Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88900 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Microsoft's E3 Press conference.
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2010, 05:18:33 pm »
Child of Eden was a bright shining spot. Made me feel like it was 1999 again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2010, 05:33:27 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
The problem with everything is that gaming is dead.

Eastside, stop hacking into Crackdude's account...

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2010, 06:50:50 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Child of Eden was a bright shining spot. Made me feel like it was 1999 again.

Ubisoft was represented on Microsoft's presser by that fitness game. It doesn't count.

unfortunately

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »
The problem with everything is that gaming is dead.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »
You could always pick three games from any genre (be in fighters, platformers, racers etc etc) released at any time in history look the same, entirely breaking the argument.

Medal of Honor is also supposed to emulate Modern Warfare's success in every way, so it is not completely fair I think. Killzone was also never good.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:01 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
You could always pick three games from any genre (be in fighters,

platformers,

racers

etc etc) released at any time in history look the same, entirely breaking the argument.
Sure thing. =P

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2010, 08:34:41 pm »
YEAH

Give up Snaus, look how similar these three First Person games are from this gen!

I bet you can't even tell them apart because they are all so alike etc etc

I will admit that the picture from cracked.com was funny though!

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2010, 08:36:05 pm »
All of the fighters Fluffy posted have similar scoring systems, same color health bars, same basic gameplay styles with the same kind of attacks (different controls, but MW2, K3 and MoH do not control the same, either...), their names being represented under their health, two enemies fighting one another, markers next to their names for wins, as well as having similarities outside of those images that include character selections being the same, premise being the same (some kind of tournament bullshit), similar controls for attacks to be executed, so many things I could mention on just this genre with what you have shown.

Literally anyone who plays one of those fighters and understands what is going on can instantly play the next one without learning a single extra thing. The rest can said about everything else you posted, though I would consider Joe & Mac more of a beat em up or even a run n gun than a general platformer. Still the same logic applies. Come on Shelly, COME ON!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »

there, all different. all fighting.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »
None are from the same generation though? 3D boxing games, 3D fighters and beat em ups are also different genres.

Anyways, onto the info for the new Xbox 360 model:

It can still break, but no more red lights. Shadi's entire backlog of jokes just disintegrated in front of him.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2010, 09:50:18 pm »
It's pretty much the same thing really.. The size difference ain't that big either. The design kinda grows on you though.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #116 on: June 16, 2010, 10:06:30 pm »
It's pretty much the same thing really.. The size difference ain't that big either. The design kinda grows on you though.

But it is not the same thing, you picked different games from barely similar genres.

It is like if I were to pick three different FPSs I posted images of Breakdown on Xbox, Metroid Prime on GameCube and The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind on Xbox. All are in the same perspective and in the same generation, but none play similar at all because they are different genres. The first games Fluffy posted specifically are similar in that they are based off of similar things, are in the same genre, similar setting and have similar kinds of weapons that are based on actual weapons. Of course things based on the SAME THING will look similar! Not all FPSs like this, just off the top of my head I would say Brink and Halo Reach look nothing like those because they are based off of different things, and thus have different styles and settings.

The fact that games LOOK similar and PLAY similar is because they are in the same genre, it is basic and common knowledge that we as human beings separate things off into groups to distinguish them from other genres and franchises. FFS!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #117 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:28 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

But it is not the same thing, you picked different games from barely similar genres.

It is like if I were to pick three different FPSs I posted images of Breakdown on Xbox, Metroid Prime on GameCube and The Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind on Xbox. All are in the same perspective and in the same generation, but none play similar at all because they are different genres. The first games Fluffy posted specifically are similar in that they are based off of similar things, are in the same genre, similar setting and have similar kinds of weapons that are based on actual weapons. Of course things based on the SAME THING will look similar! Not all FPSs like this, just off the top of my head I would say Brink and Halo Reach look nothing like those because they are based off of different things, and thus have different styles and settings.

The fact that games LOOK similar and PLAY similar is because they are in the same genre, it is basic and common knowledge that we as human beings separate things off into groups to distinguish them from other genres and franchises. FFS!
Easy dude! I was commenting on the Xbox! LOOL

Yeah, you are kinda right. Kinda. Cause even if all that you are saying is indeed true, that simple doesn't change the fact that they DO LOOK AND PLAY THE SAME. They could be different, but they aren't! Being based on the same thing isn't an excuse when everyone is tired of the same thing and they could be concentrating on something else rather than copying eachothers. Why not innovate? Create new worlds instead of using the same things over and over. There's an obvious market saturation going on.

Imitation is NOT GOOD.
"Medal of Honor is also supposed to emulate Modern Warfare's success in every way, so it is not completely fair I think."
This is NOT ok. This is stupid. If I like MW, I play MW! Why make another game almost exactly like it?

Think about all the failed Outrun games that came out in the same period with the same concept. Outrunners, Turbo Outrun, Outrun2019, Outrun Europa, Battle Outrun, ... they all SUCKED. If you wanted to play Outrun, you'd play Outrun.

Point is: yes, some games are very similar cause they are of the same genre and based off the same things. Fact. But that isn't a good thing! At all! :P
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2010, 10:40:11 pm »
What about when Streets of Rage tried to imitate Final Fight and ended up kicking it's ass and being really awesome and still played today?

Sometimes imitations can be good!

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:37 pm »
I think Crackdude answered his own point, people want more of the same games they like, which is why the spinoffs to OutRun never took off, they were too different from the original. Games like Medal of Honor are specifically TRYING to emulate Modern Warfare 2's style and gameplay because it is so popular and so many people like it. They might try new concepts anyways, you cannot always tell by just looking. I can understand if you do not like the genre, but give these games a shot before being so certain based on just the art. I always thought I would hate DOOM growing up (and you certainly cannot say much about the art), but once I tried it I really did love it and was really impressed, it is one of my favorite games even!