Author Topic: Sega Saturn Heroes - Astal, Segata Sanshiro, Bug, Mr. Bones, etc  (Read 180042 times)

Offline Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
Re: Sega Saturn Heroes - Astal, Segata Sanshiro, Bug, Mr. Bones, etc
« Reply #720 on: October 10, 2024, 11:56:23 pm »
New Sega Rally Soundtrack Just Settled A Decades-Old Argument

"Heartbeat of the line" or "Heartbeat of the land"?
If you've asked yourself that question before, then you're probably familiar with SEGA Rally, specifically the Sega Saturn port, for which the track "My Dear Friend" was composed.
For years, many fans have assumed that the chorus is "Feel the heartbeat at the line, Do you feel the heartbeat at the line?" However, the release of the new Sega Rally Ignition soundtrack in Japan has confirmed that the lyrics are actually different: ...

Article : https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/10/new-sega-rally-soundtrack-just-settled-a-decades-old-argument

Offline Berto

« Reply #721 on: October 10, 2024, 11:57:11 pm »
Did you say Retro-Bit will be/considering making Dreamcast controllers for modern PCs as well?

Yeah, but don't expect to see it soon.

I'm proud to own this Sega Saturn controller, but when it comes to how comfortable it is holding it, it's not as comfortable as Dreamcast, PlayStation or GameCube controllers.
Still better than a small brick like Master System or NES though.

Well, they were designed by Japanese afterall.
As Asians, I prefer Master System / Mega Drive / Saturn controllers.
Dreamcast controller feels too big for me.

Offline Mystic Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #722 on: October 12, 2024, 01:50:22 am »
Yeah, but don't expect to see it soon.

Well, they were designed by Japanese afterall.
As Asians, I prefer Master System / Mega Drive / Saturn controllers.
Dreamcast controller feels too big for me.
Well, perhaps because I've grown rather use to modern controllers, I do find the analogue being placed under the D-Pad a bit on a strain to the thumb, but other than that, the controller plays well.

As for the Dreamcast controller, I find it okay. I accepted it's size on account of the VMU, which, if Retro-bit are going to make a modern adaption of the Dreamcast controller, I would have questions if they would include a port for the VMU or not, and if they do... why? All Dreamcast games that had a PC-port no longer support VMUs, unless mods are made for them.

I can imagine the very least, Retro-bit designing a Saturn-Dreamcast hybrid controller. Maybe something like the StrikerDC Wireless but with Dreamcast controller buttons and aesthetic and a second analogue stick. Maybe a layout similar to the XBox 360 or One controller.

Offline Berto

« Reply #723 on: October 13, 2024, 10:23:45 pm »
Well, perhaps because I've grown rather use to modern controllers, I do find the analogue being placed under the D-Pad a bit on a strain to the thumb, but other than that, the controller plays well.

As for the Dreamcast controller, I find it okay. I accepted it's size on account of the VMU, which, if Retro-bit are going to make a modern adaption of the Dreamcast controller, I would have questions if they would include a port for the VMU or not, and if they do... why? All Dreamcast games that had a PC-port no longer support VMUs, unless mods are made for them.

I can imagine the very least, Retro-bit designing a Saturn-Dreamcast hybrid controller. Maybe something like the StrikerDC Wireless but with Dreamcast controller buttons and aesthetic and a second analogue stick. Maybe a layout similar to the XBox 360 or One controller.

Since it'll be cheaper if they removed the VMU compability, I think they'll go with that approach.
And just like you said, the PC-port games no longer support VMUs anyway.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #724 on: October 13, 2024, 11:35:55 pm »
Since it'll be cheaper if they removed the VMU compability, I think they'll go with that approach.
And just like you said, the PC-port games no longer support VMUs anyway.
I wouldn't oppose a new XBox-like controller styled after the Dreamcast controller.

Hell, I would regard it a "feature" if they used the same analogue-stick mechanism the Dreamcast had over what modern controllers had.
Because Dreamcast controllers never suffered from drift.

So to me, Retro-Bit making an XBox controller styled after the Dreamcast wouldn't be enough. It will need the Dreamcast analogue sticks to be recreated for it.

That would be my perfect modern controller.

Offline Berto

« Reply #725 on: October 14, 2024, 01:07:12 am »
I wouldn't oppose a new XBox-like controller styled after the Dreamcast controller.

Hell, I would regard it a "feature" if they used the same analogue-stick mechanism the Dreamcast had over what modern controllers had.
Because Dreamcast controllers never suffered from drift.

