Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 11725 times)

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
Government Shutdown
« on: October 14, 2013, 07:43:11 am »
So i don't really keep up with politics, but from what I understand, if some kind of agreement isn't reached in 3 days the US will basically enter some kind of depression and will affect the rest of the world too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jd-iaYLO1A

I hope some kind of agreement is reached soon, but these Republicans are being downright evil

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 08:21:35 am »
To put it into proper context, the Obama administration wishes to raise the debt ceiling to increase spending and to submit to the Affordable Care Act or something along those lines. Non compliance with those demands resulted in what is known as this shutdown.

Oddly enough, the Obama administration, despite the shutdown, ordered the closing of several parks and installations that weren't receiving any actual federal funding.

On the topic of evil, despite conscessions from Republicans, the Democart Senate Majority continues to shoot down any proposals from said GOPers:

http://youtu.be/QfHLkacQDFw

Personally, nobody looks good in this shutdown... despite the media whitewashing of the Obama officials.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:35:07 pm »
IIRC Treasury bills, which are generally considered a highly safe financial asset, will be considered unsafe and not worth holding (the safety is what makes them appealing, the yield on them isn't all that high). In theory this will cause investors to sell them off rapidly. Also, the general idea is that the inoperability that results from lack of government funding supplied to various things (social service programs) will bring not-insignificant damage to the economy. Even money from a welfare check still goes to Coca-Cola if you spend it at a grocery store or whatever. There are places in the country where the job market is quite weak, so the effects of this would be more painful there.

It will indeed affect the rest of the world. Plenty of world economies are highly connected. As they say, when we sneeze, the rest of the world catches a cold. Even Singapore, an otherwise economically strong country, hit recession due to the 2008 crisis, and may do so again if there's a default.

http://www.todayonline.com/business/recession-risk-singapore-us-default
(don't put too much stock in to the person saying it won't be so bad in the short term: they're talking only about mortgages in Singapore. Their economy will feel the effects in other ways)

It's like this: Singapore, like China and I think Japan, are countries whose economies bank on exports. This relationship has been kept afloat in the past with things like China's generally lax working conditions (low wages, bad hours, etc) or differences in tax code. Availability of materials and resources for manufacturing may make a difference; I'm not sure on that front. (edit: I forgot to add, China also had been devaluing its currency. Remember Romney making a fuss about this during his campaign?) Anyway, it cause the goods to be cheaper, and thus the US buys them. It bolstered the Chinese economy for a time. If you buy that markets generally hate uncertainty, the panic should become clear. Markets want people to invest, not sell off shares or hoard their money, and the idea is people will sell because their money that is invested will depreciate because they anticipate others selling off their stock. Stock Markets are very much...social, or psychological in that regard.

The 2008 crisis is a fair enough parallel to explain the principle of interconnected economies nowadays.

----

regarding context, this started with Senator Ted Cruz amping up rhetoric to take money away from Obamacare in the House's Budget that is supposed to be passed for this coming fiscal year. In actuality, the funds have largely been appropriated for Obamacare---the decision is whether or not states accept the money themselves and set up their own exchanges as opposed to a federally-managed exchanged (and not every state went through with it.) Obamacare isn't considered "discretionary spending" anyway - it's mandatory unless nullified by various legal actions (all of which it has withstood.) Since Obamacare is set to go into full effect, "taking away money" from it in the government's budget is seen as the last attempt to derail the law before it happens; I assume the strategy is that if it becomes ineffective, it will be politically unsavory, but this is an impossible scenario in the way that the congressional republicans seem to think. It can't be "defunded."

That's not the only thing though. Republicans generally make a lot of noise about "entitlement reform" (i.e. reducing the budget for some programs, changing qualification so that fewer people are eligible as in raising the retirement age, for example) or specific tax credits/subsidies, so they take this as an opportunity to advance those goals too. Before this whole default/shutdown debacle, the House voted to cut close to $40 billion in food stamps.

