Author Topic: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed disscussion  (Read 253107 times)

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
Re: SEGA announces Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2012, 11:42:11 am »
It's true that the tracks could use more gimmicks, but a lot of Mario Kart tracks suffer from the lack these as well, except a few ones.   ASRT has the transforming as a gimmick, which brings me to another point:

I was worried whether the Air/Water sections will take the majority of gameplay, this is a "Kart" racer after all, but watching the Panzer Dragoon track, it only had 2 transformations in the whole 3 laps, and they were brief, and most importantly, looked really fun.

Did anyone notice you can fire the "Ice" weapon both infront of you and behind you?

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Barry.

I also wanna say that I felt the same as Sharky. Mario kart is boss when it comes to distinguising each stage from each other to a great degree with all of them having a totally different identity. Mario karts tracks are really well varied and feel totally different from each other.

I don't wanna compare these 2 different games because they are not supposed to be copying each other in the first place. I think the first allstar game had a few good tracks with cool gimmicks but alot of em did feel just like "drifting" tracks where there were long roads and turns with nothing in the way.

The golden axe track shows those dragons and lava on the roads for example. Those are very nice gimmicks but they're too far between each other.

But Sumo has also clarified time and time again that the current build is very different from even the E3 build so it is too early to judge perhaps, and all in all I would still be totally satisfied with where the game is heading right now. Day one buy on steam for me
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:02:34 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »
Just a thought- what chance is there of some Renegade Ops representation? I know it's probably not the first thing that come to mind when you think of a SEGA ip, but if the Bonanza Brothers can make the cut, then why not? It'd make some sense too, as the characters all have their own vehicles and special moves (Diz's EMP, Roxy's air strike etc.) and in several levels you need to fly a helicopter as well. Add in a hovercraft for the water sections and you're good to go.

Doubtful. These sorts of games are for promoting series and cashing in on nostalgia. Renegade ops does neither, really, despite being a fun game.

Offline SaturnineNights

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »
Who else is ready to see Billy Hatcher retired as an All-Stars character, or used in some substantial way beyond being in one game? It seemed like the first All-Stars Racing was just overloaded with Billy Hatcher miscellany, and the character was only in that one game, which I don't recall being particularly successful or well-liked. (I played through it just so I could try out that downloadable Game Boy Advance NiGHTS "port," and to see NiGHTS in-game.)

I have a hunch Ristar is a fairly likely character, given his appearance in that ASR DLC, and I'd really like to see Space Harrier playable, since we got Opa-Opa last time.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #94 on: July 06, 2012, 06:27:44 pm »

I have a hunch Ristar is a fairly likely character, given his appearance in that ASR DLC, and I'd really like to see Space Harrier playable, since we got Opa-Opa last time.

I would love to see Ristar as a playable character. His stretchy arms could make for a really neat All-Star Move! 
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2012, 08:41:09 am »
NiGHTS and Reala announced as racers, and a NiGHTS track too!

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/07/07/nights-announced-as-racer-and-track-in-sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed/

---

Updated the post with a link to NiGHTS gameplay footage

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:09:05 am by Barry the Nomad »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2012, 11:15:38 am »
Wow, great week for Nights fans!
SEG4GES

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2012, 01:51:35 pm »
One of Sumo devs just said this:
They start off as the characters at the start line and transform into the vehicles to join the race! The Jailer and Nightopean just drop in for the ride really, as they aren't really drivers as such!
That sounds really cool.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »
Re: Too many Sonic Team franchises

I don't have a problem with this, as long as they highlight the GOOD Sonic Team franchises. Steve Lycett stated that Sonic Team IPs are the easiest to get approval on, I'm assuming because Iizuka and co. are fully onboard with the All-Stars games. If Transformed features Sonic, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star Online, Samba de Amigo and Chu Chu Rocket (perhaps as a battle arena?) then I'm all for it. As long as they leave out Billy Hatcher and some of the newer Sonic stuff. I'd prefer it if they used Genesis/Dreamcast games for tracks.

Offline SaturnineNights

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2012, 04:50:52 pm »
Is PSO still a Sonic Team franchise? I don't exactly know who's in charge of PSO2, now that I think of it...

Filed under "absolutely the most unlikely racer imaginable," I'd love to see The Ooze as a playable character, especially since NiGHTS and Reala have opened the doors for "transformative" characters, instead of vehicles. This makes Vectorman seem really likely to me, as well...

The protagonist from Comix Zone, whose name escapes me, would be cool too. It's too bad STI shut down after Sonic X-Treme....there was a lot of promise in that studio.

Also, YAY NiGHTS THIS IS THE BEST WEEK EVER
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:52:58 pm by SaturnineNights »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2012, 04:54:26 pm »
Not sure of PSO2, but I'd assume Sonic Team still has control over the art styles and characters of PSO and the portable games they've worked on. A "Phantasy Star" track would be awesome, using the PSO art style.

Offline SaturnineNights

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »
Heh, I'd settle for a Rad Rappy as a playable character. It occurs to me that PS doesn't really have any recognizable characters, so I'm not sure who they'd use for a racer. (But then again, Danica Patrick, so I guess they could just pull something generic out.)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »
1 racer I can understand, but 2? Waste of a slot I'd say, but I suppose they're going to go with the usual Sonic Team representations as the prior to 2 games, shame really but can't be helped, it does have Sonic only in the title for that reason.

Heh, I'd settle for a Rad Rappy as a playable character. It occurs to me that PS doesn't really have any recognizable characters so I'm not sure who they'd use for a racer. (But then again, Danica Patrick, so I guess they could just pull something generic out.)

Get ouuuuuuuuuuut!

Phantasy Star 1 - 4 has some of the best characters to ever grace video games, Alys Lansdale all the way!

I rather we get something from classic Phantasy Star than Phantasy Star Online though, thanks to the fact of vehicles in the classic games like the Land Rover would be perfect for this game.

Re: Too many Sonic Team franchises

I don't have a problem with this, as long as they highlight the GOOD Sonic Team franchises. Steve Lycett stated that Sonic Team IPs are the easiest to get approval on, I'm assuming because Iizuka and co. are fully onboard with the All-Stars games. If Transformed features Sonic, NiGHTS, Phantasy Star Online, Samba de Amigo and Chu Chu Rocket (perhaps as a battle arena?) then I'm all for it. As long as they leave out Billy Hatcher and some of the newer Sonic stuff. I'd prefer it if they used Genesis/Dreamcast games for tracks.

This is incorrect. SEGA's marketing men are stumbling blocks here, AM2 was willing to give entire courses form their racing games (And much more) but my understanding was Sumo opted out of this and/or SEGA's pesky marketers got in the way.

Having a heavy Sonic Team representations has nothing to do with Iizuka and co being onboard though, Sonic Team are not known for co-operation.

Offline batfax

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2012, 05:55:17 pm »
Yeah, PS has plenty of characters, locations, and vehicles to pull from. Even PSO had Red Ring Rico, who was pretty much the entire driving focus of the story. I'd be sad if they skipped over it again. I've wanted something from Phantasy Star in this series since Tennis. =\

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:39 pm »
Summer of Sonic stream was awesome. Can't wait to wear this at Sonic Boom.

As for the roster, I don't mind if there's popular Sonic Team characters in the game but not too much of them. I would like to see some more cult following Sega franchises even if they only had a eastern release.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site