Author Topic: The SEGA Network Scrap Heap (photo group)  (Read 7056 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
The SEGA Network Scrap Heap (photo group)
« on: August 09, 2010, 07:25:50 am »

Visit the Photo Group Gallery

Hi all! I've started a Flickr group called "The SEGA Network Scrap Heap" for anybody and everybody to join. The Scrap Heap is a shared album open to all readers and writers from the Sega Network blogs. The purpose of the Scrap Heap is to collect photos of our SEGA collections to create, well, a scrap heap of SEGA consoles, games, books and collectibles. Notable items could be featured in future articles.

The only rules are that you may only upload photos of the actual items you own, no fuzzy Google image searches, and that the items must pertain to SEGA. Feel free to show off your shelf of PS2 games, as long as there are a good amount of SEGA games to be seen. No worries if a pesky Squaresoft or Nintendo game sneaks into the frame.(copied and pasted that last bit from the Saturn Junkyard post)

Check out the album and join the group here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1499886@N23/
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: The SEGA Network Scrap Heap (photo group)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:17:00 am »
Good idea I will contribute at some point.
Made by SEGA

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:12:07 pm »
I've got a picture of most of my Dreamcast games, minus all the fun controllers kicking around from when I got a new media rack a while ago. I'll see if I can track it down.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 03:35:20 pm »
Barry, you know I love you, but I hate how you name everything related to SEGA after garbage. I know it is not meant that they suck, but come on now, Scrap Heap? That is literally the worst two words you could combine together without being offensive or swearing to describe a collection of things.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 03:44:19 pm »
^just what I was thinking lol

The image Barry posted doesn't help much either :p
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »
Would you rather I name it after rainbows and clouds? Leave that bullshit for Nintendo fansites.

They're simply affectionate terms for the blogs that Gagaman, Tomleecee, Father K and myself have cobbled together. The blogs cover SEGA's "decommissioned" consoles and share any scrap of information pertaining to them, no matter how big (a top 100 list) or how small (garage sale finds). Junkyard seems to be a fitting term to me! And hey, it seems to be catchy as two more sites grew from the first Junkyard and since then we've all joined up to create the SEGA Network.

If one is in fact offended by the use of "junkyard" and "scrap heap" in relation to SEGA, a company which actively tried to be the dirty, edgy alternative console throughout the 90's, then I suggest they check this link: http://kotaku.com/159050/dirty-vintage-sega-ads

btw, the name "SEGA Source" offends me as I find alliteration to be really repugnantly repetitive. :P

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:24:47 pm »
u mad? i think he mad
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:58:51 pm »
nah, it's just that backseat blogging bugs Barry

especially when my methods have been proven successful, just sayin'

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 08:34:00 pm »
You're a pro Barry, we all just jealous.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 04:59:11 am »
You're a bro Barry, we all just trustful.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 05:00:09 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Would you rather I name it after rainbows and clouds? Leave that bullshit for Nintendo fansites.

They're simply affectionate terms for the blogs that Gagaman, Tomleecee, Father K and myself have cobbled together. The blogs cover SEGA's "decommissioned" consoles and share any scrap of information pertaining to them, no matter how big (a top 100 list) or how small (garage sale finds). Junkyard seems to be a fitting term to me! And hey, it seems to be catchy as two more sites grew from the first Junkyard and since then we've all joined up to create the SEGA Network.

I am not telling you to call it anything else, but certainly there are other and better ways to describe it than another form of garbage. Why not something closer to buried treasure? It gets the same point around, and it fits with the rebel-like attitude SEGA would use in the same way you mentioned, I mean, pirates are so cool. Meanwhile, it makes everything else seem like garbage in comparison.

If one is in fact offended by the use of "junkyard" and "scrap heap" in relation to SEGA, a company which actively tried to be the dirty, edgy alternative console throughout the 90's, then I suggest they check this link: http://kotaku.com/159050/dirty-vintage-sega-ads

Practically every game company has made gross-out humor related ads. Even Nintendo.

btw, the name "SEGA Source" offends me as I find alliteration to be really repugnantly repetitive. :P

I cannot remember most of the names I pitched around with people when making the site, but I decided to throw out any overly hardcore or nerdy sounding stuff because I wanted to the site to be closer to an encyclopedia for anyone interested than a hang out spot for the biggest and bestest SEGA fans, you know? I kind of just pushed the name out the door, and in hindsight I would have preferred to have an acronym that was a bit more original, but I will have fun with posting "FIRST@TSS" in some places in the future, so I am not too upset.  :lol:

Not saying mine is better than yours or anything, just putting my two cents in. It is not like you are fucksega.com or Old-Wizard.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 05:29:14 am »
I hear ya, everybody likes pirate treasure, though it seems you are one of the very few people that sees the junkyard names as a negative. Meanwhile a majority of the internet doesn't care/doesn't have a problem with it. Ah well, to each his own.

Anyway, let's keep the thread focused on the awesome images like the one from Jammy2049: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52852262@N ... 499886@N23

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:30:59 am »
The games in that pic are ordered freaking alphabetically!!

I have a nice (humble) collection of Sega games, a Sonic lamp and perfume and a vinyl LP of MegaDrive tunes (one of the 1500 made). But I have no Flickr account...
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 07:23:56 am »
Nothing wrong with a humble collection :) if you ever want to snap any photos and post 'em here, I can upload them. The Mega Drive LP sounds especially awesome, was that the one released to promote the Ultimate Collection for the HD consoles?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:05 am »
The Mega Drive LP sounds especially awesome, was that the one released to promote the Ultimate Collection for the HD consoles?
Yes that's the one :D
I've yet to listen to it, since I don't have a "disc-spinner" (from portuguese, I don't know the english name). But I know it's blue and cool  :afroman:

Maybe I'll post 'em here later then! Thanks Barry :D
SEG4GES