Author Topic: SEGA set to have exciting IAAPA trade show.(New Arcade hardware incoming?)  (Read 17957 times)

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
Re: SEGA set to have exciting IAAPA trade show.(New Arcade hardware incoming?)
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 05:34:45 pm »
lol, do you even know the line up of Sega West in the arcades is like? Video games are the minority (mostly shooters), its mostly carnival things. Sega Japan has kept novel and higher tech offerings to itself for years

SEGA Interactive,Ltd(HQ'd in Tokyo,Japan) is now the primary holder and parent company  of SEGA Amusements International.

All management,investment,operations and Brand designation is now under them. Sega Amusements International  is not in charge of licensing or R&D, they are only in charge of sales,vending and distribution of Arcade games and Amusement Machines for Overseas markets.

So, yes they can unveil and market a new Arcade board under the behest of SEGA Interactive . Since they're no longer seperately run from Kabushiki Kaisha Sega.

SEGA Interactive,Ltd is FULLY in charge.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 05:41:23 pm by EnternalHope »

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 06:49:02 pm »
So what's the next Japanese centric Arcade event that could possibly contain a VF6 announcement? Anything this year?

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:30 pm »
So what's the next Japanese centric Arcade event that could possibly contain a VF6 announcement? Anything this year?

AOU 2016.

February 2016.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 07:58:09 pm »
I don't like that sort of model myself . You need a reason to go into a Arcade and having games based around home or Mobile games just doesn't do it for me, not that an issues these days as the Arcades are all but dead in the UK and now just full of slot machines
It's not my favourite model, but a lot of Arcade games became console games in SEGA's heyday in some capacity anyway... So I'm not too concerned about it being the other way around. Of course Arcade games built for the Arcade first are always the top choice.
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 01:34:43 pm »
It's not my favourite model, but a lot of Arcade games became console games in SEGA's heyday in some capacity anyway... So I'm not too concerned about it being the other way around. Of course Arcade games built for the Arcade first are always the top choice.

Arcades are always going to be different experience from console gaming. Arcades are a public thing. Something you play in a public setting with a group of people. Arcades are more of a casual gaming experience, the difference between it and console gaming is, there's a larger fun factor and socialization.

There's always been this myth that Arcade gaming is inferior to console gaming. Arcades are generally technically superior to consoles and have bigger features and better gimmicks. Only in the 5th Gen, did console tech finally begin to catch up to Arcades. But I can say, console tech is now back to being completely inferior to Arcades.(PS4's Jaguar CPU  is on par with RINGEDGE 1 which is a 2009 Arcade board). Regarding, VR Arcade Tech, SEGA did file a JTO "3DLEDVISION" in Japan last year.

I believe Arcades are going make a GRAND comeback. What happened in the mid 90s was that the adjustment of inflation on gameplay costs to make up for operating losses made it impossible for people to want to pay $1 per play. The token and coin method had quickly gotten obsolete, so it became extremely difficult to convince vendors and consumers outside of Asia that the new 3D consoles were still behind Arcade boards. This was the cause of the Global Arcade collapse in the mid 1990s. Now in days, ALL Arcade games use a re-loadable card payment method.

Today, the console market is prejudiced, the Casuals who went nuts for Wii have moved on to mobile games, alot of older veteran gamers have become burned out by library offerings on the current gen consoles(nothing original), and because of Steam's convenience and the expenses of PC gaming have decreased dramatically they've moved mostly on to PC, the actual industry is split. Hardcore gamers are now much younger,less informed, have little knowledge about actual gaming history or how gaming companies are supposed to operate and run business.

The factor that made SEGA's Arcade ports and home consoles so fantastic, was that because SEGA doubled as a Arcade company, they could easily bring the Arcade experience into the home and knew how to bring the local multiplayer experience home too. It makes perfect sense for SEGA to invest in reviving its Core Business and using its strong points to rebuild their brand. SEGA need to tell younger gamers what type of BRAND they REALLY are. Not just this little publisher.

As far as I'm concerned, Arcades are winnable through Casuals. It's extremely EASY to win them over to the Arcades. Dave & Busters and Chuck E. Cheese here in the States are still successful though they don't have much newer lineup of Amusement games, again Arcades are at heart Casual. As long as NEWER games keep coming, and there are more vendors to buy them, the Casuals will keep coming to the Arcades.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 02:15:01 pm »
Sega already tried in the American with GameWorks (when HotD4, Lets go Jungle and After Burner Climax were pretty widespread). It did not work out.

Sega tried to sell higher technology from Japan to the West, but the arcades didn't want it. Either too expensive, and things like card features were not well received.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 04:39:47 pm »
Sega already tried in the American with GameWorks (when HotD4, Lets go Jungle and After Burner Climax were pretty widespread). It did not work out.

Sega tried to sell higher technology from Japan to the West, but the arcades didn't want it. Either too expensive, and things like card features were not well received.

GameWorks SKG was a joint venture between SEGA Enterprises,Ltd,LucasArts, and Universal Pictures in 1996. It was launched in Early 1997.

It was basically Dave & Busters sans Food and Drink. It's not hard to see why it failed.

