Author Topic: Alien: Isolation Release Discussion - Reviews & Spoilers  (Read 60892 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
Re: First 20 mins of Alien Isolation (Lets Play Vid)
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 07:29:41 am »

I want to be really excited for this, but I also need to guard myself a bit,
so I'm not let down. I will wait for more impressions first before jumping the
gun and buying this.
CA has earned my trust over the years with their TOTAL WAR games and VIKING so i would buy this game. I just not buying it until they release a complete version as i don't want to participate in season pass.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 07:36:34 am »
CA has earned my trust over the years with their TOTAL WAR games and VIKING so i would buy this game. I just not buying it until they release a complete version as i don't want to participate in season pass.

Yeah I had to struggle with this. Even Game has a special extra DLC that made me questioned if I really wanted to support the game. In the end I decided to bite the bullet but I went with Amazon and ignored the retail exclusive DLC as I just had too much fun running from the Alien in the demo I played.

Hopefully in the future the extra DLC will all be cheap in piecemeal for day one buyers.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:19 am »
How was the Alien AI? I've seen some clips where the Alien just bumbles through a room missing the player entirely while they stand in the corner?

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 08:50:54 am »
How was the Alien AI? I've seen some clips where the Alien just bumbles through a room missing the player entirely while they stand in the corner?

I've seen that GIF and I think it's fine. The Alien is otherwise such a hard to evade killer that without some of these blindspots the game would be far too hard to complete.

My best time in completing the stage was 1:21 and even then it was pretty tough, you'll have to learn the stage layout, avoid walking under any vent (Once I used my flamethrower against the alien, I proceeded to the exit but there he was waiting for me and grabbed me.) open spaces, running or making any extra noise (I accidentally meleed a iron box and he came running to me in a few seconds.)

Offline ROJM

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 09:28:13 am »
Yeah I had to struggle with this. Even Game has a special extra DLC that made me questioned if I really wanted to support the game. In the end I decided to bite the bullet but I went with Amazon and ignored the retail exclusive DLC as I just had too much fun running from the Alien in the demo I played.

Hopefully in the future the extra DLC will all be cheap in piecemeal for day one buyers.

Well that's good if the game was good for you. Especially if it wipes the bad taste of COLONIAL MARINES from peoples mouths..even though i wasn't too down on the game. I'll find they probably release a collectors pack at one point and then i'll get my copies then.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2014, 10:32:17 am »
Oh something I forgot to mention and would be particularly interesting to some people.

When you combined the sizes of the Alien booth, the Total War booth and the Miku both, SEGA had a bigger presence at Eurogamer than either Microsoft or Nintendo. From the looks of it, only Sony exceeded them and Ubisoft was roughly the same size.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2014, 10:52:58 am »
Not suprising since Europe has always been Sega's bread and butter...didn't they sponser some competition at that event as well or am i thinking of something else?

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:59 am »
Not suprising since Europe has always been Sega's bread and butter...didn't they sponser some competition at that event as well or am i thinking of something else?

here is a video of what SEGA had at EGX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY9qCaldLAs

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 07:22:14 am »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-03-egx-2014-game-of-the-show?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Alien: Isolation won game of the show at Eurogamer,  just incase you all thought I was being a raving SEGA fanboy with my hype but no ladies and gentlemen, the hype is real.

Reviews dropping in less than an hour too!

Offline ROJM

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:29 am »
Being a raving Sega fan boy in a Sega fan site?...Is that really a crime? LOL...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:05 am »
The Guardian 5/5
PC Gamer 93/100
TheSixthAxis 9/10
Videogamer 9/10
Destructoid 8.5/10
Eurogamer 8/10
CVG 8/10
Jim Sterling @ The Escapist 4.5/5
Kotaku Yes
Game Informer 7.75/10
Polygon 6.5/10
Gamespot 6/10
IGN 5.9/10 "– Unpredictable Alien AI."

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:54 am »
I'm going to wait and see. Just because I have so many games in my backlog already.
I'm really happy to see it's getting mostly positive reception though.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 08:44:50 am »
The Guardian 5/5
PC Gamer 93/100
TheSixthAxis 9/10
Videogamer 9/10
Destructoid 8.5/10
Eurogamer 8/10
CVG 8/10
Jim Sterling @ The Escapist 4.5/5
Kotaku Yes
Game Informer 7.75/10
Polygon 6.5/10
Gamespot 6/10
IGN 5.9/10 "– Unpredictable Alien AI."

