Author Topic: My E3 quick take impressions.  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
My E3 quick take impressions.
« on: June 18, 2010, 03:07:55 pm »
Hey folks! Me and Nux has an absolute blast at E3. We got to meets tons of gaming celebs and played lots of upcoming titles. We'll have more articles up over the coming week, but let me tell you on some of the games and hardware I played.

HARDWARE:

The Nintendo 3DS - I'm impressed and unimpressed at the same time. It's a heck of a piece of Tech. Not only does it have the graphics power of the Wii if not more, but it has a "No glasses" 3-D screen, a great analog nub, A CAMERA THAT TAKES PICTURES IN 3-D and still comes in at the same size as the DS Lite.

The only problems I have with it are really my own. I got so used to the DSi XL that the screen seems incredibly tiny to me. Also, the 3-D doesn't really impress me much. It's subtle and doesn't really pop out well. But, it's a sharp picture and it does have depth. The problem is for the 3-D to work, you gotta hold the system still and not move your head around. That could make it uncomfortable after long periods of play.

That said, I'll buy this sucker in a heartbeat.

X-Box Kinect - Well, we couldn't ry any offical MS games at the Microsoft booth as it was packed. However were were able to try some kinect party games at WB's booth for the game...ummm...something party I forget and I can't find it.

Anyway, in the first mingame we tried, it was basically "Whack a mole" type game where you use your hands on top to wack some gramlins, and your feet to stomp the bottom gremlins. It was okay, and the controls worked well. The second game was a new version of Tapper. This one had avatrs and you moved left and right serving root beer to customers. Nux didn't even try to play as he was having to much fun watching his avatar mimmick his every movement.

I gotta say, the Kinect as hardware really works. It tracks everything you so perfectly. You lift your leg and twirl you ankle and the avatar will do the same. Crazy!! Now, they just need a better use for it outside of casual games.

I have more hardware reviews coming up but I gotta go. Toy Story 3 awaits!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Monkeroony

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: My E3 quick take impressions.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:29 pm »
I've not really been impressed by anything shown on Kinect but it's good to see that there is potential.

Offline Shigs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:41:53 am »
More Hardware impressions...

3-D TVS - SONY With Glasses

Okay, the 3-D effects are nice and the picture is sharp as heck. However, the glasses are like putting on shades so the picture is darker. Also, the batteries were contantly dying on the glasses so you had to keep turning them on. How come we can't have the regular 3-D experience we have at the movies with regular 3-D glasses instead of this odd thing?

3-D TVs with NO Glasses required.

Okay, now this is really weird. But it works....kinda. It's like a giant screen version of the 3DS, but without the resolution changed. It says it's HD, but it looks so odd. There a pixelatd look all over the screen like it was colored with dot matrix patters. Also, the 3-D is a lot more about depth than things popping out. It's not a good option either.

3-D TV has a long ways to go.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Orta

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 05:00:31 am »
Batteries on the glasses? Could you please elaborate on that one? Why do those need batteries? :shock: Aren't the ones given at the cinemas enough?

Offline Shigs

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 01:00:06 pm »
Nope. The theater one will not work. I don't understand the tech myself, but basically, it's in sync with the TV and it has little shutter lenses that close one eye and open the other super super fast over and over. Why they can't use the same tech as the movies, I dunno.

And the non-glasses 3-D televisions just look bizzare!! There's little tiny dots everywhere. It's like a high res version of Sega CD video. Not that bad, but it gives you an idea of what I mean.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 01:09:53 pm »
Sounds like the glasses are a direct descendent of the LCD shutter tech that Sega used on their 3D glasses for the Master System over 20 years ago.  I guess over 25 years ago if you count their 3D arcade games, like Subroc 3D and Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom.

Offline Shigs

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 11:47:08 pm »
I should mention the move as well. Didn't get much time with it. Only one demo. It was the office chair one. It has the same basic functionality as a Wiimote with Wii motion plus. The controls really felt no different from that. The controller itself does feel real smooth in the hand and the bulb sitting on top is soft. I wish I could've played more so I can get a better idea. With everyone dissapointed in the boxing game, and the poor library of Move titles on the floor, maybe Kinect is the winner in motion control this year.
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 11:55:36 pm »
But Resident Evil 5, Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, and LittleBigPlanet 2 will support move. How is that not as good as a yoga game :( .

I don't know how either one will win, when Nintendo has a great line up on Wii. That is the competition, not each other.