Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88902 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Microsoft's E3 Press conference.
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2010, 07:58:45 am »
The only Kinect game I thought looked completely horrible was Kinectimals, and that is only because it does not look like there is much to it, the trailer released separately largely had the same stuff shown at the conference even. The only other one that had a bad presentation was Kinect Sports, but there is tons more to it that we did not see, so it is not really fair to assume, I think Rare can deliver, probably. The conference was just boring and did not hit any specific fanbase while trying to market something to everyone, comparing it to Nintendo's 08 or Sony's 06 is a bit strange. Nothing went 'wrong' outside of that guy having to get his microphone replaced, and the only laughable thing was the girls chatting about achievements, and even that could never be compared to something like Raffi.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2010, 08:12:39 am »
^Good assessment.

I'll admit, I was bored at times, mostly due to certain games not appealing to me. Then again, a pet sim designed for kids aged 10 and under is not supposed to appeal to me. However, I do see a good amount of potential in Kinect, especially in games like Child of Eden. It's just a shame that they spent so much time on the family "games" and didn't include a few demos of true games (such as Fable III's support or the Star Wars game). I was really hoping to see Sonic Free Riders. It may not be the best game ever, but it would probably wipe the floor with all the Wii-like games that they showed off.

I think it's rather pathetic that the internet has become a place of folks awaiting the next "EPIC FAIL LULZ". Minutes after the press conference, I was seeing countless attempts at people trying to cull memes from the MS show. Stupid gifs and motivational posters that were less funny and more "why the fuck did you waste time making that?". In a years time, I doubt anybody will be quoting this show like they are still quoting Sony's 06 show or making videos of Nintendo's awkward Wii band.

It wasn't a FAIL and it wasn't a WIN, it was simply a press conference that showed off some unique tech that has much more potential than the games demoed.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2010, 08:22:46 am »
I agree. I already cannot think of anything laughably memorable from this conference. Though I skipped the ESPN stuff I doubt they did anything stupid.

Also I noticed when I was downloading the new Castlevania XBLA trailer (Looks awful) that Fable III and Halo Reach have a new green bar extremely similar to the Kinect ones, they were not like this yesterday... Confirmed support of Kinect in Reach? O.O

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2010, 09:37:00 am »
I must confess.

I am pretty interested in that dancing game.
And ea sports active.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2010, 10:57:14 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Though I skipped the ESPN stuff I doubt they did anything stupid.

ESPN guys were actually the most natural speakers on stage, I actually believed their scripted banter. Must be the years of TV experience.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2010, 11:01:54 am »
I agree with Barry on the press conference not being a fail.
Now stop defending Portugal's shots Barry.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2010, 11:05:52 am »
Thanks! And I promise to stop defending Portugal's shots.

Speaking of fails, Nintendo's press conference is on!

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2010, 11:37:41 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Thanks! And I promise to stop defending Portugal's shots.

Speaking of fails, Nintendo's press conference is on!

Is it?

They potentially have a really good line-up.

Offline Autosaver

Apparently, Microsoft use pre-recorded Kinect footage
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2010, 12:24:53 pm »

Games don't act before you put inputs.

Offline Monkeroony

Re: Apparently, Microsoft use pre-recorded Kinect footage
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2010, 12:34:37 pm »
I think 1UP said that the Star Wars game was made with target renders.

Everything else happened 1 second after people moved though on the other demos!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2010, 12:34:58 pm »
Old news, already said in previous threads. It was a stage show, not a tech demo. It was pretty much assured that they wouldn't hedge their bets on every Kinect to work flawlessly in a circus show. The real tech demo occurred the following day.

At yesterday's press conference, with the exception of the ESPN announcers, all of the gameplay looked legit. Especially the workout, adventures, dancing and startup menu controls.

I'd lock this, but then I'd be labeled a 360 fanboy so I'm keeping it open.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:40 pm »
I do not see why all the 360 fanboys are so defensive about Kinect. Its shitty, Microsoft is afraid to show it and have not answered all my questions about it.

Does it work in the dark? What happen to scanning objects? Why do avatars jump in the raft game even when people where not jumping? Price?

Also the Forza stuff was fake:
http://www.thegamejournal.com/home/micr ... rrors.html

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2010, 12:40:10 pm »
The real question is: does the 3DS work underwater?

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:22 pm »
Did Nintendo state it would work underwater?  In their E3 conference, Microsoft stated "You can now watch movies, pause them and not have to look for your controller in the dark"

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2010, 12:42:53 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
<snip>

It wasn't a FAIL and it wasn't a WIN, it was simply a press conference that showed off some unique tech that has much more potential than the games demoed.

I think it was a fail, not from the meme bullshit standpoint, but from the video games perspective. And by video games, I mean all of them, from hardcore to casual. All the Kinect titles shown were clones of things you can already do on the Wii (even on PS3 if you take EyePet into account). If the casual gamers already have that on the Wii why would they want a 360? Worse, they probably don't even know about E3!

The demo of their biggest game of this year lasted less than the one for the new old COD. I mean, if you're wasting the press conference with Kinect, the least you can do is talk a bit more about what's probably your most important game of the generation.

They ruined everything early in the conference by saying that from that point on every game mentioned would be an exclusive. There were no new "hardcore" games. None! Live Arcade called and Microsoft didn't pick up the phone. The Kinect games are clones. New stuff? Maybe a thing or two, but nothing out of the ordinary. People would think higher of Microsoft if they had The Miz demo Child of Eden instead of that Fitness Evolved Ubisoft Bullshit.

And don't even get me started on the bribe. Seriously, Microsoft really dropped the ball this year.