Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88857 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Microsoft's E3 Press conference.
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:37 pm »
That comparison isn't fair.
Both those included games are shit, but the Kinect one is obligatory.

And I prefer holding to something, so Kinect just doesn't excite me a whole lot. That and not being able to play games sat down.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2010, 02:05:00 am »
Move bundle is $130 and does not even have the nunchuck, which is $30. To be fair you can use a normal PlayStation 3 controller, but it is fair to compare this stuff.

I think Move offers more variety and more options, but this is mainly because it is everything that has been on Wii for like two years or so. Kinect will offer new kinds of experiences, but I cannot think of much you can do with these kind of games. Did you see the soccer game? That would have been laughable 20 years ago.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2010, 07:38:48 am »
I saw the price tag, I don't care. I won't care for a long time. There is only one game coming. The only good thing to come out of this announcement is the 4GB model, which will make for a relatively cheap replacement when my system decides to break after the warranty expires.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2010, 07:54:21 am »
I think the comparison is fair. Everything required for the complete 1 player Move experience compared to everything required for the complete 1 player Kinect experience. If I wanted to bend the numbers I would have added up enough Move gear to facilitate 4 players, then we'd be looking at $150 for Kinect and $250-$370 for Move.

Would I have to choose between one or the other, I'd go with Kinect. All in one package and no need for additional controllers. Also, the secondary Move controller may be "optional" but I am certain that every Move buyer will get one at some point.

Quote from: "Orta"
I saw the price tag, I don't care. I won't care for a long time. There is only one game coming. The only good thing to come out of this announcement is the 4GB model, which will make for a relatively cheap replacement when my system decides to break after the warranty expires.

Yeah, Kinect probably won't win a lot of folks over until next year when the more "hardcore" games are announced. Personally I hope SEGA and especially AM2 have something planned.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I think the comparison is fair. Everything required for the complete 1 player Move experience compared to everything required for the complete 1 player Kinect experience. If I wanted to bend the numbers I would have added up enough Move gear to facilitate 4 players, then we'd be looking at $150 for Kinect and $250-$370 for Move.

Would I have to choose between one or the other, I'd go with Kinect. All in one package and no need for additional controllers. Also, the secondary Move controller may be "optional" but I am certain that every Move buyer will get one at some point.
I'm sorry, but that is some bullshit logic and it's weird coming from you Barry.
Define "complete experience". For me complete experience is one single move controller. My total: 50 bucks. Kinect: 150. Holy shit.

I think it's way better to have an option to choose what you want to have and pay what is fitting of your own experience than have to pay a behemoth 150 bucks for an ACCESSORY. I'd rather pay that much for a rock band drum kit and I still think it's a robbery of a price.

I also prefer to buy something I know it will work rather than something that the best most people say is "it kinda works".
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2010, 03:46:43 pm »
You need the PlayStation Eye to use the Move controller at all. Move has also had as much negative response as Kinect has in talking about how it works.

I do not know why he brought in multiple controllers though. I mean, obviously a lot of these games are designed around multiplayer stuff, but many are not, and most of the people here will mostly be interested in stuff like a lightgun collection, not a party game collection - Something Kinect has been known for very well.

I mean like, I am super excited for that Sly Cooper collection, and it has Move support. They never said what they are adding, but I am already more interested in Move because of this game alone.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2010, 08:41:57 pm »
I do not know why he brought in multiple controllers though. I mean, obviously a lot of these games are designed around multiplayer stuff, but many are not, and most of the people here will mostly be interested in stuff like a lightgun collection, not a party game collection - Something Kinect has been known for very well.

I think he was just referring to me adding on the secondary $30 controller. I agree, the concept of adding a mega-package up is silly. In fact, MS has started making graphs showing off the price comparison using that logic. I guess they make a point multiplayer-wise, but very few people will actually own 4 Moves. They'll probably just rely on friends to bring theirs over.

