Author Topic: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America  (Read 112971 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2015, 08:49:12 am »
TRUE SEGA-SAMMY DNA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2015, 09:13:12 am »
SEGA HAS PUT OUT A NUMBER OF PRODUCT THAT WERE THE FIRST IN HISTORY AND THE WORLDS FIRST

'Has' being the operative word :(
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2015, 09:28:52 am »
Shenmue Online was years into development and even after 20 million spent on it a complete non show.

Actually, Shenmue Online's budget was WAY over that. It began with a 28 million dollar budget: http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s0preview.html

And that was in February 2003 when the game started development, when JCE was still working with newly formed Digitalrex at the time on the game. As you know, the game was well into development until some time in 2007, where it just keeled over and died. Suzuki confirmed in 2008, I think it was "pending", and we can only assume it is dead at this point.

But obviously it blew past the initial budget. How could it not?

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:55 am »
For some reason Sega has cancelled pretty much most of planned MMO ventures in the mid 2000's. There was supposed to be a Sakura Wars Online, Saint Seiya Online and some others.

Now they are expanding into it again, after PSO2 became the success it is.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2015, 02:43:41 pm »
? Content does mean a game is original and you'll be having almost the exact gameplay experience playing Yakuza 0 or Ishin on the PS3 as you would on the PS4  It's not new and at least with Capcom and Fromsoft upcoming last gen ports users not only get full 1080p and 60fps but the likes of Fromsoftware are also adding new content to Dark Souls Scholar of the Sin, but there again Fromsoftware are a class outfit.

Again you're mistaking AAA content as the only content when that isn't the case. Fact is wither it is on the PS3 or just the PS4 means nothing, people want content and Yakuza Ishin and 0 are both that.

You mean the old SEGA ? Says it all really. Trouble is under Sammy current model in 20 years time they'll be no classic SEGA games to milk, becasue these days SEGA don't make the classics like they use to 

No because I don't want to be playing Binary Domain on my smartphone. In this VERY TOPIC both me and Crackdude have said how we enjoyed SEGA's mobile output so you're having a strange rant by butting in against two people who are very much enjoying what's being offered.

Well games like GTA will leave Yakuza standing on that front so does Assassin's Creed. And huge ammount of content does not fit well with SEGA Japan focus on Mobile gaming

Again you are not understanding what content is. That is you know, video game content, the stuff people in this forum like.

The fact you're getting confused by my simple points leave me baffled.

Every corp will make the odd bad game and have the odd flop (even Nintendo) But plenty of publishers do rather well of the back of  their AAA games be that EA, Take Two, Nintendo, Capcom Activsion, Ubisoft , Square Enix Bethesda .

Right again you missed the point. You see George said there is no 100% success rate for AAA gaming amongst publishers, not that there is no success. So by admitting even Nintendo makes flop, thanks for proving my point?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2015, 02:48:57 pm »
No because I don't want to be playing Binary Domain
Neither do I, what a snore-fest.

:D

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2015, 03:04:28 pm »
Neither do I, what a snore-fest.

:D

Well I would have said Yakuza for you Mang but then we would have some random rant about that series not being high tech enough for mobile phones.

Also YOUR FACE is a snore-fest.

And your avatar is sadist shit too!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2015, 03:22:41 pm »
Well I would have said Yakuza for you Mang but then we would have some random rant about that series not being high tech enough for mobile phones.

Also YOUR FACE is a snore-fest.

And your avatar is sadist shit too!

I changed my avatar just for you, you big girl!

I wonder if Yakuza on phone could work. Considering the fights don't require TOO much directional input, you could map buttons to different corners of the screen, and point and click style interface for the exploration and talking....

Hmmmmm

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »
TA if you consider Bethesda's glitchy games and Nintendo's low budget games as 'AAA titles', what is a AAA title? Just sales or budget or quality? You just named a developers that have been releasing some of the worse next gen games. SEGA is doing better than Ubisoft in that front, Alien Isolation was way higher quality then the new Assassins Creed Unity game.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:02 am »
people want content and Yakuza Ishin and 0 are both that.

