Author Topic: Sonic Adventure & Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN suck a lot apparently  (Read 60239 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Sonic Adventure & Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN suck a lot apparently
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2010, 04:35:34 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
I gave them my money 12 years ago too. I would be willing to give them money again if they added those little things I've been mentioning on this thread. If they can't be bothered to improve these little things I can't be bothered to give them my money. It doesn't help that I still have my 100% Sonic Adventure save file. I've seen everything the game has to offer yet I would buy it again for widescreen. It's a lost sale, I suppose. Not that Sega care, that Sonic fanbase will make the poor port worth it.
Poor port? If it is equal to the original how is it poor?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:48 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
What are you talking about? Nothing in OutRun Online Arcade was stretched at all.

Infact, SUMO should have handled the port of Crazy Taxi.

Completely different ,for one major reason . OutRun II was already running in what was in effect Wide-screen for the X-Box/Chinhiro . Lots of Dreamcast/NA@MI games didn't support Widescreen

Its not just a SEGA thing, Play Soul Calibur and Ikaruga on X-Box LIVE Arcade, or for that Matter DC REZ on Live Arcade and look for Widescreen modes . Don't think there is any myself.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2010, 01:24:28 pm »
What? First of all, Rez HD is in widescreen.

Second, making Soul Calibur (or ANY 4:3 fighting game) widescreen will change the gameplay too much. Think about how the characters in different fighting games interact with the edge of the screen and how the camera behaves when characters touch those boundaries.

For Soul Calibur, making it widescreen would mean the characters would have to start out farther away from each other. This may not seem like a big deal, but for enthusiasts of the game, it could change their whole strategy. Imagine Marvel vs. Capcom having a widescreen port. (A game where you can't even "stretch" the distance between fighters.) It'll change the whole game.

Same with Ikaruga. Making it widescreen would give you a bigger range of motion. It would change the game too much and would probably wreck it.

Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi don't rely on screen boundaries for gameplay. So there's no excuse for not including widescreen.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »
You don't have to make fighting games 'widescreen' by moving the characters further apart. You can just make the screen show more 'scenery' .

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2010, 03:37:06 pm »
Soul Calibur on the XBLA is such a poor example, they literally removed dozens of features and extras from that game, it did not even have online play. It was just a rushed port to milk extra sales in time for Soul Calibur IV's release.

Dr SEGA Monkey brings up a great point, but George does as well. That is what Capcom did for Super Street Fighter II HD, they actually cared about what people thought of that product and put a lot of really impressive work into it, even getting the fans to support many changes.

But we are not asking huge redesigns like that, we just want widescreen and some positive improvements to the game. It should not be a hassle at all.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2010, 03:38:37 pm »
The best news I have heard is that they are both running at 60fps. But, if they do this, can't they just add widescreen to Sonic?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
That is what Capcom did for Super Street Fighter II HD, they actually cared about what people thought of that product and put a lot of really impressive work into it, even getting the fans to support many changes.
You're comparing a remake to a port? That's not nice.

[EDIT: the rest of this post is not directed at Sanus. It's a personal rant]

If Sega fans took the heads out of the asses for a bit it would be clear that Sega has recently been the company with maybe the most connection with fans with Sonic 4. They are making a perfectly fine 2D HD game like everyone asked and taking fans' opinions seriously.
Still, said fans kept on complaining about every single intricate aspect of the game. So they went their way to delay the game to fix things that fans weren't liking.
If that's not effort and thought and consideration, then I don't know..

Also:
Code: [Select]
Porting is the term used when a computer game designed to run on one platform (...) is converted to run on a different platform. is different from:
Code: [Select]
A remake is an updated re-released version of a previous video game. Typically, a remake shares essentially the same title, gameplay, and story elements of the original game, but also improves on technical aspects such as graphics, sound, and the user interface.
If you want a remake, ask for one. Sega is porting games. They are supposed to come as they were. Sonic Adventure was 4:3, boo-oo
SEG4GES

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2010, 04:22:52 pm »
What? First of all, Rez HD is in widescreen.

