess it can work both ways as no-one see's Daytona USA 2001 as Genki title even though they did most of work

This is not a case of of how much money is thrown at the project, but simply a case of arrangement of staff. Scale of development for a Saturn game like Deep Fear is actually rather similar to PSP game I would say. On the PSP, Sega has many co-development projecs like that.

http://segaretro.org/System_Sacom

Deep Fear's lineage is clearly from the Sega CD game Mansion of the Hidden Souls.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2015, 04:15:03 pm »
This is not a case of of how much money is thrown at the project, but simply a case of arrangement of staff. Scale of development for a Saturn game like Deep Fear is actually rather similar to PSP game I would say

Missing the point I feel . In the Mega Drive days I would hardly get hyped for a Game gear game compared to a big budget Mega Drive or Mega CD SEGA title , What would I rather a Panzer Dragoon game on the Gamegear or one on the Saturn ?. That's the point Im trying to make .. If 7th Dragon was PS4 In-House title I'll be well hyped, its not and its let again SEGA Japan doing stuff on the cheap and the easy way out

HH games are low cost and far less risk (thought yes all games are a risk and cost money)  and in the days when SEGA was Hardware player it was all for console In-House production while almost all its Handheld games were outsoruced. The old SEGA wouldn't be having its top teams making mobile games .

Deep Fear's lineage is clearly from the Sega CD game Mansion of the Hidden Souls

It was a CS 2 game but like with a lot of games coding was outsouced . Do you see Datona USA 2001 as a SEGA title or a Genki one ? and I seem to remember Genki handling the coding for Get Bass onthe DC too . Lots of SEGA In-House games used coding help from the Sims too , even the likes of Shenmue

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:20:03 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Trippled

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2015, 04:47:53 pm »

Missing the point I feel . In the Mega Drive days I would hardly get hyped for a Game gear game compared to a big budget Mega Drive or Mega CD SEGA title , What would I rather a Panzer Dragoon game on the Gamegear or one on the Saturn ?. That's the point Im trying to make .. If 7th Dragon was PS4 In-House title I'll be well hyped, its not and its let again SEGA Japan doing stuff on the cheap and the easy way out

Well Japan has gone like that with DS and PSP. Square Enix and Nintendo releases were as important as console titles