Author Topic: What Toshihiro Nagoshi would've done before games  (Read 25311 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: What Toshihiro Nagoshi would've done before games
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2011, 07:13:35 am »
Quick, someone find the Binary scans!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2011, 08:29:40 am »
 I've found a new pic showing the new character!!!

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2011, 10:05:27 am »
Quote from: "TaroYamada"
No, I totally understand that, rather it's the games SEGA makes now that disappoint. I love Valkyria, maybe more than Skies, I also enjoy Yakuza, but it's rather there is no risk taking like Jet Grind or Rez anymore it would seem.

But one game you just claimed you love was a massive risk by SEGA, Valkyria Chronicles was a new major IP, a SRPG (Historically the weakest subgenre of RPGs) and on a HD console. The game meet none of it's commercial targets and the only reason it continues is because of dedicated fan support.

SEGA still takes risks, every company does, but you have to balance it, both Dreamcast era SEGA and EA recently shown that taking risks does not give you success. Infact Rez and Jet Set Radio sold less than Yakuza 1, and Yakuza 1 was an absolute failure for SEGA in N America.

Also I think some of your dates are off, Dreamcast was around from late 98 to early 2001, ~2 years and 4 months (not gonna bother getting the exact amount).

Just take out Yakuza Kenzan, Valkyria Chronicles, Sonic Unleashed and Phantasy Star Zero and the list should still work!

It doesn't really matter, SEGA has increased quality and I won't argue it because it's true, but they aren't as good as they were.

It really depends on who you ask!

Whilst the Dreamcast had many unique and stylish games, I just did not find any (Barring Yu's efforts) to be designed as well as many of their Mega Drive games, or as good. And considering we still got to see what other porjects for the DC were thanks to them moving to the PS2, GC etc, I just do not think the Dreamcast era SEGA is as impressive as some people make it out to be.

So I'd say this decline started as far back as the Mega Drive for me!

They have made some of my favorite games this gen as well, but from my perspective SEGA was the best, the best of all time. So losing what I view as the main creative force in the industry and then seeing the industry in a state that I view as pretty stagnant, with some exceptions, compared to previous ones doesn't exactly inspire me.

The major problem with the industry is expense now, production values are too high and it's causing a strain on most developers that are not linked with a major publisher. THQ, Electronic Arts and TakeTwo are all still in the red this generation.

Back then the industry was cheaper to develop for, taking a risk wasn't as hazardous as it is now. We are in the years of record production value but not record profits, instead record losses, should tell you something is wrong right there.

Also Doctor Who : D, nice!

You wouldn't happen to be a fan, would you?

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2011, 02:03:28 pm »
i just found out that there is a huge article about SEGA this Week in Famitsu.

rough translation
Next issue, May 12.19 Weekly Famitsu No. merger day
Special price 400 yen [tax] on sale Thursday, April 28!

- 25th Anniversary Special: Features - Sega

"Video Games" has attracted its own fan since I was born the term recalls the history of Sega. In addition, the company's popular genealogy series, those involved in Kipason interview, Sega's popular character and Tamotsu Hiroshi addition, full marks featured Gotae reading!

also
Others ※, will introduce a number of Sega's new!

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2011, 02:04:31 pm »
Quote from: "STORM!"
 I've found a new pic showing the new character!!!

lmao

Offline Sharky

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »
Segas new what?
Made by SEGA

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2011, 02:16:08 pm »
^^
this is google translation, most likely it means number of new announcements  

this is the original post
次号、週刊ファミ通5月12・19日合併号は
特別定価400円[税込]で4月28日木曜日発売!!

【25周年特別企画:セガ特集】

"テレビゲーム"という言葉が生まれたころから独自のファンを集めてきた、セガの歴史を振り返ります。また、同社の人気シリーズの系譜と、それらに関わるキーパソンへのインタビュー、さらにセガの人気キャラクター大全など、読みごたえ満点の特集です!

【特別付録:ゲームファンが選ぶ優良ゲームランキング】

読者がゲームを採点するコーナー"ユーザーズアイ"のデータをもとに、評価がとくに高かった2010年度発売のゲームソフト上位70本を、一冊の小冊子にまとめてご紹介します!

