Author Topic: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America  (Read 117482 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: The weak arm becomes the weak finger: 300 Jobs cut at Sega America
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2015, 08:30:27 am »
The argument is buying Sega Japan. They however, still contribute to a large asset of Sega Sammy's revenue (35-40%)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2015, 09:01:31 am »
NeoGAF is a fucking joke. Just be glad they aren't saying Anita Sarkeesian should buy Sega anmd remake all their franchises with more People of Colour and Trans people.

Having said that, I would totally buy a Yakuza game where you play as a pre-op M2F trans if the gameplay was intact.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2015, 09:20:16 am »
Ah...I usually ignore anything on NeoGAF that is a big topic (current big games, or Internet drama). It still is a bigger community even for more niche games (30 pages for Valk on PC and Y5, countless small OT threads)

I don't like their Mods...been a victim of a ban, and lots of good people that made countless posts get banned after one strike.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2015, 10:14:01 am »
SEGA is a big part of SEGA Sammy holdings and aren't being let go of anytime soon, but I suppose the Nintendo fans can keep dreaming. lol.

Persona, Yakuza, Miku, Sonic, Total War, Football Manger, PSO2, Mobile Games, PC RTS game domination. SEGA is a powerhouse right now. They aren't dying anytime soon.

I'm not a huge mmo fan in any way, but would definitely play pso2.

Yeah. Playing FFXIV this morning reminded me why I've generally never liked MMO's. They are confusing, slow, and time consuming. I want PSO2 localized so bad. Get it on PS4 (and XBOX One if MS is no longer being jerks about cross platform play). No reason it wouldn't be a success. Its free to play and you destroy things in fast paced combat. People love that kind of gameplay. It's not anything like an MMO.

Game also has some really sick CGI openings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm1ZPgxStE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6pvGoaAW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCtBS-sHOg
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:46:38 am by Happy Cat »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2015, 10:55:46 am »
NeoGAF is a fucking joke. Just be glad they aren't saying Anita Sarkeesian should buy Sega anmd remake all their franchises with more People of Colour and Trans people.

Having said that, I would totally buy a Yakuza game where you play as a pre-op M2F trans if the gameplay was intact.
"I'm not gay at all! I just enjoy sucking on pre-op M2F trans cock."
I heard this one once, cracked up like a peanut.
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
RTS fans call MOBAs 'One unit RTS games' as an insult. My understanding is you basically control one 'Hero' unit that has abilities. It's like a blend between RTS and MMO or something? I don't know, but I have no interest in playing them, or MMO games.

I think they are popular because they have  a lower learning curve than RTS, but still have a high enough ceiling to keep playing.

Learning curve than RTS? I find RTS to be easier to play, MOBAs are more highly competitive imo.

The thing is, controlling multiple armies doesn't make a game harder or deeper and even then, making a game harder to pick up is just bad game design. MOBAs are about working as a team of 5, it has more in common with Football (UK, aka SOCCER) and Basketball than it does with RTS games.

You have 5 people having their or separate jobs in the map, you need map control, you need to do last hits on minions, you need to poke and you need to get powers that will help your enemies in team fights. You have objectives in the maps you have to beat people to, its just a game where you play 40 minutes of trying to outsmart the other team.

There is a reason why the tournaments are huge for these games and will continue to grow. They are some of the most highly competitive games out right now due to always balancing and changing the game, keeping it fresh years after release (LOL came out in 2008).

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2015, 01:53:25 pm »
Learning curve than RTS? I find RTS to be easier to play, MOBAs are more highly competitive imo.

This is probably referring to keyboard shortcuts. In a MOBA with few exceptions, most keyboard shortcuts are focused on one character whether it be AOE or otherwise.

Total war isn't that hard to manage without keyboard shortcuts since you have a pause function. In a game like Starcraft, not knowing the bindings to your units or buildings will most assuredly put you at a disadvantage from a tactical standpoint to someone who does, consequently surrendering map control ect....whether this is described as a learning curve or not I guess depends on how a player interprets the design of the game/control

Personally I don't find most RTS's that hard to play, and I find most MOBA's to be even easier than even them. I do agree that MOBA's are more competitive of the two however.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »
SEGA is a big part of SEGA Sammy holdings and aren't being let go of anytime soon, but I suppose the Nintendo fans can keep dreaming. lol.

Persona, Yakuza, Miku, Sonic, Total War, Football Manger, PSO2, Mobile Games, PC RTS game domination. SEGA is a powerhouse right now. They aren't dying anytime soon.

Yeah. Playing FFXIV this morning reminded me why I've generally never liked MMO's. They are confusing, slow, and time consuming. I want PSO2 localized so bad. Get it on PS4 (and XBOX One if MS is no longer being jerks about cross platform play). No reason it wouldn't be a success. Its free to play and you destroy things in fast paced combat. People love that kind of gameplay. It's not anything like an MMO.

Game also has some really sick CGI openings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm1ZPgxStE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM6pvGoaAW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCtBS-sHOg

Those are really good trailers actually, gets me excited even though I shouldn't be cause Sega doesn't love me..

