Author Topic: Takashi Iizuka wants to make a third NiGHTS  (Read 15249 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Takashi Iizuka wants to make a third NiGHTS
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 03:23:13 pm »
Aki-at and Orta summed it up nicely, some things are just inherintly bad ideas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 04:35:26 pm »
Giving Sonic Team a year to make the game was the executives fault. No time to tweak or focus group it. Not all of the ideas are bad in concept, just in execution. The voice acting was painful, but the rest could have been fine if executed properly.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 05:27:40 pm »
Quote from: "jonboy101"
Giving Sonic Team a year to make the game was the executives fault. No time to tweak or focus group it. Not all of the ideas are bad in concept, just in execution. The voice acting was painful, but the rest could have been fine if executed properly.

Glitches was not the problem with NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams and most of it was executed properly, but you still removed the score attack of the original game, this was such a major turn off for the fanbase that it is neither the fault of the executives or the deadline. The platforming was dreadful as well, the only time something like that is fine is during the opening segment of the stage, why add something that was never in the original and was not even the point of it? It played fine, it was just incredibly dull and tedious.

And keep in mind the original 360 version of the game was poorly recieved behind closed downs as well, that's one of the reason it changed platforms.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 06:10:04 pm »
SEGA screwed up when they thought it would be a good idea to give this such a heavy budget and allow so many elements that were basically perfect before be tweaked to shit. Everyone loved the first game, just port it to the XBLA and have NiGHTS in the backgrounds of some stuff still, this would have all been fine.

Sonic Team ruined the franchise's name though. The newer fans are strange and scaring away the old ones while the ones that are there now are just going to devour themselves or move on after not too long. No one will even care that much if another one gets made. It is a lost cause.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:20 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"

Glitches was not the problem with NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams and most of it was executed properly, but you still removed the score attack of the original game, this was such a major turn off for the fanbase that it is neither the fault of the executives or the deadline. The platforming was dreadful as well, the only time something like that is fine is during the opening segment of the stage, why add something that was never in the original and was not even the point of it? It played fine, it was just incredibly dull and tedious.

And keep in mind the original 360 version of the game was poorly recieved behind closed downs as well, that's one of the reason it changed platforms.

If the platforming were well thought out it would have been fine. There is absolutely no reason not to expand the premise of the game two generations down the line, so long as done properly. There is plenty of potential with platforming, if they put it into the game properly. I don't mean tweaking, necessarily, I mean doing it right. Coming up with some concept or raison d'etre.  If they had a good reason for platforming, story wise, and executed it properly (which is to say, designed it well), there is no reason not to include it. The problems are in execution, not conception. The only real concept problems I see are voice acting and the above lamented time attack. Just remaking the game is lazy.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 07:09:48 pm »
If the platforming were well thought out it would have been fine. There is absolutely no reason not to expand the premise of the game two generations down the line, so long as done properly.

Expand it in a way that is in no way part of the original formula? That is not very good for a series, let alone the first sequel for the title. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles expanded in everywhere possible, that is to compliment the original gameplay, NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams did not.

There is plenty of potential with platforming, if they put it into the game properly. I don't mean tweaking, necessarily, I mean doing it right. Coming up with some concept or raison d'etre.  If they had a good reason for platforming, story wise, and executed it properly (which is to say, designed it well), there is no reason not to include it. The problems are in execution, not conception. The only real concept problems I see are voice acting and the above lamented time attack.

Whether there is potential in platforming or not is not the point, this is not what was core to the success of the original NiGHTS was, none of us remember it for the platforming. If they wished to do that, apply it to another series that desperately needs it now (See Sonic the Hedgehog) but NiGHTS was not in anyway designed around platforming.

And even if we do want to discuss platforming, the team that developed NiGHTS happened to develop platforming stages for Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog, both games with bigger budget and longer development time than NiGHTS, however neither showed any real quality when it came to a platformer.

Just remaking the game is lazy.

And that is not what I asked for. But changing the direction of the game is not the way to go, it's what caused the eventually and total decline of Sonic the Hedgehog. The original NiGHTS in no way was a platformer, why should they add that in? Just because it's two generation from the original? Might as well ask for guns and driving cars and allow Ryo to run people over in Shenmue 3 when it comes out for the Xbox 720

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:39 pm »
The platforming was an extra feature in the original NiGHTS. It was most likely the last thing they added to the game too I think.

The problem with the platforming in Journey of Dreams was that it was forced and was specifically the opposite of what all of the fans wanted to do. To make matters worse they even made it way less interesting altogether by boxing in the sections you can go to as the children. What was the point of this? I can only think it is to force players to try that section out less than they would otherwise.

It is just Sonic Team's style to constantly add weird shit that no one asked for. The masks in Journey of Dreams is a good example. They spent a lot of time working on that and no one liked it in the end.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 09:48:55 pm »
Aki- You didn't ask for it, but it seemed like SU did. I may be mistaken by reading too fast. If I did I'm sorry.

