Author Topic: Takashi Iizuka wants to make a third NiGHTS  (Read 15247 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Takashi Iizuka wants to make a third NiGHTS
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 11:17:03 am »
Quote from: "crackdude"
What's wrong with making a bad sequel? It's not like the older games aren't still great. What should we be concerned about? I've been thinking about this and I think it doesn't really matter. Sure I may be disappointed with the new game, but the same happens with new IPs.

Silver and Shadow do not take away from the design of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

However I will not defend bad games and something I do not expect to see from SEGA's premier series (But this is now talking about Sonic the Hedgehog, instead of NiGHTS as we were doing so)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 11:34:22 am »
Yes. I see where you're getting.
But it's not the case of defending bad games, it's the outrage games like NiGHTS Wii (which on itself wasn't a bad game) deploy on the fans.

I think that if they want to make a sequel they should. And fans should have in mind that it may come out good or bad (just like any other game), but never undignify the old game.
SEG4GES

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »
As a psychologist, I feel I should just say one thing the Persona (Masks) are important, the game revolves around Carl Jung's Interpretation of Dreams (or one of his less known apprentice), the bulk of Jung's work is on Personafication and the masks we were in life.

I have only studied jung for a grand total of 6 hours (spread across 2 weeks) in part of Personality Psychology, and it was very hard to comprehend what he was going for in his theory, but I can quickly pick up a lot of his art and in NiGHTS and it's sequel.

Even Yuji Naka (who probably left cause of NiGHTS 2), discussed the ability to acquire a persona in a positive light in his interview with that NiGHTS fan site.

If I were to add something negative for the game I have to say it has to be the extreme emphasis on the European setting, Jung travelled the world and his theories consisted of what humans have in common across the globe.

Quote from: "Aki-at"
What's wrong with making a bad sequel? It's not like the older games aren't still great. What should we be concerned about? I've been thinking about this and I think it doesn't really matter. Sure I may be disappointed with the new game, but the same happens with new IPs.

Silver and Shadow do not take away from the design of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

However I will not defend bad games and something I do not expect to see from SEGA's premier series (But this is now talking about Sonic the Hedgehog, instead of NiGHTS as we were doing so)

But they do bring down the Sonic name!
That is what's bad, this is a general example and it is something I've only heard I have never seen any Indiana Jones movie, but supposedly the franchise was great before Spilberg decided to give it a sequel. Now days people find the entire franchise crap.

This is what I hear, as some one who is not even a fan I wouldn't bother even watching any movie. Same for NiGHTS it was a sleeper's hit, and people from time to time were discovering the magic, now people will be less intrested.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 03:35:13 pm »
There is one thing that I don't understand though..

Remember how we were talking about how major sites/reviewers/casual fans think Sega is shit?

Bad sequels like JoD is the reason why. Not to mention, it kills off the chance of making a GOOD sequel usually, or if not, it'll hurt the sales of any future games sometimes.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 04:18:06 pm »
Oh, I see.

Thanks for the reasoning guys. I wasn't quite looking at the big picture.
SEG4GES

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »
1. I'm not entirely sure how the werehog correlates to what we were talking about on this front. I was of the impression we were discussing just remaking NiGHTS, which I said I was something I thought SU said he wanted.

2. I'm not entirely sure. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Adventure DX were very widely panned. I'm not saying Heroes was a good game, I'm saying it was mediocre. It was hardly as shitty as some of the other things that would come after it. I played through Sonic Heroes once, I'm guessing 7 years ago, so while I may not be the expert you are, I have played the game, and don't remember it being significantly better or worse than Sonic Adventure or its sequel. It solved a lot of the problems of the Adventure games, such as the Knuckles stages, by simply having him be part of the platforming element, which was a good idea, all things considered. Some things, such as the continued inclusion of voice acting and a faulty camera are still in place. The issue is it came 5 years after Sonic Adventure first came out.

I would never say Heroes was as bad as Shadow (Which I also have much less experience than you with apparently) and Sonic 06 (which I honestly didn't dick around with beyond the first few stages). Maybe I'm underestimating Shadow?

3. I'm not saying I loved Sonic Heroes, I just think that you're overstating its lack of quality. I believe it was a 6 or 7 game, and would have scored it in that range were I a judge. It shouldn't have averaged 4s and 5s, like more recent efforts. I never said it was as good as something Nintendo or Naughty Dog puts out, though I'm not sure its fair to compare Sonic Team to Naughty Dog or Nintendo, as those are stable studios working on their own hardware (more or less) where Sonic Team was

a. Being forced to develop on non-Sega hardware, which is in itself demoralizing, especially after working on Dreamcast hardware since, what, 1997? And then with the XBOX flopping in Japan, being forced to work on the Playstation 2, which as well as being the system of the enemy, was also a pain in the ass to program for, and you were being forced to do it at break neck speed. Companies like Konami, Capcom and Square had head starts of years, which Sega was forced to compete with.

b. Part of a sudden merger into Sammy.

c. Made 1st Party again, and thereby stripped of the autonomy they'd enjoyed for five years.

d. Merged with UGA, which had a very different style, and inevitably lead to conflicting hierarchies. You'll notice that save Project Rub, UGA staff have been relegated to Sonic spinoffs?  