【4号連続特別企画:春の大プレゼント祭り!!】

ニンテンドー3DS本体やプレイステーション・ポータブルのハンターズモデルなど、ハードとソフトを合わせて300名以上にプレゼントする特別企画を実施します!

【ゲーマーズエンジェルコンテスト】

読者の皆様から多数のご応募をいただき、厳正なる審査を重ねた結果、ついに2代目エンジェルが決定! 初代エンジェル・伊藤恵ちゃんの後を継ぐのは誰なのか? 乞うご期待!!

【攻略企画:最後の約束の物語】

物語中盤までの、難度の高い敵を撃破するための戦法を中心に、バトルシステムの効果的な利用法を指南していきます!

【特集】

El Shaddai ASCENSION OF THE METATRON(エルシャダイ アセンション オブ ザ メタトロン)

【攻略企画】
 第2次スーパーロボット大戦Z 破界篇
 モンスターハンター フロンティア オンライン
 モンスターハンターポータブル 3rd
 ドラゴンクエストモンスターズ ジョーカー2 プロフェッショナル

【その他のおもなタイトル】
 パンドラの塔 君のもとへ帰るまで
 どきどきすいこでん

※その他、セガの新作を多数紹介予定!!

also from GAF
This week Famitsu's special Sega cover (front page) is quite amazing :D

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2011, 02:30:13 pm »
Looks like SEGA is gearing for a new Shining game too

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... ning-force

"It's been ten years since the Shining series was re-invented," he commented, referring to 2002 GBA effort Shining Soul, developed by Grasshopper Manufacture.

"Currently, we're preparing a title that sums up the whole series and should provide an answer to users' curiosity. I can't give details yet, but I'd like to reveal it before we go too far into the future."

First popularised on the Mega Drive back in 1992 with Shining Force, the last game in the 28 title-strong franchise to see an English language release was Shining Force EXA on the PlayStation 2 back in 2007.

"Shining is a long-running series, but development work largely stopped on it for a period of time," Sawada explained.

"We redeveloped and resurrected the name as SEGA shifted from hardware to software, and the goal for the games I've worked on is to target a large swathe of the userbase and do something that hasn't been done before with the series. That's still the direction I take today."

Not that many of us care considering what he has done to the Shining series but with what Suzuki Yu said, seems like quite a few announcements are going to start popping up.

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2011, 02:34:03 pm »

Offline Sharky

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2011, 02:40:39 pm »
For the love of god... can this please be a real Shining Force game?
Made by SEGA

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2011, 02:58:18 pm »
about Binary Domain
http://www.1up.com/news/return-visit-binary-domain

Yakuza Staff recalling the past of the series
http://www.1up.com/news/yakuza-staff-series

lol i think we need to open a new thread for Famitsu news :P

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »
This might be old, but I'm gonna post the awesome Binary Domain art I found today!

Lower Town

Upper Town:

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2011, 03:55:25 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
They have made some of my favorite games this gen as well, but from my perspective SEGA was the best, the best of all time. So losing what I view as the main creative force in the industry and then seeing the industry in a state that I view as pretty stagnant, with some exceptions, compared to previous ones doesn't exactly inspire me.

The major problem with the industry is expense now, production values are too high and it's causing a strain on most developers that are not linked with a major publisher. THQ, Electronic Arts and TakeTwo are all still in the red this generation.

Back then the industry was cheaper to develop for, taking a risk wasn't as hazardous as it is now. We are in the years of record production value but not record profits, instead record losses, should tell you something is wrong right there.

Also Doctor Who : D, nice!

You wouldn't happen to be a fan, would you?

This thread is quickly turning into something else so I shall keep it fast; I understand why the risk taking is happening less, Sony and MS have misunderstood what consumers desire (clearly given the Wii and DS' sales) and have decided to push tech too fast forcing them to price their products high. Hence Sony went from extreme market dominance to third place. It has caused a ton of damage to the third party scene as well.

Still I cannot help but feel had things played out differently for SEGA, whether that be they never left the console game, or if Sammy had never merged with them and they maintained independence as a 3rd party that there would be a lot more innovative games along the lines of Valk. Valk definitely was the quality of a SEGA first party game, so I am aware they can still do it sometimes. It needs to get off PSP though.

