Author Topic: Keiji Inafune on utlizing Western developers  (Read 10606 times)

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Keiji Inafune on utlizing Western developers
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:30:14 pm »
4G: So what are the cons of using western developers?

KI: First, you can't just leave them alone. Even with technical skills, they often lack adequate ideas and concepts for utilizing those skills. That's exactly why I'm such a good match for them. (laughs) They don't have to be a top-notch development studio. I just want to work with a team that has good potential and a positive work attitude.
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=141103

Yay! ^__^ Glorious Nippon is comin' for our salvation!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Re: Keiji Inafune on utlizing Western developers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 01:37:12 am »
Yay!

Generic western developers need help.

Offline Sega Stylista

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:19:20 pm »
I was a fan of Midway in the early years of gaming but I don't care for the western 'hollywood game developers' of later years.  They and the people that play their crap just need to find their way the fuck out of the hobby.  Face it, EA and Activision pump out nothing but shit.  Time for dedicated gaming to take this industry back.

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 11:41:44 pm »
Inafune was basically Capcom's Iizuka. The company can only improve without him.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:58:12 am »
Who's still left at Capcom at this point?
The whole Clover Studio gang leaves, and now Inafune....

It seems like on of the only big Japanese studios that's able to hang onto their big name developers is Nintendo.  Everybody else is going independent.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:41 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Inafune was basically Capcom's Iizuka. The company can only improve without him.
Maybe he was, but even so, this condescending statement holds a lot of truthiness to it. ;D

It seems like on of the only big Japanese studios that's able to hang onto their big name developers is Nintendo. Everybody else is going independent.
Perhaps some of these long time developers have grown disillusioned with the modern big budget game development process.

They were lucky enough to work in the days when games were developed by small, closely-knit teams that were given a lot of room to be creative. They could make games about bubble-popping dragons, hopping on rainbows, fairyland stories - the diversity of these older games is broader, and you can really tell how much personal love and attention were poured into them.

Today, it's all about managing large teams of over 100 disassociated, specialized people whose creative freedom is always in a stranglehold by their superiors. It's too much of "just a job to do", rather than something you're having fun with.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 10:08:08 am »
It's mostly that I wonder why other big developers aren't taking note of what's going on all around them, and doing more to hold onto these people.

Like if Inafune wanted to have a little development team within Capcom, let him have it. Granted, that's just a rumor, but if that's what it takes, go for it.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:17:08 am »
That's because they don't value their developers like gamers would. Inafune said himself that when he sent his letter of resignation, nobody on the board sent him a reply or tried to talk to him about it. They really didn't care.

It's gotten to the point where publishing executives view their developers as cogs that have no real individual worth and that can always be replaced if needed be. It's a McDonaldization of what was once a great creative industry, and that's also more or less what Sega Stylista rants about all the time.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 06:37:21 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
Today, it's all about managing large teams of over 100 disassociated, specialized people whose creative freedom is always in a stranglehold by their superiors. It's too much of "just a job to do", rather than something you're having fun with.

That is not always a bad thing though. Those 100 people could be all great people who know how to make good games. I mean, you yourself said you liked Sonic Unleashed a lot more than the previous games, and Unleashed was the first Sonic game to be designed with that kind of set of people, so I do not think it should always be looked down as a negative.

Every day I get more and more interested in the Indie game scene, but I still love a lot of big games. I am not sure why one type of development ascetic or one country by itself are the only real ways to making great games.

Offline SOUP

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:29:49 pm »
It's all a bit depressing :(.
It's nice that XBLA, PSN and WiiWare have allowed a lot of those indie games to make it to the consoles though.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:55:00 am »
Quote from: "SOUP"
It's all a bit depressing :(.
It's nice that XBLA, PSN and WiiWare have allowed a lot of those indie games to make it to the consoles though.
Yes indeed. A lot of my favorite games this gen were developed for those downloadable services. They came right in the nick of time to save small-time game development. ^___^

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 01:19:20 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"
Face it, EA and Activision pump out nothing but shit.  Time for dedicated gaming to take this industry back.

Activsion maybe EA ? I 'm sorry I just don't agree. Bad Company II, Dead Space, Rockband III, Fifa 10, Mass Effect II , Rockband, MOH are anything but Shit
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 01:30:03 pm »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"
Face it, EA and Activision pump out nothing but shit.  Time for dedicated gaming to take this industry back.

Activsion maybe EA ? I 'm sorry I just don't agree. Bad Company II, Dead Space, Rockband III, Fifa 10, Mass Effect II , Rockband, MOH are anything but Shit

Agreed.

Brutal Legend alone puts EA out of the 'shit' category by a huge margin.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 05:28:48 am »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
That's because they don't value their developers like gamers would. Inafune said himself that when he sent his letter of resignation, nobody on the board sent him a reply or tried to talk to him about it. They really didn't care.

It's gotten to the point where publishing executives view their developers as cogs that have no real individual worth and that can always be replaced if needed be. It's a McDonaldization of what was once a great creative industry, and that's also more or less what Sega Stylista rants about all the time.

That's a ball breaking accurate statement if there ever was one.

Although one thing I don't understand how did Capcom get there? I mean in Sega's case a foreign company (Sammy) took them over when Sega/CSK CEO Isao Okawa passed away.

I knew Capcom was having a tough time, and I understood the budget cuts they were making and I did not support Platinum Games, cause I believed they should have co-operated with the company (I just thought Capcom was being careful and protecting themselves from potential losses and unaudited expenses), but now it is getting ridiculous, who died and made the current management in charge?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:44:08 pm »
Quote from: "cube_b3"
That's a ball breaking accurate statement if there ever was one.

Although one thing I don't understand how did Capcom get there? I mean in Sega's case a foreign company (Sammy) took them over when Sega/CSK CEO Isao Okawa passed away.

I'm not sure how you can come to that conclusion on SEGA, in light of them still supporting money losing games (IE a followup to Valkyria Chronicles) or opting to invest in many more new IPs than any other Japanese publishers.

Quote from: "cube_b3"
I knew Capcom was having a tough time, and I understood the budget cuts they were making and I did not support Platinum Games, cause I believed they should have co-operated with the company (I just thought Capcom was being careful and protecting themselves from potential losses and unaudited expenses), but now it is getting ridiculous, who died and made the current management in charge?

You are getting so many things wrong.

Kamiya was treated terribly in his last few years at Capcom, Okami was meant to be a three game title, but the board insisted he make it into one game, what Kamiya wanted in the end was never achieved. Then the problems with Inafune started, Onimusha 3 had Jean Reno in it simply for more "Western" appeal, it bombed so hard that series was left to rest, Kamiya and co could have stayed at Capcom, but he would no longer get the freedom that he wanted.

Frankly I do not see how you believe the group should have stuck at Capcom after they were effectively chucked out for being failures. Capcom were not about to work with them again, might as well start working at the developer who made you want to make games for some of those in that group.

Finally, Inafune began this whole project of having games developed outside of Japan and at first it worked, but then the bubble burst and Bionic Commando, Dark Void and Lost Planet 2 all flopped terribly, it didn't help either that Inafune spoke out against the Capcom management in an interview sometime before his resignation, after they practically gave into his demand and outsourced all their development staff because it was mostly all his idea. Of course the board are not going to care anymore for him after that outburst.

But the fact is, Inafune made many outlandish remarks. The reason Lost Planet 2 failed was it did not have any snow, that if a game does not have a male American lead, it will fail and the most comical of all, he believes himself to be a last samurai styled figure.

The Capcom management no longer cared about him because he was no longer useful and was actually doing damage to the company. Out with the trash as they say.