I would like to see any one of those companies churn out decent games under that environment. Look at Rare. They were only subject to a sale, or a quarter of what Sega/Sonic Team was, and see the difference between Conker and Ghoulies. I'd hazard the remark that Rare has yet to recover, though they've done better than Sonic Team, thus far.

And to the original argument, all those problems are the fault of management, not the individual studios.

4. Free flow flying is a bit of a stretch if I remember NiGHTS correctly. The game was after all on a 2D plane. It seemed to me that you were on a reasonably set course in that in order to score you went through hoops and the like. Sure you can go left or right or something, but that's not really that different from going to the left or right platform in a 3D platformer. That's like calling Sonic free flow running because he can go in a number of directions. While its true, you'll also have a correspondingly terrible score, which defeats the purpose of the game. Hell, there were even arrows in NiGHTS telling you which way to go. And like in a platformer, you go up or down and side to side. The only difference is instead of jumping, you zoom up, so there is no pressing A or whatever.

If you call NiGHTS free flow flying seriously, and not as a bit of marketing Kilanski used to market the game in 96, then I have to wonder if you really understand the definition of the word free?  :mrgreen:

Remind me, Aki, how many times playing Panzer Dragoon Zwei, back in good old 1996, did you get the inclination that the sequel would obviously be an RPG? Where is the connection between a rail shooter and an RPG? They are literally as far apart on the spectrum as I can imagine. Yet it seemed to work fine.

If you can make a rail shooter into an RPG (Panzer Dragoon Saga), or a rail shooting zombie game into an educational game (Typing of the Dead), or a traditional RPG with abundant story into a hack n slash with virtually no story (Phantasy Star Online), I don't see why you couldn't make something that has many basic elements of a platformer (such as more or less pre-determined paths, the timer and so on) into a game that has good platforming elements.

It can be done. I'm not saying they did it right, I'm simply saying that a very good and well thought out game could exist in which there is both platforming and "free flow flying" and you would not utter one word of complaint because the game was good. Otherwise I'd never hear the end of how Panzer Dragoon Saga, or Shining Force, or whatever else has your panties in a wad, have you drifted from the series roots and the like. And Shining Force is an even better example here because we aren't talking about a series (as the original Shining Force only had one predecessor). We're talking about the canon of all of one game.

In fact, I would go so far as to say I highly doubt you honestly give a fuck about genre if the game is good, and changing genre and making a good game are not mutually exclusive, as something like Saga points out. Its an issue of quality, and I think deep down you know that. Or am I to assume that we can't make an adventure out of say...Virtua Fighter, change the names a bit and call it something like...I don't know...Shenmue? And I understand that that specific example evolved a bit beyond a Virtua Fighter Adventure, but you get the general premise of my point I trust.

The platforming doesn't have to be the overriding element, but it can exist, and it can exist well.  

5. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. When did I defend Shadow? All I said was Heroes was not a terrible game, merely mediocre. For an Englishman, how much English do they actually teach you in school? I really have to ask if you're not just an American masquerading.

6. Sonic the Fighters was a decent game and was fairly well received, thank you very much. It was no Virtua Fighter, but it'll do. On the same topic, as I'm sure you know, there is also a Sonic RPG, a few racers (both on foot and in cars), a puzzle game, a few adventure games, a maze, a party game, a tennis game (with other Sega characters to flesh it out), two games at the olympics, and so on and so on and so on. House of the Dead has ventured into the land of education, pinball and brawler/adventure.

Just goes to show you how flexible Sega can be.

7. No, and I agree with you there. They should not have forced you to use the masks. That was poor choice.

I would actually prefer the whisp powers, IF they are done correctly and are optional, clever and fun, because they allow the game to open up a little more and they add variation to a 20 year old routine.

8. I'm not saying they should keep the additions with each game, and just build them on to one another, so that the third game is flying, plus my platforming, plus, say, racing.

I'm saying each game should be unique, and while there should be games that stick to the bare bones basic premise of the series, there should also be games that do things differently. That's one thing I like about the Shining series.

We'll say one main instalment and one odd game (like my platforming) per generation. Part of the problem with Sega is they make sequels once in a blue moon, and only milk one or two games. I don't believe JoD, as it was advertised as NiGHTS 2, should have had platforming, but that there is nothing wrong with some NiGHTS game having it. They should simply make more of them. Some bare bones, rock ribbed and to the basics, and some with weird ideas to play with.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »
For reference, according to GameRankings (which compiles the scores of pro-reviews):
Sonic Adventure: 86.5
Sonic Adventure DX: 64.0
Sonic Adventure 2: 83.8
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: 72.6
Sonic Heroes: 75.4
Shadow: 53.5
Sonic 06: 48.7
Sonic Unleashed: 61.9

The regular media considers games with less than 50 to be awful, between 50-60 to be bad, 60-70 to be mediocre, 70-80 good, 80-90 very good. Take your conclusions.

Can we at least keep Sonic out of this thread from now on? We discuss Sonic in every other thread already lol
SEG4GES

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »
While we are partying off-topic I would just like to say that Sonic 06 is way better than Shadow, COME ON!

Shadow only had to make one control scheme work and that was Shadows.

Sonic 06 had 9 greatly different control schemes, and was also 10 times longer.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"

Of course it was, just time those loading screens.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 10:51:46 pm »
Not going to reply to all of what Jonboy said, because holllllly shit that is a long post, but there are some things I think need to be said.

Quote from: "jonboy101"
a. Being forced to develop on non-Sega hardware, which is in itself demoralizing, especially after working on Dreamcast hardware since, what, 1997? And then with the XBOX flopping in Japan, being forced to work on the Playstation 2, which as well as being the system of the enemy, was also a pain in the ass to program for, and you were being forced to do it at break neck speed. Companies like Konami, Capcom and Square had head starts of years, which Sega was forced to compete with.

I can understand it all being so hard to instantly switch to new platforms, but again it mostly comes down to Sonic Team just not being that great anymore. All of their games have had good graphics, sure, but they almost always mess up stuff because they are just not really good at planning and finishing off ideas. Sure for Heroes most fans wanted to play as all of the Sonic characters and have it based more around Sonic's levels from the Adventure games, they did not want to have to search for new moves but wanted as many as possible and wanted "Classic" art and less story emphasis too, but when it all came together people were mad that Sonic was only like 7% of the game, the levels were just the same shit over and over again, the controls were overly complex and barely worked, the art was completely based on earlier games and looked horribly uninspired and the story adds MORE holes to an already shockingly confusing plot to begin with.

One of the biggest issues here is that from all of the negative responses, Sonic Team just always starts over with each game and brings in new engines, styles, settings and gameplay. With this they will actually somewhat succeed with Sonic Colors because they are actually basing almost all of it on Sonic Unleashed ideas and just building it off of this.

But that is another issue! Sonic Unleashed played nothing like any Sonic game before it. Sure some of us like it enough, but this really did upset many of the fans a lot. Because they continuously change everything they really are overthinking and overworking just about everything, making and erasing fans with every release to the point it is just completely impossible to make a game in the series half of the fanbase even likes anymore.

I'll come in here and say while Shadow's game was a rancid piece of shit, I actually have kind of a soft spot for it. It is so strangely bad that I kind of like it. I am not really hating on Sonic Team because I think they suck, I am hating on them because they seem to always miss the point and think they can always make any game they work on way better than it ever has been when almost everything they need to fix is obvious to anyone. It is just pathetic to watch.

4. Free flow flying is a bit of a stretch if I remember NiGHTS correctly. The game was after all on a 2D plane. It seemed to me that you were on a reasonably set course in that in order to score you went through hoops and the like. Sure you can go left or right or something, but that's not really that different from going to the left or right platform in a 3D platformer. That's like calling Sonic free flow running because he can go in a number of directions. While its true, you'll also have a correspondingly terrible score, which defeats the purpose of the game. Hell, there were even arrows in NiGHTS telling you which way to go. And like in a platformer, you go up or down and side to side. The only difference is instead of jumping, you zoom up, so there is no pressing A or whatever.

Saying it is a platformer because you go in all different directions is like you are describing any genre! Just because the game is based on a 2D plane does not really change anything. If NiGHTS is anything, it is closest to a time attack racing game.

Quote from: "cube_b3"
While we are partying off-topic I would just like to say that Sonic 06 is way better than Shadow, COME ON!

Shadow only had to make one control scheme work and that was Shadows.

That is a strange way to look at it. It is like informing someone that having more types of feces smeared on your wall is way better than just one kind.

And in the case of Shadow, there were actually more control setups. There were tons of different kinds of vehicles and themed levels, the second player controls were different too depending on the characters. The length is not really a fair thing to compare because it takes multiple playthroughs to see most of the content.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 09:02:53 am »
I wasn't arguing the case that its a platformer. I was arguing that its similar to a platformer, which, indeed, used to have a time element thrown in. And I'm going to reply to the rest of the post later.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:52 am »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Quote from: "Revenge Of JM"
Well as long as he does n't touch Burning Rangers, he can run NIGHTS into the ground for all I care.

Stop giving him ideas Joe!
Only wish it were, BR's been up for renewal for a while now, just certain circumstances have gotten in the way.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 10:41:59 am »
I wasn't arguing the case that its a platformer. I was arguing that its similar to a platformer, which, indeed, used to have a time element thrown in. And I'm going to reply to the rest of the post later.

I'll reply later when I have more time, but time limits have existed for fighters, racers, heck, almost everything at some point has had a time limit attached to it.

But it has nothing to do with being a platformer or not, it's something that came about from the arcades, not platform games.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 12:09:54 pm »
It won't make a difference.  While the first game is a masterpeice its leagacy has been soiled with the Wii edition and the cash in PS2 version, so any new edition won't
add or takeaway from it being considered a great game ruined by lousy sequels. If sega can still make monies from the IP, why not.

Offline jonboy101

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 10:17:41 pm »
Its really not worth fighting over.