Also you didn't like the Dreamcast era? Chu Chu Rocket is one of the best puzzle games of all-time  :shock: Are you one of those odd folks who doesn't like Jet Grind? Like Uranus? The only game disappointing to me on Dreamcast was VF 3, I am a huge Virtua Fighter fan and VF 3 wasn't up to snuff with VF 2 I feel. The Daytona USA port could have had better controls too, but I got used to them and they really were not that bad.

Yes, I am a fan of the Doctor : P

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »
This thread is quickly turning into something else so I shall keep it fast; I understand why the risk taking is happening less, Sony and MS have misunderstood what consumers desire (clearly given the Wii and DS' sales) and have decided to push tech too fast forcing them to price their products high. Hence Sony went from extreme market dominance to third place. It has caused a ton of damage to the third party scene as well.

Well my point was not risk taking is happening less, it's happening more, it just so happens to not include games developed solely for artistic merit!

Still I cannot help but feel had things played out differently for SEGA, whether that be they never left the console game, or if Sammy had never merged with them and they maintained independence as a 3rd party that there would be a lot more innovative games along the lines of Valk. Valk definitely was the quality of a SEGA first party game, so I am aware they can still do it sometimes. It needs to get off PSP though.

It's impossible for the merger with Sammy not to happen, too many games bombed and in particular, those extremely creative ones failed to make any money for SEGA. I just do not see how they could continue producing said innovative games when the market was openly rejecting all those titles.

And I actually consider Valkyria, whilst a very good game, not upto SEGA's best, infact the titles I previously mentioned in Yakuza 3 and 4 have it beaten in every department except for gameplay, which depends on  what you prefer (In which again I prefer Yakuza) so whilst a good game, not SEGA's best.

But at the end of the day, I prefer fun to innovation, so whilst say, Afterburner Climax is not innovative, I'd rather play that than Valkyria Chronicles.

And finally, you will never see Valkyria Chronicles on home consoles again unless SEGA does not mind losing money, sales just weren't good enough!

Also you didn't like the Dreamcast era? Chu Chu Rocket is one of the best puzzle games of all-time  :shock: Are you one of those odd folks who doesn't like Jet Grind? Like Uranus? The only game disappointing to me on Dreamcast was VF 3, I am a huge Virtua Fighter fan and VF 3 wasn't up to snuff with VF 2 I feel. The Daytona USA port could have had better controls too, but I got used to them and they really were not that bad.

They weren't disappointments, however they were radically different from the SEGA games I grew up in in the 80s and early 90s and when I compare stuff like the classic Sonic games, the Shinobi titles, Ristar, Phantasy Star, Shining Force etc I really just don't see that period being as great as it's made out to be. A good period none the less, but I think people are overrating many titles from that period of SEGA.

Yes, I am a fan of the Doctor : P

You have brilliant tastes :afroman:

In any case, I do find it funny how since Cube's meltdown we've been having announcement after announcement, SEGA must browse the forums.

Offline tarpmortar

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »
Quote from: "Aki-at"
Giant fat, getting humongous discussion quote

@Risktaking Risk taking is happening hardware wise, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. Regardless I am not into gaming for the hardware I am in it for the software.

@Merger I also understand that a merger needed to happen, I would have preferred it with someone else, but I get that it had to happen. I am just saying that stuff figuratively, as a what-if. I also understand Valkyria's sales situation, but I mean that I want it on the Nintendo handhelds (3DS) over the PSP, not necessarily home consoles. Should have been more specific about that, sorry.

@YourDreamcaststance I love the Genny period, and agree that it was probably Sonic Teams' best, though I love them all, still I think that SEGA had a lot more variety during the Dreamcast era because they broke their studios up into separate entities. I know there isn't as much variety on Dreamcast as Genesis given its' entire lifespan, but I mean for the time the devs were given on 'Cast it was pretty damn amazing given how little time there really was.

@Cubecomment, yeah we are getting a lot of good announcements, I think even Cube is excited for some.

@DoctorWho I know I do  8-) .