Author Topic: Old Video Game rumours/lies you used to believe!  (Read 16699 times)

Offline matty

• Total Meseta: 1
    • http://twitter.com/matty_125
Re: Old Video Game rumours/lies you used to believe!
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 10:45:27 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Pokemon
Mashing B+up would turn any Pokeball into a master ball. Some people still say it works, but I was never able to do it.. I call bullshit..
I remember another one: Mew.
Jesus, whoever started the rumor where you have to get all eight badges, like, 50,000 times, use SWIM, then swallow the game and dump the game back in the system on the fifth full moon of the year to make Mew appear... was a jerk.

But, damn, half my friends tried that and the many different variations. If they would have just waited a while till they could d/l him...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 11:16:42 pm »
Actually there was an easy way. I think it was something like this:
You know that water passage into Pallet Town? If you go down on it you will see some tall grass on the right, but you can't get there. You have to come all the way from the Islands and somehow you would end up in there. Just hit a combination on the d-pad and mew would appear. I never tried this I don't remember why, I think it only worked in R/B and I had Y. But it was in some cheat guides at the time. I trust it worked..
SEG4GES

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 07:15:47 am »
Pokemon
Mashing B+up would turn any Pokeball into a master ball. Some people still say it works, but I was never able to do it.. I call bullshit..
Someone else mentioned this on the official SEGA forums.

Now I really do want to know if this is true or not. It seems to be a widespread rumored strategy.

Offline ribbitking17

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:33 am »
@carckdude LIES! I wasted hours of my life trying for that. This is what happens when you walk in the grass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNwE68tLdPI not this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7FInFSf ... re=related

Sonic the hegehog 2
My uncle told me about on act 1 of hilltop zone in the first cave all the way to the left where there is a wall tunnel that you cant go into. That one time he made it in there by flipping a switch in the wall tunnel all the way to the right on the ceiling. And in the tunnel on the left it took him to this really really hard special level. I asked him to show me it but he said he wouldnt because its really scary too and he didnt want to get in trouble with my grandma for showing me. So for years I tried getting in that shitty tunnel until I realized I was an idiot.

Sonic & Knuckles
The same uncle told me that in flying battery zone act 2 when you go down that...um..well spiraly thing (at 2:37 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoLTTrJCRB0) that if you made it back to the top there was a american flag there. I said I didnt believe him and wanted to prove him wrong but I obviously did believe since I kept trying to do it. That literally dosent make ANY sence, why would there be a flag there, an american flag of all things.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:36 am »
@ribbitking17
But the way I read it it didn't involve any glitch... curious. I did not know of this glitch =P

And that's a mean uncle lol

My uncle once opened up this really weird menu in Sonic 1 or 2.. Kinda like the character choosing screen of Sonic 2, but he accessed it during gameplay! I saw it with my own 6 year old eyes! He told me that it was to save the game, but I know that's bullshit. Still, does anyone know what it does or how to access it? Or are my childhood memories screwed up? lol
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 04:59:33 pm »
Closest thing  I can think of is that might have been the debug mode (Which was an awesome cheat). Apart from that, I don't know. Did he have a hacked ROM or something maybe?

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Cheat: Debug Mode
To enter Debug Mode, play these sounds from the level select screen: 1, 9, 9, 2, 1, 1, 2, 4. Press Start and hold A.

To start debugging, press B, then you can select any sprite in that level and put it on the screen. To select a different sprite, press A, and to place it on the screen, press C. Note that sprite selection is different from Zone to Zone. Also, instead of displaying the time elapsed, it displays the number of sprites currently on the screen.

http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/genesi ... edgehog-2/

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »
No, he did it in the MegaDrive. With a game bought in a regular store.
Sorry, I must have f'ed up my memories. I usually do that a bit due to my weak memory.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 05:36:07 pm »
It still could have been debug, that worked in retail versions and had some really weird looking effects.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 09:27:48 pm »
I used to believe that if you entered a secret button sequence when you locked on Sonic & Knuckles with Sonic 1, you could play the original Sonic the Hedgehog as Knuckles.
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline ribbitking17