If a game doesn't have any content then you don't have a game . Again just by having content does not mean a game is orginial. And more people will buy Dark Souls II Scholar I willing to bet .

No because I don't want to be playing Binary Domain on my smartphone

Well the way SOJ is going you'll only be playing their major games on the mobiles .

You see George said there is no 100% success rate for AAA gaming amongst publishers

I don't think that was George point, but the fact is for the last 3 generations at least those publishers have done well off the back of their AAA games .

TA if you consider Bethesda's glitchy games and Nintendo's low budget games as 'AAA titles', what is a AAA title?

Every game has gliches (unless its Nintendo)  there's plenty in Shenmue and GTA V  for staters that shouldn't take away from the games overall quailty and when you start to get into a sandbox openworld game you're going to get bugs and glitches.  And you're being rather silly if you don't think that likes of Zelda, Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart 8 aren't top quailty AAA productions its not always about just money - To me a AAA game is when youre top team are given years to make a game and all the resoruces they need to make it .

You just named a developers that have been releasing some of the worse next gen games.

How do you know, youtube told you do even own a PS4 or XBox One much less any of those games?  . Assassin's Creed is a nice game with a impressive engine , Far Cry  4 is lovely not too bad for games made in the console 1st year on sale . Yeah Alien is a top game and ejoyed some nice sales  it too as the odd bug and Glitch btw) - that's what happens when you put some effort in and make a top quailty game for consoles , such a shame to see SEGA Japan all but give up on the consoles

[/size][size=78%]  [/size]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:06:48 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2015, 10:32:01 am »
If a game doesn't have any content then you don't have a game . Again just by having content does not mean a game is orginial. And more people will buy Dark Souls II Scholar I willing to bet .

As always you're projecting your own opinion of what you thought I said to what I actually said.

I have very clearly stressed content means games and both Ishin and 0 are new content for consumers. When Yakuza 6 happens, irregardless of console, I very much would call it new content. As I've said several times, you seem to be only looking at AAA content and not content of any kind that is directly aimed at core users. Or content as volume of gameplay which again is never what I said.

Well the way SOJ is going you'll only be playing their major games on the mobiles .

And I welcome the mobile games they put out since they usually are enjoyable.

But you're kidding yourself if you think that SEGA Japan will slowly stop making major console games, as I've said and proved, every Japanese publisher will have a major console series that sells well, the Sonics, the Metal Gears etc and pump their budgets into those titles. On the side they will have multiple mobile games and that's the way forward for them unless they enter exclusivity deals with the likes of Sony, which prop up titles like Yakuza, Deep Down and Street Fighter.

I don't think that was George point, but the fact is for the last 3 generations at least those publishers have done well off the back of their AAA games .

No it is exactly what George said and if you recall the likes of EA suffered heavy losses thanks to AAA gaming. What did they do? Double down on games that sell and consolidate around them. EA's retail release has dropped from 70+ games a year to 10 - 15 games a year, this is it, this is the core point, that content released by the major publishers have all shriveled and dried up. Except the likes of the console makers.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2015, 12:15:08 pm »
You guys think Sega will do another MMO sometime, other than PSO2? I woudn't mind them evolving PSO2 into different genres like Card III did.
Heck they have their own Online R&D Dept., I just found out.

In the Arcade they support up to 6 networked games, and on the mobile there are also several.

As Arcades are dying in Japan, I think they will put more resources simulating the success of PSO2. Given the genres Sega did Online before, we can expect table games, RTS, Arena Shooter or Card battles...

Valkyria Chronicles Online?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2015, 12:39:02 pm »
We can't even get PSO2 in the west...

Offline Trippled

« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2015, 12:42:55 pm »
We can't even get PSO2 in the west...

Yeah...I guess another Japan-only MMO :P Sega loves Asia-only things we can't play...

Seriously tough...they screwed that up bad. And it's not even "we can't do it its too expensive thing", its a missed oppurtunity for another cashcow. I hope the success of Valkyria Chronicles on Steam pressures them.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 01:20:05 pm by Trippled »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2015, 03:02:40 pm »
The biggest mess is how they are handling it. They treat it like it doesn't exist. I just don't understand why they can't give a reason.