Note also that this isn't the first time that Obama has had to negotiate over the debt ceiling. Remember the super-committee from 2011? The fear of the GOP led to deep spending cuts. The fact that a yearly row that can threaten the operation of the country might be expected regularly is utterly asinine and terrible for the economy, and this behavior should be discouraged from future Houses. This sort of brinkmanship can't be tolerated.

http://www.businessinsider.com/obama-should-deal-on-the-debt-ceiling-if-he-can-make-it-permanently-go-away-2013-10

Not to mention that the debt ceiling is a formality, something used for convenience. As for the national parks--those are federally funded.The only one I've heard of that wasn't federally funded and yet closed was an institution that actually sits on federal land--that is, owned by the government. The ones being opened now as I recall are done so through the monies of the states in which they are located, with the caveat that they want their money back when Congress resolves its budget issues. This, also, has to be approved by Congress.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:35:48 pm by inthesky »
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 02:40:48 pm »
Has anyone ever told you how awesome you are, inthesky? You (and your ability to post sources to back up what you say from nonpartisan sources) are awesome!

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:42:35 pm »
GOP Rep: A debt default is an "impeachable" offense by the President
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696928

these guys just don't want to end the shutdown

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »
Has anyone ever told you how awesome you are, inthesky? You (and your ability to post sources to back up what you say from nonpartisan sources) are awesome!

My parents did so when I was a child sometimes =3

Thanks though! I don't have the same opinion of myself, really. I think I'm pretty partisan in that I often have an ideological preference (though I acknowledge that sometimes a person's "preferred team" simply screws up), but I hope that I'm not disingenuous, improperly choosing sources (i.e. use an op-ed as an expression of opinion or because of the insight it shares and not representing it as fact, or use bad sources), and hope I'm properly conveying the difference between fact and opinion, while not just giving up on discussion because "it's all an opinion" or something nihilistic like that. I don't consider myself an expert on politics but I try to keep up. I also only stop by the forums once in a while too, but this here is a nice place.

@Will

A few GOP or Tea Party affiliated people have made colorful statements about the shutdown recently, like the comparison to the American Revolution, or the comparison of Obamacare to slavery.

We are down the rabbit hole
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 09:06:56 pm by inthesky »

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 09:42:07 pm »
The way they've politicized the WW2 vets has been pretty disgusting. I saw a video of a man throwing down the barricades in front of the White House gate blaming them for the shutdown...even though this is, for all intents and purposes, Republican caused. They are being manipulated.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:37:52 am »
Unfortunately, we live in these times where information is highly decentrilized and rarely intersect. Case and point, I'm afraid partisanship can be found in nearly every news outlet. The Business Insider article, for example, quotes Ezra Klein, who unfortunately does have a track record of posting erronous information from time to time and is also a staunch supporter of Obamacare / Affordable Care Act, but does that invalide his opinion permantely? Nope. Yes, many media outlets "manipulate" or rather show only one side of the facts, hence the whole story is much, much harder to understand or piece together in proper context. Partisanship is just something that we have to get used to in a public forum.

This quote is relevant:
"Ideology and partisan leaning permit people who are ignorant of the facts and the law to have an overly-firm opinion on matters they know nothing about."

@Will

Republicans aren't the only ones who don't want the shutdown to end. The Democrat Majority in the Senate and the Obama administration has a more than vested interest in dragging this on. For example, there was a budget plan that was shot down by the Senate Majority leaders, 3 days ago. Early on September 30th, Harry Reid was very much planning on the shutdown to happen, regardless. Harry Reid cancelled voting in the Senate on several key matters, hence why the Democrat majority in the Senate is fragile at this point.

But the thing is, I'm just not sure if any of this makes sense to you, Will.

@nuckles87

The Republicans caused the shutdown, but I am certain that they didn't issue the order to barricade the access to the WW2 Memorial. Who issued that order?

@inthesky

Of course, that's understandable, treasury bonds are a slighty safer option than stock options or savings accounts in harsh times (I know, since I have an IOU from the Portuguese Treasury). Though I think many people don't quite understand the difference between both of them. From what I could gather, in a treasury bond, you are essentially buying or pledging to buy a certain amount of public debt.

It's an atractive option, low but less unstable interest rates, assuming that said rates are indeed keeping within the average market value and not artificially imposed. Uber low interest rates might be a red flag.

But anyway, the point you are making is that the goverment shutdown and the debt ceiling negotiations is going to have an impact in the way the federal goverment funds social services.
But it appears that payments to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are not affected by the shutdown:
The bulk of the federal budget goes toward what is known as "mandatory" programs -- entitlements like Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. These payments cannot be interrupted in the case of a partial government shutdown.

