Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88704 times)

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Motion Control Wars
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2010, 03:53:13 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
@Fluffymoochicken:
Your avatar reminds me of Tiny Toons Adventures for some reason
xD

His name is Schnuffel. He's a singing bunny from Germany. He has three albums out so far, including one holiday-themed album (no Christmas songs that North Americans would recognize however).

[youtube:3l0gad5k]To2cjH6A8DA[/youtube:3l0gad5k]

And now you know! =D

So anyway, Barry, do that front page video. :3
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #256 on: November 02, 2010, 04:57:45 pm »
I hate that hare. Annoying as balls.
SEG4GES

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #257 on: November 02, 2010, 05:12:23 pm »
He's so cuuuuuute, and his songs are wonderful. ^___^ I listen to them all the time.

...but seriously, let's not turn this into Schnuffel talk. xD We could take that to the music thread instead.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2010, 05:14:06 pm »
Isn't that "Christmas Tree" song German originally?

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #259 on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:11 pm »
Yes.... "O Tanenbaum". Now let's get on topic. xD

I can't wait to watch footage of "real" players using Kinect. It won't be long now... ^__^

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #260 on: November 02, 2010, 08:50:56 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
I can't wait to watch footage of "real" players using Kinect. It won't be long now

Jeff "I'm Out Of Shape" Gerstman did a video. He was dripping bullets. Comedy gold.

Quote from: "crackdude"
I hate that hare. Annoying as balls.

Shocked Fluffy did not mention anything about liking hairy balls in reply to this comment.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17:32 am »
comments based on reading the Free Riders thread:

Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Quote from: "max_cady"
It's probably the best of the bunch, but between a pet simulator, a dancing game and a few mini-game compilations, Sonic Free Riders is the closest thing the Kinect has to an actual game.

I am not sure why people keep saying stuff like this. Almost every game being launched with the platform is based around scoring points, how is that not a game then? More than half of the games are more 'laid back' than we would expect HD killer-aps, but the content is there for basically every game announced.

Agreeing with Sanus on this one (GASP!). From the hour long Gamespot preview, I found that nearly every Kinect title DOES have a scoring system and features the ability to compete with other players. Even "Your Shape: Fitness Evolved" has a competitive mode that scores players. Thus they are all actual games.

However the quality of said games remains to be seen.

Still, I don't think it's fair to call a majority of the Kinect titles frivolous tech demos with no reward or incentive to play. Dance Central scores players and unlocks songs as a reward just as Samba de Amigo does. Kinectimals features a ongoing narrative of exploring an island, and rewards players with new creatures and items just as Viva Pinata does. Kinect Adventures features a mission based adventure mode (think Mission: Impossible) where you and a second player fly about the globe completing tasks, receiving scores and then they air drop a crate containing a reward. Not amazing or groundbreaking, but it sure beats segmented mini-games that bump you back to a select menu after one game.

Tomorrow will be a day filled with some very interesting reads! Looking forward to reading reviews, good or bad.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2010, 07:12:16 am »
Today's the day! I can't wait to see some footage being posted. ^__^

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2010, 09:42:12 am »
Upon reading many reviews, it looks like Dance Central, Kinect Sports and Sonic Free Riders are the best games out.

As I suspected, too many of the titles went too simplistic with their concept. For example, Joy Ride looks enjoyable, but they really could have gone deeper with the customization. Since avatars are so customizable, why not carry that over to the vehicles? Imagine B-K Nuts & Bolts levels of customization combined with racing and combat. Add in a track editor and you've got quite an awesome concept for a kinect game.

Adrenalin Misfits looks like an alpha version of Free Riders. Very little interactivity aside from leaning, slow speeds and a missed opportunity at using a recognizable Konami IP.

The rest are lesser versions of Kinect Sports, Dance Central and
Your Shape Fitness Evolved (which are the best of the genres thus far).

Though its good to see the hardware is receiving positive reviews. It seems that your liking of the hardware depends on how well you set it up and how willing you are to move about. I saw a few videos where the dudes stood too close and made half-assed movements, of course you'll run into problems if you do two things that the manual advises against.

While I have read two mediocre to negative reviews for Free Riders, I really have to question if "steep learning curve", "not casual friendly" and "exhausting" are bad things (the major reasons for the poor scores). I'd actually prefer a Kinect game that I'd have to master rather than a racer like Joy Ride that basically hands you first place (check out the first timers smoking the competition in Joy Ride preview videos). Marking a game down for being "exhausting" is something I think quite a bit of Kinect games will have to get used to. How are readers to know if the writer is in fact a 5'7" 250 lb dude who hates working out? Some people hate working out, and in turn I think we'll be seeing game scores suffer as such, which really is a shame and says a lot about society nowadays.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2010, 02:44:31 pm »
Just saw Kinects on sale at the store. The box is a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be. @_@ They hadn't sold one yet, but then again, I am living in Small Town Alabama.

As I suspected, too many of the titles went too simplistic with their concept. For example, Joy Ride looks enjoyable, but they really could have gone deeper with the customization. Since avatars are so customizable, why not carry that over to the vehicles? Imagine B-K Nuts & Bolts levels of customization combined with racing and combat. Add in a track editor and you've got quite an awesome concept for a kinect game.
Because the whole point of casual shovelware is to make as big a profit margin as possible by spending as little money as they can on development. :P

Marking a game down for being "exhausting" is something I think quite a bit of Kinect games will have to get used to. How are readers to know if the writer is in fact a 5'7" 250 lb dude who hates working out? Some people hate working out, and in turn I think we'll be seeing game scores suffer as such, which really is a shame and says a lot about society nowadays.
I don't know. You could always make a video of yourself playing Free Riders for a while, and we'll be able to see how exhausted you are at the end of it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »
At the end of the day enjoying 'working out' is just another factor of the reviewer and their opinion, it's impossible to remove that aspect entirely. As for not being casual friendly, I wouldn't mind that either, but I just hope it's not due to a steep/unfair learning curve or something. Either way, sounds like it's shaping up fairly well.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2010, 02:57:47 pm »
This article sheds hope on how new trends will cure the console space of the casual infestation:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/StevePet ... alypse.php

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
At the end of the day enjoying 'working out' is just another factor of the reviewer and their opinion, it's impossible to remove that aspect entirely. As for not being casual friendly, I wouldn't mind that either, but I just hope it's not due to a steep/unfair learning curve or something. Either way, sounds like it's shaping up fairly well.

From what I've heard/read, those who played the game said that there are a lot of actions going on. The leaning, kicking to boost, different item actions and jumping all within one lap of a race. If the intensity is akin to Samba de Amigo's hard mode/super hard mode, where it seems hectic and fast but is it completely doable if you "get" how to keep up, then I'm in. However cheap enemy a.i. and cheap track tricks would not be so hot.

Still... Hang-On bike is in the game...

Oh yeah, speaking of Samba de Amigo, I found my receipt for the maracas from way back when. $120 for the game and controller, plus I dropped another $40 later on importing Ver. 2000.  :lol: $160 to play one game!? Oh SEGA... (how I love thee)

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2010, 03:41:15 pm »
A steep learning curve in a Sonic Riders game? Naw, that's silly talk...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #269 on: November 04, 2010, 03:51:02 pm »
Per OXM's review: Free Riders foregoes casual fare in favor of tough-minded challenge with glimmers of promising depth. http://www.oxmonline.com/article/review ... ree-riders