Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88755 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Motion Control Wars
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2010, 02:24:39 pm »
Glad you are having positive experience. I don't have the funds to buy it. I mean, I could, but I also want other games this fall, including Rock Band 3 (with the Pro Guitar) - Don't hate.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2010, 06:12:08 pm »
Thanks for the impressions Monkerooney! Sounds like you had a ball with it, good to hear that you liked RE5.  Ireally enjoyed that game with regular controls, so it should be great with motion too. Don't forget Heavy Rain will be getting a Move edition as well, so keep your eyes out for that one.

If you like Light-gun games then you'll have Razing Storm and the 'The Shoot' coming eventualy too (not sure what The Shoot will be like though).

As for Kinect, I think people are underestimating this thing, I think it has some real potential to take the gaming world by storm. It might not be huge, but I think that MS might not be far off on their estimates.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »
I picked up a move controller today too.
I already had the camera, so I didn't get a bundle. I just picked up the controller and downloaded a few of the demos for the time being (holding out for echochrome II).

The first time I paired the controller up with the system, the ball went through all the colours. Very hypnotic.......anyway,

I'm right there with Monkeroony on the table tennis.  It was very accurate.
In fact, I was pretty terrible at it at first.  After all the years of playing games of the like on the Wii, I was used to just needing to pay attention to swinging at the right time/angle.  This thing actually pays attention to the depth. IE, how close/far away you move affects things too.
I tried out a block stacking game too. It was a little surreal to see the on-screen controller moving around in 3D space (pushing objects further away/pulling them towards you as you rotate) all in real time 1:1.

The only other Demo that was up on the North American store (the UK ones say my display settings aren't right), was the eyepet game.  There's this announcer guy that's a little grating and keeps popping up as a tutorial for everything.  The concept's pretty cool, but the lighting issue came into play on this one.  The game itself says that the lighting's got to be pretty middle of the road between dim and too bright.  Thing is, the lighting in the game room isn't anything special, so it shows up pretty dim on the playstation eye.  The pet would follow the controller just fine (big glowing ball), but wasn't detecting other movement all that well.  Probably just the lighting.

Overall, it seems like a pretty solid device. It's got a nice weight to it, and the ball is a lot squishier than you'd imagine. Now I've just got to wait for that Time Crisis game, and keep my fingers crossed for some House of the Dead 4......

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2010, 02:57:34 am »
Quote from: "George"
Kinect and Move do not have a 42 million and 38  million userbase. They have a zero. It is great that you are getting back on topic.

Phantom Dust has to do with Project Darco, the developers last game. Just stating the obvious, that it didn't do well with 20 something potential buyers, having kinect optional is the best way for the game.

I was always on Topic mate. Phantom Dust didn't have a motion control in sight, and unlike Yukio Futatsug 'last game', wasn't a RPG or had a Dragon Rider in sight, but there you go

And I'll love to know what game as sold to the entire console user base , I don't think there's ever been one.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline George

« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2010, 03:02:23 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Quote from: "George"
Kinect and Move do not have a 42 million and 38  million userbase. They have a zero. It is great that you are getting back on topic.

Phantom Dust has to do with Project Darco, the developers last game. Just stating the obvious, that it didn't do well with 20 something potential buyers, having kinect optional is the best way for the game.

I was always on Topic mate. Phantom Dust didn't have a motion control in sight, and unlike Yukio Futatsug 'last game', wasn't a RPG or had a Dragon Rider in sight, but there you go

And I'll love to know what game as sold to the entire console user base , I don't think there's ever been one.
Of course you where.

Again, design choices or games are not what I was talking about at all. You totally miss my points, even when I make them as simple as possible. Its circles.

Yeah, of course not. That is never going to happen, but that does not mean you are correct. More users that can buy your games mean potential sales. When did I say every user that buys a 360 would buy the game if it supported traditional controls?  :|  I didn't. You made it up.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2010, 07:15:43 am »
Yeah, of course not

So why did you expect Phantom Dust to sell 24 million copies ?. And was Phantom Dust a RPG, a 3D shooter like PanzerDragoon ?I don't think it was, even though it was made by the Director of Panzer Dragoon

When did I say every user that buys a 360 would buy the game

I never said you did.

Again, design choices or games are not what I was talking about at a

????
You totally miss my points, even when I make them as simple as possible. Its circles.