And as far as the shutdown/debt ceiling potentially causing harm to the stock market, the financial circles seem to adopt a dismissive position:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/debt-ceiling-budget-showdown-won-t-derail-bull-130917747.html

A similar dismissive stance was also taken in 2011, over the last major debt ceiling debate:http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/debt-ceiling-deadlock-why-markets-don-t-seem-142313090.html

Yes, you mentioned that wellfare checks can be used to be Coca Cola bottles, but those are certainly not the major source of revenue for a company like the Coca Cola Company. International buyers also have a huge impact into their sales.

And you are right, interconnected markets do have problems, but they do have their perks, namely acess to a wider market, more competition,etc.

And yes, the scenario you point out is troublesome especially if you have an economy in which the state / public service is the largest buyer (sometimes the only) and client of vital economic sectors.
Even worse in a state / public sector - dependent economy, the US for the most part is not going to be like Greece, Italy, Ireland or Portugal, for that matter, even when you take into account the amount of spending, goverment intervention and taxation.

The thing about the ACA is that it's most likely going to be too costly and a burden on businesses and general tax payers, I've seen some reports claiming that the ACA is going to be cheaper than expected, but alas, we are talking about short-term, long term is where we can actually see the true costs of such a program. ACA's already been showing some glaring problems from day 1, namely the mess regarding the healthcare.gov website which continues to produce some troubling insights:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/networth/article/Lower-2014-income-can-net-huge-health-care-subsidy-4891087.php

Is it better to let the states themselves decide what type of NHS-type system they would rather implement or have this massive program under federal watch? I don't know.

Also speaking of which, you can remove funding from a program or act even if it's been written into law, the term "pull the plug" is an accurate description of that. And Congress has the power to enact changes and remove funding from programs.

The aforementioned park and monument shutdowns or blockades, the latter being the more accurate is very troublesome. Why? Take the WW2 Memorial, it's in an open plaza, even if it's on federally funded-grounds, whoever gave the order to the National Park Services to barricade these open areas can be accussed of overeach and, worst of all, this could potentially be illegal. Even worse, it's directed that the general civilian population. The National Park Services do not own Mount Vernon or Mount Rushmore, if antyhing just the parking lot and that provides acess to them, yet someone gave the order to shut them down or rather barricade them.

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1442580353/Gestapo-tactics-meet-senior-citizens-at-Yellowstone

A bit to excessive, don't you think?

Also, with regards to this complaint about the House putting things at risk, need I remind you that the Senate, the democrat-controlled Senate has not passed a single budget since Harry Reid won the majority? Google "Harry Reid cancels vote" and you will be amazed as to how very little Democrats have done in the actual Senate.

The USA has a decentralized goverment, split into four active bodies: Congress, Senate, Administration, Courts. This system is in place for a reason, no governing body never at any point has complete control or power over any of the remaining bodies. This is what Democrats call Checks and Balances everything there's a Republican majority.

This is why I feel everyone is to blame.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:29:35 am »
"Jeremy W. Peters @jwpetersNYT
Issa says House Rs opened their meeting by singing "Amazing Grace" this morning. Are unified behind their new plan."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=86127907#post86127907

Offline max_cady

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:38 am »
A howler monkey can make a far more profound and less cynical analysis of a Twitter remark, than anyone on that website.

Offline inthesky

• Altaha Abilia
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 06:22:16 pm »
Yet again my quoting function has failed me. So excuse this less presentable style.

But anyway, the point you are making is that the goverment shutdown and the debt ceiling negotiations is going to have an impact in the way the federal goverment funds social services.
But it appears that payments to Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are not affected by the shutdown:

(quote inside a quote)
    The bulk of the federal budget goes toward what is known as "mandatory" programs -- entitlements like Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare. These payments cannot be interrupted in the case of a partial government shutdown.

You are in right in that sense--the funds have already been appropriated. However, there were warnings of delays for Social Security and Medicare, especially in light of workers being furloughed. So we are dealing with some time sensitivity. Also, new applicants for these programs reportedly will have more difficulty with processing of their claims unlike those who already have them.

This reminds me of the inability for plenty of people to get passports.

