Author Topic: Sonic Adventure & Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN suck a lot apparently  (Read 60192 times)

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sonic Adventure & Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN suck a lot apparently
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:38 pm »
I know I'm going to get murdered for suggesting these, but....

[youtube:10jwmfsg]Hy9KZ3BSlFk[/youtube:10jwmfsg]

[youtube:10jwmfsg]OX02dD7mlG0[/youtube:10jwmfsg]

Well I like them....

Another big problem with these ports is that there's nothing drawing in the younger generation of gamers. At the moment, these Dreamcast re-releases are only appealing to people who have already played them, or have heard of them. Kids don't want to play games with blocky models, they like pretty graphics. Also, adults may be turned off by the dated graphics if they aren't familiar with the games.

SEGA should be improving the graphics to make the games comparable to original 3D games you can download on Xbox Live and PSN. That way, they'll be seen less as "wonky, old, dated Dreamcast re-releases" and more like fresh, unique, top-quality games from SEGA.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2010, 07:02:15 pm »
To everyone mentioning Soul Calibur's mission mode. That mode was more about programming rather than assets (models, textures...), which were already there for the main modes. Code takes a tiny fraction of the space, it wouldn't blow the size limits. So, yeah, Soul Calibur XBLA sucks too. All of those Dreamcast games are bound to suck on XBLA. Except for Rez and that's because Mizuguchi took care of it.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2010, 02:02:10 am »
Download limits my ass, Soul Calibur IV is a largely similar product, so it makes sense to not have basic features like online play. It was just a way to milk the name for the time, come on, it is obvious.

Yes  those silly X-Box Live download limits . That made sure lot of content was cut out of various ports . 1st it was 60 meg, then 120 meg , then over 300 Meg , Now its 2 Gig.
That's why the Mission mode in SC was taken out .  

And as for comparing a full retail price game, to a simple X-Box Live port , That's just being silly imo.

Sonic Adventure is clearly based off of the DX builds that everyone hates to begin with, so if anything, a basic Dreamcast port would have been an improvement
The Cube port which is  based on the DC game ? If its running at 60 fps , that would mean it based on PC version of Sonic Adv, which wasn't too bad at all .

I was talking about Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and the upcoming set of games. Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram was arranged by AM2, obviously it was an outstanding product
Oh we forget about some other SEGA LIVE Arcade games, lets go on about Capcom ?.

I think SEGA done very good on X-Box Live Arcade with excellent ports . And  I'm sure if there more DC ports coming, they'll be running on AM#2 DC emu . But no noubt you'll knock the shit out of them, over pointless stuff like in not running in Widescreen.

but so far I'm not even sure if Crazy Taxi has Crazy Box mode, which is like, over half the game. Apart from that they butchered the music, if they couldn't use Offspring and Bad Religion, why not use some classic Sega tunes or something instead of cheap licensed music?

The Box mode or lack off. I'll not try and defend . Music wise , for one thing we haven't see the final Track listing , maybe we'll see SEGA classic rock music put in . Also you can play a Custom Track on a 360 even if its not supported In-Game , Just buy using the Dash and selecting Music Sources .

it's apparantly based on some GameCube or PC versions, which I hear are inferior. If it were just the Dreamcast game perfectly ported, I would be happy.

PC version is very good imo. No major  Frame rates problems at all
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2010, 06:36:28 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
As for Sonic Adventure, it's apparantly based on some GameCube or PC versions, which I hear are inferior. If it were just the Dreamcast game perfectly ported, I would be happy.
Those versions were "bad" because of framerate issues. The Gamecube version in particular had weird fps cuts. The PC version played in a powerful PC runs fine.
If they make it 60fps at all times like they say it'll be as good or better than the DC version.

Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
SEGA should be improving the graphics to make the games comparable to original 3D games you can download on Xbox Live and PSN. That way, they'll be seen less as "wonky, old, dated Dreamcast re-releases" and more like fresh, unique, top-quality games from SEGA.
I would rage so hard at this. Just changing the visuals could potentially piss off old fans. These releases are directed at them.
Unless they were like super remakes full of new stuff. That would be cool too!
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2010, 02:57:39 pm »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Yes  those silly X-Box Live download limits . That made sure lot of content was cut out of various ports . 1st it was 60 meg, then 120 meg , then over 300 Meg , Now its 2 Gig.
That's why the Mission mode in SC was taken out .  

And as for comparing a full retail price game, to a simple X-Box Live port , That's just being silly imo.

Orta explained why your point is incorrect. At the time the limit was 1G, Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is not even 700MB.