Nope ,  I said play the DC (standard) version of REZ found in the XBox Live version,and its then displayed in  standard 4.3 ratio and doesn't fill out the screen . I'm sure the ex capcom staff that made the Rez LIVE port, said it had to be remade to enable Wide-screen support

For Soul Calibur, making it widescreen would mean the characters would have to start out farther away from each other. This may not seem like a big deal, but for enthusiasts of the game, it could change their whole strategy.

So what about Doom II ,Duke Nukem 3D and many other games that don't support widescreen on X-Box Live .

Soul Calibur on the XBLA is such a poor example, they literally removed dozens of features and extras from that game, it did not even have online play. It was just a rushed port to milk extra sales in time for Soul Calibur IV's release

Not a poor example at all. Most of the stuff you said about the mission mode was taken out , due to download limits , like OutRun Online had a ton of stuff missing due to Download limits . Widscreen support I'm sure wouldn't add many Meg's, if it was so simple

Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi don't rely on screen boundaries for gameplay. So there's no excuse for not including widescreen

One could say the same for games like Duke or Doom . I will also say that the way Power VR handled and drew polygons on screen, may complicate matters . Also in Sonic Adv, at certain times , when there's both polygon characters and FMV backgrounds, the game double the vertical res.

Not all DC games are so simple to port

The best news I have heard is that they are both running at 60fps
Crazy Taxi was running at 60 fps on the DC. Its hardly an improvement.

At the end of the day , these are just basic Dreamcast Ports , and if you don't like it, Stick with the DC versions or play them on Enu . For others I'm sure they'll be more than happy ( I know I will be) .

That is what Capcom did for Super Street Fighter II HD, they actually cared about what people thought of that product and put a lot of really impressive work into it, even getting the fans to support many changes.

Like Sega did with Virtual On II port ?.  Lets at least give SEGA credit for some stuff please
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 04:28:09 pm »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"

Like Sega did with Virtual On II port ?.  Lets at least give SEGA credit for some stuff please

I don't think anyone said Sega ruined EVERYTHING on XBLA, just these two games seem like garbage.

Also crackdude: To me Sonic 4 seems like Sega trying to create the illusion of giving a fuck about the fans, rather than actually trying to make a genuinely good game.

"Damn, reviewers keep asking for 2D games. Okay, just slap together a few levels, call it Sonic 4 to get the headlines and then charge like a wounded bull for 12 stages. Suckers like Twisted Pixel will be charging the same for 100 levels, but fuck that. Also homing attacks and speed boosters everywhere."

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2010, 04:45:58 pm »
I don't think anyone said Sega ruined EVERYTHING on XBLA, just these two games seem like garbage

Why because they don't offer wide-screen support ?. If these were remakes I might be pissed, To me they're simply ports, and allow people to play DC games with out the hassle of setting up the DC, or having various systems and games ready to hand .

I seriously don't get the outcry , More so over issues like music and font rights, that SEGA have no control over , or are not about to spend money of getting new Rights.  I just want near perfect Dreamcast ports, for a cheap price

To me Sonic 4 seems like Sega trying to create the illusion of giving a fuck about the fans, rather than actually trying to make a genuinely good game

I think we all need to play the game 1st . Also to me its does seem that at last SEGA is noting what fans what . Only Sonic, Fast pure gameplay and no pointless gimmicks (like werewolf and extra characters)  that seems to be the case in the new 2 Sonic games . That to me is a huge start on getting Sonic back on form , and what fans want
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »
Not a poor example at all. Most of the stuff you said about the mission mode was taken out , due to download limits , like OutRun Online had a ton of stuff missing due to Download limits . Widscreen support I'm sure wouldn't add many Meg's, if it was so simple

Download limits my ass, Soul Calibur IV is a largely similar product, so it makes sense to not have basic features like online play. It was just a way to milk the name for the time, come on, it is obvious.

At the end of the day , these are just basic Dreamcast Ports , and if you don't like it, Stick with the DC versions or play them on Enu . For others I'm sure they'll be more than happy ( I know I will be) .

