Author Topic: What does Sega of Japan consider as their major products?  (Read 20109 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
What does Sega of Japan consider as their major products?
« on: July 14, 2015, 12:14:08 pm »

Thought I share

https://job.rikunabi.com/2016/company/top/r927381086/

■ Consumer game
◇ "Sonic" series
◇ "Yakuza" series
◇ "Phantasy Star" series
◇ "Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club" series
◇ "Puyo" series
◇ "Shining" series

■ network game ◇ Phantasy Star Online 2 ◇ Let's Make a professional baseball team! Online 2

■ mobile game ◇ chain Chronicle ◇ Puyo !! quest ◇ Kingdom Conquest 2 ◇ monster gear ◇ Orutanshia Saga - Blue Knighs

■ amusement equipment video games:  ◇ "Border Break" series ◇ "Virtua Fighter" series ◇ "WCCF" series ◇ Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Arcade ◇ "Sengoku War", "Romance of the Three Kingdoms War" series  ◇ "Shining Force" series ◇ Wonderland Wars other

■ amusement equipment prize products: ◇ "UFO catcher" series ◇ "GALILEO FACTORY" series ◇ "StarHorse" Series

Offline Trippled

Re: What does Sega of Japan consider as their major products?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »
Its interresting that their "network" games hasn't grown at all despite the PSO2 success

Also I wonder if more console games is just more localiuazations of the staple series listed or will branch out.

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 12:40:42 pm »
I actually find this quite sad. Do they not realise how many IP's they still have locked away that could easily become bigger then those mentioned.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 12:49:13 pm »
I actually find this quite sad. Do they not realise how many IP's they still have locked away that could easily become bigger then those mentioned.

Other than Let's Make a Sports Team and Shining series, the list is a lot smaller than you think.

Crazy Taxi, Streets of Rage and Shinobi are the only ones to come to mind.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 12:50:05 pm »
Nice to see 'Virtua Fighter Series' there.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »
I find Sega's commitment to the Shining series wierd. Didnt Valk 3 sell just as well as newer Shining?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 01:06:54 pm »
I find Sega's commitment to the Shining series wierd. Didnt Valk 3 sell just as well as newer Shining?

Storm speculated the reason being was because the producer of the games was being "protected" by Nagoshi.

I personally think the sales of the models probably plays a bigger hand in that.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 01:08:18 pm »
Storm speculated the reason being was because the producer of the games was being "protected" by Nagoshi.

I personally think the sales of the models probably plays a bigger hand in that.

Interesting. I would have thought that Valk has just as much potential for spin off merch though. I mean, even vehicles would be awesome toys/models. It's probably all about them bikini figurines you can 'hot glue' though (even so, Selvaria alone would be a gold mine for that).

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 01:12:15 pm »
Interesting. I would have thought that Valk has just as much potential for spin off merch though. I mean, even vehicles would be awesome toys/models. It's probably all about them bikini figurines you can 'hot glue' though (even so, Selvaria alone would be a gold mine for that).

Yeah but maybe the people who made Valkyria Chronicles didn't want their series to be turned into a dating series? The Shining series doesn't really have anyone to shoot down this stuff and content would making more and more sex appeal girls.

That would be my guess.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »
To be honest I think this is a list of games that are currently major products making major money. They're not saying everything not listed is on the shit list never to be seen again. Nothing to worry about frankly.

As Mademan said, happy to see VF on that list, pretty much guarantees more VF in the future... I do hope we see more Valkyria Chronicles too though.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 01:21:19 pm »
Yeah but maybe the people who made Valkyria Chronicles didn't want their series to be turned into a dating series? The Shining series doesn't really have anyone to shoot down this stuff and content would making more and more sex appeal girls.

I feel like they weren't too shy about the sex appeal with their characters, I would be surprised if they were that concerned about the series being used for sexy figurines etc. I mean, the beach scene alone was pretty fan-servicey.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 01:23:02 pm »
I feel like they weren't too shy about the sex appeal with their characters, I would be surprised if they were that concerned about the series being used for sexy figurines etc. I mean, the beach scene alone was pretty fan-servicey.

Yeah but Valkyria Chronicles major money maker wasn't the sex appeal, whilst I feel like it is with Shining. It's anyone's guess though, 7th Dragon is still continuing and that's smaller than either series.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 02:01:31 pm »

With which arguments you think that? (i am really asking)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 03:54:07 pm »
Skies of Arcadia, Golden Axe, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon, SEGA All-Stars Racing seems to have just disappeared since the last 2 did well and plenty others in their rich history. I'm not saying release them just because, but they seem to be just ignoring a lot of their own great games when some of them could of been built or maintained into something quite strong.

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2015, 05:12:30 pm »
the last 2? Panzer dragon and SEGA all star racing?, no idea about Panzer dragon but the all star racing thing have their last game only 3 years ago, is not a lot of time.
I dont trust SEGA Japan in bringing an old or a new franchise to live in a world scale level anyway, i think they are good at what they do but they dont really know how to promote their assets and efforts to a big scale. They reuse some franchises and create new ones, but pretty much non of them have succes in the west, rather because their own limitations or rather the power of the west publishers.

Is pretty much confirm to me that if someome is going to put a game on the table that can be a world succes is SEGA west (SEGA Europe to point out), and i dont think we should ask them to reuse some old franchise, with being original and creative is enough for me, is more the people than ask for something new than the people that want a sequel of "X" game anyway.