Author Topic: Old Video Game rumours/lies you used to believe!  (Read 16698 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Old Video Game rumours/lies you used to believe!
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:17:30 am »
Back in the days before we could check everything on the internet, and when games still had secrets because of it, I'm sure we'd all been tricked or fell for some false rumours about our favourite games. There was always someone who's dad bought them a game from America that you never heard or, or who's dad worked for Sega and knew some secret cheat/level that you believed.

I think it's fun to look back at these and laugh at how gullible we were for believing them:

Bullet Man: The Game
This is from a friend in primary school who told me he was rich and had every Mega Drive game ever. When I asked him what his favourite game was, he said it was "Bullet Man".

Apparrantly it was a game about a man made entirely out of bullets and you had to shoot your way through several levels. His nose would morph into a giant gun (I assume the gun was also made of bullets) and he would shoot rockets from it.

I believed him as well, I think he told me that I wouldn't have heard of it before because it was only out in America or Japan. Which leads me to my next game...

Street Fighter Vs Mortal Kombat
Same friend as Bullet Man, he told me about this game that was only out in America or Japan or something, but he somehow imported.

I don't remember much about this except that it apparantly had Kintaro from MK2, who knew how to roll, but was a shit character regardless.

Dick Tracy's Oyster Girl
Different friend, who was also a purveyor of bullshit video game rumours. I was talking about how hard Dick Tracy on Mega Drive was (try that game out sometime, I still can't finish that with Save States!) and that I couldn't beat Lips Manlis. He told me that he had finished the game once, and continually confused Lips Manlis with some character who I never heard of called 'The Oyster Girl'.

Virtua Cop of the Dead
Same friend who told me about the curious 'Oyster Girl' boss also told me he was lucky enough to play Virtua Cop 3 (This was while I had a saturn and Virtua Cop 2 was still new). He told me all about how it's set in a haunted house and you need to kill zombies. I asked if he meant The House of the Dead or CarnEVIL or something like that, but he swore blind it was a location-test for Virtua Cop 3. By this time I was savvy enough to realise that Sega Saturn Magazine would surely have this covered if true.
"Why haven't I read about this in any magazines?"
"When you get to the door, if they see you are from the press or carrying a pen and paper, you aren't allowed to play, so the press hasn't heard about it yet!"
"Riiiiiight...."

Super Mario Bros' Secret Jungle Level!
This was my own trick I used on a friend at their house.
We were playing SMB 2 Player on his NES, and since it was his game he was much better than me. The way it used to work on SMB was one player would play until he died, and only then would player 2 get to have a go. I was waiting ages for him to die so I could have a play and got bored.

I told him if he jumps down into some bottomless pit, that it goes to a secret Jungle Level. He believed me and jumped to his death. He was pissed off but gave me the controller to have my turn.
The first bottomless pit I came across, he said to me
"HEY IF YOU JUMP DOWN THERE YOU GET A SECRET LEVEL"
"How dumb do you think I am?"

Anyone else have any pre-internet Video Game rumours that they fell for or just found really funny looking back at them?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Old Video Game rumours/lies you used to believe!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:49:50 am »
Mortal Kombat will make your head explode.
I was always a Street Fighter II nut, ever since I played the game as a tiny child in the arcade. But when my cousin told me it was 'shit' compared to this new game called Mortal Kombat. He said its like 'Street Fighter' but gory as fuck. As a kid, interest in the game spiked and I had to get it. He told me that if you played the game and where not ready, that it would make your head explode do to its 'REALISTIC' graphics and sound. I bought the game, after my dad's friend owed him money and like a typical Mexican, he 'refused' the money (it was more of a 'gift'), his friend gave me the money. So when I bought it, I refused to play it first, I let my cousins play it cuz I literally thought my head would explode.

Donkey Kong Country vs. Sonic the Hedgehog game
My friend told me that the reason Sonic's shoe was on Donkey  Kong Country, was because it was a hint for a game that is coming out soon called Donkey Kong Country vs. Sonic the Hedgehog...

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:07 am »
You don't have to buy a PS2
Curiously, about 4 or 5 of my friends swore this was true and that they had seen it in action (which is bullshit of course): If you put your PSX in a vertical position it will read PS2 discs and play them at a lower resolution. This was a heavily popular rumor at the time. I have no idea where it came from.

They are already making the PS7
This is another rumor that spread around the time of the PS2's launch. The PS7 would be of a pinkish-red color (kinda like a beef) and it would plug right into your belly button so that the characters on the screen would do the exact same motions as you do (kinda like Kinect with cords). It "is supposed" to release between 2010 and 2015.
Actually, this rumor came from the misinterpretation of some satirical comments made by the Official Playstation Magazine here in Portugal. Kids took stuff waaay seriously back in these days.