Quote from: "crackdude"
I'm sorry, but that is some bullshit logic and it's weird coming from you Barry.
Define "complete experience". For me complete experience is one single move controller. My total: 50 bucks. Kinect: 150. Holy shit.

How is adding the $30 for the secondary controller bullshit? I used the the phrase "complete experience" so people didn't jump on my back screaming "bullshit! bullshit!" when I added up the price of the complete package. Trust me, when Move is in full swing, there is going to be a number of games that will call for the secondary controller or even two move controllers (check out half of the publicity photos and demo videos to see players utilizing more than just one Move controller). Will you be required to play like that? Probably not, but you'd be missing out on certain gameplay elements and improved controls. I doubt this:

Could be done with one Move controller? To be fair, I also doubt the above could be done with one Kinect, but then again Move and Kinect are meant for different experiences and interfaces.

Also, I made the assumption that the average gamer does not have the Playstation Eye, thus complete Move package for most consumers will be: Eye, Move controller, Secondary controller and a game (because what else are you going to do with it?). Total = $130. It's still $20 less than Kinect, so haters can cheer.

This is not to say that there aren't exceptions, such as yourself, who seem to have a playstation eye already and will not be buying the secondary controller. But like I said, just giving the price totalz dawg.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
Re: Motion Control Wars
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:39 am »
Alright, I'm chillin man..
My line of thought was that I prefer the way Move let's you spend as much as you personally need.
Like when the Xbox and PS3 were new, I always preferred the Xbox because it didn't have everything in it, so it was cheaper and one could buy things needed at will instead of spending 200 bucks extra on the go.

Myself I'm much of a multiplayer guy. I always have at least 2 of everything for when I have friends coming over. Still, I like buying things in a as-needed basis.
My main interest with Move is Child of Eden. So at least in the first few months I won't be needing to spend more than 50 or 80 bucks.

Of course I think comparing both devices can only go as far as comparing raw prices, cause in terms of functionality I really don't like what Kinect is aiming at.
SEG4GES

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2010, 02:53:01 pm »
Quote from: "ShadiWulf"
There's no shortage of them around these parts. =P

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2010, 05:18:36 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
There's no shortage of them around these parts. =P
OH!
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #146 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30:39 am »
There is only one Move game that requires two move controllers and its that fighting one. I don't see why sites are all freaking out that you need 4 move controllers and 4 navigation controllers. I'm not getting move personally, unless SEGA ports some good light gun shooters and Dead Space 2 is amazing.

Also, I'm not getting a navigation controller, I can just use a DS3.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2010, 07:28:47 am »
George is back! (two Move controllers required for replies to this post)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #148 on: August 10, 2010, 07:31:29 am »
Yes, I got back yesterday afternoon, slept all day. I was pretty tired.

(Playstation Eye is required to read this reply)

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2010, 05:51:31 am »
Just read this on Kotaku's comments. It's pretty funny and spot on:

They should start a line of TV spots named "Kinect Can't" since the list of features today is half as long as the original one.

Kinect Can't: Be used while sitting

Kinect Can't: work properly if you have pets in the living room

Kinect Can't: replace the cost of 4 controllers for co-op play as previously suggested (only tracks 2 active)

Kinect Can't: work in small rooms

Kinect Can't: work well if you have a flickering candle or sun coming through vertical blinds being moved by a celling fan (or the flash of cameras)

Kinect Can't: follow reality well since they want to enhance the experience forcing you to Drive a car Standing Up

Kinect Can't: allow friends in your house since the first thing everyone will do (at least me) will be to say out loud "Xbox Shutdown" as soon as I see a Kinect device

Kinect Can't Play resource intensive games since the original built in processor was removed also and now it relies on the xbox.

Kinect Can't be used with loose clothes because it knows that when you are home you wear spandex .

BUT for 150$ Kinect CAN do some of the things the Wii can plus entertain your fantasy of having your very own little kid to play with late at night.
SEG4GES