Author Topic: Help me decide what Dreamcast game to buy next  (Read 10026 times)

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
Help me decide what Dreamcast game to buy next
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:40:20 pm »
Vote and decide what I buy next to play. Posted this SoA as well, so votes will be added.

Choose between these games:

Virtual On
House of the Dead 2
PSO (which version)
NFL 2K (which version)
NBA 2K (which version)
F355 Challenge
Ooga Booga
Outtrigger
SEGA GT
Samba De Amigo
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline SOUP

Re: Help me decide what Dreamcast game to buy next
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:13:54 pm »
Samba De Amigo if you plan on getting the maracas.
House of the Dead 2 is on the Wii (bundled with the third game), and Virtual ON has an HD port on XBLA.

Outtrigger's cool if you have the DC mouse and keyboard.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:25:00 pm »
Well, I don't have a 360, Wii, or PS3. And I do have a Dreamcast keyboard.

Offline Essay

• Total Meseta: 0
"Hello...friends."
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
I've had The House of the Dead 2 on both Dreamcast and Wii.  Keeping in mind I've never played the House of the Dead 1 and 4, but there's a reason many consider it the best in the series.  The branching paths, the necessary quick responses, unique boss battles...and campy cut-scenes, all make for an enjoyable experience.

It is, however, a bit on the difficult side (especially when you get deeper in to the game), and once you beat it, you usually aren't going to want to jump back in right away.

Outtrigger is one of those games that I felt I would have invested a lot of time in if the Dreamcast had a few more years left in it (unfortunately, it was released around the DC's demise and I looked for greener pastures once the announcement was made).  What I played of it, I only played in a Dreamcast Magazine demo.  I did find a lot to enjoy though:  frenetic Sega-arcade gameplay, varied weapons & power-ups, etc.  It was a different spin on your traditional first-person shooter (or third-person, if you wanted that perspective, too).

Offline SOUP

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:51:32 pm »
Quote from: "Supa"
Well, I don't have a 360, Wii, or PS3. And I do have a Dreamcast keyboard.
Fair enough. The main reason I suggested them on other systems instead, is just that Virtual On and HotD2 are pretty reliant on expensive peripherals to be enjoyed properly. That, and the Dreamcast versions tend to be pretty expensive. Especially Virtual On.

The thing about FPS games is the lack of a second analogue stick makes them quite a bit less fun to control.

If you're not out to pick up the peripherals, I'd probably say Ooga Booga would be a good first pick. It's cheap, easy to get ahold of, it's designed to be played with the standard controller, and I hear it's a pretty fun multiplayer title.

SEGA GT is ok, but not the most fun racer on the system.

I haven't played any of the NBA games yet, but NHL 2K2 would be the hockey game to go with. It's one of the few sports titles that I've put a decent amount of time into. Go Leafs :D.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:48:10 am »
I'd say either:

Ooga Booga
Fun multiplayer game that is also fun single player game. Unlike many of the other games you listed, it does not have a port on any other console. It's a good price too.

Samba De Amigo
Only get this if you are also getting the maracas (official maracas or the Cha Cha Amigo maracas are good). Also, I recommend the Japanese ver. 2000 game over the original. Tons more music and modes, nothing is cut either, so it basically makes the original obsolete.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:45:31 pm »
You seem to be a big Yu Suzuki fan, so I would say F355 Challenge. Wonderful game, and I usually hate those kind of racers.

Most of the games you mentioned outside of PSO will not keep you busy for too long, and in that I do not even recommend PSO at the moment because PSO2 might be more of the same, but better (hopefully).

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:13:05 pm »
GOAT GAMES available for very cheap on Play-Asia.

Also Redspotgames.com has great dreamcast games.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 06:01:33 pm »
Here, try looking at this site that pays me, or this site that also pays me. In this site I have casual sex with the person who owns it, so you know it is good.

P.S. Do not expect them to reply to your emails or buy you dinner.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 12:24:28 pm »
Just because I am friends with GSP/RSG folks doesn't mean I get paid by them. I spread the word about SEGA Bits on other sites I write for doesn't mean I get paid by George either.

I share things I genuinely enjoy and want other people to experience them as well, slapping a price tag on my leisure activities is in poor taste.
Your being rather rude as of late :/ and I am not finding it funny.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »
It is actually against the rules of the forums (#3-No Advertising). I know we do not follow them perfectly and there is no strict guideline, but more than half of your posts mention it on the forums and on the front page, and that is ridiculous.

I have nothing against them or you, I am just tired of most of your posts mentioning it. And I personally know many other members are too.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:26:57 am »
First of all my designation is retro reporter:

GSP/RSG/NGDT develop new content for Retro Consoles specifically Dreamcast, given they make the most head lines I obviously have to report them.

Secondly reporting deals has been in our posting criteria since day 1, we have a whole category dedicated to 'Deals'.

Lastly this thread is concerned with helping a member buy a Dreamcast game, by your logic every recommendation would be an advert.

If you don't like it, that is your personal preference. I can't make you like it, nor do I have any reason too.

What I won't stand are false accusations or offensive statements so please stop.

@ Supa: I always wanted to try Ooga Booga do share your impressions if you grab it. While Visual Concepts is the developer of the game, Sonic Team was involved as well specifically Sonic Co-Creator Hirokazu Yasuhara.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:19:16 am »
Sanus & Cube, keep the advertising talk to PMs. And if either of you think its necessary, bring Sharky or George into the PM discussion.

Let's keep the discussion on what Supa started. I had thought Supa recently got Ooga Booga. Maybe he should write up a retro review? :)

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:39:34 am »
Yes, the game was released towards the end of Dreamcast's (marketing) life therefore it never got the exposure it deserves. I had the option of buying this or Flogain Bros for some reason I went with the Bros.

Didn't boot Flogain Bros up more than once.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:08 am »
Haven't gotten anything yet, but I think I'll look today and buy a new one. I'll let you guys know my choice!