Author Topic: Vanquish Demo Discussion  (Read 17185 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Vanquish Demo Discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 09:10:05 pm »
I know that 'some weapons' hit you behind cover and that some are destructible. But it seems to be only with bigger bosses and not when a regular bad guy shoots at you 800,000 times while you behind cover. Should have made walls more weak.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:23 pm »
First stage = learning curve stage. I bet that its gonna get more intense and interesting as you progress.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 01:39:04 am »
Quote from: "George"
I know that 'some weapons' hit you behind cover and that some are destructible. But it seems to be only with bigger bosses and not when a regular bad guy shoots at you 800,000 times while you behind cover. Should have made walls more weak.
I don't think bullets should be destroying thick covers, but anyway that's not I'm getting at.
The developers are giving you a choice whether you want to play it like a cover based TPS or go sliding everywhere, but they encourage the latter play style.

Making the cover get destroyed easily will be inconvenient for those who want to play it like Gears of War.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 03:47:00 am »
Do you get a lower score or some other kind of effect from staying in cover?

I think that would be fair enough, because if you are reallly struggling to finish the game you can use cover to your heart's content, but if you want to go for the high scores and get into the real meat of the game, you need to learn to get by without using it much.
Similar to Bayonetta and the lollipops, if you used them it hurt your score by a good degree. That way if you are struggling to get through a section you can say 'Fuck the high score' and just survive, but if you want to go for the real meat of the game and get high-scores, you can't really use them.

As long as it has some kind of negative effect, then it should be cool.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 06:04:39 am »
Yes, points are deducted for using cover. See at the end of the match it says a cover used %.
Made by SEGA

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 06:50:36 am »
Quote from: "George"
If the game is not mean't to be played behind a wall 24/7, they should have made the destructible.

My thoughts exactly. I'd probably like the game more if it was more like this, especially if I could destroy the enemies' covers. I did play more or less like those videos people posted and my feelings remain. It's still Gears on drugs. Actually, I felt the sliding to be a little plot to add some "coolness" to the game, it didn't seem crucial to use it, at least in the demo. The demo doesn't exactly invite the player to try a different approach from Gears anyway.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 11:26:50 am »
Yes it does... The game is score based like any good Sega game you get a score at the end taking into account a lot of thing... Such as how much cover you used, how many people you saved, time taken...

It is nothing like gears if you are playing it as it is ment to be played... Trying to better your speed and score on each run.

I've been playing the demo all day and I honestly think it might be the best 3rd person shooter I've played this gen, Try doing the level with out using any cover at all... It's great fun.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sharky

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 11:32:45 am »
Double post,

If I was making this game... I would have it so the plot twist at the end is that, Sam is actually a cripple and has to be in a wheel chair when he is outside of the suit. Wouldn't that be a real mind blowing twist?!

...Kind of want this to be real, seems almost as if it could be... *crosses fingers*
Made by SEGA

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 12:17:58 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
Yes it does... The game is score based like any good Sega game you get a score at the end taking into account a lot of thing... Such as how much cover you used, how many people you saved, time taken...

It is nothing like gears if you are playing it as it is ment to be played... Trying to better your speed and score on each run.

Cover is still part of the game. Unless you're in the elite that will be able to beat the game without using cover *at all*. I don't think I fit that select group.

I've been playing the demo all day and I honestly think it might be the best 3rd person shooter I've played this gen, Try doing the level with out using any cover at all... It's great fun.

Not that hard, truth be told. Personally I wouldn't expect anything less from PG, they did it with Bayonetta.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Ryan, you are just not playing Sonic 06 and Beast Rider right, these are actually great games you just have to play them better. :mrgreen:

*cough* Anyways, outside of the story EVERYTHING in Gears of War 2 (cannot remember if the first was) is score based, time and stuff is taken to account too, and to top it off it can be played with a large group of people too...

While I have not played Vanquish yet still, something I can say Gears does better is weapon variations and the active reloading system. I do not know why Vanquish has such generic weapons and the active reloading system is one of the best new concepts in games this generation I think... Perfect for a game you need to take cover in.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »
I'd play Sonic '06 a little more if it didn't appear on my gamercard. I think I need a second account for my shit games. But then again theres the G points.... gah!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 05:34:29 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
But then again theres the G points.... gah!

You ever gonna tell anyone what that fuckin' G stands for?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2010, 06:53:46 pm »
So I finally got around to playin it last night for a bit, holy crap I was bad at it. Got killed by the first guy like 5 times.

I was playing on Normal and without having done the tutorial yet, since I only had a few minutes to try it out, so I'm gonna give it a proper go later today. Even with just that though, it looked really really cool! Much more interested than I was previously.

I loved the fact that he somehow slid UP the stairs on his knees, that was funny.

EDIT:

Okay, now I've played it properly, I really am liking this a lot.
At first I was kind of underwhelmed, and didn't really like it all that much. Mostly getting frustrated with how easy it was to burn through the Boost/Attack meter.

When the boss arrived though, I really got into it, and I found myself having a lot of fun. The boosting looks incredibly cool and I love boosting around the stage going in and out of bullet time to attack enemies. I find that I hardly use cover unless i'm in trouble or cooling the suit down.

Aki-at even told me about how you can throw a grenade, then bullet time and shoot the grenade in mid-air! That was brilliant!

On my second playthrough I found the Sniper's Rifle, then discovered you can kill the Mech Operators and commandeer the mechs! Awesome!

One question though, what does smoking do? I've done it a few times but not sure what it actually is used for.

Offline Ulala5

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
One question though, what does smoking do? I've done it a few times but not sure what it actually is used for.

I did it a couple of times too but i neither understood HOW i did it and it happens just when i was hiding behind some wall  :|
Go Go Channel 5

[Xbox Gamercards

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2010, 01:15:07 pm »
Quote from: "Ulala5"
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

I did it a couple of times too but i neither understood HOW i did it and it happens just when i was hiding behind some wall  :|
It's to look like a badass  :afroman: