Author Topic: My second RROD  (Read 8228 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: My second RROD
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 07:01:18 am »
Quote from: "George"
I never had RROD, But I had other issues not covered by Microsoft's 3 year warranty.

Regardless, there is a fix for RROD if you are out of warranty, tis on the youtube. Just means you have to take the console apart and the 360 isn't the easiest thing to take apart, i mean, when it comes to opening the thing. It isn't rocket science, but it could have been a lot easier, especially if failure rate was going to be so high.

I suggest you look into fixing it yourself, it isn't that hard.
Neither does it work most of the time.

My Xbox RROD out of warranty. I had to pay 80€ to get it fixed or buy a new one. In my mind I'm like "Hell! I'm not spending another 300 bucks on the exact same product" neither was I to spend 80 bucks on fixing it with high chances of it breaking again with no warranty.

So I ordered a 25€ repair kit off the net. It's the method that it's on Youtube but it has special made parts, instead of using coins or whatever.

I took it apart. Easy as pie if you have the correct tools. I did it all alright. Closed it up, turned it on... It lasted like half an hour. No good.

So I bought a PS3. Sold all my XBox games and bought PS3 games.
Until now my experience with the PS3 has been by far inferior regarding online services and user friendlyness (buy new game, turn it on, wait THREE HOURS FOR UPDATES, get to menus, realize it's 2AM). But I usually play offline, the games are nearly the same on both consoles and this one won't break.

It also seems that the PS3 is becoming the hardcore console now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 03:59:08 pm »
A friend of mine fixed his RROD, he bough his around the same time as mine.
He's got skills repairing cellphones and such, so he decided to take a crack at it.

He says that that thermal paste used on the 360 is just terrible.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 07:43:34 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
I never had RROD, But I had other issues not covered by Microsoft's 3 year warranty.

Regardless, there is a fix for RROD if you are out of warranty, tis on the youtube. Just means you have to take the console apart and the 360 isn't the easiest thing to take apart, i mean, when it comes to opening the thing. It isn't rocket science, but it could have been a lot easier, especially if failure rate was going to be so high.

I suggest you look into fixing it yourself, it isn't that hard.
Neither does it work most of the time.

My Xbox RROD out of warranty. I had to pay 80€ to get it fixed or buy a new one. In my mind I'm like "Hell! I'm not spending another 300 bucks on the exact same product" neither was I to spend 80 bucks on fixing it with high chances of it breaking again with no warranty.

So I ordered a 25€ repair kit off the net. It's the method that it's on Youtube but it has special made parts, instead of using coins or whatever.

I took it apart. Easy as pie if you have the correct tools. I did it all alright. Closed it up, turned it on... It lasted like half an hour. No good.

So I bought a PS3. Sold all my XBox games and bought PS3 games.
Until now my experience with the PS3 has been by far inferior regarding online services and user friendlyness (buy new game, turn it on, wait THREE HOURS FOR UPDATES, get to menus, realize it's 2AM). But I usually play offline, the games are nearly the same on both consoles and this one won't break.

It also seems that the PS3 is becoming the hardcore console now.
Updating on PS3 and Xbox Live has always been a pain for me. Downloading stuff takes forever on both consoles and I think it has something to do with the way my 'internet company' handles data. Like, torrents will go fast (300kb+ download) but stuff like demos on PSN/XBLA take about.... 12 hours sometimes (yes, lame).

I'm happy with my experience on PS3, sure, some features are superior on Xbox, but its nothing to sway me away from the console.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:38 pm »
I don't know how it is now, but back when it was released and I got my XBox, every unit came with a headset. That alone made online gaming much more fun, cause everyone had their headsets on.

It's that kind of thinking that made MS the best! Unfortunately they seem to be shifting towards a completely different direction now. As a PS3 owner I hope Sony takes advantage of that.
SEG4GES

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 04:00:21 am »

Updating on PS3 and Xbox Live has always been a pain for me. Downloading stuff takes forever on both consoles and I think it has something to do with the way my 'internet company' handles data. Like, torrents will go fast (300kb+ download) but stuff like demos on PSN/XBLA take about.... 12 hours sometimes (yes, lame).

I'm happy with my experience on PS3, sure, some features are superior on Xbox, but its nothing to sway me away from the console.

You may have already done this, but if you are using a network/router, you can make your 360 a DMZ, which means it has no filters on it at all. It's safe for 360 since everything is just through Live and you can't get a virus anyway. Not sure about the safety of doing it with PS3, but I imagine it should be safe. Not sure if it will dramatically increase your speed, but it might help a bit at least.

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 10:12:42 pm »
Since I'm going to post to make Shadi happy.

This is what you get for not getting a PS3.

Ho ho ho ho

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2010, 01:10:58 pm »
I do have a PS3, twerp.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 04:04:36 pm »
I'll fix it for you. >_>

"HO HO HO YOU BOUGHT FAIL60"

Happy? >_>

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 04:51:06 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
I'll fix it for you. >_>

"HO HO HO YOU BOUGHT FAIL60"

Happy? >_>

Theres really not much point to this kind of trolling, pal.

Anyway, sadly the RROD will soon no longer be around. The new models have removed it.  :|

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »
People have been saying there is still issues with them and now there is no 3 year warranty. I think 3 year warranty should be a standard on anything costing over 300 bucks.

But that is just me.

Again, I don't know anyone that owns the new 360s, so I can't say if they break or not. Might be an online story that got mixed with fanboy hate.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 06:06:47 pm »
People have been saying there is still issues with them and now there is no 3 year warranty. I think 3 year warranty should be a standard on anything costing over 300 bucks.

But that is just me.

Again, I don't know anyone that owns the new 360s, so I can't say if they break or not. Might be an online story that got mixed with fanboy hate.

Oh, I'm not saying they dont break down, just that the red lights have been removed. It'll still break, but it won't have that iconic Death Stare.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 06:54:05 pm »
The red rings are removed! Rejoice!

Oh, the nice lights are gone. :/