Author Topic: Motion Control Wars  (Read 88899 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Apparently, Microsoft use pre-recorded Kinect footage
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »
Well, Kinect uses infrared so some of its functions will work in the dark. Also, voice commands work in the dark. Give it a try, turn off the lights and talk. See?

However, games that rely on the camera (i.e. taking photos and referencing imagery in your environment) will not, for obvious reasons. (hint: you can't see in the dark)

In summary:

Infra red allows Kinect to see your shape in the dark.

Voice commands work in the dark.

Standard video does not work in the dark.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Microsoft's E3 Press conference.
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 12:47:56 pm »
Barry can like the conference if he wants to, but people can dislike it as well. I'm part of the dislike. It was boring and no core games announced for Kinect. Microsoft tried to copy the stereotype of the Wii and that is no good.

No price announced either. That is never good. At least in 2006, Sony showed some actual games, even if it had Ridge Racer on it and not some fake footage of a girl playing with a tiger.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Apparently, Microsoft use pre-recorded Kinect footage
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »
The 3DS DOES work underwater.

You just need a water proof case. ^_^

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2010, 01:23:20 pm »
Worst E3 showing by MS , Kinect is utter sh8t .  What a huge waste of money
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »
ONLY MICROSOFT FANBOYS DEFEND KINECT, NOT POSSIBLE FOR ANYONE ELSE TO LIKE IT EVER EVER

George, you are just overreacting about everything. I will go and say I think Barry is overreacting about everything too. When you talk about nothing BUT the God damn thing you hate, you are both just making it seem like you are jealous of the attention the other platform is getting. It is pathetic.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2010, 05:25:08 pm »
I'm just dissapointed that all the games we saw, we already knew about from a long long time ago. Compare this to last year when we saw CrackDown 2, first gameplay of Alan Wake, first ever trailer for the new Splinter Cell and much more, it just pales horribly.

Couldn't they even just make a nice CGI trailer for Mass Effect 3 or something? Even if it's a long way off.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:28 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
ONLY MICROSOFT FANBOYS DEFEND KINECT, NOT POSSIBLE FOR ANYONE ELSE TO LIKE IT EVER EVER

George, you are just overreacting about everything. I will go and say I think Barry is overreacting about everything too. When you talk about nothing BUT the God damn thing you hate, you are both just making it seem like you are jealous of the attention the other platform is getting. It is pathetic.
I'm the one overacting? I never called anyone a fanboy and typed in capitals.

I just came to the topic, put my thoughts on the conference. It was shit. You are in the minority and I respect your opinion. That is why your going to be in the post E3 podcast. Then it would just be me and Sharky bashing the conference.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2010, 08:41:38 pm »

I've got the looks.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »
It's gotta suck to be a Microsoft fanboy right now. Even Nintendo had a more respectable press conference this year. That's downright embarrassing. :lol: Kudos to Microsoft.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
Quote from: "George"
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

I'm the one overacting? I never called anyone a fanboy and typed in capitals.

I just came to the topic, put my thoughts on the conference. It was shit. You are in the minority and I respect your opinion. That is why your going to be in the post E3 podcast. Then it would just be me and Sharky bashing the conference.

You were always in the hate group, never were going to give it a chance, I mean you compared Kinect Adventures to Wii Play. They have nothing similar about them at all, they do not even share basic stuff, like coins... Or water.

You're my good Skittles. ;)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2010, 09:46:14 am »
I was at a baseball game yesterday and I found myself talking to three other guys about E3. Kinectimals came up (I swear I didn't bring it up) and all three we're positive about it. I forget sometimes that outside the hardcore internet chat rooms, there is a lot of consumers out there who aren't so extreme in their views. Probably because they don't live and breathe video games.

Anywho, as all the press conferences have concluded, here are a few of my views on Kinect:

As the next console for a Wii owner:
For Wii owners who have yet to get an HD console, I see Kinect as a good option. Not as a replacement, but rather as an addition. I can see a Wii owner comfortably having both a Wii and Kinect attached ot the same TV. Outside of the Kinect, no other accessory is needed, so the gaming space won't be cluttered with both Wii and 360 controllers. You'd get all the Wii exclusives along with all the 360 exclusives. Not too shabby. Offerings like Kinect Adventures and Kinectimals are similar yet different enough from the Wii party games to give something new but familiar. Sonic Free Riders could potentially wrangle in Sonic Wii fanboys who need to get their Riders fix.

As an accessory for current 360 owners:
Some 360 owners aren't convinced, but I don't blame them. The 360 press show didn't do a lot to sell Kinect to folks who aren't looking for a full body Wii. However, games like Child of Eden, Star Wars, Milo and Forza could change a lot of minds if positive impressions and demos appear in the coming months.

Kinect pricing:
This is the big one. I think MS was smart to hold off on a price until the Move was detailed. Should the Kinect be priced at $100 and games at $35-$40, Move will have some serious competition. MS could then play up the fact that 4 player Move support costs $360 while 4+ player Kinect support in one price with no additional accessories and is equal to the cost of the Move combo pack. Also, offering all the Kinect launch titles as Marketplace demos would be very nice. Even if a game isn't offered in a bundle, buyers will have a good amount of demos to play so that they can choose which Kinect games are right for them.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2010, 10:23:56 am »
If Kinect was priced around $100 and had all of the games designed around it cheaper than normal releases then I see no reason to argue with any of this anymore, it all just seems perfectly fine.

Though if it is at the price of $150 and the games are $60, I can hear my wallet crying right now. That would be an absolute disaster, and I do not see how Kinect would be able to take off for more than $100.

Kinectimals looks to be the worst game of the lot though, I think. Just does not seem like there can be much to it. Even the trailer revealed showed basically the same stuff we saw at the demonstration.

What everyone is whining about, saying their showing was a failure is that there were no real 'core' games for Kinect shown off. Why would people like me, who love games like Lost Odyssey, Halo 3, Bayonetta, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Mass Effect give a shit about Kinect Sports? This is Kinect's only real fault (outside of what might be pricing issues). If the price point is not there then I do not see how this could really take off. Why buy a console that does not have the kind of games you want then buy an add-on for it just to play different kinds of games?

To make matters worse, I just think it all goes up against what the Xbox 360 really is. How will this stuff work with achievements? How will it work with online functions? The games revealed do not mention anything about it, though a video for Kinect Sports shows you can add friends to games you play.

Also, Final Fantasy Versus XIII which looks to be a completely awful game regardless was announced for the Xbox 360 the other day, no idea why this was not even mentioned at Microsoft's showing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2010, 04:12:25 pm »
What everyone is whining about, saying their showing was a failure is that there were no real 'core' games for Kinect shown off.

What about the Forza Game? Star Wars is arguable as well.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2010, 04:55:13 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
What everyone is whining about, saying their showing was a failure is that there were no real 'core' games for Kinect shown off.

What about the Forza Game? Star Wars is arguable as well.

Well, I would also consider Dance Central a bit of a 'core' game, but what I really meant to say was that there was nothing they really showed off that people could already call would be game of the year. I mean, ever platform that ever launched always shows off at least one game that every kind of gamer would at least be slightly interested in, Move was pretty weak with this too, but it supports some older games that people enjoy, like Resident Evil 5, Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2010, 05:10:36 pm »
The problem with everything is that gaming is dead.

The whole presentation for me gamer resumed to some new generic FPS. That sucked.

This sucks. That's why it was a failure.
SEG4GES