Looks like the british sites loved it and the american ones didn't..

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
Alien Isolation Review Roundup
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:09 am »
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/478130/alien-isolation-review-round-up/

CVG: 8/10 - Before Creative Assembly honoured sci-fi's seminal horror film, there were dozens of Aliens games (I'm blaming you for Colonial Marines, Cameron). Now, there's precisely one Alien game. Could it do with a little trimming and better optimisation? Absolutely. But lock yourself in a dark room with a good pair of headphones, and Isolation's thrilling chills mean this is one ET you'll never want to go home.[/q]
[/font]
  • GamesRadar: 4.5/5 - Those of you brave enough--those of you tired of existing video game approximations of survival and horror, and craving a real test of your skills, instincts and nerves--will find a bounty of thrilling, engrossing, profoundly fulfilling rewards. If you truly embrace it, then during its most powerful moments, Alien: Isolation will probably make you feel more alive than a video game has in years.[/font][/size]
  • OXM: 9/10 - Unique stealth-horror thriller that combines great pacing and smart design with razor-sharp AI that's unpredictable in all the right ways. It's an arduous undertaking, but it begs to be experienced.[/font][/size]
  • Eurogamer: 8/10 - A shorter, sharper campaign would condense the high points more potently, and some better characterisation would make the plot twists hit harder. But if you're looking for a game that really sinks its teeth into what makes this iconic movie monster endure, look no further.[/font][/size]
  • IGN: 5.9/10 - It may seem strange to complain that a game's too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation's epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.[/font][/size]
  • GameSpot: 6/10 - Alien: Isolation provides us a glimpse into a future that holds the Alien game you've always wanted. It is not, however, the vessel that carries you there.[/font][/size]
  • Polygon: 6.5/10 - Alien: Isolation isn't the worst Alien game, but thanks to its unrealized potential, it just might be the most disappointing.[/font][/size]
  • Joystiq: 4/5 - In the same way that Ash respected the alien for its brutality in the original film, though, maybe I also respect Alien: Isolation just for how long, grueling and relentless it ends up being. Instead of completing the game, it feels more like I've escaped it and the nightmare it put me through.[/font][/size]
  • Kotaku: No score - I imagine what must have been going through Ripley's head as she sat there, exposed and terrified, unable to look away. If I just move slowly... carefully... maybe I can survive this. It is a tribute to Alien: Isolation that I spent most of my time with it feeling the same way.[/font][/size]
  • Destructoid: 8.5/10 - Halfway into playing Alien: Isolation, I stopped to watch the first four Alien movies again. It wasn't just for research purposes, but mostly because the game had me yearning for more of the universe. Isolation has some flaws, but it's faithful to the film series, and I'd love to see a follow-up with a few extra alien evolutions.[/font][/size]
  • Game Informer: 7.75/10 - Unlike its titular organism, Alien: Isolation is decidedly imperfect. The story falls flat, your objectives lack a sense of accomplishment, and the campaign drags on longer than it should. When the gameplay is at its best, however, Isolation delivers the thrill of being in the Alien universe, something fans like me have waited a long time to properly experience.[/font][/size]
  • Guardian: 5/5 - This terrifying game is a passionate homage to a horror classic, and a rich, well-designed stealth experience in its own right. Giger's monstrous alien is, for the first time in a video game, as formidable and menacing as it was in the films.[/font][/size]
  • Metro: 7/10 - It was always going to be difficult making you scared of a creature that's now such a familiar part of popular culture but although Isolation succeeds at first, repetition and a lack of direction become more intractable problems than even the alien itself.[/font][/size]
  • Digital Spy: 4/5 - After years of fumbling with the license, it's refreshing to see Sega finally deliver a game worthy of the Alien branding.[/l]
    [/font]

• [/color]Sounds very promising. =)
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline ROJM

Re: Alien Isolation Review Roundup
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:42 am »
Barry already did this in the other topic...do we really need two topics doing the same thing?