In fact, GameWorks is where SEGA's finances begin to decline and is what SUNK Sega's console brand. Know why Dreamcast was discontinued so early in 2001 despite how GREAT it was doing in the West? GameWorks' $2 billion dollar investment cut off potential funding for Dreamcast and is also why SEGA couldn't get DVD-ROM.

The Arcade titles you mentioned came out in the mid 2000s towards the tail end of the now defunct GameWorks.

The difference today is that SEGA Holdings,Ltd is a much  BIGGER company and has far more markets and investment potential in Arcades compared to Sega Enterprises,Ltd who's net worth in 1996 was only $5 billion in estimated assets who also only sold toys in addition to consoles and Arcades. They also had less Theme parks.

http://www.sega-entertainment.jp/company_profile/group.html
Today, that's a different story. SEGA has 3X times more Amusement Centers and Theme park chains:

http://www.sega-live.com/en/business/

Regarding high end Arcade tech, the last time SEGA sold and licensed any for overseas use was Model 2 and Model 3 during the mid 1990s, exactly the same time the global Arcade business started collapsing.

It's now late 2015, Consoles no longer appeal to Casuals,PC gamers and Veteran gamers anymore. The simple reason being, they don't offer the same experience and have little to no co-op and local multiplayer titles with appeal.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:22 pm »

Why would want to play a game that you can play to death in the home ?. To me the likes of SEGA needs to give people a reason to the Arcades . Its kind of like a Cinema showing films that came to the TV 1st . I think its very different to wanting a port of a top Arcade game
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 02:03:15 pm »
Why would want to play a game that you can play to death in the home ?. To me the likes of SEGA needs to give people a reason to the Arcades . Its kind of like a Cinema showing films that came to the TV 1st . I think its very different to wanting a port of a top Arcade game

SEGA needs to drive people BACK into the Arcade dens,Restaurants, and Facilities.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 02:47:00 pm »

We had this debate ages ago on the forums when I said that I regularly play Crazy Taxi in arcades despite owning the game.

To answer the question of why would somebody play an arcade game when they own it at home, arcades can (they don't always) offer an experience you cannot find at home. Compare the likes of F-Zero AX, Thunder Blade, Hang-On, House of the Dead 1-4, Crazy Taxi, All-Stars Racing to their home equivalents. You lose the ability to sit and drive or ride the game, you don't get the cool plastic shotguns or guns, you lose the lights and sounds, you lose the cabinet specific leaderboards, you lose the ability to play a game well in public to impress passersby. In the case of fighting games, in-person fights with strangers is much more fun than online matchmaking.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 03:00:47 pm »
We had this debate ages ago on the forums when I said that I regularly play Crazy Taxi in arcades despite owning the game.

To answer the question of why would somebody play an arcade game when they own it at home, arcades can (they don't always) offer an experience you cannot find at home. Compare the likes of F-Zero AX, Thunder Blade, Hang-On, House of the Dead 1-4, Crazy Taxi, All-Stars Racing to their home equivalents. You lose the ability to sit and drive or ride the game, you don't get the cool plastic shotguns or guns, you lose the lights and sounds, you lose the cabinet specific leaderboards, you lose the ability to play a game well in public to impress passersby. In the case of fighting games, in-person fights with strangers is much more fun than online matchmaking.

Basically, Arcades offer social experiences,co-op gameplay and public leisure.

Something missing from consoles now in days.

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 04:37:40 pm »

Basically, Arcades offer social experiences,co-op gameplay and public leisure.

Something missing from consoles now in days.

I don't even know what to say.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 05:48:58 pm »
I don't even know what to say.

Arcades can be enjoyed by everyone in a setting. Family members,young children,elderly people. Plus its local multiplayer with people you both KNOW and see.

Young children don't sit in their room alone, playing boring FPS, spending $70 on a shovelware game they'll return to the store once they beat it,chatting with a stranger online about which company is better than the other and whining on the internet about running business they know nothing about.

Arcades bring people together and give them a cheap price for a gaming experience. $1 per play.

Arcades also make FASTER profit.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 12:00:51 am »
We had this debate ages ago on the forums when I said that I regularly play Crazy Taxi in arcades despite owning the game.To answer the question of why would somebody play an arcade game when they own it at home, arcades can (they don't always) offer an experience you cannot find at home. Compare the likes of F-Zero AX, Thunder Blade, Hang-On, House of the Dead 1-4, Crazy Taxi, All-Stars Racing to their home equivalents

Well with the likes of ThunderBlade, Hang On (bar Shenmue)  and House of the Dead we never had perfect ports to the home , Crazy Taxi was just a simple clean fun game that one could play to kill a few mins at a time, that said it's Arcade Cab was nothing really special .House of the Dead III ect different story
I used to love to play Arcade games at the home not only because it mosts they were ace but also to perfect the moves ready to show off in the Arcade, I don't really want to show my moves on a mobile or console game when I can do that online already .

I'm not having a dig at SEGA so much, but people need a reason to go the Arcades and playing games they can either download free or have played to death on the consoles are reasons to want to go to a Arcade imo
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure