Author Topic: Those pesky rumors: SEGA returning to the home hardware business  (Read 23072 times)

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Those pesky rumors: SEGA returning to the home hardware business
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2015, 06:48:57 am »
It would be cool to have some stuff from them mind. A steam/gog-like API service, controller etc.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2015, 06:52:43 am »
It would be cool to have some stuff from them mind. A steam/gog-like API service, controller etc.

They had PlaySEGA flash service. But that was just based on Genesis stuff. Of course one problem is that Sega West ignored Saturn/Dreamcast stuff for years, until the 2010's, which was very late.

Offline Tad

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 07:12:37 am »
Hmm, sort of. That was never fully optimised for me. I was thinking a service that has everything it can have (third party, indie etc) and access to Sega's own back catalogue.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 08:53:54 am »
Closest thing I can see to a new SEGA console is a SEGA branded Steam machine. Could come with one (or several)  titles pre-installed, a themed controller or two, maybe custom hardware. If they wanted to go really attempt to get SEGA fans on board, they'd shape it like the Saturn or Dreamcast.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 09:13:33 am »
A SEGA branded Steam machine is something I've been hoping for for a while. It is a platform and digital marketplace already in place that SEGA has a foothold in, and SEGA are not taking the risk of going first party. It would simply be a Steam machine appealing to SEGA hardware enthusiasts.

Offline Tad

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 10:00:10 am »
Haven't the other steam machines been greeted with a "meh" reception?

It's kind of why I'd like to see them go for a service like Steam instead. One that could perhaps be implemented onto multiple devices if needed, or if the desire is there.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:15:23 am by Tad »

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 10:08:18 am »
It's true... I think the Steam Machine concept kind of... ran out of steam. *ducks* But yeah, they announced it and then canceled the entire first wave of those boxes. By the time they finally got some on the market, there wasn't much excitement about them anymore. It's kind of a tough sell, anyway. PC enthusiasts prefer to build their own or buy from 'configurer' sites. Casual folks might not even understand the concept of a Steam Machine. About the best thing that's come of it is the Steam controller, and even that kind of has a learning curve.

Offline Tad

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 10:21:44 am »
It's true... I think the Steam Machine concept kind of... ran out of steam. *ducks* But yeah, they announced it and then canceled the entire first wave of those boxes. By the time they finally got some on the market, there wasn't much excitement about them anymore. It's kind of a tough sell, anyway. PC enthusiasts prefer to build their own or buy from 'configurer' sites. Casual folks might not even understand the concept of a Steam Machine. About the best thing that's come of it is the Steam controller, and even that kind of has a learning curve.

On the plus side however, if such a day comes where Value want to jump into the console market, they have the flexibility and resources through their PC business with Steam. This is what I'd like to see Sega do.

Offline Moody

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 10:30:39 am »
Not only did the Steam Machine suffer from a LONG period between announcement and release (2+ years I believe, even longer if you count the leaks of it, which would probably be three and a half years), but it lacked exposure. The most likely people to buy a Steam Machine are people who already own a gaming PC. Not only because those are the people who know about it, but those are the people familiar enough with the platform to circumvent its many issues. About the only advertisement I heard of were small tables set in the corner of select Gamestops. That's definitely not bad advertisement, but it's not enough, imo. It'll sell some units, but not as much as actual marketing would.

And then there was the issue of the things being too damn expensive, the reportedly bad performance of SteamOS, the lukewarm response to the controller, I can't see it not failing. But, if during that time, SEGA hops on and releases their own Machine at a reasonable cost, I'll definitely be interested.

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 11:17:41 am »
The 1980s and 1990s were a different time for gaming entirely. There were many companies like Apple, Atari, NeoGeo, Nintendo, Philipps, etc. that were competing along with Sega. There are only three companies competing in home gaming hardware now. I think smartphones and PC games could eventually take them over. It would be very cool and nostalgic to see Sega come back to the console business. The problem is that they probably would never have the funds to try and compete. They would need some other company to help them out like Toshiba, which was mentioned in an earlier thread. I can't see that happening though. Plus, it would probably be too late for home consoles at that point in time.

Outside of traditional game consoles, there's a chance for SEGA to do another product with successful results. Also, again, once Sega Holdings opens for public trading, the chances of them merging with Toshiba would be highly very likely.

That's not correct  Trippled, Sammy is a wholly owned  subsidiary of Sega Holdings,Ltd/Kabushiki Kaisha Sega. They would indeed make revenue if they sold their own product to a specific demographic.

SEGA's Mobile,PC and Arcades divisions make FAR more profit than the consumer game business.  There's the answer. Those are the demographics that will buy a SEGA platform.People act like the consumer game market prints more money and that its a far more profitable market for SEGA.

It's not.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:20:01 am by EnternalHope »

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 11:19:26 am »
A SEGA branded Steam machine is something I've been hoping for for a while. It is a platform and digital marketplace already in place that SEGA has a foothold in, and SEGA are not taking the risk of going first party. It would simply be a Steam machine appealing to SEGA hardware enthusiasts.

SEGA has had this type of idea on the table since the mid 2000s.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:58 am »

SEGA's Mobile,PC and Arcades divisions make FAR more profit than the consumer game business.  There's the answer. Those are the demographics that will buy a SEGA platform.People act like the consumer game market prints more money and that its a far more profitable market for SEGA.

It's not.

The idea behind all of those markets is that they don't need to buy a Sega specific platform. You can't possibly actually believe half of the stuff you're saying in this thread, can you? A consumer-based Sega piece of hardware would completely flop no matter who it was targeted at. They're done with consumer hardware. The end.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 11:56:23 am »
The idea behind all of those markets is that they don't need to buy a Sega specific platform. You can't possibly actually believe half of the stuff you're saying in this thread, can you? A consumer-based Sega piece of hardware would completely flop no matter who it was targeted at. They're done with consumer hardware. The end.

Yes they do. This demographic does NOT care for traditional consoles.
Why would they need to by a console that doesn't appeal to them just to play Sega titles?

And no it would not flop. Care to prove it or elaborate?How do you know it would?

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 01:40:54 pm »
Outside of traditional game consoles, there's a chance for SEGA to do another product with successful results. Also, again, once Sega Holdings opens for public trading, the chances of them merging with Toshiba would be highly very likely.

I think this bothers me the most about your posts...your claims about Toshiba, Sega Sammy etc. are completly baseless. You ask for proof you don't have any yourself other than vague trademarks.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 02:05:04 pm »
I think this bothers me the most about your posts...your claims about Toshiba, Sega Sammy etc. are completly baseless. You ask for proof you don't have any yourself other than vague trademarks.

Nobody has ever asked me for anything here.

Trademark? Sega Holdings,Ltd is a HOLDING brand which is a mothership parent holding all investors,assets,equity and cash flow for said labels and divisions . Which DO handle and execute M&A once they start public trading in the NIKKEI.

Trademarks?The WIPO is the Global Database for ALL international business trade. There's a reason why its called the Worldwide Intellectual Property Organization. Nothing about it is baseless at all. Which is why I've been discussing it. Its a database that determines how a Company/Corporation will conduct business in all jurisdictions where its operated in.

How is it baseless?