Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88662 times)

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Motion Control Wars
« Reply #315 on: November 23, 2010, 07:10:07 am »
I think that might be because Sony is hoping to actually make a profit off of their product instead of digging themselves into a deep hole right off the bat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #316 on: November 23, 2010, 10:41:23 am »
Kinect is "New" technology for games when Move is literally just Wii stuff again. After about a year passes, the wow factor will be gone and everyone will hate it like they do Wii.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #317 on: November 23, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Kinect is "New" technology for games when Move is literally just Wii stuff again. After about a year passes, the wow factor will be gone and everyone will hate it like they do Wii.

The same will most likely occur to Kinect.

Although it's up in the air for America, it's not really having any sort of effect in the rest of the world. Minus probably the UK, although Kinect titles are already falling down the charts.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #318 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:50 am »
Quote from: "Aki-at"

The same will most likely occur to Kinect.

Actually my comment for that was aimed at Kinect more than Move. Move I think will never become any kind of phenomenon and be more of an optional addition to games in the future, which I honestly like the sound of.

Quote from: "Aki-at"
Although it's up in the air for America, it's not really having any sort of effect in the rest of the world. Minus probably the UK, although Kinect titles are already falling down the charts.

I heard Microsoft cannot make the units fast enough, but I somehow doubt it. The market is kind of flooded with similar games right now, so once the better games come in, I think more people will be interested. I am certain Microsoft will not reach their expected sales on Kinect for the rest of the year though.

I am really interested in seeing American sales for Black Friday for both companies.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #319 on: November 23, 2010, 12:06:58 pm »
I heard Microsoft cannot make the units fast enough, but I somehow doubt it. The market is kind of flooded with similar games right now, so once the better games come in, I think more people will be interested. I am certain Microsoft will not reach their expected sales on Kinect for the rest of the year though.

I am really interested in seeing American sales for Black Friday for both companies.

I doubt Microsoft, at this point in time, cannot make the amount of units required, it's just their to create artificial demand. As for better games coming, they'll arrive eventually yes, but I doubt they will return any meaningful sum to the investment and thus put developers off making for the platform and this cycle will continue.

Really Microsoft needs to make titles that will create demand for their add-on, or else a lame duck it will soon become.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #320 on: November 23, 2010, 03:51:14 pm »
Move is to Wii what Kinect is to Eyetoy.

New technology that uses the concept of the other. Basically Wii didn't have 3D motion tracking on wiimote, Move does and Eyetoy didn't have 3D/full body tracking and Kinect does.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #321 on: November 24, 2010, 09:54:15 am »
You really need to stop comparing Kinect to EyeToy... It is entirely different hardware. It is more than just 3D tracking, even just that makes a massive difference from what a basic camera did for games.

It is fair to compare Wii and Move for aesthetic reasons, but also because Wii MotionPlus is basically entirely the same thing.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #322 on: November 24, 2010, 10:16:08 am »
Who gives a shit how Kinect and Eyetoy are different in hardware. Both make you flail your arms around like an idiot with no controller.

Same for Move/Wiimote, except with a controller.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #323 on: November 24, 2010, 03:46:00 pm »
You have no issue comparing the Move to Wii, its also different hardware. It uses a camera to track in 3D space.

Kinect is a camera, so is Eyetoy. Thus aesthetic reasons are the same. But no... right?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #324 on: November 25, 2010, 01:52:34 am »
The Fax Machine is nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached!

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #325 on: November 26, 2010, 12:59:23 pm »
Quote from: "George"
You have no issue comparing the Move to Wii, its also different hardware. It uses a camera to track in 3D space.

Kinect is a camera, so is Eyetoy. Thus aesthetic reasons are the same. But no... right?

The camera is there only to make Move more accurate, Wii has the sensor bar for that. Overall it is extremely similar. Even button placement and shapes are very similar...

Kinect is not just a camera. Even basic things like how the sensor bar actually tilts to view different portions of a room make a huge difference, let alone an obviously much larger focus on voice tech and even just colors the person is wearing or showing to the device.

Put it this way. Wii MotionPlus games are coming to the PlayStation 3 now, but not Kinect. PlayStation Eye games can come to Kinect, but because of how different the hardware is the games would play completely different, requiring completely different design.

It is just not the same thing.

Offline George

« Reply #326 on: November 27, 2010, 07:01:15 am »
Anyway,

Here is a interview with the guy behind Eyetoy. Basically says they didn't do Kinect tech because when they pitched it to devs they where all 'tired' of the Eyetoy and wanted something that incoparated the eyetoy with a controller to move around.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... -interview

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2011, 07:33:04 am »
Mademan, we need to fuck around with this when it comes out:
http://kotaku.com/5724149/what-is-avata ... e=true&s=i

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:52 am »
I haven't been following this thread but it sounds like it has something to do with waste production (shit).

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #329 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:25 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
I haven't been following this thread but it sounds like it has something to do with waste production (shit).

EDIT: read this again and it reads pretty harshly.

Still, perhaps you didn't need to post something that doesn't add to the discussion?