Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88754 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Motion Control Wars
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2010, 05:55:50 am »
I dunno, it might actually help a little by being one of the few games on the Kinect that hardcore gamers will be interested in, meaning that most gamers who pick up Kinect will pick up a copy of Draco as well.

It's going to depend on a lot of factors and it's tough to call at this stage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2010, 06:53:22 am »
No it didn't sell 100 million units, but it sold better than Phantom Dust. It does not take a genius to know that a higher number of potential owners could mean better sales. ICO was not really advertised and SOC was a cult hit.

No it didn't it . so  Why do expect every X-Box owner to buy Phantom Dust (and note it never came to Europe) but don't mind that ICO never sold to the 40 or 50 million PS2 fans at the time, or the 100 million life time sales I do not know  

We could all list Niche games that didn't sell well on platforms, and GOD knows there's been a few , on the PS2 and PS3.

if anything, i'm PRO 360, I said it should offer both 360 traditional controls and Kinect. It offers an experience to more people. How is this Anti 360?

Now're you having a laugh . Any chance you get to have a little dig or find a fault at MS you're there.

I don't know how a person, like you, would think Phantom Dust and Project Darco is good for Natal. This is how Natal is being advertise, how do the games fit into the equation?

I'm not for Project Darco for Natal at all . But I could see how a game like Phantom Dust (yes I do own the game) could just about work on Natal. As its reminds me very much of Psy Phi
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:29:19 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2010, 09:55:47 am »
Again, I bought Project Dust the day it came out, so I don't see what you are on about me being 'anti Microsoft' and you say the reason that I'm anti Micorosft is because I said Phantom Dust failed. I never said in any statement that all niche games where a success on PS2. Not by all means. If that was so, we would have Clover Studios still.

What I said is, if you have a larger consumer base, you are likely to sell more. Okami failed, but it sold 200,000 in the US. How much did PZO, Shenmue II and Phantom Dust do in the US?

I don't think any game should be made for Move or Natal exclusively, especially a niche title, till they have sold at least 5 million units and have at least a 1 million+ seller that isn't pack in.

Maybe in the end of the day, the real issue here is that you are anti Sony? I make one obvious statement and you jump on it because it might paint the PS2 in the a positive light.

Take a business class.

I don't see the harm in the game supporting traditional controls and Kinect, more consumers that will be able to pick up the title. You say you have no issues with having both control methods, but come in here and attack me.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:49 am »
Maybe in the end of the day, the real issue here is that you are anti Sony? I make one obvious statement and you jump on it because it might paint the PS2 in the a positive light.

Yes I'm anti PS and to a point PS2, PS3 I quite like . Now George its pretty clear to most your are not a fan of MS or the 360, and its not just to do with Natal, its X-Box LIVE, Gears of war and so on.

Maybe you're upset Draco isn't coming to the PS3 and Move, maybe that why you had the silly dig at Phantom Dust and how it didn't sell to the 24 Million users. How well did Africa sell mate ? did it sell to the 35 million odd PS3 users, what about Mojib Ribbon did that sell to the 40 million PS 2 user in Japan, what about Foklkore . ]

And  I could go on listing plenty of niche titles that haven't sold well on the PS.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2010, 10:35:57 am »
If I was not a fan of Microsoft, why would I own a Xbox and a Xbox 360? Why would Xbox be the only console 'after Dreamcast' that I owned for most of last generation? You make lots of sense and know me.

No where in my post was I upset that the game isn't on PS3. Again, you are just angry at nothing. Afrika? Dude that game sucks. Are you comparing it to Phantom Dust in terms of quality? Folklore did not have that big of a user base, at the time of release. Sad, great game. If you actually read my post, I said niche titles fail on Sony consoles, they fail on all consoles. But they have a greater chance of success if the console has more potential buyers. What part don't you understand?

Again, it isn't about you listing specific titles. ICO, as you listed, did 700,000 world wide. Well for a niche title. Great. I don't care.

It is about common sense. Having traditional controllers along with Kinect means more users can enjoy the game. How is this Anti MS? You are delusional.

Shouldn't you be posting about how all PS3 exclusives should be ported to 360 if they want to sell? I mean, with me going insane about how 'supporting other controller methods' is better for the title and all.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2010, 10:45:18 am »
George does make a good point though, the smaller the userbase, the less likely a game would be a major success, of course niche games can still failure, like George pointed out with Okami on the Playstation 2, but it is more likely the game will fail than meet targets on a smaller userbase.

If you had traditional controllers, you've just got the whole 360 audience, if you have just Kinect, you've only got the new userbase coming into play which I may add, will not include a large number of non-English speaking users for about a year from launch.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:01 am »
If I was not a fan of Microsoft, why would I own a Xbox and a Xbox 360?

I'm not a fan of NCL at all,in fact I hate NCl with a passion  but own or have owned the SNES, N64 , Cube and Wii. I hate the PS2 but own the machine, simple because its got games I like to play on it, as was the case for the Snes, Cube ECT .

Does that make me a fan of NCl or the PS2 ?.

Why would Xbox be the only console 'after Dreamcast' that I owned for most of last

Now if I said that you'll have a point , I didn't. but by all means keep going OTT

Are you comparing it to Phantom Dust in terms of quality

Try No. I'm just saying niche games don't always sell.
And I've yet to see any game (niche or mainstream) sell to the entire user base of the console . So you little Phantom Dust rant, was incredible silly imo.