And as far as the shutdown/debt ceiling potentially causing harm to the stock market, the financial circles seem to adopt a dismissive position:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/debt-ceiling-budget-showdown-won-t-derail-bull-130917747.html

A similar dismissive stance was also taken in 2011, over the last major debt ceiling debate:http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/debt-ceiling-deadlock-why-markets-don-t-seem-142313090.html

First article: says nothing convincing about the damage that a shutdown would have. He's trying to assuage market fears--keep the "bull market" going. Wall Street was going back and forth (-100 points in the DJIA after the weekend, though it has made back that loss IIRC) but ultimately more or less expects some sort of 11th hour solution. Also, he's talking about the showdown itself, not a hypothetical lack of resolution.

second article: incidentally, after the date of that article's penning:
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/10/01/lessons-from-2011-budget-fight-more-volatility-to-come/

"On Thursday, July 21, with the deadline less than two weeks away, investors were still in a relatively complacent mood–as they are now. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed that day at 12,751 and the 10-year Treasury yield was sitting just above 3%.

By Friday July 29, however, after a grand bargain deal had fallen through, the Dow was 4.8% lower at 12,143 and the 10-year yield was at 2.805%–the latter reflecting a somewhat contradictory response where investors bought the very instruments at risk of default in a powerful reminder of how the dollar-centric global financial system places great value on the liquidity of U.S. government bonds at times of crisis. That’s one to keep in mind as the standoff continues this time.

An agreement on Sunday, July 31  – which set up the infamous “sequestration” deal — initially helped to stabilize market. The Dow lost a mere 10 points on the Monday, suggesting that stocks were finding a bottom. But then all hell broke loose.

Although the debt ceiling threat was behind them, it was clear that S&P wasn’t happy with how it was handled. By the end of the week, the Dow had dropped a further 5.6%. On that Friday, the S&P downgraded the U.S. and the following Monday, the DJIA dropped another 2.9%. It then opened sharply lower again on Tuesday, Aug. 9, only to surge by 3% later that day. That wasn’t exactly the end of the rout – markets plunged 4.6% on Wednesday to their lowest point for the month – but it did set up a turning point later in the week as a concerted recovery began on Thursday. By that stage, the 10-year Treasury yield had dropped as low as 2.038% – losing almost 100 basis points in just two weeks (...)

Why did markets stabilize that day? Because the Federal Reserve announced it intended to keep interest rates near zero for at least another two more years."

The article alludes to the idea that the U.S was still recovering, and that one of its key trading partners in the EU was going through its own...troubles, to put it lightly. At the time, people recommended diversification of portfolios through international stocks. I mean, people still do anyway, but it was because of the perceived need for the US to pick up that it was a prominent talking point.

Also,
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/07/markets/world_markets_downgrade/index.htm

We had volatility. Wall Street is generally convinced that Congress won't put them in harm's way in the end, but investors will still get nervous.

Yes, you mentioned that wellfare checks can be used to be Coca Cola bottles, but those are certainly not the major source of revenue for a company like the Coca Cola Company. International buyers also have a huge impact into their sales.

Well yeah, but I didn't say that. One would merely have to consider that someone with more money than a regular welfare check has more purchasing power and could buy more of whatever they want (besides the part where Coke makes various products like Sprite and such.) I was saying that it's revenue nonetheless, and the money doesn't have any less purchasing power just because it's dished out by the govt--hence important for those people who don't have other options for money at the time.

And you are right, interconnected markets do have problems, but they do have their perks, namely acess to a wider market, more competition,etc.

Well yeah, but I wasn't arguing against globalized markets there. I was just saying that this global volatility is what can be expected from globalized markets, and that the politics of one country can affect those outside of that particular country. Since the reality is our economies are very connected, the consequences can be similarly more widespread and "ripple-like"

And yes, the scenario you point out is troublesome especially if you have an economy in which the state / public service is the largest buyer (sometimes the only) and client of vital economic sectors.
Even worse in a state / public sector - dependent economy, the US for the most part is not going to be like Greece, Italy, Ireland or Portugal, for that matter, even when you take into account the amount of spending, goverment intervention and taxation.

Yes, but I didn't say anything about comparing US to the PIIGS, nor do I think it's a relevant comparison. I don't think US will turn out like them, certainly not in the near future.

The thing about the ACA is that it's most likely going to be too costly and a burden on businesses and general tax payers, I've seen some reports claiming that the ACA is going to be cheaper than expected, but alas, we are talking about short-term, long term is where we can actually see the true costs of such a program. ACA's already been showing some glaring problems from day 1, namely the mess regarding the healthcare.gov website which continues to produce some troubling insights:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/networth/article/Lower-2014-income-can-net-huge-health-care-subsidy-4891087.php

First, lower incomes (and certain age brackets) are supposed to get larger subsidies under this system.