George, didn't know that's where DOTA came from. Sort of like how CS was a HL mod, cool stuff.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2015, 11:11:31 pm »
Nintendo leaves plenty of classic franchises on the table. Been over a decade since the last F-Zero game, the Metroid series won't have seen a new entry since 2010 and even further back for a good one (2007) what I expect people who want Nintendo to buy SEGA to do is just remake all these classic games or new entries, which just won't happen.

That and SEGA Sammy is what, worth $4 billion? Their physical assets alone are worth more than a billion dollars, does Nintendo have the cash to avoid them?

See it always ticks me off when people say that Nintendo should be buying SEGA because they'll make a game for [insert dormant property here], when indeed Nintendo themselves haven't touched certain highly requested properties themselves for a long time.  Nintendo ever buying SEGA would only use the Sonic property and maybe one or two more popular franchises...everything else would stay dormant.

At least Atlus now has a chance to make a game from a SEGA IP if they desire to do so.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2015, 11:23:34 pm »
I wouldnt want nintendo to buy SEGA period. But I do know that sonic's portrayal in smash bros is extremely satisfying.

My point is that I do wish SEGA as a company valued their IP's to the extent of nintendo. Having a strong identity and respecting them into detail. I mean at the end of the day it depends on how good of a taste the production lead has. Id say right now its not all that good.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:36:48 pm by CrazyT »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2015, 01:52:18 am »
Personally felt that Sonic Generations was a better tribute to Sonic fans than Smash.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2015, 03:20:25 am »
Again you're mistaking AAA content as the only content when that isn't the case.

Just don't come it . I made out that porting a PS3 game to the PS4 is hardly an original game , its a port . Assassin's Creed Unity is a totally original 'production'|(read not IP) for the next gen , built with new tech and takes advantage of extra power of this gen and also has bags full of content . That what's SEGA Japan should really be doing with Yakuza imo

When Yakuza 6 happens, irregardless of console, I very much would call it new content

A port by in large doesn't have new content its just a port and correct me if I'm wrong but PS 4 Ishi doesn't offer any new content over the PS3 version . And also its such a ridiculous thing to say anways . Any new game in a series will have new content even if it plays exactly the same , even games like each new Mario will have new content for each new game same of each new GT or Forza game .

But you're kidding yourself if you think that SEGA Japan will slowly stop making major console games, as I've said and proved

You're kidding your self . Its quite clear the direction Sammy is taking SEGA in and that's away from being a major player in the consoles , Still if you happy with the SEGA Japan  on the mobile then good for you , in 10 years time it all they'll be good at.

George said and if you recall the likes of EA suffered heavy losses thanks to AAA gaming.

Looking over the massive losses SEGA it' self have made (even some when under Sammy) I would put to you those losses were done for long term gains in terms of the NFL Deal, buying the likes of Bioware and Dice. 

EA's retail release has dropped from 70+ games a year to 10 - 15 games a year

List those 70 games EA produce in just one year ? .  EA is very productive and sure the game numbers have gone down but that's a reflection of what it takes to make big games and the fact that these days people are selective in the games they buy . SEGA Japan production on the consoles is poor by most of the major studio standards .

That and SEGA Sammy is what, worth $4 billion? Their physical assets alone are worth more than a billion dollars, does Nintendo have the cash to avoid them?

NCL could buy SEGA and Sammy and still have plenty of cash left in the bank. Aren't Nintendo cash reserves alone something like 13 billion dollars . Not that Nintendo would mind , SEGA have nothing to offer Nintendo .

You guys think Sega will do another MMO sometime, other than PSO2

PSO isn't a true MMO RPG really . But I would imagine they might for Asia most prob for the tablets and phones :(

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2015, 06:17:20 am »
Just don't come it . I made out that porting a PS3 game to the PS4 is hardly an original game , its a port . Assassin's Creed Unity is a totally original 'production'|(read not IP) for the next gen , built with new tech and takes advantage of extra power of this gen and also has bags full of content . That what's SEGA Japan should really be doing with Yakuza imo

You're failing to grasp the point as usual.

Content is video games, we are talking about new content, IE not a remake or remaster. We do not care if the content is cutting edge or not only if it's a good game. You first held a tunnel vision thanks to your AAA bias and now you're failing to understand the various instances of the word "content"

If you keep this up just stop getting yourself involved in these discussions.

A port by in large doesn't have new content its just a port and correct me if I'm wrong but PS 4 Ishi doesn't offer any new content over the PS3 version . And also its such a ridiculous thing to say anways . Any new game in a series will have new content even if it plays exactly the same , even games like each new Mario will have new content for each new game same of each new GT or Forza game .

As usual you're trying to throw the initial point in the long grass, the fact is Ishin is new gaming content. I never mentioned any of those games as not being new, the recent Mario is a new game, Forza 6 is a new game, The Last of Us remastered is not a new game = not new content, that's why I excluded Puyo Tetris from the new content moniker. This is not difficult to understand.