The ultimate powerful white Sega Saturn
This was actually just a big mess up. This was spreading at a time when the Dreamcast had launched in Japan only. So as there is only Black Saturn here, when some guys saw the white Dreamcast they confused it with the white japanese Saturn. By talking about how awesome it was, they spread the rumor that the white Saturn was superior. (in fact, some of my friends still are convinced TODAY that the white Saturn has better graphical capabilities over the regular one).

all Sega Saturn games are coming to the PSX
This was a rumor started by the Official Playstation Magazine!
I've long lost the issues, but I have the number 100 and it still has some guy asking in the mail section if the "news" they announced before is still going to happen. I remember some friends of mine talking about how they were asking for a PSX because it could run all games from both consoles. (My dad got me a PSX so I remember being fucking excited with this. Fucking OPM.)

Sega Saturn plays Megadrive games
because of the port in the back. Common rumor.
Still, this lead to the rumor that there was a cartridge version of NiGHTS which supposedly played on the MegaDrive as well. wtf.

EDIT: Oh yeah! There was a Mortal Kombat one as well!
The game was so hardcore that if you were underage and played it, you would die in your sleep as death would descend to you and take you to Mortal Kombat world to die.
As a 6 year old this scared the shit out of me. Nice sleepless night I had that day.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:00:35 pm »
^I love the PS7 rumour! And I also remember that rumour that Saturn plays MegaDrive games. In fact, I think the people at stores used to even say that when you asked about it.

And it seems Mortal Kombat is a really strong topic for rumours back in the day. Pretty interesting that we've heard two so far that state the game could legit kill you. Sounds a bit like the Urban Legend of Polybius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(game))

Offline Ulala5

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 04:18:26 am »
Mortal Kombat
When i was a kid my friends talked about this super move in the next MK game called Animality instead of Fatality where all the characters turn in to some animal and killed the enemy in a very splatter way  :shock:  i searched the game for years

oh, forgot to say that this was before MK3 lol
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:24:40 am by Ulala5 »
Go Go Channel 5

[Xbox Gamercards

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:22:15 am »
Quote from: "Ulala5"
Mortal Kombat
When i was a kid my friends talked about this super move in the next MK game called Animality instead of Fatality where all the characters turn in to some animal and killed the enemy in a very splatter way  :shock:  i search for year this game with animlaity

Do you mean these?
[youtube:fmzw4b56]_ZpgIzE9Cb4[/youtube:fmzw4b56]

Offline Ulala5

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:26:53 am »
yes, just edited my post, the rumor was coming out before MK3 and i did not know about it after some year it was released, so i really searched it for some year lol
Go Go Channel 5

[Xbox Gamercards

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:27:16 am »
I remember being accused of 'bullshit' in Mortal Kombat. I got to fight Reptile in the bottom of the spike stage (bridge) all my friends and cousins said I lied about it. Before the wonders of Wiki!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:34:08 am »
Quote from: "Ulala5"
yes, just edited my post, the rumor was coming out before MK3 and i did not know about it after some year it was released, so i really searched it for some year lol

Ah, didn't see the edit! But that actually reminds me of ANOTHER Mortal Kombat rumour:

Fergality
The excellent Sega Megazone magazine printed in their cheat section that Raiden in MK2 could do a finisher where he transformed into a Midget with a big head and it was called a 'Fergality' I remember trying the move they posted a lot of times and figured I just was rubbish at the game. Years later I looked it up and never found any info on it, and realised it must have been a joke.

Wait a minute... It's actually true, WTF!

[youtube:gwqkqpf7]mpVvu4vQj8o[/youtube:gwqkqpf7]

Quote from: "George"
I remember being accused of 'bullshit' in Mortal Kombat. I got to fight Reptile in the bottom of the spike stage (bridge) all my friends and cousins said I lied about it. Before the wonders of Wiki!

It would have been even weirder if you faught Ermac. I remember even the magazines didn't know if it was real or a rumour.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 05:46:53 am »
I had the impression mashing the start button would do something to accelerate the loading process. This was when the first CD consoles were released, I saw people doing it in shops.

Then I learned English.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 06:41:21 am »
I used to believe that Sonic was short, round, and had black eyes, but luckily SEGA was there to correct me!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 07:02:45 am »
Pokemon
Mashing B+up would turn any Pokeball into a master ball. Some people still say it works, but I was never able to do it.. I call bullshit..

Also, there was another rumor at my school about Sega, which in fact I started. I got this letter from Sega that showed the newest Megadrive and Saturn games. I also showed a portable gaming machine, kinda like a cross between a VMU and those old Tetris games. I told a few friends and so it started the rumor of a new Sega portable.
In fact, I never saw it afterwards.. I need to scan it to show it to you guys.
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:56:13 am »
I think I still have that little Tetris thing.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 09:40:49 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
I think I still have that little Tetris thing.
Is it from Sega? White with blue buttons?
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 09:48:32 am »
No brand that I can remember of. Definitely not Sega though. It was transparent and I think it had red buttons. Remind me next Saturday and I'll look for it.