I haven't missed the point at all . It was rather silly to bring Phantom Dust into a Motion controlled debate, much less expect it to sell to every X-Box owner out there, even Pal users (where the game never came out)

That was the point
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
I'm really surprised to see that not just one, but two members of Segabits bought a Move. @_@ I didn't expect that.

How many people will be picking up the Kinect? Just Barry?

Offline SOUP

« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »
$50 wasn't too much of an investment, so it wasn't a big deal.

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2010, 03:47:32 pm »
Yeah just Barry.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2010, 05:06:46 pm »
Having played Move myself, I can say I'm tempted to get one too (on the condition that some more good games come out that use it). The Responsiveness of the controls is really a league apart from Wii, and there is potential for some great games.

As for Kinect, from what I've seen of that I'm kinda interested too. Again it's going to depend on the games that get released, but it certainly has potential for some really cool stuff.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2010, 05:22:30 pm »
I'll admit I got on the pre-order wagon way before some of the more tempting titles were announced (Draco, Free Riders, Rise of Nightmares, that one with baseballs and mascots and flames and shit) mostly because I had an excess of cash and really wanted to get in on the tech early. But I can see more folks here getting the device early 2011. I just really like the uniqueness of Kinect, plus I already have a 360 so no need to buy a new console. :) Move looks good too, however I'm just not up for another HD console yet. Perhaps late 2011 I'll get a PS3 and Move, but right now I'm interested in what Kinect has to offer.

Offline George

« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2010, 06:41:54 pm »
Yeah, of course not

So why did you expect Phantom Dust to sell 24 million copies ?. And was Phantom Dust a RPG, a 3D shooter like PanzerDragoon ?I don't think it was, even though it was made by the Director of Panzer Dragoon
What are you on about? Did you not read my last post? I never said I expected it to sell 24 million copies and I never said it was a 3D shooter.  Ever. All I said they are both niche games and the bigger the fanbase the more customers.  
When did I say every user that buys a 360 would buy the game

I never said you did.
Really? YOU SAY IT AGAIN RIGHT AFTER TYPING THIS!

You totally miss my points, even when I make them as simple as possible. Its circles.

I haven't missed the point at all . It was rather silly to bring Phantom Dust into a Motion controlled debate, much less expect it to sell to every X-Box owner out there, even Pal users (where the game never came out)

That was the point
You are basically making the same point I did. I said, if you actually read what I put and not made stuff up, that Phantom Dust on Xbox was a failure, due to many factors. One being that it was a niche Japanese game on a American platform. Then you take the fact it was not release to all potential buyers, aka PAL people.

Now you have his second title with Microsoft, that will get the same treatment. It will be released world wide, but will be cut down to just Kinect users, when it could have more potential buyers by supporting both motion controls and traditional controls. How hard is this for you to understand? Do you not know what potential means?

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2010, 01:48:10 am »
I never said I expected it to sell 24 million copies and I never said it was a 3D shooter

Right so why even bring up PD ?. Completely different game on a totally different system , with a totally different control interface

Really? YOU SAY IT AGAIN RIGHT AFTER TYPING THIS

Yes,because I was on about the X-Box, not the 360.
Is that clear enough ?.

that Phantom Dust on Xbox was a failure, due to many factors. One being that it was a niche Japanese game on a American platform

There are plenty of Japanese developed Niche games that are flops on Japanese consoles.I see that Masaya Matsuura is working on a New Natal game. Didn't see the likes of Mojib-Ribbon brought in to it, even though it was a Japanese developed game on a Japanese system , very niche and very much a completely flop , and there plenty more to add to the list.

So I just really can't understand the need to bring PD into it (just seem like a pointless dig)  . Its a completely different game, and unlike the X-Box, the 360 has far better support in Japan, and dare I say found its Niche. Cave shooters sell very well on the system, and the 360 is the choice system for Japanese shooters, totally different scenario to that of the X-Box in Japan.

I think the 360 market compared to the X-Box market is much border and very much different
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline George

« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2010, 04:03:34 am »
Alright. I'm done. You win the argument. It is not worth telling you the obvious because you change the subject.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2010, 10:00:08 am »
Yeah, the truth is that neither Kinect or Move have any real proven killer apps coming out in the near future, so it's mostly a crapshoot at this point.