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 04:12:14 am »
@ribbitking17
 are my childhood memories screwed up? lol
I have several memories of stuff that cant be true but I know it happened and other people saw it too!
In the game Chiki Chiki Boys on genesis I swear it use to be 2 player. My friends rember it being to player, my cousins rember it being two player, it was two player. Looking at the back of the game box and everything I can find on the web says it is and always has been single player. I remember having multiple strategies for 2 people, example there is a boss that is a dragon that spits out eggs that turn into baby dragons, strategy one player kills the eggs while the other kills the main boss. We had lots of different plans like this, it does not make sence!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:35 am »
Quote from: "ribbitking17"
@ribbitking17
 are my childhood memories screwed up? lol
I have several memories of stuff that cant be true but I know it happened and other people saw it too!
In the game Chiki Chiki Boys on genesis I swear it use to be 2 player. My friends rember it being to player, my cousins rember it being two player, it was two player. Looking at the back of the game box and everything I can find on the web says it is and always has been single player. I remember having multiple strategies for 2 people, example there is a boss that is a dragon that spits out eggs that turn into baby dragons, strategy one player kills the eggs while the other kills the main boss. We had lots of different plans like this, it does not make sence!

Wiki says it's two player
The game takes the form of a scrolling platform/beat 'em up game, with the players controlling the characters of the twins. The game can be played alone (in which case only one of the twins is present), or with two players together controlling one twin each.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Twins

Also that reminds me of another Dick Tracy one:
Junior Dick Tracy
The back of the box said 1~2 Players, but for the life of me I've never seen any evidence that Dick Tracy on Genesis supported 2 players. A friend told me that it DID have two player and that the second player could use Junior in the game, complete with his own weapons. Instead of a pistol he used a slingshot and instead of the Tommy Gun he used Cherry Bombs.
That was bullshit, but I still have no idea why the box says "1~2 Players".

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 06:21:47 am »
This is reminding me how disappointed I was when I arrived home after buying GT5:Prologue and noticed the box said 1P only. Then I boot it up and BAM 2P splitscreen.
SEG4GES

Offline Snowcat

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 04:59:57 am »
Pokemon

This!

also
You could get Mew by doing the missingno cheat and going to place where you got Mewtwo at an exact time and walking an exact amount of steps.... also, you could surf around the SS Ann if you didnt get in the beginning of the game to find mew.

You could make Lara Croft naked in Tomb Raider by entering a cheat

Mortal Kombat had a thing called Sextalities.... Yeah, what the hell was I thinking believing that!

I also once pressed a something on a Megadrive controller and opened up a level select menu on Sonic 3D I showed my brother but nobody else believed me... I still have no idea how I did it.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 06:17:06 am »
I remember the Lara Croft 'Nude Raider' rumours starting from CVG (I miss the old days of Sega Saturn Magazine and CVG....) April Fool's joke. They said that if you went all the way back to the start of the game after doing a certain thing and then tapped the buttons in the rythm of 'Wannabe' (!?) then she would lose her clothes.

Apparantly there WAS a way to unlock nude mode but it required like, 60 lines of code in an Action Replay cheat cart or something.

And I remember reading in Sega Megazone (another wonderful gaming magazine) that MKII was going to feature 'Nudalities' but it was considered too offensive. As they said: "But apparantly ripping someone's arms off isn't..."

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:21 am »
Sonic turns into Super Sonic when he goes into water!
When Sonic R came out there were lots of TV commercials for it. And in between the various clips of footage there was one where Sonic ran into water, coincidently the next one had Super Sonic running. I can't remember quite well if it blended well, but I remember everyone at my school talking about how Sonic would turn into Super Sonic if you went underwater.
There was some rumors of a Mega Drive version of the game. I don't know were that came from.
SEG4GES