Author Topic: Seriously, how do you compare the art of. . .  (Read 9633 times)

Offline Sega Stylista

• Total Meseta: 0
Seriously, how do you compare the art of. . .
« on: June 16, 2010, 12:24:54 am »
This. . .

With this shit. . .

???????
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Seriously, how do you compare the art of. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:41:21 am »
Do you know what art is? Obviously not...

"art /'ɑːʳt/

Synonyms:
noun: craft, skill, science, workmanship, knack

arts plural;
Art consists of paintings, sculpture, and other pictures or objects which are created for people to look at and admire or think deeply about. Noun (uncountable)
...the first exhibition of such art in the West.
...contemporary and modern American art.
...Whitechapel Art Gallery.
Art is the activity or educational subject that consists of creating paintings, sculptures, and other pictures or objects for people to look at and admire or think deeply about. Noun (uncountable)"

None of the games you posted do this. They are purely for entertainment and that is fine too.

Art=/=Good game

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:15:52 am »
Err, why not tell us why you can't compare those.

Take a look at this screen from Gears of War:

The muted colour pallette is done of purpose to show the bleak state of mankind and the planet. If you look at all the detail and intricate design of the architecture, you can see that it once was very prosperous and cared for, and has fallen into disuse and ruin. The plants are overgrowing and crumbling the buildings. It's a perfect piece of design for a game where mankind is on the brink of annihilation, and there seems to be no hope.

Gears of War is full of stuff like this (this was just a random pic from a google image search), maybe you just never paid much attention to it. Why can this not be compared to something like Vanquish?

I could say the same for Halo, there is a brilliant contrast between the mechanical and metallic designs that are typical of UNSC forces (things like Warthogs, Scorpion Tanks etc), the organic and sleek designs of the Covenent forces and the downright creepy and savage Flood forces.

This extends from the vehicles through to architecture (playing in a UNSC Base is so different to playing inside a covenant ship, and nothing at all like playing through an area destroyed by the Flood) and even the armor and character designs. Not to mention the weapons!

Take a look at the Covenant Prophets, and their honor guard, the costumes they wear are really impressive and just ooze that regal nature whilst still looking alien and distinctly covenant.

So again, why is this not good enough to compare to Vanquish? Please tell me, because I don't see why Gears or Halo are in any way inferior in terms of their art direction and design.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:35 am »
Better yet, I would like to see you explain like how MadeMang did how Vanquish's art is as good or better than Gears of War or Halo games.

Creativity is not always better than smart design, I think Halo has both of these and Gears has just the latter (though I never beat Gears 2 yet, so I cannot fully be sure on this - Will comment on later).

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 01:23:03 pm »
Quote from: "George"
Do you know what art is? Obviously not...

"art /'ɑːʳt/

Synonyms:
noun: craft, skill, science, workmanship, knack

arts plural;
Art consists of paintings, sculpture, and other pictures or objects which are created for people to look at and admire or think deeply about. Noun (uncountable)
...the first exhibition of such art in the West.
...contemporary and modern American art.
...Whitechapel Art Gallery.
Art is the activity or educational subject that consists of creating paintings, sculptures, and other pictures or objects for people to look at and admire or think deeply about. Noun (uncountable)"

None of the games you posted do this. They are purely for entertainment and that is fine too.

Art=/=Good game

As someone that studied art at University level I am on the Roger Ebert side of the argument regarding Video games as art.
The only feeling games give is adrenaline, say what you want about flower, Heavy Rain (which would be shit as an arthouse film due to the terrible plot and acting) but they are just forms of entertainment.

Although, I studied photography so I still do believe that it is possible for games to transcend from entertainment to art, just as photography and film have.
just don't expect it to happen for many decades.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:18:26 pm »
This is the worst discussion ever. Games aren't art. Games have "art directions" which are subject to your own preferences. It's impossible to reach any conclusions out of a topic like this.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:31:21 pm »
Oh lets not get into an argument of what 'art' is. I don't really care.

And if pissing in a glass and placing it on a stool is 'Modern art' then fuck me if Shenmue and Grim Fandango aren't art as well.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:56:27 pm »
I was really afraid of making this post, as I know you are all going to call me a big freaking nerd, but...

Ecco the Dolphin is my favorite game of all time, not because I think it is the best overall, but because of what it means to me and how it has changed me.

Nothing else exists like it. Never before or after has any one thing, or place, or person given me such a strong and stirring reaction to all of my emotions, joy, sadness, trust, disgust, fear, anger, surprise, anticipation, love, confusion, panic, relaxation, zest, anything you could ever imagine, it has given to me. I can simply just stare at this game any point of my life and fall into a euphoric sensation that I can only really begin to compare with a romantic or even religious experience. It has changed the way I look at the medium and even the world as a whole, and to think for a second that it could be any less than art to me when compared to a single red dot on a piece of paper always can be, then I am not sure the people who claim to know art have any idea what art actually is.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I was really afraid of making this post, as I know you are all going to call me a big freaking nerd, but...

Ecco the Dolphin is my favorite game of all time, not because I think it is the best overall, but because of what it means to me and how it has changed me.

Nothing else exists like it. Never before or after has any one thing, or place, or person given me such a strong and stirring reaction to all of my emotions, joy, sadness, trust, disgust, fear, anger, surprise, anticipation, love, confusion, panic, relaxation, zest, anything you could ever imagine, it has given to me. I can simply just stare at this game any point of my life and fall into a euphoric sensation that I can only really begin to compare with a romantic or even religious experience. It has changed the way I look at the medium and even the world as a whole, and to think for a second that it could be any less than art to me when compared to a single red dot on a piece of paper always can be, then I am not sure the people who claim to know art have any idea what art actually is.

This is actually pretty much how I feel about the Ecco the Dolphin games. I absolutely love them!
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »
Oooooh...

In college I worked for the media center that checked out film equipment, so I borrowed the super expensive projector for the weekend.

Dreamcast Ecco on the ceiling, played while laying on your back. Awesome experience.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:50:02 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Oooooh...

In college I worked for the media center that checked out film equipment, so I borrowed the super expensive projector for the weekend.

Dreamcast Ecco on the ceiling, played while laying on your back. Awesome experience.

That is awesome. Defender of the Future is such an atmospheric game as it is, playing it like that would just make it even more of an experience.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 02:58:22 pm »
I... I really hate Defender of the Future and think it has largely ruined the series beyond repair, similar to something like Sonic 06, but not to such an extreme extent.

Talk about the Genesis games instead! Wheeeeeeee!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 03:19:23 pm »
I never understood Ecco. So yeah.
SEG4GES

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 04:59:58 pm »
I... I really hate Defender of the Future and think it has largely ruined the series beyond repair, similar to something like Sonic 06, but not to such an extreme extent.

It's my favorite game from the series followed closely by The Tides of Time. I love everything about it from the locations, the music and the story.
Unlimited Continues:

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 05:59:30 pm »
Quote from: "CosmicCastaway"

It's my favorite game from the series followed closely by The Tides of Time. I love everything about it from the locations, the music and the story.
Now there's something you won't hear anyone say about Sonic 06...
SEG4GES