Do you understand ?

the smaller the userbase, the less likely a game would be a major success, of course niche games can still failure, like George pointed out with Okami on the Playstation 2

That is obvious , So seeing that 360 is 4/5 million units  ahead of the PS3 in worldwide sales , it was right to put Draco on the 360 ?. Natal or Move aren't onthe market at all yet, so we've got nothing to base sales on too

Maybe like with Garden of Eden it can also be played with Pad, we just don't know yet
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2010, 11:18:49 am »
You missed the point completely. You are trying to argue about what consoles I like and that really has nothing to do with the topic in hand. Logic does.

If the game used traditional control methods along with Kinect, it would mean more people can buy the game.

If you can't respond to this fact, then don't bother responding. You are turning this into a console war. I don't care what you think about consoles that is your own affair, don't bring your fanboyism here.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:59 pm »
Quote from: "George"

If the game used traditional control methods along with Kinect, it would mean more people can buy the game.

Maybe it can, we just don't know yet . Seeing as the 360 got 4 millions user that's a bigger base to aim for, both for natal and this game.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:19 pm »
4 million users than what? I assume you mean PS3, which has nothing to do with this conversation, seeing as its not coming out on PS3 or has anyone ask for a port.

42 million 360 owners won't be able to buy this game, since its Kinect exclusive.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »
MS has estimated global sales of over 3 million Kinect units in the holiday period. Of course, that remains to be seen, however if that total is met and Draco turns out to be a solid title, I'd imagine that a good number of those Kinect users will demo it and buy it. The lower number of non-family titles may play to Draco's advantage in that the hardcore selection would not be saturated.

Offline George

« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2010, 12:23:48 pm »
We shall see. But not to mock Microsoft's estimates, but they have been pretty wrong lately. Kin and Zune brand have both failed. We shall see. Just saying, Microsoft isn't the best with estimates.

That means it will sell more than iPad? I highly doubt it.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:14 pm »
4 million users than what? I assume you mean PS3, which has nothing to do with this conversation, seeing as its not coming out on PS3 or has anyone ask for a port.

Nothing to do with the battle of Motion control wars LOL ?, but lets bring in Phantom Dust a game on a different platform and a game with not  a single motion control in sight.l

And The PS3 has everything do with it , Natal and Move will be going head to head for all those casual sheep . I rather all the games were made for the Pad myself, I see Natal as an Epic fail, but who knows
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »
Kinect and Move do not have a 42 million and 38  million userbase. They have a zero. It is great that you are getting back on topic.

Phantom Dust has to do with Project Darco, the developers last game. Just stating the obvious, that it didn't do well with 20 something potential buyers, having kinect optional is the best way for the game.

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »
My impressions with Move so far.

Hey, I've posted a few times that I had the PS move on pre-order so thought I would let you know how I feel about it now that it's in my apartment.

I got two Moves, a navigation pad, Sports Champions and Resdient Evil 5. I'll also be picking up Flight Control from the PSN as I love the game on my iPhone.

Firstly setting it up is a breeze, just plug the camera into one of the (front only grr.) USB ports, switch it to wide angle and then sync a Move controller like any other controller and you are good to go.
I did have an issue with my room being too bright for it to work, this is a pretty big deal as my blinds don't fully block out the light and I had to improvise with a picnic blanket.
I didn't realise this would be such an issue, but I should stress it was 11am and I live in the penthouse of an East facing apartment and it was very sunny this morning.

From what I have tried so far the controls are fantastic; Sports champions has an excellent Table Tennis game that is so accurate you will actually start moving around more the higher your rally- running towards your TV/net to get the tricky shots.
I will say this now, if Virtua Tennis plays half as well as this then I am certain it'll be the most fun tennis game I have ever played, and I love Virtua Tennis 1. A lot.

Archery is another fun game that is really immersive when using two Moves, you hold one out like the bow and with the other you reach behind your back and press T to grab the arrow, you then position and fletch and use the bow to aim.
It sounds lame but it really works, although my left arm did get pretty tired after a couple of rounds.

Bocce (Boules) and Disc golf were good but pretty uninspiring, and beach ball felt like a QTE but with motions.

Finally I tried Resident Evil 5, it's a game that I haven't played before and had only read people groaning that it was built for co-op so I didn't really go in expecting very much.
I was very pleasantly surprised with how intuitive the controls are, you use the Navigation analogue stick to move, and L1 to sprint. on the Move side you press the trigger to aim and then the M button to shoot (which is weird as I would expect the trigger to be the fire button), the four face buttons on the move access the inventory, map and speak button. shaking the move uses the knife and shaking when aiming reloads.

Within moments I was popping off head shots and running about the map having a blast, being able to aim so easily really does help with immersion, before I knew it I was late for work.

So mainly positive so far, assuming it's cloudy enough to play it.
There are a lot of games coming out that I am interested in that seem to be more experienced than casual gamer; such as Sorcery, Heroes on the Move, Killzone 3, LBP2, Virtua Tennis and Socom 4.
I think that if this is supported well it could be the start of something really different on the PS3.