No they are not, Sonic Adventure is clearly based off of the DX builds that everyone hates to begin with, so if anything, a basic Dreamcast port would have been an improvement.

Not to mention, the 'DX' features of the title are removed to make the player pay for Mission Mode and maybe Metal Sonic. These kind of features take time and money to do, but instead of improving the product they are half-assing it on purpose just to make as much money as possible with as little effort as can be.

Uhh what? I was talking about Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and the upcoming set of games. Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram was arranged by AM2, obviously it was an outstanding product.

Quote from: "crackdude"
If Sega fans took the heads out of the asses for a bit it would be clear that Sega has recently been the company with maybe the most connection with fans with Sonic 4. They are making a perfectly fine 2D HD game like everyone asked and taking fans' opinions seriously.
Still, said fans kept on complaining about every single intricate aspect of the game. So they went their way to delay the game to fix things that fans weren't liking.

Holy shit, you are so wrong in so many ways. Of course SEGA cares about Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but you are giving the game faaaaaaar too much credit if you think this is what the fans have wanted for years and years.

If you want a remake, ask for one. Sega is porting games. They are supposed to come as they were. Sonic Adventure was 4:3, boo-oo

I will not because I feel most of the good Sonic games are good enough that they do not need redesigns. I only want a game that has obviously aged like Sonic Adventure to be improved a little bit, even little effort like just updating the sound quality of the voices or something would be alright, but they are not doing that.

And I hope you realize that there is a huge spectrum between port and remake. Editing simple features like texture quality and screen display in 3D games are not hard to do.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2010, 04:57:49 pm »

Holy shit, you are so wrong in so many ways. Of course SEGA cares about Sonic the Hedgehog 4, but you are giving the game faaaaaaar too much credit if you think this is what the fans have wanted for years and years.

I will not because I feel most of the good Sonic games are good enough that they do not need redesigns. I only want a game that has obviously aged like Sonic Adventure to be improved a little bit, even little effort like just updating the sound quality of the voices or something would be alright, but they are not doing that.

And I hope you realize that there is a huge spectrum between port and remake. Editing simple features like texture quality and screen display in 3D games are not hard to do.
Fans have been asking for a modern 2D Sonic game. Sega is giving them that..

And you know sound and such are improved cause you've already played the final version of the port?
As for improvements, they are making it 60fps which is more than I would ask for.. I guess you just have higher standards..
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »
I don't think anyone said Sega ruined EVERYTHING on XBLA, just these two games seem like garbage

Why because they don't offer wide-screen support ?. If these were remakes I might be pissed, To me they're simply ports, and allow people to play DC games with out the hassle of setting up the DC, or having various systems and games ready to hand .

I seriously don't get the outcry , More so over issues like music and font rights, that SEGA have no control over , or are not about to spend money of getting new Rights.  I just want near perfect Dreamcast ports, for a cheap price

I wouldn't mind paying for a Dreamcast-Perfect port of the game, but so far I'm not even sure if Crazy Taxi has Crazy Box mode, which is like, over half the game. Apart from that they butchered the music, if they couldn't use Offspring and Bad Religion, why not use some classic Sega tunes or something instead of cheap licensed music?

As for Sonic Adventure, it's apparantly based on some GameCube or PC versions, which I hear are inferior. If it were just the Dreamcast game perfectly ported, I would be happy.

Download limits my ass, Soul Calibur IV is a largely similar product, so it makes sense to not have basic features like online play. It was just a way to milk the name for the time, come on, it is obvious.

Don't be so hasty, don't forget Soul Caliber on XBLA was one of the very last games that was forced to fit into a size limit. I think it was shortly after that they removed size constrictions and started introducing stuff like Shadow Complex, CoD Classic and other games that were over 1GB etc.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2010, 05:50:49 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Apart from that they butchered the music, if they couldn't use Offspring and Bad Religion, why not use some classic Sega tunes or something instead of cheap licensed music?

Sorry, but I think hearing "Splash Wave" or something like it in Crazy Taxi would have seemed far cheaper and more out of place.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2010, 06:09:16 pm »
SEGA has years and years of potentially billions of songs. I am sure they can find something!