You're kidding your self . Its quite clear the direction Sammy is taking SEGA in and that's away from being a major player in the consoles , Still if you happy with the SEGA Japan  on the mobile then good for you , in 10 years time it all they'll be good at.

You're kidding yourself if you disagree with my point that Japanese publishers in general aren't heading this direction and are going to centralise around a few select IPs. If you think SEGA Japan will completely stop making console games than you'll find yourself proven wrong, as long as Sonic is a major seller in the West then he'll continue to appear on consoles.

Looking over the massive losses SEGA it' self have made (even some when under Sammy) I would put to you those losses were done for long term gains in terms of the NFL Deal, buying the likes of Bioware and Dice. 

Electronic Art's losses were not due to just those deals, an accumulated $1.5 billion in the red isn't down to any deal making. It's shown with the drastic reduction in their releases that more games failed than they hoped.

List those 70 games EA produce in just one year ? .  EA is very productive and sure the game numbers have gone down but that's a reflection of what it takes to make big games and the fact that these days people are selective in the games they buy . SEGA Japan production on the consoles is poor by most of the major studio standards .

There's clearly more than 70 titles in 2009 and probably over 100 different skus http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/619-electronic-arts

It's selective for you isn't it? We can apply the same sort of reasoning for Electronic Arts downscaling on SEGA then titles like Miku, Sonic, Yakuza and Phantasy Star are MASSIVELY bigger than their prior entries but please keep one eye shut on everyone but SEGA.

And of course please ignore that Capcom only has like what, 3 major original titles this year? Konami has 2 major original titles but no, let's focus on SEGA who still has comparable number of titles. The only ones that outstrip the Japanese developers are Western publishers and we're including their non-native studios to get there.

NCL could buy SEGA and Sammy and still have plenty of cash left in the bank. Aren't Nintendo cash reserves alone something like 13 billion dollars . Not that Nintendo would mind , SEGA have nothing to offer Nintendo .

Nintendo's cash reserves is $10.8 billion.

SEGA Sammy's cash reserves is $1.9 billion.

Nintendo's total physical assets is $10 billion.

SEGA Sammy's physical assets is $5 billion.

To purchase SEGA Sammy Nintendo would have to spend far in excess of the $4 billion I quoted, that'd probably be just for the SEGA part of the company, with Sammy it's going to be over Nintendo's cash reserves.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2015, 06:23:32 am »

See it always ticks me off when people say that Nintendo should be buying SEGA because they'll make a game for [insert dormant property here], when indeed Nintendo themselves haven't touched certain highly requested properties themselves for a long time.  Nintendo ever buying SEGA would only use the Sonic property and maybe one or two more popular franchises...everything else would stay dormant.

At least Atlus now has a chance to make a game from a SEGA IP if they desire to do so.

Exactly. Nintendo isn't some sort of magical savior who'll revive every single one of SEGA's IPs, we're/I'm still waiting on a new Advance Wars!

And Nintendo is an even worse in IP selection, if a title fails to sell a million they often place that title back in their catalogue. People don't realise it but if a title fails to sell a million Nintendo often locks out said franchise for a very long time.

I wouldnt want nintendo to buy SEGA period. But I do know that sonic's portrayal in smash bros is extremely satisfying.

My point is that I do wish SEGA as a company valued their IP's to the extent of nintendo. Having a strong identity and respecting them into detail. I mean at the end of the day it depends on how good of a taste the production lead has. Id say right now its not all that good.

I disagree with this, outside of the failed attempt at giving SEGA America to handle reboots (SEGA Europe was so much superior with the likes of Sonic Racing and SEGA Rally Revo.) and Sonic, what lack of love do you think SEGA showed their IPs?

I mean I get it if Sonic Generations wasn't for you, but like George said it's clearly a good game and Sonic Team did put a lot of love in it and it shows.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2015, 07:14:29 am »
One thing to note is that because of it's position as a top dog, Nintendo attracts lots of prospective developers. And so, many of the best people out there will work for Nintendo.

It's like why do you think Barcelona has such strong youth teams? Because just by being Barcelona kids want to play there, so the best ones stay in the club and in turn become superstars at the first team, which leads to more wins and recognition.

This also happens in gaming.
Sega was once bigger than Nintendo, do not forget this. And at this time Sega dev teams were filled to the brink with some of the best people in the industry. After the fallout, this changed.
I'm not saying Sega employees are shit nowdays. But the high concentration of talent in Nintendo makes their games better. This gives the illusion of them "caring about their IPs". It's easy to give some examples of Nintendo goofballing their IPs, but the gameplay still being top notch. Take a look at the Metroids and StarFoxes. F-Zero has been shelved for how long now? And why is Wario limited to casual minigames?

So yeah, Nintendo is just as shit at handeling their IPs as anybody else. BUT, the games have a certain superior quality to them at this point.
I've seen Sega trying their best to revive Golden Axe for example, but the quality just wasn't present.. what if it was?
SEG4GES