Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88858 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Microsoft's E3 Press conference.
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2010, 11:00:02 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
What about when Streets of Rage tried to imitate Final Fight and ended up kicking it's ass and being really awesome and still played today?

Sometimes imitations can be good!
I acknowledge this and change my opinion to: although these games can be great, our industry is in need of some diversity.

Doesn't that sound better?  :afroman:

Still, that happened because the game didn't come out on the MegaDrive.
Those shooters (except for killzone) are multiplatform. They are just flooding the market in my opinion..

AFTER SANUS POST:
Hey, don't get me wrong. I like FPS. I just don't quite enjoy the current most popular ones as much. I love Return to Castle Wolfeinstein, Quake 3A, Unreal Tournament 3, Halo 1 and other first person style games like Mirror's Edge and Oblivion.
I just feel that there is no need to keep doing the same things! Why are there so many WW2 games? Why every FPS tries to copy COD as much as it can? There should be more creativity! Make up stuff! Like Halo. Halo would hardly win any prize other than "best B-movie story in a kick-ass game" in my opinion, and that's why I like it. It created it's own story. This is great.
I'm just sick of being the good white american fighting the nasty nazis and soviets and bin ladens.

Don't you just sometimes feel all these games are basically the same thing over and over?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2010, 11:12:34 pm »
Well that is the great thing about being videogames as a hobby, you have a choice as to what you play!

For stuff like World War II games, it is just an extremely popular setting that had so many different kinds of stories to tell, it is very easy to sell too. It is similar to why you do not see like ANY innovations to fighting games ever anymore, all of the best ideas are popularized right away, and anything too unique could hurt the overall experience and what your fanbase thinks of you, stuff like that. It is a very hash business.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2010, 11:25:00 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
What about when Streets of Rage tried to imitate Final Fight and ended up kicking it's ass and being really awesome and still played today?

Sometimes imitations can be good!
I acknowledge this and change my opinion to: although these games can be great, our industry is in need of some diversity.

You want diversity?

Zeno Clash
The Darkness
Condemned
Bioshock
Far Cry 2

Those are only games that are First Person Shooters (Save for maybe Condemned and ZC, but Zeno Clash is more melee, but it's so cool and unique I included it. ) AND the whole list is made up of games I personally own, AND only from this Gen. Even with those restrictions I found 5 games that are completely different to eachother and to Call of Duty.

Zeno Clash is set in a wildly imaginative fantasy world with bizarre and wonderful creatures and weapons.

The Darkness is about a Mafia hitman gaining supernatural powers that let him control the darkness and demons as he seeks revenge in New York's underworld.

Condemned is about a detective fighting insanity and investigating a crime while homeless people and psychos try to murder him.

Bioshock throws you into an underwater city built in the 1930s, and gives you superpowers.

Far Cry 2 is set in the deserts and jungles of Africa, where you can go anywhere and take missions from anybody, upgrade your weapons as you see fit and basically just be a mercenary for hire in an exotic location.

Sounds like there is some killer diversity amongst just the FPS games I own. Do you still think there is no diversity in the genre these days? Try out some of these games (particularly Zeno Clash), I think they'll satisfy your need for something different.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2010, 04:03:24 am »
Cmon guys, let's not get our tempers flaming.

MadeMan, I've yet to play Zeno Clash, but out of the others the only one I really REALLY enjoyed was Bioshock. God you're right, that was something. The other ones are just meh. FEAR is cool too.

But I get your point, maybe I'm just not looking hard enough for them.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2010, 04:52:26 am »
I've had to move a whole lot of posts.

Fluffy and Sanus, you two need to chill out. You are both at fault here, so please try not to flame each other or other members in future.

Thanks to Crackdude for actually keeping things sensible in this thread.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2010, 10:46:02 am »
No problem ;)

Hey! I just remembered that Cosmic Smash would go along freaking well with kinect!
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2010, 10:59:21 am »
That and Ollie King.

Probably won't happen, but a man can dream...

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:20 am »
Actually Ollie King could already had been made for the RIDE skateboard thing..
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2010, 07:56:56 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
That and Ollie King.

Probably won't happen, but a man can dream...

I just spilled my drink. It never crossed my mind.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2010, 08:10:04 pm »
Ollie King might as well use the Tony Hawk ride board. In the end, I rather not play it on home consoles.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:20 pm »
I only played Ollie King once at the GameWorks Chicago which is now closed. :(

I wouldn't mind a home version:

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2010, 08:17:30 pm »
I think this whole 'only use kinect' experience is lame. I thought Eyetoy didn't work well alone and it should have been used with a controller.

Example: Shooter uses the eyetoy to move back and forth (head tracking) to dodge missiles while the Move controller is for shooting. Fine.

I think the best experiences on Kinect will come from stuff that uses the Microphone, tracking for 'certian' things. But main gameplay 'being traditional' Think Mario Galaxy 2.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2010, 12:09:30 am »
You can use a controller with Kinect, and I am certain this is how the best games for it will be made.

I do not know why you always compare it to EyeToy, the difference between them is massive, it is just up to the developers to choose what kind of games to make for it is all.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2010, 01:34:16 am »
I sure hope that there are in-store demos of Sonic Free Riders this holiday season, because I really do wanna play it.... but without having to buy it. ^^;;;

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2010, 06:35:02 pm »
After an awesome post by Sanus, this thread went into hiding.

Bumping it back up due to pricing details!
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010 ... gust-3.ars

I'm actually surprised that so many are jumping on the hate wagon by declaring "$150! What a rip-off!" when a game is included. Up until now, it was thought to be $150 with no game.

Personally I hope a stand alone unit comes out at $100, but thankfully they included one of the more interesting party games. Way I see it, any potential Kinect buyer would get one game at launch anyway, so they'd be spending $150 regardless. Anywho, I'm still on the fence. If some freelance work comes my way, I'll get the thing at launch. If not, I'll hold off until the price lowers or a standalone unit arrives.

Obligatory PS3 price comparison:

Kinect bundle (with game): $150
1-? player experience

Move Sports bundle + secondary controller: $130
1 player experience

Move Sports bundle + Second move controller + secondary controller (2x): $210
2 player experience

If I had to choose one, I'd go for the Kinect. Lower price for unlimited players compared to Sony's one player at a time model. Lesser (and cheaper) of two evils. I'd prefer to buy a Wii than buy into the Move. (IMO!!!!)  :afroman:

I'm a little drunk right now, so excuse the rambling. drunk g