Author Topic: PS3 controllers are not build to last.  (Read 11389 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
PS3 controllers are not build to last.
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:27:12 pm »
So I'm a guy who likes to play games to release stress. So when I'm playing FIFA and I press X and the guy doesn't pass the ball and consequentially I suffer a goal at the 86th minute and lose the cup final, the first thing I do is beat the shit out of the controller. Like me, many many people do this. We are not crazy people, we just like to be calm peaceful people and stress it out on videogames, so our controllers get beaten up real bad.

Now here's the thing.
I have a PS1 controller over there that's 12 years old. That's 12 years of intense use and beating. It doesn't have one single scratch. It works flawlessly, except for the analogs that have loosen up with time but that's normal.
And right in front of me now I have a 3 month old PS3 controller. It's broken. I can't put 2 of the screws on place or they fall into the controller, the triggers are acting funny, half the case doesn't close, the other half has it's plastic cracked, and the D-pad is as loose as a naked 18yo cheerleader with 7 martinis in her.
This with just a couple of punches.

I'm a very scientific guy, so out of curiosity I opened up both these controllers and I was freaking shocked. Maybe I'll post some pics later, but here's what I saw:
The DS3(Dual Shock 3) plastic is considerably less dense and heavy than the plastic used on DS1's exterior case.
The DS1 has some sort of board covering and supporting the front buttons, the DS3 doesn't. The DS3 has some very flimsy pieces of plastic supporting the dpad and front buttons. This results in them breaking and the buttons getting loose (like my dpad is), the chances of this happening on the DS1 are very slim.
The screws holding up the plastic case are thicker in the DS1. [EDIT: it also has 7 screws as opposed to DS3's 5]
The vibration motors are extremely tightly secured on the DS1, on the DS3 you can simply and easily pull them off.
There's considerably more plastic and supporting stuff on the DS1. The electronics are also more spaced and not concentrated on the central section of the controller like the DS1.
Then there's the triggers. The DS1 doesn't have triggers, it has simple shoulder buttons. It's a very simple mechanical design that leads to sometimes these getting stuck, but it also makes them virtually not breakable. They support on the actual casing, there are no moving parts. The DS3 however has these "triggers". Thing is they aren't really triggers! Mechanically they are just the exact same buttons with the flimsiest, most fragile little spring I have ever seen!! This spring isn't even supported onto anything! It's extremely easy to jump out of place and troublesome to put it back right. It seems like a really late afterthought. Not only that but the whole trigger mechanism has these supports that hold it in place, but these are made in a way that the whole trigger easily goes out of place. It's not real triggers, like the Dreamcast, like the Xbox.

Hell, my Xbox controller survived 3 fucking years of being thrown against the fucking wall! And besides this, it has real triggers, better analogs and a freaking great weight. Still, the PS3 controller is more expensive!

What the fuck is this shit!

There was a time when a Sony product meant really good build quality. Something that could get used and abused and still work decades later (like the DS1). So why are the new controllers so god awful?
Also, who is the fucking genius that thought having batteries on controllers was a good thing? Batteries lose about 50% of it's capacity in a short/medium period of time. In fact, that maybe isn't even a problem since these controllers DON'T EVEN LAST 3 MONTHS.

God what an awful build quality.

Do you guys have any hardware that disappointed you? Do share.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
Re: PS3 controllers are not build to last.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:38:05 pm »
My controllers take big beatings as well. Sega stuff is the one that truly resisted my rage throughout the years. My Wii and PS2 controllers feel odd after the beatings and I broke a 360 controller (actually, it's just the right stick that isn't working very well).

It's economy, I suppose. Back in the day everything was built to last. It's not like that these days, things last three, four years (if taken care of!), so the manufacturers can sell you a new unit. They don't even do repairs anymore, they'll just give you a new one if the old one has factory defects.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:53:33 pm »
I think the Xbox and Xbox 360 controllers feels much more solid than any controller out of last gen, even the Dreamcast ones.