Again, they just did it because Soul Calibur IV was coming out at the same time. It plays largely the same and the original is loved much much more, what seems like a better deal in this case, $60 for the new broken release or $10 for one of the most treasured games of all time with largely the same gameplay and features? They cut it on purpose.

Oh we forget about some other SEGA LIVE Arcade games, lets go on about Capcom ?.

I think SEGA done very good on X-Box Live Arcade with excellent ports . And  I'm sure if there more DC ports coming, they'll be running on AM#2 DC emu . But no noubt you'll knock the shit out of them, over pointless stuff like in not running in Widescreen.

Not to come off like an elitist prick, but have you literally played any of these? The Backbone releases especially are literally the worst ports on the whole platform with such obvious issues as basic sounds like punching or collecting three rings in a row being glitched to the point they sometimes do not play or make a loud shrilling noise in place? They are also literally the only ports on the platform that do not use custom soundtracks properly, but instead just playing over all of the music and sound completely.

I am not sure how you can praise work like this, but complain that the next Yakuza game we know nothing about is part of the same series as always.

Quote from: "crackdude"
As for Sonic Adventure, it's apparantly based on some GameCube or PC versions, which I hear are inferior. If it were just the Dreamcast game perfectly ported, I would be happy.
Those versions were "bad" because of framerate issues. The Gamecube version in particular had weird fps cuts. The PC version played in a powerful PC runs fine.
If they make it 60fps at all times like they say it'll be as good or better than the DC version.

Framerate issues? What about how they changed the models of some of the characters to the point they completely clash with the rest of the world? Or how they changed some of the art to make the characters look like plastic instead? Or how they took out minigames and a large section of the voices?

Obviously they added some nice stuff, but it was mostly related to the Chao garden, and even then it was not so special. The DX release is worse.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2010, 05:04:03 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Framerate issues? What about how they changed the models of some of the characters to the point they completely clash with the rest of the world? Or how they changed some of the art to make the characters look like plastic instead? Or how they took out minigames and a large section of the voices?

Obviously they added some nice stuff, but it was mostly related to the Chao garden, and even then it was not so special. The DX release is worse.
The models were great and did not look like plastic (nothing like Sonic Heroes). Many polygons and moved smoothly. I played the PC version with high specs if that changes anything. I also have the DC version, and graphically the PC blows it away. DC models move great, but have very bland colors.

Again I think this is more of self opinion than anything..

I had forgotten about the Chao Garden!! If they add some stuff to it or some online functions or something I'll buy it day one. Otherwise..we'll see.

The DX version is worse on the GC. On the PC it was just as good, but I hate action PC gaming so I prefer the DC.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:46 pm »
I think I'll have to try the demo for Sonic Adventure at least then.

As for SC on XBLA, I think at the time the limit was still 250 MB, not 1GB. Looking into old articles, apparantly the limit during develoment time was still 150 MB, so they had to cut heaps of stuff to fit it, then it was lifted to 250 MB or something JUST before it released, so they threw in as much content as they could, but couldn't get Quest Mode in a reasonable time.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2010, 05:47:58 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
The models were great and did not look like plastic (nothing like Sonic Heroes). Many polygons and moved smoothly. I played the PC version with high specs if that changes anything. I also have the DC version, and graphically the PC blows it away. DC models move great, but have very bland colors.

Again I think this is more of self opinion than anything..

Sonic's model is bumped up a lot, but some like Gamma was not even touched, it all completely clashes and makes everything else look worse considering they built everything over existing models with the animation just as awkward as ever and the background characters being around 200 polygons each. If you break it down you will see Big has much more detail and polygons in his hands in the DX releases as he does for the rest of his body. I do not understand how this kind of stuff is acceptable to anyone.

As for SC on XBLA, I think at the time the limit was still 250 MB, not 1GB. Looking into old articles, apparantly the limit during develoment time was still 150 MB, so they had to cut heaps of stuff to fit it, then it was lifted to 250 MB or something JUST before it released, so they threw in as much content as they could, but couldn't get Quest Mode in a reasonable time.

I checked the dates, the change to 350MB was three months before the release of the game. I also checked the Dreamcast game's size and it is just over 400MB.

I do not really know where to go with that, but I cannot see them being too motivated to improve the quality of the cheap game when they can get people to buy the more expensive product just as easily.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2010, 02:18:02 am »
Orta explained why your point is incorrect. At the time the limit was 1G, Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is not even 700MB

No, You had to ask MS for special permission to break the limit which was far lower than a Gig, at the time .
Coming from the one that said they wasn't such limits in the 1st place, its also a little rich . Maybe it also explain why Sumo couldn't put all the OutRun 2006 content into OutRun LIVE, even though again the X-Box version was lower than a Gig . So you are very wrong on that front

Again, they just did it because Soul Calibur IV was coming out at the same time. It plays largely the same and the original is loved much much more,
Comparing a port , which more often than not is not handled by the same team and with have limited resources , compared to  the full price Retail sequel, that is also in the works, is simply not fair and rather silly imo.