So to me, Retro-Bit making an XBox controller styled after the Dreamcast wouldn't be enough. It will need the Dreamcast analogue sticks to be recreated for it.

That would be my perfect modern controller.

For now they aren't making an XBox controller styled after the Dreamcast.
They are making a Dreamcast controller (both wired and wireless) that could also be used in PC, Mac, and an array of modern consoles.
This could still change but they've shared the design to be something like this ...

Turned out it does have one VMU slot available for the wired version, but the wireless version uses a VMU receiver dongle.
The wireless version will also ship with a compatible USB dongle for compatibility with PC, Mac, and modern consoles.

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #726 on: October 14, 2024, 08:25:28 am »
For now they aren't making an XBox controller styled after the Dreamcast.
They are making a Dreamcast controller (both wired and wireless) that could also be used in PC, Mac, and an array of modern consoles.
This could still change but they've shared the design to be something like this ...

Turned out it does have one VMU slot available for the wired version, but the wireless version uses a VMU receiver dongle.
The wireless version will also ship with a compatible USB dongle for compatibility with PC, Mac, and modern consoles.
I'm going to send them an e-mail inquiring about the anlogue sticks.

Offline Berto

« Reply #727 on: October 15, 2024, 01:15:30 am »
I'm going to send them an e-mail inquiring about the anlogue sticks.

Cool, hopefully they're still in still design phase since it would be to late to make a change if they're already in manufacturing phase.

Offline Berto

« Reply #728 on: October 15, 2024, 01:16:23 am »
Classic Shmup Series Sonic Wings / Aero Fighters Is Getting A New Entry

Success – the company behind Cotton – is going to be producing this sequel, and series composer Soshi Hosoi will be returning.
A full reveal of the new game will take place on November 8th. 2024.
The first game in the series hit arcades in 1992 and was ...

Article : https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/10/classic-shmup-series-sonic-wings-aero-fighters-is-getting-a-new-entry

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #729 on: October 15, 2024, 09:34:19 pm »
Cool, hopefully they're still in still design phase since it would be to late to make a change if they're already in manufacturing phase.
Here is the response I got on the same day, but I believe it's an automated reply, I dunno if they will properly respond at some point.

Quote from: My meail to Retro-bit
Hi there,

Hi, thanks for your interest in this project.  At this time, the team is
hard at work on this and other projects.  We'll have more information to
share on the Dreamcast controllers later this year. Any information and
updates will be posted on social media via IG/FB/Twitter @retrobitgaming
as well as our website on retro-bit.com.

On 2024-10-14 06:44, Retro-Bit wrote:
> Name: Colin
> Email: mysticmonkey_1@hotmail.com
> Phone Number:
>
> Comment: I understand you are currently in development of a Dreamcast
> controller with modern functions for PC, Mac and modern consoles.
>
> I just want to know, will you be recreating the analogue functions the
> Dreamcast had, or will you be using modern analogue stick-mechanisms?
>
> (Because a controller that's drift-proof would be regarded a
> feature to some these days.)

Offline Berto

« Reply #730 on: October 15, 2024, 11:58:17 pm »
Here is the response I got on the same day, but I believe it's an automated reply, I dunno if they will properly respond at some point.

Too standard. It's like whoever answered the email didn't even know how the project's state right now but of course I could be wrong.

Offline Berto

« Reply #731 on: October 16, 2024, 12:40:26 am »
The Bonk Designer Who Helped Shape Croc "Never Received The Credit He Deserves".

'90s 3D platformer Croc is getting a multiplatform revival soon, and Argonaut has been sharing some Croc-related trivia over the past few weeks.
One piece of information that has been revealed is that the London-based team had input from Kobuta Aoki, a Japanese designer who worked on Bonk's Adventure / PC Kid, Bonk's Revenge, Super Bonk and Air Zonk.
While he got a production credit on the game, Argonaut feels that his contribution to the 1997 adventure has gone somewhat overlooked over the years.
Aoki was responsible for some of the "big ideas" seen in the game, "including Croc’s backpack and Beany the Bird." It doesn't seem like Aoki ...

Article : https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/10/the-bonk-designer-who-helped-shape-croc-never-received-the-credit-he-deserves

Offline Mystic Monkey

« Reply #732 on: October 16, 2024, 05:23:00 pm »
Too standard. It's like whoever answered the email didn't even know how the project's state right now but of course I could be wrong.
I figured it could be an auto-response.

Offline Berto

« Reply #733 on: October 17, 2024, 01:45:07 am »
I figured it could be an auto-response.

May be but the email response knew that you specifically wrote about Dreamcast controller.
They had many projects other than that.