Sonic Heroes wasn't a terrible platformer. It got a bad rap at the time because it wasn't up to snuff with Adventure 1 or 2. It posted average to respectable scores (7s), and was the best selling Sonic game till, what, Olympic Games? And Shadow's problems had more to do with guns, voice acting (and the prerequisite script) and glitches.

The difference between a platformer and whatever you consider NiGHTS to be isn't that significant. Its not the leap from say Sonic to Shadow. It isn't that hard at all to imagine having to rescue NiGHTS or something as one of the characters in a well thought out platforming segment of the game. Especially if its a windy level, ala whatever the hell the name of the second act in Sonic Adventure was, where you spend a good bit of time dicking with vents. I'm not saying it should be a significant portion of the game, but its completely feasible, in my opinion. It could very well compliment the...er...not platforming NiGHTS sections.

Likewise, the masks could have been a very fun and interesting element to the gameplay, had they been more varied and put to more interesting use. You'll notice a similar gimmick with Sonic Colours, and thus far it doesn't seem to be a very despised feature of the game.

I'm not saying that games should mimic one another - Shenmue shouldn't become Grand Theft Auto. I am saying that I wouldn't expect Shenmue 3 to be the exact same gameplay as Shenmue 1 or 2 with better graphics. There is new technology at their disposal. They can use it. Using new resources and capabilities on a gaming platform doesn't mean masquerading behind more successful franchises. It means expanding a making something unique.

If the masks and platforming had been well thought out and more seamless, I tend to doubt people would complain much. Its like saying that Sonic Adventure was shit because it was too adventury and there wasn't enough platforming and it wasn't a sidescroller. Sonic Adventure is a pretty good game, as I'm sure you'll attest, but you'll notice it adds to the formula. The problems start when the additions become half baked.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »
Most of your points do not make sense. The biggest reason the masks were stupid in Journey of Dreams was because NO ONE asked for something like this. Heroes and Shadow were not shitty because they had glitches and bad voice acting, they were just bad games. Everything attempted in these games could have been done years ago on different hardware. The only reason they did not have whole sections of a Sonic game where you need to drive a convertible car through boiling green oil is because that is literally retarded.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Most of your points do not make sense. The biggest reason the masks were stupid in Journey of Dreams was because NO ONE asked for something like this. Heroes and Shadow were not shitty because they had glitches and bad voice acting, they were just bad games. Everything attempted in these games could have been done years ago on different hardware. The only reason they did not have whole sections of a Sonic game where you need to drive a convertible car through boiling green oil is because that is literally retarded.

Just because no one asked for something doesn't make it shitty after the fact. Who the hell asked for Whisps? And really, how terrible does that look? I believe I've read some fairly positive feedback on them, even on this site. I've read articles stating that between Sonic Colours, which no one asked for, and Sonic 4, which everyone did, Sonic Colours is looking to be the better game. While that may not be true when the scores come in, that seems to actually be opined by people, which in and of itself is extraordinary to me.

And they're (the whisps) the exact same gimmick as the masks. The same thing. Just a different presentation. Its just a powerup. The Masks just let you do weird shit. They should have thought of better stuff to do, but honestly, its neither uncommon, nor is it bad in conception. The problem comes in execution.

It is entirely possible to make a fun game where NiGHTS has different masks which allow him to access different parts of the level or do different things. The trick is to justify it, which is where Sonic Team failed.

You're treating your subjective opinion as fact. Heroes was not a bad game, it was a mediocre to decent game. Averages in the 6s to 7s, and millions sold, or a more successful Sonic Unleashed. It was much better than a lot of recent nonsense, such as 06. Both its sales and its scores support that.  You may opine that its shitty, but you honestly can't presume to speak for everyone.

Sonic driving in a platformer is dumb, because its redundant, but the green oil isn't.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 06:08:08 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Heroes and Shadow were not shitty because they had glitches and bad voice acting, they were just bad games.
Whoa, putting Shadow and Heroes in the same level there? As far as I remember, Sonic Heroes was considered a good game with a silly story.
SEG4GES

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 09:57:55 am »
Well as long as he does n't touch Burning Rangers, he can run NIGHTS into the ground for all I care.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:11 am »
Aki- You didn't ask for it, but it seemed like SU did. I may be mistaken by reading too fast. If I did I'm sorry.

If you play the Sonic stages you'll notice that the platforming is far and few in between. Furthermore the platforming with the werehog is mostly boring and tedious as well as down right frustrating and cheap most of the time

Sonic Heroes wasn't a terrible platformer. It got a bad rap at the time because it wasn't up to snuff with Adventure 1 or 2..