Second, the system is predicated on functioning better with higher enrollments, specifically from those who are low-risk health wise. This is why there are basically no sensible long term projections--they need to see what the enrollments will be like, how the exchanges are being run, etc. etc. to determine pricing.

As for your article...??? It's primarily an advice article on how to report your income so you can qualify for subsidies. Tax reporting tricks. It also advises readers on health care options for people at varying degrees of the poverty level. The specific scenario reported featured a couple who was $2000 away from receiving a subsidy. The policies themselves are a different question--the part where California very likely has more options than most states notwithstanding. They could be made more efficient, sure.

As for the website, it's had both traffic and programming/data management problems (apparently the site could have been built better?). I don't see how that invalidates the program itself.

Is it better to let the states themselves decide what type of NHS-type system they would rather implement or have this massive program under federal watch? I don't know.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/15/us/states-will-be-given-extra-time-to-set-up-health-insurance-exchanges.html?_r=0

They have had the option of running their own system. There was a deadline for states to set up exchanges. The ACA asked for an exchange featuring private insurers coming up with plans while following certain caveats (no denial to those with preexisting conditions). There are states who have declined to set up their own exchange, and that's where the federal government steps in to create one. This, in the interest of getting more people healthcare, as opposed to previously where there would be less. Not that I don't think there's a better alternative.

Also speaking of which, you can remove funding from a program or act even if it's been written into law, the term "pull the plug" is an accurate description of that. And Congress has the power to enact changes and remove funding from programs.

You certainly can't defund or dismantle Obamcare via the fiscal year's budget. You could possibly call for repeal through Congress, but that hasn't been successful, and even then Obama would veto such legislation. The Supreme Court challenge failed too. That's what invalidates the perceived momentum the Tea Party took when deciding to go through with that narrative.

The aforementioned park and monument shutdowns or blockades, the latter being the more accurate is very troublesome. Why? Take the WW2 Memorial, it's in an open plaza, even if it's on federally funded-grounds, whoever gave the order to the National Park Services to barricade these open areas can be accussed of overeach and, worst of all, this could potentially be illegal. Even worse, it's directed that the general civilian population. The National Park Services do not own Mount Vernon or Mount Rushmore, if antyhing just the parking lot and that provides acess to them, yet someone gave the order to shut them down or rather barricade them.

http://www.eagletribune.com/local/x1442580353/Gestapo-tactics-meet-senior-citizens-at-Yellowstone

A bit to excessive, don't you think?

Those who want to challenge the legality of blocking certain things should do it formally then. Not this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/10/14/where-are-the-arrests-over-the-world-war-ii-memorial-protest/

That's not even a lawful protest. In any case, this isn't overreach in spite of the fact that the government owns certain pieces of land just because certain memorials were created with the purpose of public use. It's been long known in news coverage leading up to the shutdown that National Park Services were going to suffer closures. Why does the Tea Party get to retroactively protest the consequences of the shutdown they prepared themselves for when they didn't even make noise about such things in the first place? Turning the closure of National Parks into a political opportunity or deciding to rewrite the rules on accessibility is pure political theatre. And of course the barricades are directed at the general civilian population; the whole point of the shutdown was that lack of funding would prevent a public good's accessibility by the public. Also, Mount Rushmore is a national memorial--so the question there is pretty easily resolved. It was in fact opened by funding through funding from businesses and other organizations.

That being said--park rangers should do their jobs and disallow all people from entering a memorial (not just a privileged few), and not do this with hostility.

Also, with regards to this complaint about the House putting things at risk, need I remind you that the Senate, the democrat-controlled Senate has not passed a single budget since Harry Reid won the majority? Google "Harry Reid cancels vote" and you will be amazed as to how very little Democrats have done in the actual Senate.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_bills_of_the_113th_United_States_Congress#Introduced_in_the_Senate
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/113th-congress-bills_n_3563008.html

Now I'm not that enthusiastic about Harry Reid, and I don't know what the Senate Budget Committee or w/e was doing prior to 2011, but that is misleading.

The USA has a decentralized goverment, split into four active bodies: Congress, Senate, Administration, Courts. This system is in place for a reason, no governing body never at any point has complete control or power over any of the remaining bodies. This is what Democrats call Checks and Balances everything there's a Republican majority.

This is why I feel everyone is to blame.

For this discussion I'd eliminate the judicial section. Also, Congress comprises the Senate and the House.

