Author Topic: Sega Genesis games coming for PSN $5 each or Free for Plus.  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Shigs

• Total Meseta: 5
Sega Genesis games coming for PSN $5 each or Free for Plus.
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:19:16 pm »
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/ ... -for-free/
SEGA Genesis Collection Coming Exclusively to PlayStation Plus Subscribers for FREE!

Gaming has come a long way since it became popular with the release of the Atari 2600. As the industry continued to build steam over the years that followed, we saw some iconic classics emerge. One publisher, SEGA, has definitely had its fair share of games that brought mass appeal in the early stages of gaming.

Whether it was our favorite blue hedgehog or playing couch co-op as two centurions tried to free Zeus’ daughter, SEGA created some of the most defining titles in video game history. Now, the SEGA Genesis Collection is coming to PlayStation Store. Starting March 29, SEGA will be rolling out the SEGA Genesis Collection, including Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Altered Beast, and more. All six of these titles will be playable on the PlayStation 3 and will include trophies. As a special gift and exclusive offer for our PlayStation Plus subscribers, the upcoming games (an almost $30 value) will be available two weeks early and free for one month each to download. To kick off the event, Sonic the Hedgehog will be available a full four weeks early on March 1 to PlayStation Plus subscribers!

View the full list of titles below (including release dates) and enjoy jumping into some gaming nostalgia.

PlayStation Plus Releases (free)
Sonic the Hedgehog – Available March 1 – April 5
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – Available April 5 – May 3
Streets of Rage 2 – Available May 3 – May 31
Golden Axe 2 – Available May 31 – July 5
Comix Zone – Available July 5 – August 2
Altered Beast – Available August 2 – August 30

Regular PlayStation Store Release ($4.99 each)
Sonic the Hedgehog – March 29
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – April 19
Streets of Rage 2 – May 17
Golden Axe 2 – June 14
Comix Zone – July 19
Altered Beast – August 16

Sounds like a good deal if you're a Plus member (like me!). If not, you can get all those games and a lot more on the Sega Genesis Collection for PS3 for only $19.99.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Grammar Expert Plus

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Sega Genesis games coming for PSN $5 each or Free for Plus.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »
Even though it is not announced yet, I will be buying Ecco again, because I am a loser like that.

I like how Sony originally lied about these coming around launch before asking SEGA, so they had a grudge for four years.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:47:32 pm »
Don't PSN users have to pay for plus, so really it isn't free? It's more like "included", not "free".

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »
It's basically a perk to the Playstation Plus subscription I guess. I don't really see the point of downloading these for $5 a pop when they're all in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. Maybe if they have trophies.

Offline Essay

• Total Meseta: 0
I'm a simple WiiWare/VC guy.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 07:57:12 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the PSN Plus...you don't actually own the game, correct?

I don't think I even realized this until I read an exert from Penny-Arcade:  "[PlayStation] Plus is about paying for things you may or may not want. You pay for access to "free games" you dont own, or you're renting them I guess, and then if you stop paying your game turns back into a pumpkin."

So if you were to cancel your subscription, you wouldn't be able to access those games any longer? O_o

I'd just go with the Genesis Collection.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »
For playstation plus, anything you get on a special discount, is yours to keep, but the stuff you get absolutely free gets locked out when your subscription is out, and you have to pay for them then.