Not to come off like an elitist prick, but have you literally played any of these? The Backbone releases especially are literally the worst ports on the whole platform with such obvious issues as basic sounds like punching or collecting three rings in a row being glitched to the point they sometimes do not play or make a loud shrilling noise in place? They are also literally the only ports on the platform that do not use custom soundtracks properly, but instead just playing over all of the music and sound completely.

That's the trouble with Emu, some games work perfectly some don't (even with PC emu's) . And as for what SEGA related LIVE Arcade I've purchased, well that would be Sonic, Golden Axe, SOR II, REZ, VO II, OutRun Online, After Burner Climax (by all means check my gamertag) .
I've been quite happy with all of them , and I say again (not that I would want to as all SEGA games have immense music) Press the guide button and select music sources and play any music you like to . Its all rather simple for 360 fans.

Now have you played the new Sonic IV?  

I am not sure how you can praise work like this, but complain that the next Yakuza game we know nothing about is part of the same series as always.

Nice try . But you can be sure if SEGA announced it was brining Yakuza 1 and II to the PSN and X-Box LIVE in near perfect original state, I wouldn't be complaining, You see I'm all for SEGA porting is back catalogue of Arcade and Console classics .

Its not a dream on SEGA manpower or Budgets ( its relatively cheap and easy , and often done out of House) and a great one for people to play the games, who haven't before, or don't want the hasstle of having loads of games and every system under the sun, still set up to their TV

Do I have to prove that I own the copies of the games again as well ?
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2010, 12:44:44 am »
No, You had to ask MS for special permission to break the limit which was far lower than a Gig, at the time .
Coming from the one that said they wasn't such limits in the 1st place, its also a little rich . Maybe it also explain why Sumo couldn't put all the OutRun 2006 content into OutRun LIVE, even though again the X-Box version was lower than a Gig . So you are very wrong on that front

It is just basic code. They could have added this all as an extra for free or for extra money, they chose not to and purposely kept it gimped.

With OutRun2 - I have a feeling SEGA wants to release the other courses as another stand alone game for 800 points as OutRun Online Arcade 2. It would all work out best this way I think.

Comparing a port , which more often than not is not handled by the same team and with have limited resources , compared to  the full price Retail sequel, that is also in the works, is simply not fair and rather silly imo.

I do not know what you are talking about. It takes more resources to take out material than it is to just leave it all alone.

That's the trouble with Emu, some games work perfectly some don't (even with PC emu's) .

I never had any of these problems, or at least never to the extent with PC emulators by fans from the late 90s and certainly not any lately. Those are all done for free by people who do it as a hobby, the complete opposite of what Backbone has done. At the very least I expect basic sounds like punches and collecting rings to work right, they do not.

Listen to Sonic Spinball's menu theme on the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 collection and tell me how that is any form of acceptable.

And as for what SEGA related LIVE Arcade I've purchased, well that would be Sonic, Golden Axe, SOR II, REZ, VO II, OutRun Online, After Burner Climax (by all means check my gamertag) .
I've been quite happy with all of them , and I say again (not that I would want to as all SEGA games have immense music) Press the guide button and select music sources and play any music you like to . Its all rather simple for 360 fans.

I have almost all of those myself, we should play some of them sometime. Add me to your friends list if you can!

And yeah, I enjoyed all of them too. The Backbone releases pissed me off, but if you check my gamertag you will see I got a lot of play out of all of them.

But Backbone's releases do not work properly with the custom soundtracks. It just replaces all of the sound completely. Before I assumed this would be hard to do, but both Banjo-Kazooie games on there offer this so it is just Backbone sucking.

Now have you played the new Sonic IV?

Completely unrelated. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is developed by people who have never worked on the Xbox Live Arcade platform ever, I was talking about the bulk of titles already released.

Nice try . But you can be sure if SEGA announced it was brining Yakuza 1 and II to the PSN and X-Box LIVE in near perfect original state, I wouldn't be complaining, You see I'm all for SEGA porting is back catalogue of Arcade and Console classics .

Its not a dream on SEGA manpower or Budgets ( its relatively cheap and easy , and often done out of House) and a great one for people to play the games, who haven't before, or don't want the hasstle of having loads of games and every system under the sun, still set up to their TV

Do I have to prove that I own the copies of the games again as well ?