The PlayStation 2 controller I have is in such shit shape. When I play games on it I need to squeeze the controller together constantly just for it to work. Still better than the GameCube controller, at least.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:12:45 pm »
I never have issues with controllers breaking down. Again, I don't fling them around and stuff.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »
I live in a 2 story house and once I kicked my Xbox 360 controller down the stairs accidentally but powerfully. The batteries flew out of it, but after I put them in again it was flawless.

The Dreamcast controllers have not taken much beating (hint: there is no FIFA for Dreamcast), but they usually resist well because of it's sheer electronic and mechanic simplicity.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 06:12:40 pm »
I try not to treat my controllers like shit, mostly because they cost 55 dollars to replace. (PS3, though now they come with a free game).

(Note: I never paid over 30 dollars for a controller. Sales ftw)

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:05:22 pm »
I've always been pretty careful with my controllers, but I've had a few issues over the years.
N64 analogue sticks tend to get a bit loose over time.  Thankfully, I never had a bunch of people play a Mario Party game on any of my controllers, so they're not in that bad of shape (the infamous palm roll on the stick).
The up direction on the d-pad of one of my Dreamcast controllers is a little unresponsive after the crate carrying job in Shenmue II.
A couple of the R2 triggers on my PS3 controllers are a bit looser than they used to be, but nothing too noticable.

Other than that, everything's in really good shape. Even my NES controllers.

As far as the cost difference on the PS3 controllers. It's worth noting that they use bluetooth and have rechargable batteries built in.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
As far as the cost difference on the PS3 controllers. It's worth noting that they use bluetooth and have rechargable batteries built in.
How is that a good thing? Bluetooth is just another thing waiting to stop working and the battery will wear out in time.
I'd rather have a great reliable sturdy controller than this flimsy weak shit. I also hate wireless, not reliable at all.

And PS3 controllers come with a game?
Here a controller costs about 55 euros. Just the controller. That's almost 70USD. It's crazy!
This one still works..barely. When I need a new one I'm getting a DS2 and a converter.
SEG4GES

Offline SOUP

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 10:44:11 pm »
Not saying it's good or bad. But it is more expensive than a device that relies on AA batteries.

Yeah, you can get a controller for $60 in packages with Greatest Hits titles (Uncharted, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, etc...)

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 11:18:40 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
Not saying it's good or bad. But it is more expensive than a device that relies on AA batteries.

Yeah, you can get a controller for $60 in packages with Greatest Hits titles (Uncharted, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, etc...)
You lucky dudes..

I'll tell you what is NOT expensive: good ol cords. No external power supply required, no unreliable wireless, no additional costs, just good meter and half cord.
SEG4GES

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 01:06:05 am »
I got my extra pad for 30 at Radio Shack or I would have never gotten the second controller. I like built in batteries and replacing them is now that hard

Offline Orta

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 05:35:24 am »
Actually Bluetooth could make the controller potentially cheaper. No cable, no extra connectors, just the chip itself and a small antenna. USB dongles cost $2 in this website I know. Sony certainly doesn't pay more than that to have it in the controllers.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:34:59 am »
I don't think I've had any issues with first party wireless controllers.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:49 am »
Quote from: "Orta"
Actually Bluetooth could make the controller potentially cheaper. No cable, no extra connectors, just the chip itself and a small antenna. USB dongles cost $2 in this website I know. Sony certainly doesn't pay more than that to have it in the controllers.
Bluetooth involves using a battery/batteries, which will increase the cost.

Also, simple meter and half cables like the ones controllers use are just as cheap. An Internet cable with meter and half is dirt cheap. A controller requires a less fancier cable..
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 01:24:37 pm »
Batteries are not that expensive, really. Only the top quality ones are. You probably don't get that on your PS3 controller or on your Xbox 360 "play and charge" kit. Controllers are this generation's memory cards: an easy way to rip off consumers. How many third party wireless controllers are there for each system?

If you are making a controller with a 1.5m cable you might as well not bother. Short cables are on par with Nintendo's Friend Codes in terms of stupidity. I'm guessing wired controllers used to be so so in terms of pricing, they had a proprietary port to connect to the system after all. Ethernet cables do not count, those are all purpose. They can even be used as belts or as whips. ;)