Author Topic: Shenmue City/Ys Net Topic!  (Read 41625 times)

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: Shenmue on Yahoo Mobage WTF? Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2010, 11:08:40 am »
Okay, fuck it, can someone just delete this thread? Please?  Or maybe lock it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2010, 12:42:49 am »
Quote from: "STORM!"
At least Im talking about newest things, not like you only talking about the old past of Sega whatsoever.

Yeah, Sega has thrown all Shenmue related things on the garbage, all the physics ones. They dont need it anymore.

It was said by an ex-Sega employee.

Haha, your sources are sketchy then. Why would a game company throw something like that away? They could easily at least sell it to Suzuki and make something off of it.

Quote from: "Mengels7"
Okay, fuck it, can someone just delete this thread? Please?  Or maybe lock it?

Dude, it's all Shenmue related, it isn't going to wreck the forum or anything.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:22 am »
Quote from: "Supa"

Haha, your sources are sketchy then. Why would a game company throw something like that away? They could easily at least sell it to Suzuki and make something off of it.

[/quote]

Its storm he's just winding people up with 'some' true laced with complete bull.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2010, 08:23:20 am »

Now that's confirmed! Sega has officialized [SHENMUE GAI]

The game is not a sequel, and it is actually a paralel world, where you begin in Yokosuka, exactly where Shenmue 1 has begun.

As you can see in the official site, there are some characters from the canceled [SHENMUE ONLINE]. As well they are reusing the CG models from the past titles.

The game is free, but the items not. You have to purchase them.

The service starts this winter in mobile version and PC version of Mobagee Town.

Sega is not developing it, Sega is not publishing it, Sega is not paying for it. Sega is just doing supervision.

The shocking news? The studio developing it is called "YS NET", that was build in November, 2008!!! The director and total developer is Yu Suzuki himself. He build this company and has been out of Sega since then. My God, Yu has abandoned Sega since 2008 and nobody knew that! He is now an independent game creator.

I can't believe the most iconic Sega's creator has pulled out... I'm completely sad and shocked for the rest of my life.

Since Sega is not going to publish this title, Sunsoft was the company who believed on it. They also have opened the official site for the social game.

http://sunsoft.jp/shenmue-gai/

And the official release from Sega:
http://sega.jp/corp/release/2010/1101/

A movie showing the game will be released soon.

The link from gamewatch:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/ne ... 04070.html

From the official release from Sega, sounds like they are not involved on the development, but it's still being a Sega title.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2010, 09:04:47 am »
I'm actually excited about all that news! Yu himself is behind it. Just the idea of him working on ANYTHING Shenmue really excites me.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2010, 09:09:49 am »
He did not leave SEGA in 2008. If you read the finical reports, he was still working at SEGA after 2008. You can start your own company and still work at another company.

See Mikami with Platinum Games. He started his own development company while working with Vanquish. Most likely, Yu started the company while still working at SEGA, if you read the other ones he was slowly being let go after each year. Probably a way of leaving the company by his own means.

Offline STORM!

« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:51 am »
Quote from: "George"
He did not leave SEGA in 2008. If you read the finical reports, he was still working at SEGA after 2008. You can start your own company and still work at another company.

See Mikami with Platinum Games. He started his own development company while working with Vanquish. Most likely, Yu started the company while still working at SEGA, if you read the other ones he was slowly being let go after each year. Probably a way of leaving the company by his own means.

It does not changes the fact he is not in Sega anymore...

Making a brand new social game... come on! -_-

Offline STORM!

« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2010, 09:40:46 am »
Ok! I got more info(faster than Sonic, huh!? ;p).

Looks like he has not left Sega completely. He is an independent creator now, but... his company is supposed to be at in the same place (or near) Sega or inside Sega official building.

There are no more info about his company at now ;P

A bit happier now XD!!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:32 am »
I don't get how a person working on a SEGA IP, who created the IP, and is still the same person as he was then, and is working on the IP again (albeit outside of SEGA) is suddenly a disgrace because he doesn't have the name "SEGA" on his business card.

And the whining about a social game needs to stop. The Shenmue series would never ever go from nothing to a huge third release, it needs baby steps. It has been, what, 8 years since the last release? SASASR playable character and Shenmue City are major strides for a series that had been dead for so long. Seeing these smaller projects makes Shenmue 3 much more of a possibility than before.

I say this is a very positive announcement!

EDIT: posted this as STORM posted, glad to see a happy face. :) I agree, it's always good to have that official connection, but I don't think it breaks the series. If anything, it's awesome that hes working with SEGA on Shenmue anything. And being independent allows him a bit more freedom to propose projects. Imagine SEGA publishing a Shenmue 3 with Yu hired as an indie dev just as SEGA has done with Sumo and Platinum! A man can dream...

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2010, 09:47:48 am »
Already posted it on the front page and sent it through the right channels ;3

Offline STORM!

« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2010, 10:46:14 am »
 Im not saying I dislike the works from people who have left Sega; I just dont wanna see them leaving Sega.

But, actually, most of the people who have left, has done almost "not so nice" games till now...

Personally, Mizuguchi is the only one who has made good things without Sega for me. Marc Cerny and Yasuhara have been made great things too, but they are not the main creators of the projects they have worked.

Its hard to work on games in Japan now, you dont have "freedom", and you also need a high budget to do things, and you cant earn that ammount of money without someone big (like Sega) behind you.

However, yeah, Barry is right. This game, Shenmue Gai (not machi) has everything to make a big profit for Yu, since social games are making a lot of money around the world, and tiny companies are now bigger in value than, for example, Electronic Arts  :shock:

The issue here, I think, is Sega. If the game makes profits, they might take all for them, LOL! Yu is lost XDDD

And now a curiosity: Sunsoft has developed and published [SUPER FANTASY ZONE] on the Mega-Drive in the past. This game is now available at the Wii Virtual Console. I think this is the second time they works with Sega.

Offline Alex Supersonic

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2010, 10:51:38 am »
I must admit, I'm a bit excited now. After the first announcement I didn't care about it, but this sounds interesting now.

I like the idea of a parallel story and that they are re-using parts of Shenmue Online and that SEGA is supervisioning it. I think this is a test for the franchise. With this parallel story they can test a lot of things, without changing too much of Shenmue and I'm sure if it will be a success it won't be the last Shenmue game.

Looking forward to see more.
[size=85]-----
former known as Ali[/size]

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2010, 11:19:28 am »
Yu Suzuki hasn't left Sega... He made a game in Sega that released in 2008.
I also see Segas logo on the website and the new banner so I assume they are pretty involved with this.

Where do you get the news that Sega wont put any money into it? I doubt thats true... It also looks like they will be co-publishing it.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2010, 12:08:32 pm »
I'll bet the "alternate universe" is more of a way of saying "replay Shenmue 1 in a different gameplay style". Unless they throw some sort of OMFG twists, like Chai killing Nozomi or Fukusan being one of the men in black.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2010, 12:46:24 pm »
Why do I get the feeling that this Shenmue City is really a repackaged Shenmue Online?