Author Topic: Sega to delist bad Sonic titles  (Read 14467 times)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sega to delist bad Sonic titles
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 06:08:32 pm »
Anyway, I guess the new Sonic the Hedgehog brand manager takes his job very seriously.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 07:21:58 pm »
Quote from: "SOUP"
I really liked Unleashed :(.
Me too. I'm a little relieved to hear that they're not severing ties with the game just yet. It really doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

Why are they blushing? Two males blushing never ends well on the internet.
Well, if it was done by the artist I'm thinking of, then it probably ended with Sonic and Shadow, um... let's call it "going on a friendship adventure". xD

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 07:36:27 pm »
Sonic Unleashed got too much hate for sure, but I think it is mostly due to it being one of the most frustrating and unfair platformers I have ever seen in my life. The rest of it had to do with unappealing concepts and general bias.

Actually bias is most of it. There is no reason in the world a game like that should be getting scores like 3/10. I expect games like Sonic Colors to get similar treatment.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Sonic Unleashed got too much hate for sure, but I think it is mostly due to it being one of the most frustrating and unfair platformers I have ever seen in my life.
Pshhh, the game isn't that hard. It's a bit challenging, sure, but the challenge is what helps make it fun. ^___^

Try beating stuff like Super Magnetic Neo or the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy on the NES, then we'll talk about whether or not Sonic Unleashed is extraordinarily hard.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:24 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
Sonic Unleashed got too much hate for sure, but I think it is mostly due to it being one of the most frustrating and unfair platformers I have ever seen in my life.
Pshhh, the game isn't that hard. It's a bit challenging, sure, but the challenge is what helps make it fun. ^___^

Try beating stuff like Super Magnetic Neo or the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy on the NES, then we'll talk about whether or not Sonic Unleashed is extraordinarily hard.

"Frustrating and unfair" is not the same thing as just a generally hard game. I beat all of the Ninja Gaiden games fine without much complaints, but stuff like this:

[youtube:1mmi7lgy]GMty0PE8RLs[/youtube:1mmi7lgy]

Is just downright bullshit. You literally HAVE to memorize everything in there perfectly to do it at all, and do not get me started on S ranking that bullshit. It is just horribly bad design.

That would be fine if this was not designed as a kids game... But it totally is. Not many people would find gameplay like that very enjoyable, but on top of that kind of story... It is just hard to market good.

A lot of Sonic Team games have been really awkwardly frustrating lately, it is just their style to have bad game design.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 09:26:19 pm »
It was the pipe jumping as the Werehog in Eggmanland that really pissed me off. Balancing sections were B.S. in God of War, and they were even worse in Unleashed.
Other than that, I enjoyed it immensely. But that section was just not fun at all.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 01:21:24 am »
Bayonetta is hard. Sonic Unleashed is just bullshit. Not only the level design was extremely frustrating and unfair (ie, cheap), there were so many glitches that caused a death for the stupidest reason...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 02:13:07 am »
Yeah, dying because you weren't good enough is fine (God Hand for example), but most deaths in Sonic Unleashed were due to bad camera/controls/instant deaths that you can't predict etc.

Anyway, I feel theres a bit of BS in this, those titles were probably quit/de-listed because they weren't selling anymore. Sega probably thought, "Hey lets pretend we give a shit about Sonic!" and made a press release about how much they love the fans and don't want them buying sub-average games.... then they release Sonic Free Riders.

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 02:14:58 am »
I really enjoyed Unleashed.
I think if they patched the werehog levels so there was a shadow under him at all times and made the bad guys have half health then the game would have been better received.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 03:37:24 am »
"Frustrating and unfair" is not the same thing as just a generally hard game. I beat all of the Ninja Gaiden games fine without much complaints ...

You literally HAVE to memorize everything in there perfectly to do it at all, and do not get me started on S ranking
Would you try to tell me that you didn't have to memorize anything with the Ninja Gaiden trilogy? That you just breezed through all those games on your very first attempt? :roll: Yeah, maybe if you used an emulator and cheated with save states, I'd believe it.

I had a blast with Sonic Unleashed. All of the later speed stages were awesome, and Eggmanland was like the cherry on top. It is a bit old-school hard, but then, I love games like that. <3 If I had been able to beat every stage without losing a life then it wouldn't have been quite as enjoyable.

I know you generally don't like challenging games, though. :P

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 11:47:30 am »
Unleashed is amazing. It's meant to be played like a "score attack" kind of game, which is why you have to memorize everything. If you mess up, the game will kick your ass. That's what I love about it. It's a good challenge.

Plus, it's addicting to try to perfect your run and find the perfect route.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 12:35:29 pm »
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 01:24:39 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"
Unleashed is amazing. It's meant to be played like a "score attack" kind of game, which is why you have to memorize everything. If you mess up, the game will kick your ass. That's what I love about it. It's a good challenge.

No offence but I believe you meant Ikaruga?

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 02:37:09 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Yeah, dying because you weren't good enough is fine (God Hand for example), but most deaths in Sonic Unleashed were due to bad camera/controls/instant deaths that you can't predict etc.

Anyway, I feel theres a bit of BS in this, those titles were probably quit/de-listed because they weren't selling anymore. Sega probably thought, "Hey lets pretend we give a shit about Sonic!" and made a press release about how much they love the fans and don't want them buying sub-average games.... then they release Sonic Free Riders.

What if free riders, is good?

After SASSR I thought the series was axed, so it is good to see it return.

Also kids can somehow playthat game phenomenally better then us, they are more adapted to Wii. I was amazed at how well my lil cuz played Black Knights, he defeated Arthur with HIS EYES CLOSED and just heard the sounds.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 02:38:25 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. SEGA Monkey"

Totally agreed.

Old-School Hard 4Ever.