Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88691 times)

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Motion Control Wars
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2010, 07:06:40 pm »
*watching more footage*

You know, I thought that Nuckles said that Kinect's input lag was gone. Was he just making things up?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »
I'm pointing out that what you see at local stores cannot speak for sales elsewhere, such as online sales as detailed in that link. I don't doubt that you can still find sensors at local stores, though if the marketing machine continues to do what it's doing, the sensors seen in store won't be there come the end of November. Same goes for Move.

Like Mademan mentioned, the gaming industry needs a shot in the arm. I'm hoping Move and Kinect help in pushing tons of console bundles this holiday season. Remember, we're dealing with 4-5 year old pieces of equipment. So it's good to see that motion control add-ons are assisting in pushing consoles on those who have yet to turn to the HD side.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2010, 07:29:28 pm »
Motion control isn't the shot in the arm I'm looking for, especially when it involves laggy cameras that weren't designed with the convenience of furnished rooms in mind. xD

Even so, I want to see you look like this guy. ^__^

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2010, 10:36:58 pm »
The game industry needs a big ass crunch back to a smaller more dedicated audience with games made by veteran artists for hardcore fans.

Kinect and Move are there just to add to the saturation of crap on top of the trendy explosion of gaming everywhere from iphone, facebook, to set-top boxes.

I have no problem being wrong but it is my intuition all this run away saturation is taking the game industry to a big fall.  Can't wait.

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »
Microsoft is doing it wrong. I know they saw Wii be put in women's clothing with Wii Fit and sell. But do not, i mean, do not put a 150 dollar add on, by itself, next to the cash register's with gum and magazines. No one is going to say 'some 50 cent gum and... ooooh 150 dollar Kinect'  .

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »
This chart cracks me up:

:lol:

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »
Pre-sales of Kinect in Australia have been doing very nicely, it looks like Microsoft may have a success on their hands.

I'm not sure why everyone is so against this, new technology has to start somewhere. Kinect isn't as accurate as traditional controls, but guess what: When you buy a Kinect bundle it comes with a traditional controller too!

Basically it's just new piece of tech that can open up some new avenues for video games. Did you all hate the Sega Saturn because it featured 3D graphics? Did you all hate the Dreamcast because it had an analogue stick and only FOUR Buttons instead of SIX? Talk about Casual!

As for Stylista's reasoning, yes the industry would benefit from some downsizing, but you seem to have things backwards. You realise that it's games like Vanquish that will be first on the chopping block whenit comes to 'downsizing'. Look at the abysmal sales of Vanquish compared to Call of Duty's runaway success, which series do you think will survive when the industry starts declining?

I'm not saying you have to like Kinect, I'm not going to be buying one either(I may pick one up eventually if some cool games come along), but I just find it strange that everyone seems so down on the thing. It's not stealing away from our traditional games at all.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2010, 08:27:38 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Pre-sales of Kinect in Australia have been doing very nicely, it looks like Microsoft may have a success on their hands.
That all depends on how you qualify success. If success means "selling millions of units", then yes, it is possible it will be a success.

On the other hand, if success means "making a profit", then I have my doubts as to whether that will ever happen. With the several billions of dollars that Microsoft has poured into research, development, and advertising of the Kinect, it's hardly any wonder that even Steve Ballmer is selling off his Microsoft stock right about now.

I just find it strange that everyone seems so down on the thing. It's not stealing away from our traditional games at all.
It's a nice concept, the only problem is that the technology just isn't quite there yet. There's still lots of problems with lag, motion recognition, and the fact that people need 8-10 feet of room to (comfortably) use it.

I know that forum users have endlessly compared the Kinect to the 32X, but it's really more like the SEGA CD. The CD technology was also neat, but it all just wasn't quite there in 1991, either.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #293 on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:14 am »
I don't recall the Sega CD making me look like an idiot flailing my arms around the place breaking shit.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2010, 12:12:09 pm »
As for Stylista's reasoning, yes the industry would benefit from some downsizing, but you seem to have things backwards. You realise that it's games like Vanquish that will be first on the chopping block whenit comes to 'downsizing'. Look at the abysmal sales of Vanquish compared to Call of Duty's runaway success, which series do you think will survive when the industry starts declining?

You need to extend my reasoning a bit father. Vanquish is what I would call a dedicated gamer's game, CoD get's most of its sales from the mainstream.  If there was a sharp decline in mainstream participation of gaming then CoD type games with huge budgets would be the victims.  I think Vanquish type games that have much smaller budgets than CoD and are 'purer' games would start to get more hype amongst the more dedicated gaming audience of the future.  The industry needs a return to game play being the star over over-hyped franchises.  Innovation is being far out-stripped by sequels and as this gen goes long the gaming audiences are beginning to tire.  Gaming exploding everywhere from iphone, facebook to set-top boxes will lead to an over-saturation and eventual decline in mainstream interest in gaming.

Another thing to consider, Madman, is that if you killed the Bayonetta and Vanquish games this industry would drop like a rock within a year from lack of innovation and would lead to a tanking of dominant mainstream genres like fps.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2010, 01:28:29 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
That all depends on how you qualify success. If success means "selling millions of units", then yes, it is possible it will be a success.

On the other hand, if success means "making a profit", then I have my doubts as to whether that will ever happen. With the several billions of dollars that Microsoft has poured into research, development, and advertising of the Kinect, it's hardly any wonder that even Steve Ballmer is selling off his Microsoft stock right about now.

I just find it strange that everyone seems so down on the thing. It's not stealing away from our traditional games at all.
It's a nice concept, the only problem is that the technology just isn't quite there yet. There's still lots of problems with lag, motion recognition, and the fact that people need 8-10 feet of room to (comfortably) use it.

I know that forum users have endlessly compared the Kinect to the 32X, but it's really more like the SEGA CD. The CD technology was also neat, but it all just wasn't quite there in 1991, either.

I can't comment on if it's going to make profits or not, obviously I have no idea how much it cost and how much they plan to sell. I'm just saying it's possible this concept might take off.

As for it not being quite there yet, I agree that it's not perfect, but it might just be enough for some really fun games and cool ideas. I'm just thinking we shold wait and see how it turns out at least.

Sega Stylista: I'm not going to argue with you, this always ends up going in circles. I personally don't see the hardcore gaming scene being hurt by Kinect.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #296 on: November 07, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »
Sega Stylista: I'm not going to argue with you, this always ends up going in circles. I personally don't see the hardcore gaming scene being hurt by Kinect.

Okay, but I never said Kinect would hurt hardcore games sales?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #297 on: November 07, 2010, 04:19:03 pm »
http://news.punchjump.com/blog/2010/11/ ... game-sale/

Sonic Free Riders and a half-priced Kinectimals is looking tempting...

If I can name a tiger "Seaman", I'm sold.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2010, 05:36:37 pm »
IDEA: SEGA SHOULD MAKE S3AMAN FOR THE KINECT AND PSMOVE.

I'd but it. Hardcore style.
SEG4GES

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:26 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
I'd but it. Hardcore style.
^__^