Anyway, how did one body of government manage to force government shutdown if there are adequate checks and balances in place? Look at the House Republicans.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/13/house-republicans-rules-change_n_4095129.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

Yes, both sides have done lame things
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/14/congress-government-shutdown_n_4085699.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

The onus by way of the originating act, the terrible proposed ideas (continued sequester level funding, six-week funding options to give leverage for the future for those who want to use the debt ceiling as a negotiating trick, besides the dumb stuff like the Food Stamp cuts and 2011 cuts) and the preponderance of negative actions (propagation of lies, superbly dishonest and inflammatory use of rhetoric i.e. "Obama and impeachment over default" on Republicans.

I don't trust this equivalency. You don't get to use the federal budget as hostage for your political goals, and there's no reason why we should allow this sort of behavior every year. The Democrats were appropriate in not accepting their wishes to submit incomplete budgets or budgets with the cuts they want. They had ample to have their debates--had the GOP not listened to Ted Cruz (who was oddly absent for the greater part of the shutdown's aftermath, as other GOP members were irritated with him) this could have been avoided. Start passing complete and timely annual budgets like a functional Congress.

A howler monkey can make a far more profound and less cynical analysis of a Twitter remark, than anyone on that website.

A shame you don't go to PoliGAF. I think you'll get what you're asking for there.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:46 pm »
People are kidding themselves if they seriously believe that Obama is at fault for this (and believe me, I'm not a fan of all that Obama's done.)

Here's the thing. Republicans don't like Obamacare. Its passage goes against everything they stand for. Problem is.....it was VOTED FOR. It PASSED. It's law.

It passed by a slim margain, yes. A very slim margin. But it passed. A small victory doesn't change the fact that it passed. And then the country had the chance, another chance, to get rid of it by electing Mitt Romney. They didn't. Whatever the country thinks of Obamacare, they don't think badly enough of it that they'd elect a new president to get rid of it.

So he won. Let him enact it. If it bombs, a Republican president will be elected next election to get rid of it. A shutdown of the government (which will very soon have catastrophic results) is both pointless and dumb on the Republicans' part.

Offline Happy Cat

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:52:08 am »
one day left...

load up on your gunz n food boys we gon live like Americans!~ we dont need no gubment. (on a side note i'll probably end up dead if we do end up getting that savage. I don't have any guns, or a back supply of food)

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 11:11:20 am »
Well, it sounds like this pointless (and yes, REPUBLICAN CAUSED) shut down will be ending shortly. And it will pretty much involve Republicans getting virtually nothing for doing what they should have done weeks ago:

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/328803-boehner-to-allow-vote-on-senate-deal

Continuing CR until January 15th. Debt ceiling raised until February 7th. The only real changes here are income verification for ACA subsidies (which I could have sworn already existed, and from what I've read they do) and giving agencies increased flexibility in dealing with sequestration cuts, which is great imo, since sequestration probably isn't ending until one party or another takes both houses of congress and the White House.

Yes, the ACA apparently does have income verification. But I would guess that was is being proposed here is more stringent or something:

http://www.factcheck.org/2013/07/blunt-wrong-on-income-verification/

Sounds like another one of those health care myths that took a small potential issue and turned it into a huge problem. Either way, so long as it doesn't undermine the subsidies actually getting to the people who need them, this sounds like a good change.

It'll be good to see this end. Given how it went for Republicans (what with the crashing of their poll numbers in the Generic Congressional ballot, record low approval ratings for the party itself) I doubt they will b pulling this stunt again anytime soon. At least not next year. Maybe now that Democrats have called their bluff we can get some genuine negotiation without them constantly threatening to push the self destruct switch.

Of course, Boehner could always just say no again...but I don't see how that would end well for him.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:34:53 am by nuckles87 »

Offline nuckles87

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:28 am »
Aaaand it's official.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/www.washingtonpost.com/politics/house-effort-to-end-fiscal-crisis-collapses-leaving-senate-to-forge-last-minute-solution/2013/10/16/1e8bb150-364d-11e3-be86-6aeaa439845b_story.html

And just as I figured, Republicans are just asking for more stringent income verification (according to WaPo) for ACA subsidies. So long as it doesn't undermine those subsidies, I doubt anyone will have a problem with that.

This pointless crisis can't end soon enough. Good to see this damage Republicans as much as it has: everytime they do this my stocks go down (until it's announced that they probably won't pull the trigger, of course). Thank god next year is an election year, ought to rein in this nonsense...