Author Topic: My second RROD  (Read 8398 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
My second RROD
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:48:42 am »
Yup... it struck tonight.  This one's out of warranty.  It's heavy, man.  I never had any other console break down on me.  But from some of the stories I've heard, I've actually had quite a lot fewer RRODs than other folks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: My second RROD
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:46:51 am »
I've had 5 RRODs.

It's so frustrating because they don't even give you a new console. They give you a refurbished console that previously RRODed. So it breaks in like 2 months. (Or in one case of mine, as soon as you get it sent to you.)

And it's so annoying that you have to re-download ALL the licences for your arcade games, DLC, and videos if you want to use the console offline.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:15:43 am »
I'm in my second system. I bought the console sometime in April 2008. It's one of those "Falcon" models, HDMI port and all, and it (only) lasted for over a year. If the trend continues, my current system will likely break by December. :lol: I hope it breaks sooner rather than later since my warranty won't last much longer.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:25 am »
I've just had 2 warrantee replacements, but they make sure I keep getting the old model without the HDMI port.  How thoughtful of them.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 02:44:00 pm »
I got my first one around February 2006. I cannot remember when it died on me, but it had to be more than a year after. With my first console, every game I owned -Except Sonic 06- had frozen on me at some point. Gears of War would freeze on me like every chapter even.

Microsoft replaced it fine and it only took three weeks to return, BUT the one they sent me would scratch my discs (!!!), so I got really upset because it was about the time Virtua Fighter 5 came out. Microsoft also replaced this one fine and they gave me some Microsoft Points and Xbox Live Gold months, so I did not complain too much.

My newest one I have had since SEGA Superstars Tennis came out (I remember because I had the game like five days before I could play it  :cry: ) and the second I turned that on it froze on me (!!!!!!), but I have not had a problem ever since.

I got a Wii a few years back expecting it to be as trustworthy as the GameCube, only to get the same issues, and in many cases many worse problems.

I have heard a lot of really, really bad stories about the RRODD, but personally I have not seen many of my local friends have any kinds of issues, at least nowhere near as bad as they have had with their Wiis and PlayStation 3s. Microsoft has always replaced everyone I have ever seen with complaints and I never heard of any issues yet with the Xbox 360 S, so these kinds of issues are clearly dying out. Nintendo and Sony are also getting better with their models and replacements, so I am not as worried as I was two years ago.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:47:45 am »
Mine has broken down 5 times, but each time MS has repaired it (NOT replaced) and the turn-around time from me mailing it to me playing it has never been more than 2 weeks I think.
Excellent service in Australia it seems.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:37:57 am »
Knock on wood:

I haven't have a RROD yet, but after reading all of the above I feel like it might happen! My 360 had disc read errors for the first few months of owning it, the suddenly it worked perfectly and has continued to do so for the past 12 months. Nothing to complain about for the past year, but the above stories make me think I have something to fear.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:23:55 pm »
I do not think so. The console updates Microsoft gives out every few months seem to improve the console's stability. Do not let it control your gaming life thinking the console will die any moment, because in that case you will just stop playing it.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 03:40:30 pm »
I bought a blu-ray player to alleviate the 360 of dvd player duties, but still use the 360 for netflix and gaming, though I play more XBLA games than disc games.

But yeah, it doesn't control my gaming life, not when I have a SEGA Pico to keep me busy!

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 11:01:00 pm »
Yup, it sucks. A lot!

I'm on my 3rd refurbished 360. I can't give it up because I have too many games and time put into that system. I hope to get my hands on the new S 360 before my current one dies so I can trade in something more valuable than a bulky paperweight.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:08:41 am »
I told a friend about mine, and he said that he basically uses his only for Netflix and had it RROD twice.  As for mine, these days I used it only 1-3 times a week.  Mine was made in 2006.  I think the newer ones (made since 2008-2009) are less prone to it though.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:20:52 am »
I bought mine refurbished in July 2009, not sure of the year of the unit though. Maybe that explains my luck (knock on wood, again).

Offline Centrale

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:56:43 pm »
Mine says the manufacturing date on the back near the ethernet port.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 01:17:30 pm »
Mine broke down twice. The last time it was replaced by a Jan. 2009 console.

And I haven 't had any issues since then.

The first time it broke down 2 years after I bought it.

I remember because I had bought one of those Game brand fans on the cheap, I was so pissed after it broke down, I was playing Eragon: The Official Video Game when my console RRODed on me.

Update:

Then a year later, I had just come back from a two week vacation in March and I wanted to try out Doom 3 just to test the backwards compatibility for it.

It worked OK, than I was playing Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust at the time, when I noticed that the screen froze. Tried a lot of games, they all froze.

Finally, after 4 or 5 more tries, the damn thing got a RROD. It broke down 2 days before my birthday. Then when I sent mine for repair, they replaced it with a new one.

Guess, I don't have much to complain, it only broke down twice and my new one has been working well for a long time.

Though my warranty is out now, so my choice is either cough up 80€ the next time it breaks down or try to get it fixed for cheaper on Worten.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 06:26:02 am »
I never had RROD, But I had other issues not covered by Microsoft's 3 year warranty.

Regardless, there is a fix for RROD if you are out of warranty, tis on the youtube. Just means you have to take the console apart and the 360 isn't the easiest thing to take apart, i mean, when it comes to opening the thing. It isn't rocket science, but it could have been a lot easier, especially if failure rate was going to be so high.

I suggest you look into fixing it yourself, it isn't that hard.