Author Topic: wake up project  (Read 26700 times)

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: wake up project
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:33 pm »
I agree digital has a place. However, when I buy a physical copy of a game I can sell that game if I want to. And rare games I can usually sell for more.

That's actual value.

Digital bits are literally valueless.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
By that logic condoms are also valueless because you can't sell them after you used them.

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2012, 05:46:14 pm »
I'm not sure where you think you're going with that, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of my shelves of Master System, Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast games.  I don't even want to think about the same volume of used condoms on my shelves.  Oh crap, I'm thinking about it!!

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »
By that logic condoms are also valueless because you can't sell them after you used them.

LOL! I love a good sexual analogy. Right on!

However, I see the point. Digital has it's drawbacks, just as physical copies have their own.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2012, 06:55:43 pm »
Digital is sex.

Physical is love.
SEG4GES

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »
Digital is sex.

Physical is love.

I want that on a T-shirt.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2012, 08:58:37 pm »
LOL! I love a good sexual analogy. Right on!

However, I see the point. Digital has it's drawbacks, just as physical copies have their own.
I definitely agree, I'm just saying it's hardly fair to say digital is 'Valueless' because of one minor drawback like re-sale value.

Digital is sex.

Physical is love.

Ha! I love that.

Offline thearcticsea

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 11:54:40 am »
I meant that it is valueless in that it has no actual, real world value.

That is indisputable.

I like digital just fine, but I will always buy a physical copy over digital because I always think long term. I won't pull out a file and dust it off in ten years to play it again.

In fact, usually my digital games eventually get deleted in favor of a newer game that needs the storage space. Years later I vaguely remember I might have at one time played some digital game or another... But I never forget playing physical copies of games because I see them in my study staring at me, reminding me of the good times I had playing them.

This argument, like nearly all arguments, is one that is pointless. No one's opinion has ever been changed on the internet. To each his/her own!

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:06 pm »
Computers fail, bro. Shit happens. I highly doubt someone sat down and said, "You know what, fuck all that hard work in creating an incredible RPG. I'm gonna' delete it all." Seriously, I'm sure it was accident or a techincal hiccup.

No they lost a lot of codes. Its common knowledge with many Sega fans or i thought it was. The reason they were able to do the GUARDIAN HEROES HD remake was because Treasure had the source codes of the original game. But many including the original PANZER DRAGON series were lost, thats why every time they release a various copy of the game its the PC version and not the original saturn game. it was a crazy period within sega at that time, infighting between SOJ and SOA, infighting between teams, infighting between Sega and second parties, lack of caring..chaos. it wasn't a great time to be an employee there. Despite the fact many great titles arose from that period. only the real big games were protected or survived like NIGHTS because of Sonic team or SAKURA TAISEN and the like because of the fact that the second party managed to retain the original source codes. 

Offline thearcticsea

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »
Is it impossible to pull the code off of a game disc? I don't know much about this stuff, but it seems that if the software is on a disc then couldn't they use some sort of platform to access the software code? Don't indie developers, hackers, and fan projects do this all the time?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2012, 04:07:40 pm »
I'm an idiot when it comes to the super technical stuff, but I assume the code does not equal what is on the disc. They could conceivably emulate a Saturn and play the game with the data on the discs, but they could not port the game like NiGHTS or Guardian Heroes because they don't have some important data. Maybe some brainiac could fill me in on what exactly was lost and why it is so important to a rerelease?

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2012, 05:16:16 am »
From the little technical stuff I know, it's like the following:

Imagine the source code is "5+2+1" which equals 8.
The product in the disc is a button that when pressed gives you 8, but you can't see the calculations behind.

And different systems have different ways of making the same calculations. So you either alter the code, or you have to reverse engineer the whole game.
SEG4GES