I do not know where you are trying to go with this.

My complaints arise from the people porting the bulk of these being retards. For instance, Ecco the Dolphin is on basically every platform available now, but all are the Genesis release. None are the SEGA CD or PC releases, even the recent PC release on Steam is the Genesis version! This is just stupid and makes no sense. They even charge more for Sonic 3D Blast on Steam than all of the other Genesis releases but meanwhile the PC release of that sits abandoned forever.

If a competent developer - Like AM2 - Were to handle these they would most likely put the CD soundtracks in there, maybe make the cart songs optional, possibly remix those songs too and bring in features from both releases while probably making either optional. Also they would probably not even bother porting a shitty game like Sonic 3D Blast.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »
With OutRun2 - I have a feeling SEGA wants to release the other courses as another stand alone game for 800 points as OutRun Online Arcade 2. It would all work out best this way I think.

Sumo digital already confirmed in an interview it was Cut , due to MS Live limits . As did sol , on boards like NTSC.

It takes more resources to take out material than it is to just leave it all alone.

There was never any Internet Vs Play in Dreamcast SC.  So I don't really know, what you're talking about
Mission mode was taken out due to size limits . Compressing a game is more hardwork , that taking the mode out altogether

I never had any of these problems, or at least never to the extent with PC emulators by fans from the late 90s and certainly not any lately. Those are all done for free by people who do it as a hobby, the complete opposite of what Backbone has done

I have issues with various emu's on the PC and X-Box . Some games work, some don't.

I have almost all of those myself, we should play some of them sometime. Add me to your friends list if you can!

Done

For instance, Ecco the Dolphin is on basically every platform available now, but all are the Genesis release. None are the SEGA CD or PC releases,

The Mega CD version is quite big due to the Sountrack. Also i'm not sure if SEGA still has the rights to the bonus FMV used inthe game . Simple stuff like that, can just make it easier to look elsewhere.

If a competent developer - Like AM2

I'm sure some of the AM#2 staff are also helping on the DC ports .
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

Sumo digital already confirmed in an interview it was Cut , due to MS Live limits . As did sol , on boards like NTSC.

Yeah I knew of it too, but I am saying that they can now easily make a new release for the same price with all of the other content.

There was never any Internet Vs Play in Dreamcast SC.  So I don't really know, what you're talking about
Mission mode was taken out due to size limits . Compressing a game is more hardwork , that taking the mode out altogether

I was mostly talking about other features, like well, unlockables. Namco even said at one point they would not remove anything from the XBLA release, and like I said they even could have added stuff like Mission Mode as DLC fine enough, but they just did not even bother.

The Mega CD version is quite big due to the Sountrack. Also i'm not sure if SEGA still has the rights to the bonus FMV used inthe game . Simple stuff like that, can just make it easier to look elsewhere.

I can maybe understand the FMVs, but those were not in the original Ecco. Even though they are about the story of the first game they were originally in the sequel as an extra. They were in the PC release, but to me it would be just great if they at least acknowledged the existence of these releases.

I'm sure some of the AM#2 staff are also helping on the DC ports .

Here's hoping.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »
Yeah I knew of it too, but I am saying that they can now easily make a new release for the same price with all of the other conten

Now they could (that wasn't the point). But at the time there were daft X-Box Live limits . There is still a limit of 2 gig for a X-Box Live download , but for most DC games that isn't an issue
I was mostly talking about other features, like well, unlockables. Namco even said at one point they would not remove anything from the XBLA release

They did put in all the unlockable stages, characters,  and theatre modes one would unlock in Mission mode  . In many ways there were true to their word.

I can maybe understand the FMVs, but those were not in the original Ecco
No they were in the Mega Cd version though , like the extra music .

Here's hoping

I think some of the AM#2 staff are producing some of the DC ports
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »
I can maybe understand the FMVs, but those were not in the original Ecco
No they were in the Mega Cd version though , like the extra music .

I have owned the game my entire life, the PC release of the first game is the only release of Ecco I that has the FMVs. Ecco II was the first release ever to have these FMVs at all, they were even marketed on the back of the box.

The bottom two screens are from the FMVs themselves even.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2010, 03:44:52 pm »
I have owned the game my entire life, the PC release of the first game is the only release of Ecco I that has the FMVs. Ecco II was the first release ever to have these FMVs at all, they were even marketed on the back of the box.

Well I suggest you play the Mega CD game then . Yes there's FMV in the 1st Ecco game onthe Mega CD . You talk to the Library stage Glyphs and you get a nice lovely FMV clip on the History of the Dolphin
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is