Author Topic: Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN thread  (Read 21679 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Crazy Taxi XBLA/PSN thread
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2010, 01:42:10 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving! Drinking over here. I just want to weigh in and say that crazy hop is the homing attack and CT2's physics were too "floaty"!

Kidding.

I love CT1, like CT2 (loved the crazy hop, despite being a gimmick that can be overly used) and am indifferent about CT3. I like the compilation aspect to it, but the new areas were "meh" and I wish it was playable on the 360.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2010, 01:46:06 pm »
Yeah, my biggest regret after owning a 360 is not being able to play CT3.

Although CT3 has to be the best game in the series, even if you ignore all the new content because it features tuned up versions of everything from the past.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2010, 02:25:54 pm »
I love how we all have different opinions about which CT is best, but we all think all of them are at least decent.
SEG4GES

Offline segaismysavior

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Martini in one hand, switchblade in the other
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »
After finally playing the trial... I'm a whole lot less excited about buying this. I'm not sure if it's the controls, the music, or the seemingly lousy sound effects (did they change them?) that are putting me off.

I want to support the series, but yeah, this is a lousy port.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »
oh, all CT's are great, it's just the question of which one is greaterer.

CT1 is classic, solid and simple. Core mechanics, no fluff like hopping and multiple passengers.

CT2 is like a 2.0. Great game. Nearly all the content of the first, with a few new gameplay additions. Think of it as the Sonic 2 of the series. Crazy hop (spin dash) and a larger cast (Tails) make for more ways to play. However, sometimes you wish you weren't given the hop, just for a bit more "hardcore" gameplay.

CT3 is good too, however at the time the lack of online play hurt the game. Also, besides more areas, night driving and more drivers, it adds little to the series. It's just more content, but not an evolution like CT2 was.

Still I'd rate each one a 9/10 for different reasons.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2010, 01:17:41 am »
Am I the only one who felt the Crazy Hop kinda detracted from the game? Not sure what it was, but I felt it kinda diluted the experience somehow. Maybe I should go back and try CT2 again, been so, so long since I played that.

Never played the third one.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2010, 08:06:05 am »
Quote from: "segaismysavior"
After finally playing the trial... I'm a whole lot less excited about buying this. I'm not sure if it's the controls, the music, or the seemingly lousy sound effects (did they change them?) that are putting me off.

I want to support the series, but yeah, this is a lousy port.

Apparentely so, from my playthrough last night, I noticed that almost all of the passangers you'd pick up have no actual voice clips or they are (very)muffled by the loud music. Guess Sega couldn't afford a copyright infringement lawsuit if one of those characters said something like "Drive me over to KFC!".

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2010, 01:20:08 pm »
Yeah, the demo really turned me off from this. The sound is just not well done at all, and the new soundtrack just is not working with me. Most likely I am going to pass this one up. Very disappointing port.

And I am with Mang on the crazy hop from Crazy Taxi 2, it is pretty much how I feel about the homing attack in Sonic the Hedgehog 4, does not break the game by itself but it's inclusion just messes with the level design and general flow. Why drive around the incoming cars when you can hop over them?! Why take that ramp to get to the next area when you can just hop over it?

It is not a terrible game, just... I am just not a huge fan. The music and style was all perfect though, the menus were better than the original too I guess. I might play it soon again though.

Crazy Taxi 3 is not very good I think. I did not like much about it.

Something I always liked about the series was how the title looked more "Serious" with each release.

Kind of bland, but not bad at all.

Gettin' kind of spooky in here...

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

EDIT: Barry, there is a a minigame in CT1 where you can get multiple passengers.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »
..Can't you guys like use your super high tech consoles and use your super high tech Ipods/Zunes/MP3 players to play the original music?

(Wiis rule)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2010, 03:38:24 pm »
Yeah, u can play the original soundtrack via the custom soundtrack option

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2010, 04:15:22 pm »
^But that just plays the songs one after another over ALL the music and doesn't stop during loading/different menus etc. It's not all that good.

And yeah, this is really a massive massive dissapointment if the game is really that changed. Going back for years now I've been saying that I would be buying Crazy Taxi on day one and 200/200 it because I love it so damn much, but now... Goddammit Sega...

Also, I love the simplicity of Crazy Taxi 1's Dreamcast cover. Just Yellow and title, it was great.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2010, 06:07:20 pm »
Well to say a few positive things about PSN/XBLA Crazy Taxi, the gameplay is all there, and crazy box is a lot of fun. Though I agree that it really suffers from removing the music.

It's like if Star Wars released to blu-ray and was like this: http://tubedubber.com/#uxqxF7xfwLs:na_Z ... 0:6:0:true

It's just not the same, man.

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2010, 01:29:26 am »
The standard Xbox 360 controller does feel pretty similar to an old Dreamcast pad (duh, that's where they ripped off their design from), but the controls still don't work 100% right. Sometimes boosting works; other times absolutely nothing will happen. =/  

The music is either the same junk or (in the case of the female vocals) a GREAT improvement over the music of the older game. So overall, the included music is actually better than the music of the Dreamcast game. And with custom soundtracks, you have a game whose background music just suddenly became bearable! =D

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2010, 04:04:25 am »
I don't know if you are fishing for reactions or what, but we get that you don't like the original music, you don't need to keep posting about it :p

In any case, have you bought it or just played the demo? I'm still leaning towards not buying it, but I might be convinced.

I also noticed that Dreamcast games have their own special screen in XBLA which is very cool. If only Sega put as much effort into the actual ports...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2010, 05:19:26 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
I also noticed that Dreamcast games have their own special screen in XBLA which is very cool. If only Sega put as much effort into the actual ports...

I do not think you can claim that SEGA have not put effort into the ports just because one does not have widescreen and the other does not have the original soundtrack. With Sonic Adventure DX they've at least fixed it at 60 fps and otherwise, it seems a good port to me.

With Crazy Taxi, if the music is not there, I can understand. Outrun is being taken of XBLA in about 8 months, whilst the PSN version is already gone, thanks to the Ferrari license. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 did 98,000 for October, Crazy Taxi will not do half of that in it's debut month so they can pay for the Offspring license, but will the game yield any profits for them? And when the license runs out, they'll either have to renew it (Which after two years, is unlikely) or just let the game vanish from the online services.

I can understand some people's frustrations, they should have gone with classic SEGA tunes instead, but getting the original music would probably have not made this game very profitable for them.