It was a terrible platformer, it didn't get even worse rap because it came after those two games, if it came after Shadow the Hedgehog, Silver or Sonic Unleashed, it would have scored even lower, back than Sonic had good will to his name.

Sonic Heroes has terrible level designs as soon as you go past stage 2, horrible glitches, some of the worst boss battles in Sonic games at the time and the team gameplay was shoddy at the best of times.

I really have to wonder how much you've actually played of that game to defend it's level design.

It posted average to respectable scores (7s), and was the best selling Sonic game till, what, Olympic Games?.

See my previous point. I have always disliked Sonic Heroes since it was released and I am sure if you check this forum, many too would dislike it. Compared to other platformers from Nintendo, Sony and Naughty Dog, the end product was lacking.

And Shadow's problems had more to do with guns, voice acting (and the prerequisite script) and glitches.

Shadow's major problems may not have been level design, but it still was a problem, again I have to ask how much you've seen or played of the game?

The difference between a platformer and whatever you consider NiGHTS to be isn't that significant. Its not the leap from say Sonic to Shadow.

Please enlighten me how many times you are forced to jump in the original NiGHTS outside of playing as the two children, who then didn't even do much jumping.

The whole reason the genre is called platforming is because the character is meant to jump from one platform to another, there lies the platforming. To say there is not a significant difference tells me you did not play NiGHTS or many platforming games before. The main point  in a platformer is jumping, this is not and never was the point of NiGHTS. It's a much bigger leap than Sonic to Shadow, infact it's leaping chasms.

It isn't that hard at all to imagine having to rescue NiGHTS or something as one of the characters in a well thought out platforming segment of the game. Especially if its a windy level, ala whatever the hell the name of the second act in Sonic Adventure was, where you spend a good bit of time dicking with vents. I'm not saying it should be a significant portion of the game, but its completely feasible, in my opinion. It could very well compliment the...er...not platforming NiGHTS sections.

How do you compliment free flow flying with platforming? You just cannot. I do not understand why you think platforming would be a good idea in a game that is not and was never know about platforming. It would be like adding fighting in Sonic and you know that was not received too well, even with the fact that it happens to be okay for the most part.

Likewise, the masks could have been a very fun and interesting element to the gameplay, had they been more varied and put to more interesting use. You'll notice a similar gimmick with Sonic Colours, and thus far it doesn't seem to be a very despised feature of the game.

They could have, but even how they were used was good for the most part, however people do not want to random be forced into changing into these forms, which NiGHTS unfortunately did and something Sonic Colours fortunately is not doing.

But I think if you asked people would they prefer Sonic without the wisp powers? Most would answer yes they would.

I'm not saying that games should mimic one another - Shenmue shouldn't become Grand Theft Auto. I am saying that I wouldn't expect Shenmue 3 to be the exact same gameplay as Shenmue 1 or 2 with better graphics.

But the changes I made about Shenmue is less drastic than adding platforming to NiGHTS? Shenmue is already an open city for players to explore and interact, surely the next logical step would be allowing them to interact with weapons and cars? Whilst NiGHTS is about free flowing flght in a 2D plane, how you could move onto platforming from there I just do not understand.

Using new resources and capabilities on a gaming platform doesn't mean masquerading behind more successful franchises. It means expanding a making something unique.

Or you just do not make the sequel and instead opt for a new IP. By expanding a title, you force certain segments, mainly what NiGHTS is known for, with less and less gameplay of this. This is not what the fanbase wanted but was forced by the platforming.

And 3D platforming was possible on the SEGA Saturn, see Croc.

If the masks and platforming had been well thought out and more seamless, I tend to doubt people would complain much. Its like saying that Sonic Adventure was shit because it was too adventury and there wasn't enough platforming and it wasn't a sidescroller. Sonic Adventure is a pretty good game, as I'm sure you'll attest, but you'll notice it adds to the formula. The problems start when the additions become half baked.

The problems started from Sonic Adventure, not when they became half baked. People were complaining about Knuckles treasure hunting, Gamma's shooting etc because this was just not the point of Sonic, those complaints carried onto Sonic Adventure 2 but after that, the quality of those ideas started to drop too.

It did not however change the fact some were displeased with the extra additions to the gameplay. If you want to add stuff like Gamma and Knuckles' treasure hunting, it is all well and good, however this is better for new IPs or spinoffs, just expanding the series into something that would slowly make the main draw lesser and lesser is not the way to go.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 10:12:42 am »
Quote from: "Revenge Of JM"
Well as long as he does n't touch Burning Rangers, he can run NIGHTS into the ground for all I care.

Stop giving him ideas Joe!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:08 am »
There is one thing that I don't understand though..

What's wrong with making a bad sequel? It's not like the older games aren't still great. What should we be concerned about? I've been thinking about this and I think it doesn't really matter. Sure I may be disappointed with the new game, but the same happens with new IPs.
SEG4GES